Forums > Social Chat > steppin through my rings

Login/Join to Participate

master sodiummember
536 posts

Posted:
lately I've been having a problem when spinning in raves and such. I find myself a nice spot out of the flow of traffic, with plenty of room and start to spin. then people start trying to walk through my rings. sometimes these fuckers look right at me, and walk through. they even have plenty of room to walk around. is it proper courtesy to try and avoid hitting them (which usually results in creating welts on my body) or do I smack the idiots to make them learn?

you can't have a war against terrorism because war IS terrorism.it's not about worshipping fire. its about making the fire want to worship you.

phunkyold hand
877 posts

Posted:
The never ending question. NO MATTER WHERE YOU go someone seems to walk into you. It can't be helped. You would think people would be able to see someone spinning glowsticks around their body but seriously they don't. Usually because they're under the influence of something. The way i look at it is, If they can't see you spinning when you obviously chose a low trafic area to spin at, they DESERVE to get hit. Some people will argue that you shouldn't even be spinning indoors anyways, but aren't raves suppose to be places where you can pretty much do anything you want? (as long as it's not illegal)

DomBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,009 posts

Posted:
I'm sure this has been discussed before somewhere. My personal thoughts:

With most clubs there's rarely enough room for someone to spin in. If someone owns a club they're going to try to fill it to capacity. So, when you decide to spin in a club you have to remember you paid the same as everyone else to get in, so what why take up 4 times the amount of space?

When I spin in clubs I always make sure there's enough room to spin, and then some.
I only ever really spin for 5/10 minutes, because some people just don't appreciate it and I have to respect that. Hogging the dance floor for ages is greedy, and shows no thought for other dancers and spinners who would like the space.
I stop if room starts to become an issue because even if I was there first it's greedy to hog space.
If somebody walks too close then I'll try to avoid them. It's easy to not see little glowsticks moving fast in a hectic club. When people can't see large and bright Aerotech clubs then I wonder what they're on, but regardless you've got to respect peoples right not to get hit! Also because I'm changing moves people can't know where the poi are going next, so I have to work round them.

End of the day partying is about respecting each other. People respect my right to spin, and thankfully other people enjoy watching, and I have to respect other people's desire to dance in the space taken up by my poi. But the main reason we're all there is to have fun, and if I'm interfering with somebody's night then that's my bad.

phunkyold hand
877 posts

Posted:
You could argue that some dancers take up 4 times the space also. I guess you have to know when to spin and not to spin in a crowded situation.

master sodiummember
536 posts

Posted:
I was mostly just talking about when you have plenty of room to spin, and you're off in a back corner somewhere and people still walk through. also I generally use two 12" glowsticks, so they should be able to see them.

you can't have a war against terrorism because war IS terrorism.it's not about worshipping fire. its about making the fire want to worship you.

CharlesBRONZE Member
Corporate Circus Arts Entertainer
3,989 posts

Posted:
The reason this happens is that a number of people just don't realise what you are doing = they don't realise they could get hurt by what you are doing = they may not have even seen you (consciously, as in the light off your glowsticks made them think about what you were doing).

When i first started busking, I had several near misses where I'd be spinning a fully-laden firestaff, lit, around with a great big whooshing noise and flames going everywhere. In the middle of a Aotea Square, which is a huge wide expance of concrete tile with nothing blocking their view of me.

And everynow and then someone would just walk past within inches! or be talking to their friends and not notice they were going to walk right into me!

I quickly became paranoid about actually bashing someone in the face accidentally. Now I have a well-tuned radar that continually checks all routeswhere people might be coming from when busking in As spinners, we automatically notice when someone else with glowsticks or fire is spinning and know of the dangers, but we have to remember that most other people have other things on their mind and may not be aware of us.

I know it doesn't make any sense, and they SHOULD see us and the SHOULD know the danger etc etc, but, in my experience at least, it doesn't, so we, being the ones who will be blamed no matter whose fault it is, need to keep our eyes very carefully peeled.

My two cents...

HoP Posting Guidelines
* Is it the Truth?
* Is it Fair to all concerned?
* Will it build Goodwill and Better Friendships?
* Will it be Beneficial to all concerned?

CantusSILVER Member
Tantamount to fatuity
15,966 posts

Posted:
Pk likes hitting people in clubs with his poi. But mostly they're 'Crasher Kids so they don't matter....

Meh

SickpuPpyNinja Rockstar!
1,100 posts

Posted:
The problem with spinning glosticks at raves is this:
Fisrtly, glosticks don't hurt
Secondly, everyone is on drugs

So when they see you spinning they are too out of their mind to tell if you are doing anything or if are just catching trails from the dance floor.

solution:
spin fire. It hurts more, and humans have an inheirant fear of the stuff

That'll teach those friggin eheads..............

Jesus helps me trick people.

CantusSILVER Member
Tantamount to fatuity
15,966 posts

Posted:
Did you get thatJohnny Violent tune Puppy?

I've heard Beaming Poi do some damage when in flight......

Meh

phunkyold hand
877 posts

Posted:
I haven't touched my beaming poi after the "accident". Those things are the work of the devil. I don't care how good you think you are you're going to get pegged somewhere eventually.

AdeSILVER Member
Are we there yet?
1,897 posts

Posted:
Rescue remedy for bashing yourself in the head so hard you almost knock yourself out with those workofthedevilbeamingpoi, as tried and tested last Friday afternoon:

1. Get frozen peas from fridge
2. Wrap in tea towel
3. Sit in darkened room
4. Put peas on forehead for at least 10 minutes
5. Wait for boyfriend to come home (who happens to be a trained first aider)
6. Have him assess your 'concussion' possibilities
7. After 10 minutes of peas, apply a lot of arnica cream, praying to the Gods that you won't have a massive bruise and black eye for the wedding you're going to the next day

Six days later, and I've still got a little bump on my forehead

At least no on'e ever going to steal my beaming poi

My experience: Don't play with poi, staff and double staff for an hour, and then decide to finish of with just one more quick go with the beaming poi - it'll only end in tears! Gotta love 'em though.

[ 18 April 2002, 17:27: Message edited by: Ade ]

fluffy napalm fairyCarpal \'Tunnel
3,638 posts

Posted:
OUCH!!

I don't have experience spining in crowded places but while practising at home my parents, siblings, pets and random strangers in my house seem to walk oblivious into my staff/poi while I'm spinning. !! They honestly seem to have no spacial awareness or realize that they WILL be hit and it WILL hurt. But oh well... I'm the one who's spinning, I'm the one who's gotta be aware and I'm the one who's gotta make sure I don't actually hit anyone. It's just the way it is. No problem

Geologists do it in the dirt................ spank

master sodiummember
536 posts

Posted:
yeah, I was figuring after I got my beaming poi, and knocked someone out, that they'd learn. oh yeah, my ass glowstick dont hurt!!! smack a 12 or an 18 incher across a bare leg or arm at speed and tell me that shit dont hurt like all hell. still, groin shots are worse.

Paddyback from the dead...sort of
884 posts

Posted:
phunky, what is this accident you speak of? I don't believe I was around to hear of it...

phunkyold hand
877 posts

Posted:
Because i haven't really spoken of it. Basically i was a hotshot newbie and decided to buy those beaming poi even though they had that expert warning on them. You know me, i didn't think i'd ever get hit with them. So one day i start spinning them, i mess up some how i just just can myself. The worst pain in my life. At that point i didn't know if i was able to have kids for the rest of my life lol. The pain subsided and i haven't touched them since. Anyways, that's my horror story

3,638 posts

Posted:
again, i say - OUCH!!

SickpuPpyNinja Rockstar!
1,100 posts

Posted:
I stand by my statment that glosticks do not hurt.

And yes Cantus, I did get that e heads must die song.

Jesus helps me trick people.

Hook's baneWill bite you (unless you tickle behind my ears)
188 posts

Posted:
It doesn't matter how loved up you feel, after that guy has danced into your personal space the umpteenth time (and you're convinced he's doing it on purposes) and your poi or staff have bounced off him again and he's shot you yet another cheesy, plastic, dull minded lifeless smile from the very bottom of existance. Thoughts can only turn to evil.....

...tick tick tick....

CantusSILVER Member
Tantamount to fatuity
15,966 posts

Posted:
Lanford establishes himself as the evil twin...

Glowsticks don't hurt as much as steel propelled tennis balls (which is basically what my heavy chains are).

Ros honey, you really must come spinning in a club with me sometime.

*resists mentioning iminent Lab4 gig again *

Meh

greenfyregirlSILVER Member
journeyman
55 posts

Posted:
WHAT??!!! Lab 4??!! Where? when?

I saw them at an Anti-world thing in the Drome in London last year. It was excellent and a leetle bit sweaty!

3,638 posts

Posted:
hmmmmmm........*looks sheepishly at the floor* don't blame me - it's the train's fault!

CantusSILVER Member
Tantamount to fatuity
15,966 posts

Posted:
They're playing at Headcharge in Sheffield on Friday night.

I'm not going. I'm spending a quiet night in with my beautiful girlfriend.

[ 21 April 2002, 14:06: Message edited by: C@ntus ]

Meh

KyrianDreamer
4,308 posts

Posted:
People really haev no concept of space. It's quite funny. Unfortunetly, i did hit someone in the head with my own version of steel propeled tennis balls (not as bad as cantus' tho)this weekend... they don't hurt that badly, imo, but i felt really bad. she swerved around something at the last minute into a behind the head move i was doing.... erp

Keep your dream alive
Dreamin is still how the strong survive

Shalom VeAhavah

New Hampshire has a point....

Bender_the_OffenderGOLD Member
still can't believe it's not butter
6,978 posts

Posted:
when you say plur, ya say plur!
a raver that isn't busrting with love is as meaningless as an inflatable hammer. made of fairy floss. the hammer, not the raver.
some of the most bootfil people i have met were from ravetwirling. with respect to hitting people that walk into into your twirling orbit, the friendly scene here compels everyone to look out for everyone! I move in controlled space, spotting myself, and people generally watch from a safe distance. it is the eheads who act with respect. Public events (like Pele's recent shindig posting) are the source of the mayhem - pubs, big festivals, sheep herds etc. the choice in such a situation is to either scale back your spinning radius that you've taken up or move off altogether. the idea is to manage the risk level! I'll post footage in the future on this topic - an indoor fire gig where the clearance was less than 3m diameter, and people kept walking into me (even during a routine with 8" poi!) in that case, i twirled with my elbows close to my oddly feminine torso (!) doing very quick tucks (stalls?) inwards whenever Ms comes-from-outta-my-peripheral-vision comes walking straight across...
having said that, i've done silly things in the name of exhibitionism! Jamiroqaui had a good onstage laff when i scaled a big bin to glopoi earlier this year - the bin lid almost imploded!
the lesson? you're the best judge of your own risks! In the end, any performance is for the audience, and there are enuff good crowd 'interaction' tricks that don't involve surgical removal of embedded poi.

"it's nice to be important, but it's more important to rave! "

Laugh Often, Smile Much, Post lolcats Always

SpiralOolering Man
729 posts

Posted:
Once is excusable, twice is asking for it. Personally I'll avoid anyone once, but after that, its open season on vacant drug bunnies. Hey cantus, instead of a staf, I was thinking of a double ended glaive guisarm. I was thinking it might stop the others if they saw the pices of the lastone that walked into my spin splattered around my feet. Sorry, must appologise. Time of year and all that. Gotta sharpen my antlers and go out and have a good rut

SpiralOolering Man
729 posts

Posted:
Doesn't all that ecstacy induced fake love really piss you off though? Some people are genuine, but not all of them. There a tune, I think it called 'week become heroes' by the streets.
'They could settle wars with this, If only they will, Imagine the worlds leaders on pills, and imagine the morning after, wars causing disaster, Dont talk to me I dont know ya, But this aint tommorow and for now I still love ya'

I'm not a pessimist, I met half my freinds through going to parties and raves and stuff. I just get fed up of unconditional love sometimes. I think the best things in life should still be worked for. still love and hugs to all of ya! Hahahahahahahahahahahaha

master sodiummember
536 posts

Posted:
yeah, all those e-tards piss me off. I guess thats just cause now I'm seeing all the trendy/jock fag type people that always gave me shit in high school trying to be all nice and lovey. what a load of bullshit. just cause you're high dont mean I forgot the shit you put me through. maybe thats why I dont try to avoid the people with my poi. also probably why I dont party much around here.

DomBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,009 posts

Posted:
Spiral - Yes!!!