Page:
Peregrinemember
428 posts

Posted:
so, here i am...really bored today, waiting for my computer to do some rendering and of course im wasting RAM on a browser window and I am composing fire twirling haiku...gift of moving firecircles of flame around medragons on the beachnot such a good first one but hey its been a while...what can you come up with?Peregrine

ChloeBRONZE Member
54 posts

Posted:
Hi pere, what is a haiku? I've composed a few fire poems, but not sure what a haiku is.------------------Chloe.-I'm dancing through the fire just to catch a flame- Paul Weller

Chloe.
-I'm dancing through the fire just to catch a flame-
Paul Weller

Peregrinemember
428 posts

Posted:
haiku is a japanese poem type with 5 syllables in the first line, 7 in the second, and 5 in the third.for a really entertaining time, go check out the spam haiku page (which is what made me start)Peregrine

ykaterinaBRONZE Member
107 posts

Posted:
here ya go, pere! grinfire glowing brighttwisted shadows on the snowsalamander's gift smile

tekknogurrlBRONZE Member
90 posts

Posted:
liquid in its gracefiery motion of lifethe earth spins no more.

~K~No matter what you do, one billion Chinese won't care.

bobrobmember
61 posts

Posted:
blimey, getting deep!why dont you chill out a bit?go and do some poi!does that count!?

Tsumimember
32 posts

Posted:
mikakou hinatsu wa umareruutsukushii

Peregrinemember
428 posts

Posted:
went to do some poisleet and ice on the drivewaywhen will summer come?!?!

AnonymousPLATINUM Member

Posted:
miscalculatedmy planes again ouch it hurtsdamn scar ritual

psychomonkeymember
148 posts

Posted:
Chloe- Haiku uses the 757 format, but also has many other rules. First, it must be natural, leaving spam and poi out of the running for subjects. Second there must be a juxtaposition of two things in the poem, Im too lazy to come up with an example of this. The list goes on. If it just has the 575 format, thenit's called Senryu. But, since the rules can't really be applied to english poems, have at it.-PSM

One can only see what one observes, and one observes only things which are already in the mind.-Alphonse Bertillon

adamricepoo-bah
1,015 posts

Posted:
Arrgh...never tried doing this in Japanese, but I feel the gauntlet has been thrown down by Tsumi...here goes:Yoru no tokinakama atsumauhi to asobu------------------Adam Rice :: www.fire-gear.com

Laugh while you can, monkey-boy

Finnmember
341 posts

Posted:
Great thread Peregrine.I'm intrigued... Adam and Tsumi, what do your haiku's mean in English?

adamricepoo-bah
1,015 posts

Posted:
Mine could be translated as:It's evening timea group gathers togetherto frolick with fire(with a little poetic license, to preserve the 575 structure). There's a local group that gets together Thursdays for fire practice, and that's what I was thinking about when I wrote it.------------------Adam Rice :: www.fire-gear.com

Tsumimember
32 posts

Posted:
Let's see...raw, unprocessed firesummer born into the world- very picturesquekeeping it natural. smile two more general rules of haiku are: 1 season word, 1 cutting word as in something describing a season, and something that kind of stops the line of thought and takes it in another direction (didn't do that too well).

ChloeBRONZE Member
54 posts

Posted:
I'm a bit confused.. seems like a mission to compose. I know this isn't the right way but it's what i came up with. grinThe fire moves aroundI'm deeply lost in the flamesand the roaring soundhmm, kinda simple! smilehehe, just read last post.. all wrong. Oh well, will leave it anyway.Chloe[This message has been edited by Chloe (edited 23 February 2001).]

Chloe.
-I'm dancing through the fire just to catch a flame-
Paul Weller

choochmember
8 posts

Posted:
yuki no motoodoru hinoko toyureru tamammm...my english is litte bit bad and this is really japanese expression.though it's difficult to trancelate to english.this haiku can be trancelated two meanings;on the snow(I can see) dancing sparks andmoving fire balls(fire poi)and the other meaning is...on the snowI can see dancing sparks andmy spirit is movingTsimi and Adamrice,are they ok?this is my desire to swing fire poi on the snow.

KatBRONZE Member
Pooh-Bah
2,211 posts

Posted:
Hi ChoochHaru ni naru?@?t‚É‚È‚éSakura no shita de?@?÷‚̉º‚ÅOdorimasho?@—x‚è‚Ü‚µ‚傤Translation (note poetic license) When spring comes to usUnderneath the cherry treesShall you dance with meStill lots of snow if you want to meet and do some fire Poi? I will bring my Poi with me at the weekend just in case.Your English has gotton really good by the way.Kat------------------"London is a city coming down from its trip and there's going to be a lot of refugees" - Danny,Withnail & I

Come faeries, take me out of this dull world, for I would ride with you upon the wind and dance upon the mountains like a flame.

- W B Yeats

adamricepoo-bah
1,015 posts

Posted:
It's cool discovering a little Japan Corner here on HoP. I'll have to look up the members of the Japan contingent next time I'm over there--I may be visiting this summer.------------------Adam Rice

Tsumimember
32 posts

Posted:
I just wanted to say all these poems are wonderful ^_^ it's nice that you all have feelings for twirling!

CAINED-AND-UNABLEmember
214 posts

Posted:
I love the poems people.Have written short-stories and free-verse poetry inspired by poi, fire etc. but fancy trying my hand at a haiku. Could anyone post a list of all the rules so i dont get it completely wrong?cheers loads.Mostley Cained-And-Generally Unable.

sandmanmember
65 posts

Posted:
I'm game...poi tangle abovefalling like leaves in autumnthat's going to hurtor...comet streaks the skya child steps up in wonderget out the damn way!

mikeybmember
93 posts

Posted:
fireballs whirl aboveroaring as they cut the airswifts fly by, watching.or...steel chains chatteringas flames rise up to heaven.chaos and control.mikeyB

SupermanBRONZE Member
829 posts

Posted:
Super' is the man.I like to eat spaghetti.Liz is a Hottie.or my favorite...one two three four five.one two three four five plus two.five four three two one.

Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear--not absence of fear.

- Mark Twain

FireDragonmember
4 posts

Posted:
I know this is a bit off subject here but i think this a good opportunity for me so here goes:i will be coming to japan around september and will be really happy some fire people over there. if anyone is in :icq 125814316except that - really looooooove this thread.

Shine on you crazy diamondPink Floyd

Blackbirdmember
337 posts

Posted:
Deep breath:Behind the back weaveand again a shin is hitvery frustrating---And topical too![heh, the little piece of paper is finally the right smilie to choose! [image]https://www.homeofpoi.com/ubb/images/icons/smile.gif">]------------------[/image] - William ShakespeareCheck out my Online Gallery!ß £ Å Ĉ К ß î я Ð

x X x ß £ Å Ĉ К ß î я Ð x X x

Blackbirdmember
337 posts

Posted:
heehee these are fun...A lightbulb is stuck.So what's the big deal, you say?It's stuck up my nose. tongue

Blackbirdmember
337 posts

Posted:
No one is posting,So what shall I do instead?Write one more haiku!

Blackbirdmember
337 posts

Posted:
Glowsticks or photons,who cares which is the better?Fire will always win!---Ooo controversial one! tongue

Blackbirdmember
337 posts

Posted:
Shortly I go tothe Volcano Festival!I can hardly wait!---I get up quite soon,with only six hours of sleep!Long day tomorrow...---Man I love these things... this thread is going to be around a Loooong time smileThe joy of haiku;who knew, so much from so little!Many more to come!Ok I'll shut up,for tonight at least, alright?Can't please some people...

Blackbirdmember
337 posts

Posted:
Still laughing out loud,laughing not even to jokes,but happy anyway grin[This message has been edited by Blackbird (edited 11 August 2001).]

plastikgirlmember
41 posts

Posted:
heheheeeeee I LOVE this thread!!!!!** applause ** to all of you!!!!I know some really funny haikus in portuguese (which is my mother language) but if translated they're not that funny. And, is haiku the plural for haikai? Cause around here they're called hai-kai!Anyway, I love yours!!!! smile------------------"Lady bug lady bug, fly away home. Your house is on fire, and your children will burn! Ashes, ashes, all fall down!!

Lady bug lady bug, fly away home. Your house is on fire, and your children will burn! Ashes, ashes, all fall down!!

Page: