Forums > Social Chat > so i'm retiring a performance

Login/Join to Participate

pounceSILVER Member
All the neurotic makings of America's lesser known sweetheart
9,831 posts

Posted:
i've been fire breathing for quite a few years now, and i've been seriously considering retiring it. i had given myself a long break from it recently. it's just too dangerous at times, and not very much worth it for me. so i figured i would probably end my fire breathing days. i gave it one last go this weekend for a party. myself and another fire dancer gave a show, and i thought i'd end with a little fire breathing, my one last hurrah. and of course, as fate would have it, it was the first (and last) time i had a mishap. i got blowback and ended up burning my face. thank goddess i had every safety check in place or else it would have been way worse. i have a few very slight burns on one cheek that have pretty much faded, one slightly worse burn on the other cheek that just kinda looks like a zit gone bad, but i got second degree burns underneath my chin.

when people would ask me about fire breathing and would i teach them, i always first went into the lecture of how dangerous it is, and it's not a matter of if you'll get hurt, it's when. i was lucky....i never got hurt until now. (ironic isn't it). i had huge amounts of respect for fire and safety, and it's only gotten bigger now.

so with that, i am retiring my fire breathing torches. i am now strictly a poi and club spinner.

I was always scared with my mother's obsession with the good scissors. It made me wonder if there were evil scissors lurking in the house somewhere.

Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons for you are crunchy and good with ketchup.

**giggles**

mechBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
6,207 posts

Posted:
lady p, sad to hear of ur miss hap, but more happy that your ok, and its not bad!

hug im glad you have retired this trick, its not a good one and i have almost retired my fire breath....

hug hug hug hug hug hug hug and many more of these to heal ur lil booboo!

laterdays sweetie!

Step (el-nombrie)

ValuraSILVER Member
Mumma Hen
6,391 posts

Posted:
oh pouncey.. ubbcrying
Im so sorry that has happened to you angel!
Heal quickly matey and Im really proud you have hung the fire breathing torch up... hug

TAJ "boat mummy." VALURA "yes sweetie you went on a boat, was daddy there with you?" TAJ "no, but monkey on boat" VALURA "well then sweetie, Daddy WAS there with you"

DentrassiGOLD Member
ZORT!
3,045 posts

Posted:
yay for pounce!

ill be retiring at the end of this year when i finish uni. even now i try to avoid breathing because i know how damaging it is to my health.

"Here kitty kitty...." - Schroedinger.

OrangeBoboSILVER Member
veteran
1,389 posts

Posted:
*careful glomps* Don't want to be hurting you, so you heal asap!!!

Also, it's good that you're retiring from it, it is rather unhealthy as we all know!! And you others quitting the breath too!

hughughug to you all!!

~ Bobo

wie weit, wie weit noch?
fragst mich, wo wir gewesen sind...
du fehlst hier

MikeGinnyGOLD Member
HOP Mad Doctor
13,925 posts

Posted:
*kisses pounces wounds*

Don't retire your torches, honey! You can still eat and trace! kiss

-Mike

Certified Mad Doctor and HoP High Priest of Nutella

A buckuht n a hooze! -Valura

Kapura MataaroHoP resident longboarder.
195 posts

Posted:
hey pounce, burns hurt frown (no brainer confused ) and i am glad to hear that you are retiring possibly the MOST dangerous fire form... hug i hope you heal quickly....its always sad to hear someone hurts themselves...

beerchug drinks for a fast recovery.. hug and hugs are supposed to help too...

"surely a longboarding fire spinner should have no trouble getting some action!"- NYC....

vanizeSILVER Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,899 posts

Posted:
sorry to hear about your mishap, but glad it wasn't too serious. Perhaps it was a sign telling you that your decision to stop fire breathing is the right one.

hug kiss

-v-

Wiederstand ist Zwecklos!

Pink...?BRONZE Member
Mistress of Pink...Multicoloured
6,140 posts

Posted:
hug Glad your injury wasn't too serious. I know it could have been a lot worse.

I agree with Vanize. I think it was a sign to say giving up is the right choice.

hug kiss
ubblove

Never pick up a duck in a dungeon...

pounceSILVER Member
9,831 posts

Posted:
thanks everyone for the well-wishes. i'm glad the burns aren't too bad. just kinda interesting to try and explain them to my clients. tongue

i most definately believe it was a sign that my decision was the right one. i have no doubts at all that i'm am definately retired on that aspect. i'll still do some fire eating and club spinning of course, just no breathing anymore.

I was always scared with my mother's obsession with the good scissors. It made me wonder if there were evil scissors lurking in the house somewhere.

Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons for you are crunchy and good with ketchup.

**giggles**

GnorBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
5,814 posts

Posted:
hug hug hug hug hug hug

Take care Scarletta....glad that you are not too badly hurt.
kiss kiss

Is it the Truth?
Is it Fair to all concerned?
Will it build Goodwill and Better Friendships?
Will it be Beneficial to all concerned?

Im in a lonely battle with the world with a fish to match the chip on my shoulder. Gnu in Binnu in a cnu

Mistress AuroraHot Schtuff
1,032 posts

Posted:
Sorry to hear of your burns hug

I believe your choice is for the better as well. Keep up your spinning for us though weavesmiley

hug hug hug hug hug hug hug

RISK: Do not follow the common path; Go where there is no path and leave a trail.

AnonymousPLATINUM Member

Posted:
hug hug hug hug hug hug

PukSILVER Member
Sweet talented nutter
2,615 posts

Posted:
Oh pouncey thats good accutally thats all that happened (could of been a lot worse) .

Heal Quickly now . hug

Besides your probally to good a twirler to need to breath biggrin

that shrewd and knavish sprite

Called Robin Good Fellow ; are you not he that is frighten of the maidens of the villagery - fairy

I am the merry wander of the night -puk

CharlesBRONZE Member
Corporate Circus Arts Entertainer
3,989 posts

Posted:
DITTO on what everyone else said.

I'm proud of you, and anyone else who realises that fun today can be hospital tomorrow...

I gave up firebreathing as soon as my wonderful wife accepted my marriage proposal...

HoP Posting Guidelines
* Is it the Truth?
* Is it Fair to all concerned?
* Will it build Goodwill and Better Friendships?
* Will it be Beneficial to all concerned?

GidgBRONZE Member
Super Gidg!!!!
8,506 posts

Posted:
Good for you Charles!

hug hug wave wave

Growing old is mandatory; growing up is NOT.
Proud member of the HoP DPS.
Sanity is a highly overrated state of mind.
I'm normal ... it's everyone else that's crazy.

Gidg

AdeSILVER Member
Are we there yet?
1,897 posts

Posted:
hug hope you're feeling a bit better today

pounceSILVER Member
9,831 posts

Posted:
smile

thanks everyone. i've had quite a few conversations with friends about this, and they all agree i made the right decision. i'm glad it wasn't much worse. heck, the embarrassment of trying to explain the burns on my face is enough to want to quit anyhow ubblol

but seriously, i got quite a scare, but not as scary as i thought it would be. i think that's because i knew there were risks, and i was prepared for them. so i was able to keep my head and not panic when it happened. so in a way, it took away some of the fear, but in a positive way.

on another note, i definately have more time to devote to spinning. and myself and a group of ravers out here are starting a rave mentoring program to make sure new ravers learn to do it right and safely and respectfully. as part of it, we're going to start doing workshops for them to learn different rave-related skills such as DJing, promoting, dancing, and poi smile so i'm going to start teaching smile i know it'll definately help me hone my skills and allow me to spend more time and focus on my spinning smile

**giggles**

ElannaSILVER Member
Where ignorance is bliss, 'tis folly to be wise.
2,293 posts

Posted:
Yay pounce! Sounds like you're going to have a lot of fun with those workshops smile

Hope the burns heal fast!

hug

Are you suggesting coconuts migrate?

Pies Jesu Domine *whack*
Dona eis requiem *whack*

Come join us and chat - we're bored! irc.newnet.net #homeofpoi

Dragon7GOLD Member
addict
625 posts

Posted:
I gave up breathing long ago...due to an accident...but for some crazy reason, i just had to see if i had the devil to do it again, it took a long time to pratice and work up the courage to do it again, like 2 - 3 yrs finally i did it and it was awsome, i started to get back into it over time till i was really enjoying it.

After awhile, i realised i was having trouble breathing, i think somewhere down the line i did damage to my lungs, maybe inhaling fumes, im not sure but thats not the point.

Now i have to give up all over again, im finding it really hard because i love breathing fire sooo much, the effect it has on people nearly everything about it. *im finding it hard just to talk about this*
frown Its like a drug, i goto a burn and i have to restrain myself, and often leave like iv missed something...i know its worth it in the long run but right now i just wanna run outside and blow a huge excl

I think there needs to be a "fire breathers anonymous". Its going to take the same length of time it took to start again, to give it up. Thank god for burn off!!!

Anyway good for you pounce, much respect and may you live long and be happy beerchug

NYCNYC
9,232 posts

Posted:
Yeah... I've breathed a few times but will never do it again. I DIDN'T have an accident... and that's why I'm giving it up. I don't want to wait until I get hurt to stop.

hug and feel better.

I do think fire eating and trailing is kinda sexy though... Maybe just when Pele does it. wink

Well, shall we go?
Yes, let's go.
[They do not move.]

MikeGinnyGOLD Member
HOP Mad Doctor
13,925 posts

Posted:
Quote:

I do think fire eating and trailing is kinda sexy though... Maybe just when Pele does it.

HEEEYYY!! What about when I do it? wink

-Mike

MandSILVER Member
Keeper of the Spitfire
2,317 posts

Posted:
hug hug hug hug hug
kisskisskisskisskisskisskiss
For miss pounce.
Sorry to hear 'bout the burns sweetie. I'm glad you're ok though. wink

Lets steal a spaceship and head for the sun, and shoot the stars with a lemonade ray gun.

NYCNYC
9,232 posts

Posted:
Quote:

Quote:

I do think fire eating and trailing is kinda sexy though... Maybe just when Pele does it.

HEEEYYY!! What about when I do it? wink

Oh sorry dude, I had no idea you actually played with fire. I figured you just used HoP to complain about the weather. ubbangel

And c'mon... have you SEEN Pele eat fire? You're cute Mike, but not Pele cute. wink

Well, shall we go?
Yes, let's go.
[They do not move.]

FireSpiritSILVER Member
Classic 90's Fire Dancer... Poi, Staff, Doubles, and Breathing
743 posts

Posted:
I remember Pele Eating and Breathing fire! It was soooo Hot I saw Nomad comming out of her tent the next mornning! ubblol ubblove ubblol

Pele taught me how to breath, However I only do it now at very special occations, and after hrs of practice and prep.
The last time i did it however I had a sore in my mouth, the next day I thought my Lip was going to fall off it hurt so much... My fire breathing days are few and far between now.

It is a bit Ironic that you had a blowback on your last blow! I hope you are alright pounce! I am still thinking of comming down on Friday or Saturday if thats OK with you. I'll bring some Aloe, ok. ubbangel

~Fire Spirit

FIRE IS ALIVE!
IT LIVES AND BREATHS!
IT CONSUMES, AND DISTROYS!
BUT WE CONTROL IT,
AND DANCE WITH FIRE!!

MikeGinnyGOLD Member
HOP Mad Doctor
13,925 posts

Posted:
Quote:

And c'mon... have you SEEN Pele eat fire? You're cute Mike, but not Pele cute.

beerchug

I just need to teach one of the many hot boys on this site to trace and eat so that they can entertain me.

Friggin' straight guys seem to have all the fun. rolleyes

-Mike

DentrassiGOLD Member
ZORT!
3,045 posts

Posted:
in that case youll have to visit australia sometime.... wink

"Here kitty kitty...." - Schroedinger.