Page:
MikeGinnyGOLD Member
HOP Mad Doctor
13,925 posts

Posted:
So I have been asked to do a fire eating and tracing act at a gay club in a few months. I've also been asked if I wouldn't mind wearing body paint for the act.

I told them that I'd be happy to wear body paint as long as it's safe.

Does anyone know about fire compatability with body paint? Any particular brands I should either prefer or avoid?

-Mike

Certified Mad Doctor and HoP High Priest of Nutella

A buckuht n a hooze! -Valura

MikeIconGOLD Member
Pooh-Bah
2,109 posts

Posted:
Well, Ive never used body paint so Im probably not going to be much help here...

But, I really doubt that body paint would be flammable or even bad for you/toxic. Dont think it would be legal to make something flammable that is meant to coat your body. People do some weird things too which is why I doubt it would be toxic if injested or what have you.

Let's turn those old bridges we crossed into ashes.
We'll blaze a new trail,
and torch the rough patches.

-Me

Big AndyBRONZE Member
186 posts

Posted:
Quote:

Originaly posted by ICoN
And PS - Im not against gays but I dont think it was really necessary to include that in the post. It just puts bad images in my head heh.

(tries to wash the picture of Lightning naked in a pool of body paint from his brain)

PS- I don't think it was really necessary to include that in your post, makes you sound kind of homophobic and immature. Just my opinion, not saying you are, not trying to be an arse or anything, but as I have many gay friends and frequent a local gay club regularly, that line was kind of offensive at first.

I think it's relevant that it's at a gay club because it's somewhat of an explanation for why management would request such a thing.

"We can't stop here! This is bat country!"

"Welcome to the U-S-A,
We'll treat you right, unless you're black or gay, or Cherokeeeeee!!"

-Brian Griffin from "Family Guy" (the dog)

MikeGinnyGOLD Member
HOP Mad Doctor
13,925 posts

Posted:
I'm keeping my pants on. Don't worry. I'm not the next male Jennifer Steele!

So, body paints OK?

-Mike

spritieSILVER Member
Pooh-Bah
2,014 posts

Posted:
I've never had a problem spinning with body paint on. I've used either basic acrylic paint, airbrush paint, or mehron which is supposed to be specifically for body paint. I will say that some tends to flake off a little more than others. I think the acrylic paint is usually watered down just a tad when applied as well.

I have personally never had a problem with the paint flaking off while performing, but I know some of the guys I perform with have. You might want to do a test run on a section of skin just to see how you might react.

I've never had the paint "ignite" or react poorly to accidentally get hit with lit poi either.

Have fun with the show. Getting body painted for one always seems to make them more fun for me, and the audience loves them as well.

Spinning at gay clubs is a hoot too...I did once (with Vanize & another guy) and the crowd loved that I was the girl spinning (altough the scantily clad guys won their hearts and definitely stole the show).

Enjoy!!

DentrassiGOLD Member
ZORT!
3,045 posts

Posted:
if you need something to help you with the mental image, go to jennifer steele's website biggrin

on the actual topic, ive been thinking about body paint for performance as well. not sure what types there are. you can probably check the resistance to flame using your arm, with a fireblanket close at hand. paint your arm and see if theres any difference to the feeling of heat.

cheers.
EDITED_BY: Dentrassi (1081222814)

"Here kitty kitty...." - Schroedinger.

Big AndyBRONZE Member
186 posts

Posted:
Quote:

Originally posted by L i g h t n i n g

I'm keeping my pants on. Don't worry. I'm not the next male Jennifer Steele!

So, body paints OK?

No Flaming Phallus!? Awww... oh well, I'm sure you can still put on a good show spank ubblol

On the paint subject, I'm thinking as long as you stick with an acrylic or water based kind of paint, you shouldn't have any trouble. If in doubt, check the ingredients/toxicity warnings, and test some of paint. spread some out on a piece of metal or concrete or something, and put a lighter to it. If it chars and turns black only after getting really hot under flame for a while, you should be safe. If you can't make it catch fire or heat to a melting point, I wouldn't worry about it.

I thought about body paint once, then I figured my man boobs didn't need to be blacklight reactive ubblol

And Dentrassi hug hug Don't let it bug you, I'm not tryin to stir up anything here, it just rubbed me the wrong way, as it did you.

peace

"We can't stop here! This is bat country!"

"Welcome to the U-S-A,
We'll treat you right, unless you're black or gay, or Cherokeeeeee!!"

-Brian Griffin from "Family Guy" (the dog)

DentrassiGOLD Member
ZORT!
3,045 posts

Posted:
aye andy. ive said all i need to.

anyway, i thought id would be cool to get the conan the barbarian style combat stripes across the body and face. ill try and find a photo.....

well. its not the best pic, but somthing like this

Non-Https Image Link

or [image]https://www.filmweb.no/ill/007605.jpeg[/image]
EDITED_BY: Dentrassi (1081136233)

MikeIconGOLD Member
Pooh-Bah
2,109 posts

Posted:
Sorry for the comment. Prolly was a bit unnecessary. Was meant more as a joke. Deleted.

Let's turn those old bridges we crossed into ashes.
We'll blaze a new trail,
and torch the rough patches.

-Me

MikeGinnyGOLD Member
HOP Mad Doctor
13,925 posts

Posted:
'Sok, ICoN.

I wonder if I'll smear it all over myself by passing a torch over it.

-Mike

DentrassiGOLD Member
ZORT!
3,045 posts

Posted:
what design were you thinking of painting?

depending on how hard the paint dried, it probably would smear a bit. ubbideathinking about it, im not sure getting it on your torch would be too good. too much on your torch would probably hinder the effectiveness of the wick.

becBRONZE Member
521 posts

Posted:
..another little thought.. ubbidea
quite a few of the fancy types of body paint are based on clay which would be a great protection for your skin for tracing etc. so you may find it actually is safer...? will you get a chance to look at the paint before you decide?

We sometimes use body paint as part of our costuming and have never had a problem... but obviously different paints will have different ingredients, so our experinece may not be universal...

have heaps of fun .:*:. ubbrollsmile

MikeGinnyGOLD Member
HOP Mad Doctor
13,925 posts

Posted:
Ok, so anyone got suggestions for designs?

Remember, the sexier I look, the better my tips. cool

-Mike

thorFlaming Lesbian
181 posts

Posted:
if /i/ were doing it, i wouldn't use body paint.

i'm of the mind that God made something beautiful, why cover it up? ;]

(oh, and dye your hair, gotta have orange hair)

Lights dancing off my skin as chains wrap round it.
Pain is in a little box and I'm so glad I found it.

spritieSILVER Member
Pooh-Bah
2,014 posts

Posted:
Here are some pics of some of the Houston gang painted...

https://www.visker.org/gallery/YPO2001
and
https://www.visker.org/gallery/Riches2001

The second is from when we performed at a gay club here in town. The other dancers there that night also got painted by the same guy who did us and everyone in the club seemed to be all goo-goo ga-ga over the guys.

DentrassiGOLD Member
ZORT!
3,045 posts

Posted:
very interesting. especially the second pic. that looks like a very maori design.

spritieSILVER Member
Pooh-Bah
2,014 posts

Posted:
One of our non-fire friends in town paints as one of his hobbies. We got him started in body painting, and now request his services whenever we need to look extra special for a show. He has recently moved over to using an air brush to body paint, but everything he does is free form and off the top of his head. He is really awesome and we are very lucky to have such cool friends to do simple things for us.

So, Lightning, what did you decide on?

MikeGinnyGOLD Member
HOP Mad Doctor
13,925 posts

Posted:
Quote:

The second is from when we performed at a gay club here in town. The other dancers there that night also got painted by the same guy who did us and everyone in the club seemed to be all goo-goo ga-ga over the guys.

Well Van would be still be hot if you dipped him in camel spit and put a potted plant on his head.

In fact, if you're into certain things, that might be very hot! eek

-Mike

thorFlaming Lesbian
181 posts

Posted:
Lightning, sometimes I worry about you.... rolleyes

Lights dancing off my skin as chains wrap round it.
Pain is in a little box and I'm so glad I found it.

spritieSILVER Member
Pooh-Bah
2,014 posts

Posted:
I completely agree, although I think I'd prefer him without the camel spit as that doesn't sound very appealing to try and lick off wink

MikeGinnyGOLD Member
HOP Mad Doctor
13,925 posts

Posted:
Quote:

Lightning, sometimes I worry about you.... rolleyes

Join the club. ubblol

But I'm not into camel spittle.

Really. ubbangel

-Mike

DentrassiGOLD Member
ZORT!
3,045 posts

Posted:
umm

MikeGinnyGOLD Member
HOP Mad Doctor
13,925 posts

Posted:
Now Dentrassi is worried...

cool

-Mike

DentrassiGOLD Member
ZORT!
3,045 posts

Posted:
perhaps more worried for your patients.... camel spittle probably would be the cleanest substance in the world. although considering some of the wacky health treatment going around at the moment, camel spittle may end up being the next wonder drug!
biggrin

vanizeSILVER Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,899 posts

Posted:
Quote:

Quote:

Well Van would be still be hot if you dipped him in camel spit and put a potted plant on his head.

In fact, if you're into certain things, that might be very hot! eek

eek

redface

-v-

Wiederstand ist Zwecklos!

mcpPLATINUM Member
Flying Water Muppet
5,276 posts

Posted:
I heard today that some of the metallic body paints used at a previous beltane reacted badly with parrafin. Giving the person wearing it a nasty rash. You should be alright, but some testing might be in order?

"the now legendary" - Kaskade
"the still legendary" - Kaskade

I spunked in my friend's aquarium and the fish ate it. I love all fish. Especially the pink ones. They are my bitches. - Anon.

vanizeSILVER Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,899 posts

Posted:
it could have been just the metallic body paint though - I know some people react to some of them.

if you use the mehron (sp?) stuff you should be ok regardless though. it is more expensive, but worth it in coverage ability and being safe for all skin types. still isn't perfect, but better than most body paint solutions.

-v-

Wiederstand ist Zwecklos!

BlackassBlueass
183 posts

Posted:
I do know that there was a problem up here someone had with gold body paint reacting badly with paraffin and causing some nasty rashes. 'Fraid I don't know the make tho sorry.

beerchug

---------------------------------
Breathing fire doesn't look good on the resume - Everclear

mcpPLATINUM Member
Flying Water Muppet
5,276 posts

Posted:
should be fine since you're not firebreathing. I imagine that doing tracing means you won't deliberately be spilling parrafin on your self...

"the now legendary" - Kaskade
"the still legendary" - Kaskade

I spunked in my friend's aquarium and the fish ate it. I love all fish. Especially the pink ones. They are my bitches. - Anon.

AdeSILVER Member
Are we there yet?
1,897 posts

Posted:
that's a shame about the gold paint, because that's what I've got in my mind Lightning - some kind of play on adonis.... ubbrollsmile

della_bryantBRONZE Member
stranger
1 post

Posted:
I am body burnig in a club next week and wondered if anyone knew if thats will be safe with say.."stargazer uv paint on my skin" has one body burned while painted before?

Page: