RoziSILVER Member
100 characters max...
2,996 posts

Posted:
If I am teaching someone something basic & simple, I stand in front of them & a little to the side and demonstrate first without the staff in my hand, and then with. Two good reasons for doing this, firstly, it helps them concentrate on what your hands are doing rather than the toy itself. & second, you wouldn't believe the number of people who stand too close. If you show them without the toy in your hand the first time around, they get the chance to picture which way it will come from to hit them in the face!!!

R.

It was a day for screaming at inanimate objects.

What this calls for is a special mix of psychology and extreme violence...

CassandraFroggie ... Ribbit !!!
4,224 posts

Posted:
I like and need to look at a move from different angle. I think it adds a lot.
When I teach I also try and show from idfferent angles. I also try and show hands separately (when needed).
I assume you are asking also for videos ? Then may I suggest some slow motion for complicated moves ? I try to do "live slow motion" sometimes when I teach - not always managing though
For a beginner, I think seeing a move from a different angle is very confusing at first. It looks like a totally different move. But I really beleive it helps then to learn the move faster.

shine on
Cassandra

"I want brown bread... no, that is diesel oil..."
"So I was raised in Europe, where History comes from ..."
"NON !!! La Plume de mon oncle n est pas Bingibangibungi !!!"

adamricepoo-bah
1,015 posts

Posted:
I think multiple angles does help. Also consider that perhaps one view would make more sense to one person, another to another. But to me, looking at the plane of the circle usually seems to make the most sense.

In actual performance, I do try to constantly be switching around, which has the effect of confusing onlookers--if they're fellow firedancers--but is really done to keep things interesting. Civilian spectators usually aren't trying to decipher our moves anyhow.

Laugh while you can, monkey-boy

N8member
336 posts

Posted:
Yeah I'm gonna go with adamrice.

I think that you gotta look at it from all directions if you are going to learn.

Care of other people's approval and you become their prisoner.Live fully, Rave wholly.Fluid are the movements of my strings...

SmokyDavySILVER Member
Do my poi look too small in this?
394 posts

Posted:
I use an alien brain-sucking device to extract the already-mapped neural pathways from my teacher's head. That way, when they're asleep at night the information gets sent straight into my brain and all of a sudden I can do another move.

The backwards 5-beat weave is taking a while for the brain sucking device to translate though.. *grrr* lousy piece of alien rubbish!

SpiralOolering Man
729 posts

Posted:
I watch peoples feet

phunkyold hand
877 posts

Posted:
I find the easiest way to learn a move is to have the person standing side by side so your both facing the same way. That or over the shoulder type thing. If your standing face to face it might get confusing because left is right and right is left.

PeleBRONZE Member
the henna lady
6,193 posts

Posted:
"How do look at someone you are learning a move off?
From infront the side or behind or other/s?

Which angle is easier to learn from?"

When I am learning (our arts) I study how their body (in this case,hands) move. I try to watch it from angles that show the most motion to get the nuances, then I focus on the poi/staff/dance/whatever. I think it also depends on the move. I personally find it easier to understnad the butterfly looking at someone but the corkscrew from behind. There is no decisive "easier" angle because everyone learns so differently.

"Can we get confused changing the angle of view of the person we are trying to learn a move from? or does it help

Could we really be better off seeing all directions or could that be confusing the brain?"

Yes and no. It depends on the move. For example, I do many of my moves very tight wristed. They are locked together and the motions are kept small. Front and overhead angles would be useless because there appears to be little action, which can be quite confusing. Side angles shows that there is much action. It really depends greatly on the move. I do think that if you could choose the most advantageous angles to each move then it would be beneficial, but if angles are just arbitrarily shot for a perspective change (like in MTV videos) then it might get confusing.

"If someone is rotating themselves at the same time as spinning the toys it seems to appear a lot more dificult than if they were not rotating.

In an actual performance do you consider confusing your onlookers? to make yourself look better? does that add to the mystery fo these arts?"

It is more of a mystery, not confusing them. As a teacher our job is to break things down and simplify. In performance our job is to entrance a crowd. Standing still and spinning will not do that for long. We have to move, and rotating with the tools is part of that. It is not at all about confusing but more about entertaining them. We are not illusionists. We do not want the audience looking at our left hand while we palm something with our right. We want them to be taken in by all we do. I admit we do want the simple to seem more complex but only because if it seems *too* simple it is no longer entertaining and then I am no longer a professional.
My opinions anyway.

Pele
Higher, higher burning fire...making music like a choir
"Oooh look! A pub!" -exclaimed after recovering from a stupid fall
"And for the decadence of art, nothing beats a roaring fire." -TMK

.:* Moon Pixie *:.Carpal \'Tunnel
3,492 posts

Posted:
If you were to make a video to teach people maybe a camra attached to the twirlers nose would be a good angle. You would get to see what the twirler sees

*:...one day all the fairy fridges will be aligned and my pixie world will be complete...:*

PeleBRONZE Member
the henna lady
6,193 posts

Posted:
One of those cameras set up on a head band in the middle of the spinners forehead!

Pele
Higher, higher burning fire...making music like a choir
"Oooh look! A pub!" -exclaimed after recovering from a stupid fall
"And for the decadence of art, nothing beats a roaring fire." -TMK

SpiralOolering Man
729 posts

Posted:
How about cameras on each poi, or staff head, or whatever pointing inwards towards the hands of the spinner? you might not laern much but I bet the amount of vomit the video would produce would be phenomenal!

master sodiummember
536 posts

Posted:
I always need to look from different angles, but I always watch what the poi are doing, rather than the hands, b/c most people use straps, and I use handles so I usually do worse if I watch and try to mimic the hand motions. but definitely need to see from all angles to see exactly what is happening. although when I was first learning, I could only watch from one angle without getting confused. I think it just comes from learning what you can actually do with the poi that makes it less confusing over time.

in any performance I try to make it look as difficult as possible, I mean it just looks so much more impressive. but their is alot to be said for the simple stuff.

you can't have a war against terrorism because war IS terrorism.it's not about worshipping fire. its about making the fire want to worship you.

TwirlyVicnorthern monkey
235 posts

Posted:
well i only have one person to learn from who we're at the same standard now, but when i did learn i used to stand dead in front and hold the staff, she would then guide it, standing behind me (kinda like hugging me) which always worked

vic xx

ex-hop-aholic, now inconsistent lurker...