ataxiaSILVER Member
172 posts

Posted:
I've been playing for the last 6 years. I was up to third best in Australia but now i'm kicking less and twirling much more. If you've got any questions/queries, i'd be happy to answer.

Geez, I'd give my right arm to be ambidextrous.

vanizeSILVER Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,899 posts

Posted:
yeah, actually - you ever made a fire hacky? I've been thinking about that for a while now...

-v-

Wiederstand ist Zwecklos!

KnoxiousGOLD Member
420 posts

Posted:
I was wondering when someone was going to ask about these little Balls Of Doom ubblol
Yeah I had one a few years ago....possibly the MOST dangerous (and yet most fun tongue ) fire toy I have ever used. Try tracking a flaming fireball and kicking it with the precision needed to give a perfect pass or self etc...
My biggest mistake was going for a header (ouchie) and always playing a bit pissed (and before anyone tries to have a go - this was years and years ago)
Bloopers included:
1) The aftformentioned header
2) The shoe on fire incident
3) The over the fence and next to the neighbours garage incident
4) The once-in-a-lifetime shot into the bucket of kero, which my mate was sitting next to, which was under a big tree, which was right next to our nice ol' wooden house... upshot was a big fireball and then nothing! (aaaah! sweet kero and low flashpoint etc...)....o yes and some soiled underwae....

shortly after #4 the hack got lost in undergrowth (unlit) and y'know....we didn't bother to go look for it...

The End
smile

[Nx?]BRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,749 posts

Posted:
man, hack is the best team game in the world!!!

cos theres only one team!

im terrible, any tips for the begginers?

got a bit of sideways and a toe punt, but not much else. what do you do to practice on your own?

T wave

This is a post by tom, all spelling is deleberate
-><- Kallisti

thorFlaming Lesbian
181 posts

Posted:
and any tips for the `holy crap my knee kinda hurts but i don't remember doing anything yesterday` pain the next morning?

Lights dancing off my skin as chains wrap round it.
Pain is in a little box and I'm so glad I found it.

AchluophobiaBRONZE Member
Magical Sock Dancer
255 posts

Posted:
Know any cool free videos of it?
I use to play with one a lot.

Rouge DragonBRONZE Member
Insert Champagne Here
13,215 posts

Posted:
my friends like to play it at school...until we lost about 5 hackys on the roof....id usually play with them, however winter uniform when i go back to school means virtually no movement with my legs mad

i would have changed ***** to phallus, and claire to petey Petey

Rougie: but that's what I'm doing here
Arnwyn: what letting me adjust myself in your room?..don't you dare quote that on HoP...

DurbsBRONZE Member
Classically British
5,689 posts

Posted:
I'm quite a fan of the John Smiths " ' AVE IT!" style wink

Burner of Toast
Spinner of poi
Slacker of enormous magnitude

Drakienmember
49 posts

Posted:
Quote:

I'm quite a fan of the John Smiths " ' AVE IT!" style wink

biggrin me too. Hacky sack seems to go hand-in-hand with Ultimate Frisbee, so you'd think I'd be at least, y'know, not embarassing at it, having been chasing plastic for four years...

Delays are nice, as are "back-of-the-knee" catches.

And hacky may be the one saving grace of the film "She's All That..."

Apart from Rachel Leigh Cook, natch. wink

J

Posh ravers wear ties.

ataxiaSILVER Member
172 posts

Posted:
I've kicked with a fire hacky about 6 times. It's hard to start off with because you're looking at the fire trail instead of the bag. You do need good kicking skills though. I've been in an 8 person circle which obtained a 'hack' (eg kicked by everyone.)
I had a friend who could do stalls, and simple dexterity moves like around the world and mirage with a fire hack. I've done a flying clipper (jester) 4 times in a row with a fire hack.
Stalling it behind your neck, or knee is a no no.

** Just for knowledge, the sport is called footbag *not* hacky-sac. A hackysac is actually a brand of footbag, as is frisbee to flying disc and hoover is to a vacuum cleaner.

If you want see some free videos check out the best in Australia by going to www.ausfootbag.org and into the media section.

Be warned it's nothing like hack.

If your not scared or confused by the above videos, and want to see the best footbag player in the world, in the best video check out this link:
https://www.footbag.org/gallery/showset/Dexter
and check out the bila lavice video.
This video is crazy.

Rouge DragonBRONZE Member
Insert Champagne Here
13,215 posts

Posted:
hacky sac is a brand? then hoe come the ones from guatemala etc are called hackies? aw well!

and also - frisbee is a brand? man! im missing out!

sorry footbag, but they're still hackies and frisbees to me (cant change how many years of calling them that! ignorance was bliss!...made me feel less ignorant tongue)

i would have changed ***** to phallus, and claire to petey Petey

Rougie: but that's what I'm doing here
Arnwyn: what letting me adjust myself in your room?..don't you dare quote that on HoP...

ataxiaSILVER Member
172 posts

Posted:
The ones from guatemala and others like it are called crocheted footbags. It doesn't really matter what you call them however. If your even semi interested in getting better I would advise not to kick with these bags. The are heavy, non circular, and too hard. But they're cheap, so it's OK to lose them.

Puck Dallasmember
23 posts

Posted:
I made one and have been playing with it a few months but it has a pretty major flaw. I made it with chainmail which gave it an awesome weight but the only problem is do not stall it on uncovered flesh or you end up with a brazed chain mail patern on your body. I like playing with it but there has to be a better way. I am thinking of putting my knowting and macrame skills to work and possibly try knitting a kevlar hack. What was the fire hack you were using made out of if I may be so bold.
EDITED_BY: Puck Dallas (1083082551)

KnoxiousGOLD Member
420 posts

Posted:
mine was made from kevlar....like a regular hackie, but kevlar....

duballstarSILVER Member
slack rating - 9.5
2,216 posts

Posted:
i just want to be able to stall one of my juggling balls nicely on my foot and kick it up again BUT it always seems to bounce no matter how well i try and cushion it... frown

It is our fantasies that make us real. Without our fantasies we're just a blank monkey' - Terry Pratchett

ataxiaSILVER Member
172 posts

Posted:
Mine too was made out of Kevlar. It has hard rock (volcanic?) filling.
The trick to stalling juggling balls is either have soft juggling balls (or even those bag types) or be really bloody good.
I've done a double around the world with a tennis ball once, but it took me quite a while to seal the stall at the end.

Mr MajestikSILVER Member
coming to a country near you
4,696 posts

Posted:
(what an old thread, still, its titled footbag not hackie so its cool with me)

third in aust. ataxia? thats cool, i'm friends with jeremy who's disputable the best in australia atm. did you go to the Aus champs a few weeks ago? he was one of the judges.

props to footbag!

"but have you considered there is more to life than your eyelids?"

jointly owned by Fire_Spinning_Angel and Blu_Valley

Twisthem488member
187 posts

Posted:
I find most people dont do it right when they try. You have to remember to bring your foot down with the bag.

3'rd is dope. Just watched the footbag stuff on the book of cool. I didnt even know all that was possible. I ussually just kick it around with some small stalls nothing even near fancy. Although im getting a lot of kids into it*laughs maniacly* yes, after footbag they will become addicted to cj and poi and fire, yes yes yeeeees. ubbloco

Im a Thespian, But I'll Act Normal Around You Guys

effexmember
32 posts

Posted:
when i was growing up we used to call the game 'no bounce' and then it advanced to 'one touch' and 'killer' and etc. There was a brand on the market I still see around filled with beans or sand like a little beanbag. I would never try it with fire cause it is my favourite form of testing flying kicks in combo with speed, and I would be very tempted. Pheraps if I tried that thing, what was it called; ......self control?!

game brings back the best part of my youth

edit: forgot to mention in Africa they use a box of matches. it is amazing to watch the skill specially when a box is not as easy as a ball.
EDITED_BY: effex (1139003351)

smile and people will wonder what yr up to.

Mr MajestikSILVER Member
4,696 posts

Posted:
a box of matches? as a footbag? i though in africa(generally) they used small woven balls made of dried reeds or something

Mascotenthusiast
301 posts

Posted:
Okay

I bought 5 footbags at the Bristol Juggling Convention
I've lost all but one so just bought another 3. A friend of mine said that footbag has "a sort of jerky, acquired aesthetic" which I'm pretty sure meant he didn't like the look of the discipline. A display of skill definitely but not a pretty one to watch.

Does anyone do, or know anything about, multi-footbag moves. I've been working on 3 footbag moves mainly. I like the multi-footbag stuff much more than the single footbag stuff.

Multifootbags anyone?

Walls may have ears but they don't have eyes

Mr MajestikSILVER Member
4,696 posts

Posted:
umm

what do you mean by multi footbag stuff? you mean juggling? (with your feet as opposed to your hands?)

and your friend couldnt be more wrong, pro freestyle footbaggers look smooth and fluent as, you've just got to watch the footbag and not the jumping wink

Twisthem488member
187 posts

Posted:
They sure do. yoyoguy.com just send me a catalogue with a duncan cd in it. its a flash file got some video of their team along with tutorials and stuff. I uploaded as a winzip file to
https://www.yourfilehost.com/media.php?cat=other&file=footbag.zip
in case anyone wanted to look at it. I dont thnik there will be any problems with copyrights or such seeing as it was done as a promotional item.

Im a Thespian, But I'll Act Normal Around You Guys

ataxiaSILVER Member
172 posts

Posted:
I've not heard of any good freestyle footbag players from England. So that's why it doesn't look good. (sorry to those english footbag players that I haven't heard of) Pro freestyle as Mr Majestik pointed out is very fluent. The really good guys are perhaps too good, and the flurry of legs can overshadow how good some moves look.
Check out all the movies on footbag.org
Two bag juggling on one foot is pretty common. 2 bag juggling on opposite feet (column style) is also relatively easy. 3 bag juggling switching feet is much harder. The best I've seen is 2 bags with one foot then switching to the other foot, all this with 4 balls hand juggling at the same time.

Mascotenthusiast
301 posts

Posted:
thats the sort of thing

I'm working on 2 on one foot, and a lot of combination tricks. Essentially adding footcatches and some other stalls into juggling.

Walls may have ears but they don't have eyes