Forums > Social Chat > A rant about practicing

Login/Join to Participate

MikeGinnyGOLD Member
HOP Mad Doctor
13,925 posts

Posted:
So I was practicing yesterday and finally managed to nail a few moves that I've been wanting to nail for a long time now.

And then, quite surprisingly, found myself completely unable to do a 3-beat weave or a simple butterfly without tangling the poi or smacking myself.

Anyone else ever experience this phenomenon? rolleyes

-Mike

Certified Mad Doctor and HoP High Priest of Nutella

A buckuht n a hooze! -Valura

ShawnieGOLD Member
Captain Shawnie the Dreaded
126 posts

Posted:
Yeah but it's nothing that worries me. It's all due to your muscles' "memory" .. They just got used to that certain motion and changing to a different one requires a bit more awareness for a little bit.

oliSILVER Member
not with cactus
2,052 posts

Posted:
yea, i remember when i learnt the five beat, i forgot the three beat for a bit....

but it soon comes back, and its not to much of a problem smile

be happy you learnt new stuff. rant less, think of the good sides of things smile and to be honest practise can only be good...

peace

Me train running low on soul coal
They push+pull tactics are driving me loco
They shouldn't do that no no no

DomBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,009 posts

Posted:
Yep, which is why I try to go back to basics quite often and remind myself that I can't cleanly do 2 beat weaves all 4 ways!

pounceSILVER Member
All the neurotic makings of America's lesser known sweetheart
9,831 posts

Posted:
ya that happened to me when i finally learned the 3 beat....i could no longer do the 2 beat for awhile

I was always scared with my mother's obsession with the good scissors. It made me wonder if there were evil scissors lurking in the house somewhere.

Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons for you are crunchy and good with ketchup.

**giggles**

Bender_the_OffenderGOLD Member
still can't believe it's not butter
6,978 posts

Posted:
happens in the morning, or if i'm on fire.
sometimes both, but it has to be a sunday.

Laugh Often, Smile Much, Post lolcats Always

ben-ja-menGOLD Member
just lost .... evil init
2,474 posts

Posted:
i get it lots with contact and ill practise and practise for weeks solid and cant get it back, then ill leave it for a week or two and i get it back better than b4

Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure. It is our light, not our darkness that most frightens us. We ask ourself, who am I to be brilliant, gorgeous and talented? Who are you NOT to be?

(andrew)member
140 posts

Posted:
oooohh!!

what new moves did you learn?!?

weavesmiley

The main reason Santa is so jolly is because he knows where all thebad girls live.

MikeGinnyGOLD Member
HOP Mad Doctor
13,925 posts

Posted:
*is embarassed to say given the length of time he's spun*

Um...a right-to-left hyperloop and the 5-beat forward weave?

-Mike

Certified Mad Doctor and HoP High Priest of Nutella

A buckuht n a hooze! -Valura

DomBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,009 posts

Posted:
No need to be embarassed, or maybe I should be embarassed: I don't actually do right to left hyperloops and I live with the person who named them hyperloops. I think? I don't actually know what one is and why it isn't an air wrap because it blantantly is. Luckily neither of us care.

GottaLoveItSponge
883 posts

Posted:
Quote:

happens in the morning, or if i'm on fire.
sometimes both, but it has to be a sunday.

ubblol ubblol ubblol ubblol

Pigs are only 10% fat when lighting a candle in a cupboard while facing north with a feather in your hair but make sure the fat goat sings or your index finger will combust
Copyright - MiniRaver

Monkeys monkeys and bananas

vanizeSILVER Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,899 posts

Posted:
Quote:

No need to be embarassed, or maybe I should be embarassed: I don't actually do right to left hyperloops and I live with the person who named them hyperloops. I think? I don't actually know what one is and why it isn't an air wrap because it blantantly is. Luckily neither of us care.

well, they are airwraps, but the difference comes in on how you unwrap. I personally would say that a hyperloop is a particular kind of airwrap that has a more complex unwrap than a standard airwrap.

Oh oh... I'd better watch what I'm saying in the social section...

re: the original post, yes, I to have problems with basic moves sometimes now. In fact, I find holding almost any pattern very difficult now. I've gotten to used to always continuously changing from one move to the next without really ever completing anything anymore.

-v-

Wiederstand ist Zwecklos!

DomBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,009 posts

Posted:
Interestingly, I've never heard that explaination. Maybe I'll have to go read those posts I usually try and ignore smile

FrodoBRONZE Member
old hand
1,092 posts

Posted:
i just tried the 2 beat weave... and i cant do it!! frown ubbcrying

passing through, this world still lives.

vanizeSILVER Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,899 posts

Posted:
ubblol

Actually, I think that is why I enjoy teaching poi so much, as that is the time I can go back and work on my basics whilest trying to explain them to others!

-v-

Wiederstand ist Zwecklos!

DeepSoulSheepGOLD Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
2,617 posts

Posted:
Simpler moves can be more difficult sometimes.

I was trying to help a friend the other day and it took me a while to get a 2 beat btb on my right hand side going. Think it's cause I learnt a 2 beat on my left before the 3 and never came back to it. ubbidea

I live in a world of infinite possibilities.