MikeGinnyGOLD Member
HOP Mad Doctor
13,925 posts

Posted:
My, my, my. If this isn't ironic, then I don't know what is... ubblol

Quote:

Palm Beach Appeals Court to Hear Arguments Today In Rush Limbaugh Medical Records Case
April 7, 2004

WEST PALM BEACH, FL - With the support of the American Civil Liberties Union, conservative radio commentator Rush Limbaugh will enter court today to challenge the state’s request to unseal his medical records as part of an ongoing criminal investigation involving alleged "doctor-shopping."

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE

WEST PALM BEACH, FL - With the support of the American Civil Liberties Union, conservative radio commentator Rush Limbaugh will enter court today to challenge the state’s request to unseal his medical records as part of an ongoing criminal investigation involving alleged "doctor-shopping."

"While this case involves the right of Rush Limbaugh to maintain the privacy of his medical records, everyone has a stake in the outcome," said Howard Simon, Executive Director of the ACLU of Florida. "The precedent set in this case will impact the security of medical records and the privacy of the doctor-patient relationship for every person in Florida."

In February, the ACLU of Florida filed a friend-of-the-court brief in partial support of Limbaugh, arguing that Palm Beach County officials violated Florida’s constitutional right of privacy and state law when they seized his medical records in November.

In its brief filed with the Fourth District Court of Appeal, which is hearing today’s case, the ACLU argued that law enforcement officers violated state law by using the more intrusive search warrant process to seize Limbaugh’s medical records, rather than by obtaining a subpoena through the proper procedures outlined in Florida Statute §395.3025. The statute requires law enforcement officers to notify the person whose medical records they seek to obtain and to grant that person a hearing to object before the records are seized. The law also gives a judge the responsibility to ensure that only the information that is necessary for the investigation and to control the use or dissemination of those records by law enforcement. The statute was passed by the Florida Legislature to specifically address heightened concerns about medical privacy.

The case is Limbaugh v. State of Florida (No. 4D03-4973). The ACLU’s friend-of-the-court brief is available online at https://www.aclufl.org/PDFs/RushBriefFinal2.pdf

https://www.aclu.org/news/NewsPrint.cfm?ID=15437&c=27

-Mike

Certified Mad Doctor and HoP High Priest of Nutella

A buckuht n a hooze! -Valura

spritieSILVER Member
Pooh-Bah
2,014 posts

Posted:
uhmm, forgive my ignorance, but what is doctor-shopping, and why is it considered wrong?

I'd guess that it's looking around for a doctor that is willing to work with you on diagnosing a problem and looking for solutions, but to me that should be perfectly acceptable, so I'm thinking my guess is off.

Bender_the_OffenderGOLD Member
still can't believe it's not butter
6,978 posts

Posted:
I have less compassion for conservative radio announcers.
Spritie, this dude was a strongly anti-drugs.
Quote:

There's nothing good about drug use. We know it. It destroys individuals. It destroys families. Drug use destroys societies. Drug use, some might say, is destroying this country. And we have laws against selling drugs, pushing drugs, using drugs, importing drugs. And the laws are good because we know what happens to people in societies and neighborhoods, which become consumed by them. And so if people are violating the law by doing drugs, they ought to be accused and they ought to be convicted and they ought to be sent up.

I do however separate the issues of holding conservative wind-bags to their hyprocrisy, and that of medical information confidentiality.
Even idiots deserve the right to privacy. We must place our faith in Karmic Balance to right Rush's ills, for who are we to exact such justice?
nice post mikey!!
peace

Laugh Often, Smile Much, Post lolcats Always

MikeGinnyGOLD Member
HOP Mad Doctor
13,925 posts

Posted:
Oh, but Bender, Lady Karma did come to the rescue. If I had a nickel for every time Rush bad-mouthed the ACLU, I'd be a very wealthy man. ubblol

-Mike

Certified Mad Doctor and HoP High Priest of Nutella

A buckuht n a hooze! -Valura

Bender_the_OffenderGOLD Member
still can't believe it's not butter
6,978 posts

Posted:
nikel? what's a nickel, mate? ubbangel I got not idea what metals have to do with the ACLU! biggrin

Laugh Often, Smile Much, Post lolcats Always

PippinBRONZE Member
21 posts

Posted:
Doctor-shopping is going to one doctor and perhaps describing fake symptoms and getting a perscription for pain-killers. Than going to other doctors and doing the same thing so that the individual ends up with many scripts for pain-killers.

smile
EDITED_BY: Pippin (1084272568)

SpitFireGOLD Member
Mand's Girl....and The Not So Shy One
2,723 posts

Posted:
Oh Bender Bender Bender. biggrin

Nickle... five cent piece of American currency.

Used to be made out of Nickle, but now is an alloy of some sort.

I do have a few tidbits of useless knowledge....here and there. Sometimes.

*wanders off mumbling*

Solitude sometimes speaks to you, and you should listen.

colemanSILVER Member
big and good and broken
7,330 posts

Posted:
and lo, another fish slips quietly into bender's net of well-meaning-humour-misinterpretation.

Non-Https Image Link

"i see you at 'dis cafe.
i come to 'dis cafe quite a lot myself.
they do porridge."
- tim westwood

NYCNYC
9,232 posts

Posted:
Reminds me of an Onion headline... something like "ACLU supprots KKKs rights to burn down ACLU"...

You guys do read The Onion right?

www.theonion.com

Its out in print on the streets of New York every Tuesday. I don't miss a copy. biggrin

Well, shall we go?
Yes, let's go.
[They do not move.]

Burzarukaenthusiast
233 posts

Posted:
Freedom of the press at its finest I think.