TrillianBRONZE Member
Llamas are larger than frogs.
319 posts

Posted:
I'm playing cello in this music competition next week where you play for judges and they give you a score, and I've been trying to figure out how I really feel about it. It seems to me that music shouldn't be about competition. I really enjoy playing for myself more. the same goes for things like band challenges- should music really be about being better than everyone else, rather than just personal expression, art and beauty? Any thoughts? umm

"I know a good deal more than a boiled carrot."
"Fire!" "Where?" "Nowhere, I was just illustrating the misuse of free speech."

thorFlaming Lesbian
181 posts

Posted:
i am an advocate for art for the sake of improving the human experience.

none of my art - my photography, my drawing, not even my software (if you don't consider c0ding an artform, you've never written command line perl expressions) - is ever as good when it's done for someone else. art should come not only from, but for, you.

but, i also believe in never wasting beauty. if you can create beauty in any sense, share it with the world, and the whole of humanity is improved.

so don't play for them, don't play for the score, play for yourself and share the music with the judges.

Lights dancing off my skin as chains wrap round it.
Pain is in a little box and I'm so glad I found it.

DurbsBRONZE Member
Classically British
5,689 posts

Posted:
You won't be saying that if you win wink biggrin

But yes I agree - Music (same as poi) isn't and shouldn't be a competition

Burner of Toast
Spinner of poi
Slacker of enormous magnitude

DentrassiGOLD Member
ZORT!
3,045 posts

Posted:
its like my art and spinning - i do it for me - not for the judges. sometimes though it is good to set goals for yourself in your chosen activity, and that performing well in a competition is a goal that will make you improve dramatically.

i played trumpet for 5 years - i never did any grades or solo competitions.

i played to improvise and stuff around, to play with crusty old jazz pianists who loved to mentor an enthusiastic beginner..

i played 'the last post' and 'revallie' for war veterans from WW1, WWII, etc, crystal clear, without missing a note, in front of over a thousand people. the veterans, old guys with kilos worth of medals on there chest - most over 80 years old, standing proudly ramrod straight - walking stick forgotten, with tears streaming down their faces for what they have seen.

what ever you do, be selfish. do it for yourself and for what makes you happy. as long as you are happy - you are doing the right thing.

hugz.

hug hug hug

"Here kitty kitty...." - Schroedinger.