cutie poi girliemember
237 posts

Posted:
ne1 got any juggling tips they could share wit me as i am trying to learn but just cant get the hang of it!!!

thx! cpg xxx

[ 21 April 2002, 22:08: Message edited by: cutie poi girlie ]

Luv peace 'n' chicken grease Al X x

Neekomember
68 posts

Posted:
I have just started juggling over the past few months and love it. They way I learned was to take one ball and just toss it straight up in the air at about eye level and catch it with the same hand. Just do that reapeatedly in either hand to get a feel for it. Also, toss it back and forth between hands.
Then, you'll want to be able to juggle two in one hand before moving on to juggling three. Just remember that you are throwing the one in your hand just before the other lands. With this, and when you move on to three, there is only one ball in the air at a time.
Once you can juggle two in one hand with each hand, you are ready to attempt a cascade (the basic three-ball pattern). It is really hard to describe without being able to show it to you, but it is basically tossing the balls back and forth underneath eachother. So the result is your hands will end up going in circles the same direction as if you were doing a split-time reverse butterfly.
Also, there are tons of juggling websites with animations for three-ball tricks. I hope all of this is of some help. Just don't get discouraged. It is just like the weave with poi. Once you get it and find the flow, you'll wonder how you ever had trouble with it in the first place.

CantusSILVER Member
Tantamount to fatuity
15,966 posts

Posted:
If you want to keep 3 or more objects in the air at any given time, the easiest way is often to put them on a shelf.

Meh

TheBovrilMonkeySILVER Member
Liquid Cow
2,629 posts

Posted:
quote:
Originally posted by Neeko:
It is just like the weave with poi. Once you get it and find the flow, you'll wonder how you ever had trouble with it in the first place.
I can testify to this, it took me a week of almost constant picking up dropped balls when I learnt, then all of a sudden it suddenly clicked and I could juggle for ages without dropping anything.

I learnt by following the instructions on the packaging. In restrospect, that seems really stupid since I think they were written to be deliberatly confusing. Sorry I couldn't be more help.

But there's no sense crying over every mistake. You just keep on trying till you run out of cake.

KyrianDreamer
4,308 posts

Posted:
I'm trying to learn to juggle hear and there, and i don't think i can tell you anything that hasn't already been said. i can do about five throws and then my left hand gets retarded and catches teh ball w/o throwing the next one or one of the throws goes really wild. i have a lot of friends that juggle, you just gotta practice practice- and then it clicks... or so they tell me... mebbe it's a conspiracy !

Keep your dream alive
Dreamin is still how the strong survive

Shalom VeAhavah

New Hampshire has a point....

GlåssDIAMOND Member
The Ministry of Manipulation
2,523 posts

Posted:
hers some tips to save you a lot for time.
1) concentrate on the throws. if the throw is perfect it will land in you hand and you dont have to catch it. Be especially aware of the height. the height sets the timing of the pattern.

2) dont drop. Ths is not silly advice. but actually the bets advice i ever had. Learn to stop and catch all 3 balls. that way, when you juggle it doesn't always end with a drop.

3) (don't drop 2)concentrate on the shape and the timing of the pattern rather than going for lots of catches. and stop and catch all 3 (4,5,6,7 or more) if the pattern goes out of shape. This way you train your muscles to make clean throws, rather than trying to correct for mistakes.

4) practice starting with either hand. and stopping with either hand.

5) 15mins a day. or maybe twice a day for a week or 2. should sort you out. (it took me moths I was the slowest learner you ever seen)

Not here cos I'm working and feeling a bit smug cos I flashed 6 for the first time this week after 15 mins trying.

Glass

CantusSILVER Member
Tantamount to fatuity
15,966 posts

Posted:
I hope you didn't waste those moths Glass. They don't grow on trees you know.....

Meh

evenstarmember
36 posts

Posted:
If you've got a good teacher, it can take just a matter of minutes to learn juggling =)

The way I had it taught to me, is to imagine a squarish box in front of you, from about eye height down to your waist, where your hands should generally always be.

At the bottom, each hand is at each corner, and you have to imagine the two top corners at eye level. When you throw one ball up, try and throw to the opposite corner (ie. From the left hand, the ball should be thrown to the top right corner and vice versa).

This is the general juggling pattern (cascade), and once you've got that, you can move easily into almost any other 3-ball tricks.

Oh yeh, and one bit of valuable advice I got, (not necessarily refuting you, glass), if you're going to drop a ball, then drop it. it helps to stop the habit of throwing balls forwards away from your body, rather than in the 2-d box design, which is what you're really wanting to achieve

From the ashes a fire shall be woken,
A light from the shadows shall spring.
TOLKIEN

cutie poi girliemember
237 posts

Posted:
thanx every1!!

btw has ne1 been to the juggling/poi/staff shop in Camden? its really gud and the people ther are really friendly. the person there also gave me sum advice about juggling.

luv CPG xxx

GlåssDIAMOND Member
The Ministry of Manipulation
2,523 posts

Posted:
oi Cutie PG you monkey
what were you doing in camden without coming and saying hello to us lot.
hmph

cantus hers the U I dropped earlier

and heres the e that fell out of that sentance

cutie poi girliemember
237 posts

Posted:
sorry. were r u in Camden??? u r sooo lucky 2 live there!!!

CantusSILVER Member
Tantamount to fatuity
15,966 posts

Posted:

Meh

FirePoi-boymember
71 posts

Posted:
when I learnt to juggle I found that I threw the balls away from me for the first couple of days. If this happens wit you i would suggest standing real close to a wall. It forces you to kep the balls close and it won't let them go to far. I practised with tennis balls so when they hit the wall I let them bounch and just caught them again.

Sam

fireboyAn angry young man with a passon for metal
252 posts

Posted:
Okay it depends on what you are trying to juggle.
with balls you just throw the bastads and just keep learning with em.
Clubs are more tricky you have too learn alot of
thing like weight and spins height ect ect.
quote:

Axes are fun
quote:

so are knifes
quote:

and chainsaws too!
quote:

why am i doing all these qoutes? (no it s not because i am a git)

Fireboy
(yes i am a juggle nut)
yyyyyyyyyyyAAAAAAAAAAArrrrrrrrrr

Fireboy

<<SINister miNISister>>
remeber kids jesus slaves