Page:
MikeGinnyGOLD Member
HOP Mad Doctor
13,925 posts

Posted:
I just saw Kinudin tonight. It's not fair! He learned to spin when he was 15 and is one of the best spinners I've seen in my life!

Friggin' hippie raver druggie punk kid... rolleyes tongue wink hug

Please note: Kinudin is not actually a hippie or a druggie. He is, however, a raver at heart (although he doesn't rave) and is most certainly a punk kid.

weavesmiley

-Mike

Certified Mad Doctor and HoP High Priest of Nutella

A buckuht n a hooze! -Valura

mechBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
6,207 posts

Posted:
but surly these are the best pl to know, cos they cause you to strive for a better spin?

these ppl for me are the ones i think, wow they have that move so smooth, or wow they are so good atthat, or wow they are so fluid, i hope to be like that one day, and so i put teh practice in for it!?!!?!?!?!?

any whos, less ranting from my brain

laterdays

ps lightning you should visit the UK again man, so many amazing spinners it makes me cry!

Step (el-nombrie)

thorFlaming Lesbian
181 posts

Posted:
i'm not a raver or a druggie, but i'm a raver at heart

oh, and i suck at spinning poi. when i light up i do the 3bt weave, butterflys, and cork/mills and that's it..

those raver punks got all the moves. ;]

Lights dancing off my skin as chains wrap round it.
Pain is in a little box and I'm so glad I found it.

OrangeBoboSILVER Member
veteran
1,389 posts

Posted:
*puts up hand* I started at 14... rolleyes:

^^;

~ Bobo

wie weit, wie weit noch?
fragst mich, wo wir gewesen sind...
du fehlst hier

Pink...?BRONZE Member
Mistress of Pink...Multicoloured
6,140 posts

Posted:
I started at 15 ubbangel

Never pick up a duck in a dungeon...

DuncGOLD Member
playing the days away
7,263 posts

Posted:
I started at 26! tongue But I would have loved to have started at 15 cuz that's a way better time for the brain to learn. In fact I wish I'd started at 5!!

Let's relight this forum ubblove

RosscoOfficial HoP hobbity potato monster!
434 posts

Posted:
i started at 21 just as i came of age, but bug is right, i wish i started at 5 becase now i would just be hella cool! biggrin

O.B.E.S.E. Official Potato man.

Remeber kids.... Its all fun and games until someone loses a bol**ck! biggrin

ASTRO FAERIEBRONZE Member
ummmmmmm.............
724 posts

Posted:
I started at 18 *sigh* still not good with fire poi, pratice ones fine, fire POOO! ubblol maybe im just a scaredy cat ubbrollsmile

Only when the last tree has died
and the last river has been poisoned
and the last fish has been caught
will we realise that we
cannot eat money.

Cree Indian, 1909

peaches**86943thats sooooo not where i parked my car...................
198 posts

Posted:
i was 13 i was/is a wittle girl

we cant stop here its bat country!!!!!!!!!!!

UCOFSILVER Member
15,417 posts

Posted:
Quote:

Friggin' hippie raver druggie punk kid... rolleyes tongue wink hug

Please note: Kinudin is not actually a hippie or a druggie. He is, however, a raver at heart (although he doesn't rave) and is most certainly a punk kid.

So does that mean he is friggin'?

ubblol

Kapura MataaroHoP resident longboarder.
195 posts

Posted:
i definately wish i'd picked it up earlier, cos i see 12-13 year olds doing tricks that make me look like an absolute novice...gawd dammnit...i started when spinning when i was 17/18.. but have been using staff since i was about 16 beerchug biggrin good times... rolleyes biggrin

"surely a longboarding fire spinner should have no trouble getting some action!"- NYC....

NYCNYC
9,232 posts

Posted:
I've had so many wonderful lives before I picked up poi. I'm glad I didn't start earlier because I'd have missed all of that. I was a blues harmonica player, a swing dancer, a miniature modeler, a gamer and many other things before I became a fire spinner. I'd never wanted to have missed all that to become obsessed with only fire.

Fire came into my life at just the right time... 27 for me. They'll be something after fire too... I don't think I'll ever totally throw away my poi... then again, I never throw away any of my old hobbies... I guess that's why I suck at all of them. biggrin biggrin

Well, shall we go?
Yes, let's go.
[They do not move.]

colemanSILVER Member
big and good and broken
7,330 posts

Posted:
Quote:

a miniature modeler

were the big modelers mean to you?

is that the real reason you stopped modelling?

"i see you at 'dis cafe.
i come to 'dis cafe quite a lot myself.
they do porridge."
- tim westwood

simian110% MONKEY EVERY TIME ALL THE TIME JUST CANT STOP THE MONKEY
3,149 posts

Posted:
Lightning, could you please change the thread title? It's a little open to misinterpretation... eek redface

(nearly as bad as when my intro was "Enter the Monkey")

"Switching between different kinds of chuu chuu sometimes gives this "urgh wtf?" effect because it's giving people the phi phenomenon."

MikeGinnyGOLD Member
HOP Mad Doctor
13,925 posts

Posted:
Simian, you say "misinterpretation" as if it were a bad thing...

-Mike

pounceSILVER Member
All the neurotic makings of America's lesser known sweetheart
9,831 posts

Posted:
technically i started around age 13, but i didn't really get into it until i was 22...wish i had practiced more earlier tho frown

I was always scared with my mother's obsession with the good scissors. It made me wonder if there were evil scissors lurking in the house somewhere.

Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons for you are crunchy and good with ketchup.

**giggles**

ShawnieGOLD Member
Captain Shawnie the Dreaded
126 posts

Posted:
I don't think it's bad to start learning once you're an adult. Why wouldn't you want to? It's a great time to start. As a chile you're constantly learning, but as you age you learn less things in the same period of time. Adults - take pride in learning now. How many people your age aren't getting out to try new things?

MikeGinnyGOLD Member
HOP Mad Doctor
13,925 posts

Posted:
Because the younger you are, the more plastic your brain is. Give a 10-year-old poi and it's absolutely amazing how quickly they start doing moves you have never even seen before.

-Mike

OrangeBoboSILVER Member
veteran
1,389 posts

Posted:
WHOO! Go plastic brains!! ubbloco

~ Bobo

wie weit, wie weit noch?
fragst mich, wo wir gewesen sind...
du fehlst hier

TrillianBRONZE Member
Llamas are larger than frogs.
319 posts

Posted:
Quote:

Because the younger you are, the more plastic your brain is. Give a 10-year-old poi and it's absolutely amazing how quickly they start doing moves you have never even seen before.

The same goes for a lot of other things: instruments...languages...
I started @ 15, first saw it and thought "that would be cool to do" @ 13

"I know a good deal more than a boiled carrot."
"Fire!" "Where?" "Nowhere, I was just illustrating the misuse of free speech."

AdeSILVER Member
Are we there yet?
1,897 posts

Posted:
pouts: I gotta get me one of those plastic brains... rolleyes

(why am I having flashbacks to a suicidal tendencies song.....)

Kinudin (Soul Fyre)veteran
1,325 posts

Posted:
Aww mike, that's awfully touching biggrin

Love you wink

I started spinning at 13/14 by the way, but you were close hehe and wasn't that a discussion you guys had while I was spinning? About how you give a 6 year old poi, and they will be coming up with stuff that no one will ever even be able to comprehend? Maybe I was just hearing things through the fire. (MAN! I haven't spun fire in a year. That was a rush lol thanks for inviting me!)

When I went to London, I was um. Yeah. Holy sh*t, crap in my pants jealous at the community they have going there. Everyone knew everyone else, they accepted newcommers and they were teaching new spinners moves that I was having trouble to comprehend, and took me about a month of looking at videos to decipher. (Jon, your videos helped very mucho tongue)

Thank yous Mike,
Very flattered

Kinudin

UCOFSILVER Member
15,417 posts

Posted:
is that Jon, me?

whatvideos?

*brain like sieve*

vanizeSILVER Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,899 posts

Posted:
Quote:

yes, but things get boring much faster at that age too. I think if I had learned poi as a child or young teenager, I would have gotten good at it faster, but only gone so far with it. Instead, I started when I was 30 and have stuck with it and think as a result I am far better with poi than I would have been if I picked it up when I was a youngster.

-v-

Wiederstand ist Zwecklos!

Kinudin (Soul Fyre)veteran
1,325 posts

Posted:
Quote:

is that Jon, me?

whatvideos?

*brain like sieve*

Yeh. My dad's sneaky and got videos of almost everyone who spun that day wink also a strange conversation about that strange batman-aliens vs. predetor mix of a fan movie.

Oh! That still reminds me. I need to host that twisty staff thingy we recorded my dad doing. *sigh* To much homework, crazy English teacher.

Kinudin

FabergéGOLD Member
veteran
1,459 posts

Posted:
I picked up poi at 33! Who says you can't teach an old dog new tricks??

I used to think it would have been cool to learn this as a teenager, but like Vanize says, I may not have stuck with it.

I'm quite I glad I have such a beautiful, creative, challenging and most of all fun to learn hobby right now though. I've even taught my mam some moves, and she's 56! cool

My mind not only wanders, it sometimes leaves completely smile

_Aimée_SILVER Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
4,172 posts

Posted:
Quote:

I started at 15

me too biggrin

i8beefy2GOLD Member
addict
674 posts

Posted:
I've only got one thing to say. I learned the correct reverse three beat weave from a 10 year old at a festival.

She was real good too... wink

LyraSILVER Member
spiny norman
314 posts

Posted:
thats crazy, i love child prodigys, but i hate them to,

i saw fire poi first at 13 and started 13/14 i have and will stick with it, even though i dont condiser myself patient, the amazing people ive seen and the knowlage of all the moves out there wont let me quit, i love poi to much to give up on it,

as to six year olds and stuff being fast learners, thats true, but 57 year olds are pretty good too, i brought my stremer poi to a family birthday party and got my aunt to try them, she never once hit herself, and started doing crossovers despite the fact i hadent shown them to her, and all the kids were really good too, it was funny, i spin really fast, and since i was the only spinner they had ever seen they all spun really fast too, hehe>much luv

if you think that our kiss was all in the lips, come on you got it all wrong man, and if you think that our dance was all in the hips then, oh well, do the twist -The White Stripes

duballstarSILVER Member
slack rating - 9.5
2,216 posts

Posted:
Quote:

Lightning, could you please change the thread title? It's a little open to misinterpretation... eek redface

Ditto... i was about to say something along these lines myself! ubblol

started at 19 btw so i guess that made me a teenager....

It is our fantasies that make us real. Without our fantasies we're just a blank monkey' - Terry Pratchett

MikeIconGOLD Member
Pooh-Bah
2,109 posts

Posted:
Started at 19, almost 20 but wish I started a lot earlier. I think Im pretty decent now with only a year under my belt, I cant imagine how good Id be if I started at 15 or earlier. Reguardless of how much better a learner I was at that age.

Let's turn those old bridges we crossed into ashes.
We'll blaze a new trail,
and torch the rough patches.

-Me

Page: