_Aime_SILVER Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
4,172 posts

Posted:
Finally! I spun with fire! I spent all morning yesterday making a staff, and am really proud of it. The wicks are denim and the staff is wood, and will prolly only last for another couple of burns, but we got a good 5 or 6 out of it last night.
I asked my dad if i could light up and he said alright if he could stand there with a fire extinguisher(sp?!). I got a damp towel out and was all ready to go.
It was well scary! The first burn didn't light up very well, but we got it in the end. The flames are well loud! just after i started spinning dad rushed into the workshop and came out sporting a hard hat rolleyes I was too scared to do much with it so just spun it in front, and managed to do a couple of behind the back passes once the flames got really ickle. Hannah was less scared than me, and managed to do more! I don't know wether it was the fumes from the parrafin or the adrenaline but I went really hyper, which resulted us juggling with beanie babies in my room ubblol

RosscoOfficial HoP hobbity potato monster!
434 posts

Posted:
Well done Aimee! hug beerchug
you can only keep getting better with it now.
If your a bit scared of fire you could try lighting up during the day, i found this helped because its not dark so the flames arent quite as bright and intimidating as usual and they dont appear to be wooshing past your face so fast.

Keep up the good work! biggrin

O.B.E.S.E. Official Potato man.

Remeber kids.... Its all fun and games until someone loses a bol**ck! biggrin

*+*Jo-anne*+*member
24 posts

Posted:
yay! well done, dunno wot iot means but sounds good :P
congrat's..mawha

hav u got msn i need to tlk to u!!
Luv ya JO x

OzE_QTBRONZE Member
64 posts

Posted:
Congratulations! smile

It's the best feeling when you're finally brave enough to light up. It will get less scary the more you practice.

Have fun!!
weavesmiley OzE_QT

FabergGOLD Member
veteran
1,459 posts

Posted:
Congratulations!!! beerchug

Your first burn is sooooo exciting. After mine, I didn't wash my clothes for about a week, coz I was so into the smell of parrafin all over them ubbloco

My mind not only wanders, it sometimes leaves completely smile

vanizeSILVER Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,899 posts

Posted:
oh yeah... I love the sound of the flames! cool

BTW, never be too quick with a fire extingusher - improperly used too close to skin and they can give a nasty case of frostbite. a damp towel is always best unless things are getting out of hand.

And mucho congats and welcome to the club! Just remember that when you play with fire, you will occasionally get burned. Be smart and safe and it will be rare and minor event whenever you do get burned.

And congradulations again! I can feel part of the excitement of my first time with fire everytime I read someone talk about theirs. ubbrollsmile

Burn on. beerchug

-v-

Wiederstand ist Zwecklos!

DuncGOLD Member
playing the days away
7,263 posts

Posted:
Nice one Aimz!! Props for your first time and like they say, you'll soon stop being scared of it. Maybe your Dad will stop wearing his hard hat too! ubblol

Let's relight this forum ubblove

_Aime_SILVER Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
4,172 posts

Posted:
Quote:

BTW, never be too quick with a fire extingusher - improperly used too close to skin and they can give a nasty case of frostbite.

yeh i know! i was saying 'dad! put that thing away! im gonna thump you if you squirt me with that!'

going down B&Q later to look how expansive chains and 'rods' are, so i can make my own poi. need to find an inexpensive wick thats a lil more durable than denim tho....

thanks for all the congrats hug

SpitFireGOLD Member
Mand's Girl....and The Not So Shy One
2,723 posts

Posted:
Congrats on your first burn!! It's a rush, isn't it?

Solitude sometimes speaks to you, and you should listen.

Kapura MataaroHoP resident longboarder.
195 posts

Posted:
hey, congrats...it is an awesome feeling isn't it? biggrin
you will never want to be without fire now...just wait....
its growing....
the converted of us can see it...
well...smell it anyway... ubbloco rolleyes biggrin

"surely a longboarding fire spinner should have no trouble getting some action!"- NYC....

PyrolificBRONZE Member
Returning to a unique state of Equilibrium
3,289 posts

Posted:
Thats cool, nice one. I can remember the first time I lit up - its wicked. wink

Just remember to stay safe!

Josh

--
Help! My personality got stuck in this signature machine and I cant get it out!

pounceSILVER Member
All the neurotic makings of America's lesser known sweetheart
9,831 posts

Posted:
congrats!!!!

I was always scared with my mother's obsession with the good scissors. It made me wonder if there were evil scissors lurking in the house somewhere.

Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons for you are crunchy and good with ketchup.

**giggles**

Mistress AuroraHot Schtuff
1,032 posts

Posted:
Congratulations!!! beerchug

It was scary my first time to burn. Still kinda scared of the flames, but the more I use fire the more comfortable I am spinning with it. ubbtickled

RISK: Do not follow the common path; Go where there is no path and leave a trail.

GnorBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
5,814 posts

Posted:
Well done Aimee.
The wet towel of safety.....yay for the wet towel of safety.

Kevlar from HOP is cheapest I have seen. I made towelling wicks with cages and kevlar is way better.

Is it the Truth?
Is it Fair to all concerned?
Will it build Goodwill and Better Friendships?
Will it be Beneficial to all concerned?

Im in a lonely battle with the world with a fish to match the chip on my shoulder. Gnu in Binnu in a cnu

GidgBRONZE Member
Super Gidg!!!!
8,506 posts

Posted:
That is fantastic! Congrats and welcome to the "addicted to fire and when do I get to do it again" club.

hug hug wave wave

Growing old is mandatory; growing up is NOT.
Proud member of the HoP DPS.
Sanity is a highly overrated state of mind.
I'm normal ... it's everyone else that's crazy.

Gidg

_Aime_SILVER Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
4,172 posts

Posted:
whoot! i did it agin! but this time with poi biggrin Went down B&Q today to find that 'brake cabel' as my dad calls it, or wire type stuff was 58p a meter. i nearly fell down in shock! so i got 2 meters of that, and a meter of this thick rope stuff that soked up teh parrifin pretty good.
I took all the stuff home and my dad got right into it! went down into the workshop and he was like 'oh! we can use this....AND this...oh and this would be good!' so i got a set of pretty good fire poi now. oh and had some family around as well and taught my cousin the 3beatweave in like half an hour. it took me a like week mad
anyhoo WHOOT! FIRE! hehe

UCOFSILVER Member
15,417 posts

Posted:
WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!
oh hang on...you said brake cable..

I personally belive its poo.

Ballchain (medium) is my personal preference. WIth brake cable there just isnt enough give in it, if you understand what i mean.

but all the same

WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

TrillianBRONZE Member
Llamas are larger than frogs.
319 posts

Posted:
Mazel Tov! I'm still a ways behind you- my parents probably won't let me light up at all, much less help me make fire poi! But *maybe* sometime this summer??????
beerchug

"I know a good deal more than a boiled carrot."
"Fire!" "Where?" "Nowhere, I was just illustrating the misuse of free speech."

.:* Moon Pixie *:.Carpal \'Tunnel
3,492 posts

Posted:
YAY!!! biggrin How exiting! The first burn is always an amazing feeling...

It was great that you had your dad looking out for you with safety gear too smile

Perhaps consider investing in some Kevlar Wicking for your staff ... it is well worth the cost and will last much much longer than dennem so you will not have to replace it so often... (and is also a lot safer as it dosen't flake off or spark while twirling)

Good on you! smile Happy twirling!*:.

*:...one day all the fairy fridges will be aligned and my pixie world will be complete...:*

KajiQuantum Theorist
564 posts

Posted:
*POP* <----- I think we all know what that was.

In the 60's people took acid to make the world weird, now the world is weird and they take prozac to make it normal again.