Forums > Social Discussion > Celtic Christianity and Poi

Login/Join to Participate

StoneGOLD Member
Stream Entrant
2,829 posts

Posted:
Any Celtic Christianity Poiers out there?
Because I was thinking that perhaps Celtic Christianity was a missing link on the road to becoming a Jedi smile

I was brought up as a Roman Catholic, in the Irish style, but find much about Christianity out of touch with the real or natural world. So, deep down, I wonder how much of the older Celtic religion is still in some of us, though perhaps repressed through Christianity. Not the Christianity was necessarily a bad thing; otherwise the transition would have been more difficult. I think?

So where does the poi come in? Perhaps it's the fire, but for me it's more about spirals, flowery knots, the fountain and the that much talked about "trinity" beerchug

If we as members of the human race practice meditation, we can transcend our fear, despair, and forgetfulness. Meditation is not an escape. It is the courage to look at reality with mindfulness and concentration. Thich Nhat Hanh

DeepSoulSheepGOLD Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
2,617 posts

Posted:
Quote:

I was brought up as a Roman Catholic, in the Irish style, but find much about Christianity out of touch with the real or natural world.

Yup I can relate to that.

I've started learning Celtic design like animal patterns and all to put a celtic spin on staff's and drums that I'm making.

I'm interested in this cult of yours and would like to subscribe to your news letter. cool

I live in a world of infinite possibilities.

FabergGOLD Member
veteran
1,459 posts

Posted:
You should head out to the Hill of Tara on the next full moon and meet the druids who congregate there, they were probably there last nite too.

I'm on a real 'spinning to celtic/trad music' buzz at the moment. Adds a wonderful mystical element to it all peace

My mind not only wanders, it sometimes leaves completely smile

GidgBRONZE Member
Super Gidg!!!!
8,506 posts

Posted:
I've been spinning to traditional celtic music for about a year now. I think it's great.

hug hug wave wave

Growing old is mandatory; growing up is NOT.
Proud member of the HoP DPS.
Sanity is a highly overrated state of mind.
I'm normal ... it's everyone else that's crazy.

Gidg

Kapura MataaroHoP resident longboarder.
195 posts

Posted:
i grew up in a irish/italian family- which practiced (sometimes) catholicism...but after doing martial arts, taking fire spinning up and getting to know a bit more about my family history, now i wanna know more about celtic symbols and the philosophies etc...if anyone could point me in a direction... beerchug ubbloco

"surely a longboarding fire spinner should have no trouble getting some action!"- NYC....

StoneGOLD Member
Stream Entrant
2,829 posts

Posted:
Well, perhaps with all those great ideas we should plot to take over the world.

Staff decorations with a Celtic spin are a cool idea; I'd love to put some snakes on my clubs. I was looking for knot tattoo designs, when I found this Celtic Art Site. It has lots of information on Celtic symbols and philosophies. I hadn't thought of spinning to Celtic music, but I will try it, next time I get a chance cool

If we as members of the human race practice meditation, we can transcend our fear, despair, and forgetfulness. Meditation is not an escape. It is the courage to look at reality with mindfulness and concentration. Thich Nhat Hanh

Pink...?BRONZE Member
Mistress of Pink...Multicoloured
6,140 posts

Posted:
I think i once read somewhere that Celtic Christianty was more in touch with the "first" form of christianity...because the catholic church didn't have as much influence over them? ubbangel

Never pick up a duck in a dungeon...

DeepSoulSheepGOLD Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
2,617 posts

Posted:
[Old link] is really good if you're into it...

I'm always up for a bit of world over taking. Best send to plan via PM though just to be safe.... cool

I live in a world of infinite possibilities.

StoneGOLD Member
Stream Entrant
2,829 posts

Posted:
Thanks DSS, that's a great book. I also enjoyed reading your post on drawing. I didn't think people could learn to draw either, though I have always been a bit fascinated with calligraphy. Apparently, Aidan Meehan has a whole series of step-by-step guides to Celtic art. I'll check them out the next time I get near a good book shop.

I found that site on alien reptiles the other day when I was looking for dragon pictures, and though I like snakes, serpents and dragons, I not sure about alien reptiles. For something really bizarre, check out this article/transcript on Legerdemain and Witchcraft.(Reginald Scot, 1584). Its at the Magic and Escape Artistry of Alexander's site. There is also an article on the history of club juggling in the archives.

Can't plot to take over the world this week, as I off to Confest for a few days of indulgent twirling and stuff. Catch yous all later wave

KiwiBexmember
69 posts

Posted:
I actually blundered into a university course on Celtic Christianity (it was originally titled Celtic Spirituality, but was changed 2 weeks into the 3 month course, and become heavily christian. Quite intense for an agnostic like me!)
Anyway, it was interesting because yeah, the pre-christian times were all about the elements and nature...before they 'discovered' Jesus, Celts worshipped in Oak Groves and (among other things) by throwing certain objects into pools of water. The also lived practically outdoors if you compare it to modern day and depended drastically on their ability to grow food so obviously the weather..Fire played a big role in their lives too, for cooking and heating. Then theres the good old wicker man....
Compared to now where Christian people worship in at the least a sturdy building (or possibly an enormous cathedral with stained glass etc) which they drive to and pick up some canned food on the way home...

Oh man, I really am having a rant day. It appears my two cents are pretty opinionated today. Sorry about that. Hope I am not offending anyone kiss

I said perhaps, and thats FINAL.

I love my length!

StoneGOLD Member
Stream Entrant
2,829 posts

Posted:
KiwiBex, rant all day if you want, but I lost you after the big cathedrals with stained glass windows. I'm interested in Celtic Christianity as a conduit back to Celtic beliefs, and why the Druids let the Christians absorb them. There must have been a good reason. Cheers.

AdeSILVER Member
Are we there yet?
1,897 posts

Posted:
Stone mate, in the dark ages (circa 300ad) when some of the new christians arrived on the english shores, the Pagan kings of the time were fairly welcoming towards the christians. They gave them permission to chat to locals and share their beleifs with them - I think that the Kings did not think about conversion and subversion of beleifs they already held. The christians were pretty clever introducing christianity - to the point when some of the oral stories about the gods were written down, by christian monks, the gods were given human qualities - ie the chrisitans acknowledged that the people had some great heros, but they were not gods - all the easier to introduce a new god that way.... build new temples on existing Pagan sites... etc... eegads, don't get me started - I could go on an on about this topc - I did a lot of study into this sort of thing for my undergrad a few years ago... biggrin

StoneGOLD Member
Stream Entrant
2,829 posts

Posted:
Thanks Ade, your explanation was helpful in putting the bits together. I've also filled in a few gaps on my knowledge of the role and power of Holy Roman Church in history. I suppose what I find surprising, is that even after all this time people are still drawn back to the basics; the old ways.