Forums > Social Discussion > My reasons for joining the army.

Login/Join to Participate
Page:
_VT_SILVER Member
Your Face!
1,173 posts

Posted:
I am joining the U.S. Army and i have had many people ask me why from this site and i thought i would get it all out right here. I am joining the army because I would like to learn a job skill that when i come out i can make good money at. such as but not limited to combat engineer,heavy engine mechanics,or medical equipment repair. also while i am in the army i get free medical,and tuition for college, when i come out of the army. I get free medical for the rest of my life,a loan to buy a home, and three years of solid work history.

I also have a few personal reasons for joining. I have been haveing trouble finding some sense of structure in my life. Not that i'm sure that i could'nt find it on my own,I just think The army might help in giving me a push. So basicly i'm joining the army for some self-improvement that not only i need but want in a major way. I've just kind of floated through life since i was 13,and i'm tired of floating. I feel that the army is(for me) a good point of focus.

EDITED_BY: -VT- (1081526688)

Heroism on command, senseless violence, and all the loathsome nonsense that goes by the name of patriotism - how passionately I hate them!
-Albert Einstein-

Peanut butter... It fills the cracks of the soul! -Paul Blart-

duballstarSILVER Member
slack rating - 9.5
2,216 posts

Posted:
good for you man. beerchug
reckon you'll still be able to do poi though? what do you think your co-soldiers would make of it? confused

It is our fantasies that make us real. Without our fantasies we're just a blank monkey' - Terry Pratchett

wan hwo renmember
86 posts

Posted:

All your reasons are personal reasons and they do sound good in that sense. I notice that you make no mention of any reason that you think you are doing anything positve for anybody else though. Maybe you do think that the american military does good things for the world - we're all entitled to our opinions. I hope this is something that you have thought about.

I personally think that you are joining a force that is not being used for good right now. By joining the army you become a part of it and will be complicit in what america is doing - if you have really thought about it and you do think that the american military is making the world a better place then I guess you are making the right decision. If you are ignoring the greater implications of what you are signing up for and doing it just for personal reasons then I would urge you to put more thought into it.

_VT_SILVER Member
Your Face!
1,173 posts

Posted:
hey, the personal reason's are why i'm joining. I love my country,but i don't have to like what it does with it's resources. i'm joining to better myself and i know that makes me sound like an incosiderate ass,but hey i'm not going in to kill people or desimate society's. I do think that what the U.S. is doing is wrong, but i have floated through life on the skin of my ass and i'm tired of it. So, in order for me to better myself as a person,Then yes i am going to help the U.S. but i will not idley let myself be a lazy do nothing for the rest of my life. I'm not sure where i'm going with this,but this is how i feel and if that makes me an ass then i am an ass.

Heroism on command, senseless violence, and all the loathsome nonsense that goes by the name of patriotism - how passionately I hate them!
-Albert Einstein-

wan hwo renmember
86 posts

Posted:
I'm not saying it makes you an ass, but it sounds to me like you're selling out if you want my opinion (well you probably don't, oh well here it is anyways) You're not going to "kill people or desimate societies" but you're going to join an organization that does exactly that?

I just don't think joining something that requires you to robotically obey orders with no thought of your own and plundering people's from around the world in order to protect american stock markets sounds like a good way for anybody to make themselves a better person.

Put it this way - from the point of view of a lot of the world's population you are voluntarily joining up to become a terrorist in what is by far the most powerful, rich, and organized criminal organization in the world.

RoziSILVER Member
100 characters max...
2,996 posts

Posted:
You have thought about this carefully, so no, you are not an ass. I think maybe what we are saying is be strong enough to find answers to some really tough questions, and then make your decision.

You have outlined your personal reasons very succinctly. However you also need to address the global implications of what you are doing, otherwise you will not be satisfied. Some days you may think "hey, I am just one person, what difference do I make?" but in your heart of hearts you know that individuals make all the difference.

What are the overall aims of the US military (declared and undeclared)?
What are the actions, as a group, of the US military (declared and undeclared)?
Do these aim and actions fit with your framework of beliefs and ethics?
Of the aims and actions that don't fit, how integral are they to what the military does? How much will they impact on your own belief structure?

I have tried to leave this as neutral as possible, so that you think over these questions and look at the good and the bad that is done by the US military. It may be that even if you, with entirely open eyes, see bad stuff, you feel it is outweighed by good stuff.

As an entirely non-neutral side note, I don't think the military is the only solution for you keeping your life on track. And I think you are probably smart and strong enough to stop yourself "floating through life" using other means. Don't feel that your options are limited.

It was a day for screaming at inanimate objects.

What this calls for is a special mix of psychology and extreme violence...

AnonymousPLATINUM Member

Posted:
Dude, the recruiter will tell you anything it takes to get you to enlist. Get everything in writing. You might even want to get a lawyer to look at it. I posted some friendly advice in your intro. Cheers!

Sorry, I am very very tired. If you want some insight you can pm me.

_VT_SILVER Member
Your Face!
1,173 posts

Posted:
Quote:

What are the overall aims of the US military (declared and undeclared)?

first i'm going to say that i don't know what the undeclared intentions are. From what i gather from the news we(The U.S.) are in iraq and afganistan to stop terrorisim,eliminate weapon's of mass destruction,and restore iraq's government to it's people. wich in turn is kinda funny since appearently we invaded iraq in the first place on false information. big thumbs up for idiot bush.

Quote:

What are the actions, as a group, of the US military (declared and undeclared)?

to go in and hunt down members of al queda and other terrorist cells. also to stop insurgents who don't want the military to aid in the restoration of iraq's government to it's people.

Quote:

Do these aim and actions fit with your framework of beliefs and ethics?

Yes and no. yes on the captureing al queda operatives and other terrorist orginizations and no on the bombing of iraq just to get one guy out of power. i think that was idiotic on bush's part to send our troops in to iraq in light of the information that the the original information was bogus.

Quote:

Of the aims and actions that don't fit, how integral are they to what the military does?

It's not what the military does it's what the president and senate send them to do. all the military is doing is what there nations leaders are telling them to do.

Quote:

How much will they impact on your own belief structure?

A lot. at heart i'm a [censored] hipee. I believe in peace,love and all that other tree hugging stuff,but all the stuff going on in iraq besides us rebuilding what we blew up and restoreing the government was a waste of time,money,men,women,children and resources. I'm all for getting rid of weapons of mass destruction but only if the information can be proven without a shadow of a doubt. i'm also all for the deconstruction of terrorist cells such as al queda.

Quote:

As an entirely non-neutral side note, I don't think the military is the only solution for you keeping your life on track.

That's the thing though. My life has never actualy been "on track". I have been able to float through life by relying on other people to help me.I am thankfull for haveing those people in my life,but they won't be there forever.I need to find out what i can do for myself than have have people help me with money,food and a place to stay. I realize that is what i am doing now by joining the U.S. Army. But, when i get out i won't have to rely on other people to help me get through life. I will have a decent career in wich i can make good money at.I have never had to do anything without someone else supporting me. I need to find out what i can do for myself.Basicly what i am saying is that i have become so reliant on others for my own well being that truly,i don't actualy know how to be responsible for my own well being. I feel that the army can teach me these things and more. It's 5:30 in the morning and i can hear my brain sizzleing from thinking so hard,so i'm going to stop here for now.
EDITED_BY: Døm (1081165091)

-Albert Einstein-

MikeGinnyGOLD Member
HOP Mad Doctor
13,925 posts

Posted:
I personally support what you're doing. I think many of your reasons are right. You don't have to agree with everything an institution does to join it. Lord knows I wouldn't be in medical school if I thought that medicine was always right.

But why the Army? Why not the Navy or Air Force? Or Coast Guard? Or Marines?

-Mike

Certified Mad Doctor and HoP High Priest of Nutella

A buckuht n a hooze! -Valura

_VT_SILVER Member
Your Face!
1,173 posts

Posted:
no reason. exept they had the training that i want for a career.

-Albert Einstein-

MikeGinnyGOLD Member
HOP Mad Doctor
13,925 posts

Posted:
I guess I figured that the Navy, Air Force, and Coast Guard would offer better technical training.

And with the Coast Guard, you don't generally kill people and topple governments. You just stop drug smugglers and illegal immigrants.

-Mike

_VT_SILVER Member
Your Face!
1,173 posts

Posted:
yea but you do not have choise in what you do in the coastguard. you learn what they teach you not what you want to learn.

-Albert Einstein-

spritieSILVER Member
Pooh-Bah
2,014 posts

Posted:
I personally think what you are doing is a good thing and support you completely. I've seen more than one guy enter the service for the exact same reasons you are, and they have definitely come out a much better person because of it. They also have goals in life to strive for again, and feel good about themselves.

I think the army (or any military service) will be able to give you what you are looking for in life, and structure as well, so kudos and hug to you for having the guts to go through with it.

Lightning, training in the coast guard is some of the most rigorous out there. What you specialize in depends on your prior qualifications and how you do on certain tests. Also, even if you are accepted to a given area, you can still get kicked out of it by not passing a weekly test. I got a good earful about it from a date last night.

hug again.

DuncGOLD Member
playing the days away
7,263 posts

Posted:
well done on the decision, while i think armies do a lot of bad stuff they also do some damn good. What you do and don't hear about. You sound very committed so well done beerchug
But like Lighning I was gonna ask why the Army? What role will it be that you are taking in the Army? Do you get to choose what it is you will be doing there so precisely to suit your wants?

Let's relight this forum ubblove

GidgBRONZE Member
Super Gidg!!!!
8,506 posts

Posted:
Even though I don't like what we are doing in some parts of the world, I agree with what you are doing VT. You have made a decision and taking control of your life.

When are you thinking of going in? and remember to keep in touch, you wouldn't want to have this little old lady ( biggrin ) come up to you on base and give you the what for. wink

hug hug wave wave

Growing old is mandatory; growing up is NOT.
Proud member of the HoP DPS.
Sanity is a highly overrated state of mind.
I'm normal ... it's everyone else that's crazy.

Gidg

DomBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,009 posts

Posted:
Sounds like you've made an informed and balanced decision, so good luck and I hope it turns out well for you.

I can understand your thinking of the army as self improvement, I've heard it many times before from those that have served. The balance seems to be between accepting a military lifestyle and not becoming a blind follower. I reckon you seem to have a strong enough spirit to take what you need and give what's needed.

Interestingly I was having a conversation about military service this weekend. There's definitely a case for it, for the self-improvement reason, but that's a whole other, massive discussion.

Good luck, and take care if you do end up anywhere a bit too hot and sandy.

Mistress AuroraHot Schtuff
1,032 posts

Posted:
Good luck in whatever you choose as a career in the Army. I too have been pondering whether to join the military. The only deterant I have right now is being stationed away from my town. So I may do Reserves or something.

But yeah Army tends to have a bit more options for me as well. What exactly do you want to learn while your are in the Army? confused

RISK: Do not follow the common path; Go where there is no path and leave a trail.

EeraBRONZE Member
old hand
1,107 posts

Posted:
If anyone, ANYONE is considering joining the army, do. It could be the best thing you have ever done in your life and if it isn't, hey, you gave it a shot and it's only a couple of years. I have no vested interest in getting people into the Military, only some great memories and experiences.

Lt. Bradbury (Royal Logistics Corp), offspring of Capt Bradbury (Royal Electrical and Mechanical Engineers), son of RSM Bradbury (Royal Tank Corp). Got a family thing going on here...

There is a slight possibility that I am not actually right all of the time.

SpitFireGOLD Member
Mand's Girl....and The Not So Shy One
2,723 posts

Posted:
Congrats, VT on a tough decision. I very nearly joined the reserves myself. Glad I didn't, because of the way things have turned out in the last few months....had I been in the reserves, I would be in Kuwait right now, and wouldn't have met Mand.

Your reasons for joining are similar to mine.

As Dom says, there is a balance between accepting the lifestyle without becoming a blind follower. Being a little bit older than your average recruit will help you with that.

Good luck to you, my friend!

Solitude sometimes speaks to you, and you should listen.

UCOFSILVER Member
15,417 posts

Posted:
NOW I understand your status!

Good luck mate. Hope it goes well for you.

Pink...?BRONZE Member
Mistress of Pink...Multicoloured
6,140 posts

Posted:
Just one word of advice... dont just depend on getting into the military. I did and then i done my knee in and found myself completely lost! Make a back-up plan!

But sounds like you are going in for all the right reasons. ubbangel

Never pick up a duck in a dungeon...

MikeGinnyGOLD Member
HOP Mad Doctor
13,925 posts

Posted:
My understanding is that in the U.S., once you're in, if you should get hurt, you at least have VA benefits for life. Of course, the VA is an iffy thing and the quality of services depends on where you are. If you are near a major academic center, then the VA physicians cross over from the academic center (so our VA has U of Michigan docs and the VA in Palo Alto has Stanford docs), but if you're just at a random VA, the care can be...

scary.

-Mike

_VT_SILVER Member
Your Face!
1,173 posts

Posted:
what i did not mention before is that i do not have my G.E.D.(General Equivalancy Diploma). By some helpful and ironic twist of fate my recruiter is going to pay for me to take my test. He told me i can pay him back after i get my first check. I've been telling him for the past week that i have been trying to find work so i could pay for it,but so far i have not been able to find any. so yesterday i talked to him and he told me he would pay for it wich is a load of my shoulders because it cost's (U.S.)$75. I thank my goddess for this chance.

-Albert Einstein-

DentrassiGOLD Member
ZORT!
3,045 posts

Posted:
it sounds like that youve really thought through why you are joining, and that you can develop yourself personally and professionally through this opportunity.

congratulations! have fun, but take care and be safe.
hug hug hug

"Here kitty kitty...." - Schroedinger.

spritieSILVER Member
Pooh-Bah
2,014 posts

Posted:
That's awesome news. I'm glad things are falling in to place for you, and good luck to you. hug

_VT_SILVER Member
Your Face!
1,173 posts

Posted:
*Bump* Well now for an update. I have gotten my G.E.D. . I went for my Physical last week and past it! I am leaveing for boot camp and A.I.T. (Advanced Individual Training) on june the 8th. I have 9 weeks of boot and 5 weeks of A.I.T., so i get a total of 14 weeks of training. Then from there i'm not sure where i'm going. I'm thinking of getting based with my brother and sister in law in germany.

-Albert Einstein-

MikeGinnyGOLD Member
HOP Mad Doctor
13,925 posts

Posted:
No no no! Come here and help defend us against those wily and evil Canuks! ubblol

-Mike

SpitFireGOLD Member
Mand's Girl....and The Not So Shy One
2,723 posts

Posted:
You didn't pick what unit you'd serve with? I knew when I left MEPS that day, though....that could have been due to the fact I was joining the reserves....

Solitude sometimes speaks to you, and you should listen.

_VT_SILVER Member
Your Face!
1,173 posts

Posted:
no, not yet spitfire. I'm supposed to go to my recruiter tomorrow to figure that out.

-Albert Einstein-

AnonymousPLATINUM Member

Posted:
Quote:

No no no! Come here and help defend us against those wily and evil Canuks! ubblol

Naw! We only needed to burn the White House once! 1812! cool cool cool

DentrassiGOLD Member
ZORT!
3,045 posts

Posted:
would you mind burning it down again?

"Here kitty kitty...." - Schroedinger.

Page: