Forums > Other Toys > Flaming Swords, anyone?

Login/Join to Participate
Page:
FireGirl_and_Pixieboymember
29 posts

Posted:
here's whatcha do.

get a big sword, no...bigger
that's right.

attach kevlar to it.

BURRRRRRRRRRRRRRRN

and swing.

(and chop)

ubbidea

...wot?

Bender_the_OffenderGOLD Member
still can't believe it's not butter
6,978 posts

Posted:
oh my.
i hope no-one gets hurt!! peace

Laugh Often, Smile Much, Post lolcats Always

DurbsBRONZE Member
Classically British
5,689 posts

Posted:
I **REALLY** hope you're taking the piss...

Very dangerous things fire swords - lots of flame, lots of hot metal.

Do a search (See up top where it says "Search"? Click that wink ) for fire swords - it's been done to death...

[edit]

[/helpful mode]

[Old link]

[Old link]

[Old link]

[Old link]

There's a wealth of information on the boards here - just a little effort and you can find all you need smile

Replying to these old posts also "bumps" it on to the front pages so people can contribute to it.

[/helpful mode]

Burner of Toast
Spinner of poi
Slacker of enormous magnitude

29 posts

Posted:
It would be a cool prop to breathe off, better visually than a club, and how good would a choreographed staff/sword fight with phyre look? Come on...

...wot?

DomBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,009 posts

Posted:
Durbs, I'm just following you round the board saying thank you!

hug

thorFlaming Lesbian
181 posts

Posted:
i'm not going to look at any of those posted links, so if i say something they already mention, pfft.

i went to controlled burn tonight in reno and chris had a nice `fire sword` (that i kinda pilfered for a few minutes there) which looked like a wooden core (thick broom handle, staff material) with just a buttload of kevlar spiraled around one end down to about 10" from the bottom. works beautifully. but all the episodes of highlander i've been watching lately, and the fact that it was on fire were the only things that made it impressive. there's not really THAT much you can do with one. =]

that's the method i recommend.... wrapping a real sword in kevlar is asking for more trouble than it's worth. especially since it's hard to tell the difference.

now, you could look into palaoian fire knife spinning, where i hear they just dunk the blades in naptha and light em, but you might not be as crazy as them...

Lights dancing off my skin as chains wrap round it.
Pain is in a little box and I'm so glad I found it.

DurbsBRONZE Member
Classically British
5,689 posts

Posted:
Quote:

i'm not going to look at any of those posted links, so if i say something they already mention, pfft.

umm

This isn't particularly helpful really is it?

Burner of Toast
Spinner of poi

29 posts

Posted:
I was thinkin more of a scimitar style sword, using steel with kevlar on the back side of it, so you still have a blade...T'would be cool I reckon. Choreographed staff n sword fights with phyre, etc

...wot?

Sir_Sheepold hand
725 posts

Posted:
Give Pink...? a few more lessons, and I think she'll be well up for some fire sword routines.

Spoiling Christmas for small children since 2003.

musashiistarring Skippy the green llama
1,148 posts

Posted:
Tabasco from Pyrosutra makes some scimitar shaped blades, his companies is call Iron Gypsy, good stuff. Think I saw where Riz has made one before too for belly dancing.

First intention, then enlightenment..
Ars Pyronomica

" Life is programmed. Whether death is programmed or not is yet to be determined."

CodySILVER Member
That guy from Reno
556 posts

Posted:
Musashii, thor's actually talking about one of the shinai fire swords we were talking about a while ago, (I guess we failed to point that out to him, sorry thor smile) It's not solid wood, it's bamboo. wink

Cody Canon
Controlled Burn, Reno Nevada

1,148 posts

Posted:
oi, I was just replying to fg and pb..Loox like it's time to try that design out, we broke one of the bokken at the last show. We ah, were kinda in the zone, went a little too hard on the blocks and attacks, and snapped the top foot or so off. ubbcrying Have 3 shinai here, so as soon as I get this wicking in I was thinking about putting one together, I'll let ya know how it goes beerchug

Ars Pyronomica

" Life is programmed. Whether death is programmed or not is yet to be determined."

CodySILVER Member
That guy from Reno
556 posts

Posted:
Cool biggrin

Cody Canon
Controlled Burn, Reno Nevada

Gnor's BillSILVER Member
26 posts

Posted:
I have made quite a few swords and my wife Gnor is keen to have a fire sword or two to play with.
I read the threads mentioned above. Lots of ideas and opinions and some good practical stuff.
Gnor and i have played with swords for many years so we have that bit sorted. We have the armour as well which might proved handy.
Lots to think about. So many things to make and so little time.

Cheers all.

If found wandering please return to Gnor.

29 posts

Posted:
That sounds funky. I was gonna make a two handed sword-big blade, big handle, but a pair of flaming short swords would be cool too. I guess you just apply staff tricks n club spinnin tricks....

Has anyone ever tried a double bladed staff type thing? Couldn't find a pic, but heres a name...lajatang

...wot?

Squeegeemember
18 posts

Posted:
FG/PB: I performed a fire sword/staff battle with a friend about 6 months ago, ending with a big clash and me blowing a fireball off his sword flame. Staff/sword battles are lotsa fun cool
-Squee

PsychoTronic(old)member
64 posts

Posted:
hmmm..... wink

The only thing constant in life is change...

Toreador VampBRONZE Member
70 posts

Posted:
Something to remember if you are thinking of any form of fighting with fire swords, the fire could well destroy any temper in the metal and make the blade more prone to brakages.

Give a man a fire, and he's warm for a day. Set him on fire, and he's warm for the rest of his life
-- Terry Pratchett-Jingo

Reality is what refuses to go away when I stop believing in it.

Bender_the_OffenderGOLD Member
still can't believe it's not butter
6,978 posts

Posted:
hey if youse wanna see the extent of what i could do with my fireswordness several months before i broketh me leg, gimme access to some online storage and ima upload some raw footage that didn't never made it onto COL 4.
I promist I did.

Laugh Often, Smile Much, Post lolcats Always

Dragon7GOLD Member
addict
625 posts

Posted:
Paaallleeaase someone give the man some freakin space.

/me bouncing off the walls.

I really want some dragon wings or maybee some eagles...ohhhhhhh ahhhhh

I initially wanted some Tiger swords, but i found out they were already taken wink

Hey hey if your not using them right now, any chance of a borrow? wink lolsign

/me sending bender crazy chi leg fixing ability meditate
EDITED_BY: Taniwha7 (1083059504)

DurbsBRONZE Member
Classically British
5,689 posts

Posted:
Bender me ol' squiggle

I've got some space going spare - if you can get it too me - how big are we talking?

Burner of Toast
Spinner of poi

Dragon7GOLD Member
addict
625 posts

Posted:
OMG whos your daddy!!!

wow

DurbsBRONZE Member
Classically British
5,689 posts

Posted:
John wink

Burner of Toast
Spinner of poi

Dragon7GOLD Member
addict
625 posts

Posted:
LMAO

I walked right into that 1. clap lolsign

Puck Dallasmember
23 posts

Posted:
Sounds like a smithy answer. Not to mention your right. I have seen it done in numerous ways but I would recomend being choosey on what you use it for just on the sheer fact that heat does destroy the temper can be rough on a weapon. There are also the easy ways to do it by attaching it by wraped wire but after a good fight routine the wick will mushroom out there by creating a larger possibility for an accident to happen. Normaly that method will only last for one routine depending on how you use the wire to attach the kevlar. I have done firebreathing with swords if done right it can be very nifty but I have seen it go the other way to. There are other methods of consturcting sword or what looks like a sword though not all good for a combat routine. I have seen wicking done on the back side of a one edged sword and there are less problems with the wick falling apart. I had considered drilling holes down the side of a blood grove to reinvent the wire worked sword and to add shelf life to it but was recomended by some smith freinds that it might weaken the blade not to mention the fire makes it very possible for the sword to.....explode, shater, or crack and loose structural integrity.With the add holes also affecting structural integrity.

I hope this is helpfull
EDITED_BY: Puck Dallas (1083086189)

1,148 posts

Posted:
I thought about the same things, came to pretty much the same conclusion talking to smithies here in town too, for our purposes, which involves mostly sparring/choreographed fights. Later on in the summer I want to try out a design based on a tai chi sword, use the same weight distribution on the handle and blade, except using a blunt core of steel and wrapping/weaving kevlar down that, with holes drilled down the blade.

Ars Pyronomica

DJ DantanaBRONZE Member
veteran
1,495 posts

Posted:
you realy want some online storage? I'll give you some if I can host your fire sword vid!!!

we eat and we drink and we smoke and we try!

Furiamember
2 posts

Posted:
Quote:

Tabasco from Pyrosutra makes some scimitar shaped blades, his companies is call Iron Gypsy, good stuff. Think I saw where Riz has made one before too for belly dancing.

I do fire sword as part of my routine.....as a bellydancer, we use swords alot and when I made the transition to fire I really wanted to work with my sword still.

I contacted Riz and sent him my scimitar to wick the edge because I wanted to maintain the "look" of the scimitar. He did a FANTASTIC job (can I be an egoist and say it got Riz excited to make swords too??? hehehehe...thanks as always Riz!!!..he's super).

My sword does not get hot at all, but part of my "act" is to eventually get it onto my head for balancing - the sword DOES flare pretty heavily so I usually do alot of moving around with the sword and posing - martial arts type things and then I finish with it balanced on my head. The flame at that point is pretty low so I don't have much burn time for the finale of the act.

I don't do this if there is any hint of a wind though!!!

I have a great pic taken at last years Hot Rod Hoedown, I'll see if I can post the pic, not sure how to do this....

~Furia

Furiamember
2 posts

Posted:
Not sure if this will work:

https://www.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseact...=20040502203356

mo-sephenthusiast
523 posts

Posted:
Hi all,

Just thought I'd post my recent experience with flaming swords...

I made a pair from 3/4" aluminium tubing, which I wrapped with about half a meter of heavy linen cloth each, and then covered with 2m of wick from the end to about 30cm from the other end. Inner tube for the handle, two screws at each end of the wick to hold it on, and away you go.

The ally tube construction means that you probably can't spar with them (although mine are still straight after some practise fights). They are also really heavy - it's not so bad if you're using one, but as a pair they will destroy your arms and make holes in your hands.

That said, there's some really good points:
- Theres almost no hot metal (four screws on each sword, and the bit near the handle)
- You can do devilstick style moves where you hold one sword on the other and catch the handle
- There's a *lot* of fire. Like really a lot. You can't do stabbing moves, because the fireball stays in the same place when the sword stabs and you burn all the hairs off your arm.

And to whoever said there's not much you can do with swords, I disagree... I'm only just getting the hang of things, but there's all the poi moves to do with double swords, lots of weaves and windmills and those pirouettes where you stick your arms straight out etc... There's also some lovely staff type things if you hold both handles with the "blades" facing in opposite directions (I've got a btb weave coming on, which I'll feel safe trying on fire one day)

To get a feel for what they look like, there's a picture here.

If anyone wants more construction info, let me know.

Cheers,
mo-seph

monkeys ate my brain

DurbsBRONZE Member
Classically British
5,689 posts

Posted:
Oooooooooo they're BIG biggrin

Very nice - do you practice any particular sword style with them, or is it self taught?

Burner of Toast
Spinner of poi

Page: