Perceptionmember
5 posts

Posted:
Is somebody able to better explain woody's lesson 3 to me? Looking at it as it is on the screen doesn't make much sense to me - I think its just because of the animation being a bit shuddery?
Also - just spinning in a circle in front of the body (like a windmill might look like), is there a right or wrong way to do it, beacause on the animation on here, the person's hands are crossed over nearly all the time, but when I do it they uncross (I don't think my arm will spin 360 degrees!) still gives fluid spinning, but not sure?
Cheers! frown

simian110% MONKEY EVERY TIME ALL THE TIME JUST CANT STOP THE MONKEY
3,149 posts

Posted:
Yeah, the figure eight lesson is a little bit funny. It shows a figure eight either side of the arm, rather than either side of the arm AND body. Not 'wrong' but definitely not something to try with a five foot stick eek

Umm, see if this helps. This is my really brief guide to figure eights and doublespins, but spinning to your side (wall plane) rather than in front of you (wheel plane).

(Wall plane makes it easier not to hit yourself, and gives you more places to spin the staff than standing in wheel plane)

Quote:

Figure 8

Begin in normal position:
arm stretched straight out to your side, slightly to the front OR the rear of the body AND arm, with thumb pointing up.
We twist the staff 180° so the thumb is pointing down.

At this point the staff should cross from the rear of your body and arm to the front, or vice versa.

The staff untwists 180° and is now back in the normal position but is now on the other side of your body.

So the staff has spun 360° (one full rotation) at this point, and you are back in the normal position.

That's one side of the figure eight, repeat once more to perform a "full" figure eight.

Doublespins

Doublespins add an extra 180° twist into the pattern. There are four different doublespins: Low Forward, High Forward, Low Backward and High Backward. They all feel quite different. The list is in order of the one i found easiest to the one i found hardest.

NOTE TO THE EASILY DISCOURAGED: Often when first learning doublespins, they can seem almost impossible to get smooth and flowing. Thats because the timing must be far more exact than other things you're likely to have learnt yet. Rest assured that practice does pay off, and soon they'll be as easy as the figure eight.

The following applies to all four doublespins:

Begin at the rear of your body for Low Forward or High Backward doublespins.
Begin at the front for High Forward or Low Backward doublespins.

Spin the staff 180° in the appropriate direction (forward or backward)

Now you get another 180° before switching to the other side of the body.

This is acheived with twisting of the wrist and arm.
(That's all the detail i'm going into for now, for the sake of simplification. If anyone wants more details, ask )

Notice that the Low Doublespins go underneath your shoulder, around your hip, when switching side, and the High Doublespins go above the shoulder straight past the head.

After switching side, the staff has spun 360° from normal, and is thus twisted up 360° degrees.

Untwist all of that to return to the normal position. Untwisting is much easier than twisting

So the staff has spun 720° (two full rotations) from normal to normal. Thats a full doublespin.

An interesting thing about doublespins is that they rotate 180° down the length of the staff whenever you are switching side, due to the way your wrist is twisted. This is practically unnoticeable if your staff has rotational symmetry down it's length, which almost all staffs do.

ok, your other question: how to spin the staff in front of you with handswaps
(i think it's called a pinwheel, but i may be wrong)
anyway i don't do that, so i can't really answer.
but i would say that there isn't a right or wrong way to do anything with a staff. Also, if it feels good then it probably looks good.

any help? smile

"Switching between different kinds of chuu chuu sometimes gives this "urgh wtf?" effect because it's giving people the phi phenomenon."

[Nx?]BRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,749 posts

Posted:
yo,

its another tecnique, you get the sattf to spin the extra bit by letting it roll over your thumb. Its usefull to be able to do, but not nececary, I never really do it for keeping the staff infront (but then again, i dont really do that anymore full stop ubblol )

They are all techniques, and i recomend you learn all of then to the point they are realtivly clean, but when spinning just use what you feel comfortable with, as the monkey says, there is no 'wrong' way to do it, just diffrent ways.

T wave

This is a post by tom, all spelling is deleberate
-><- Kallisti

DurbsBRONZE Member
Classically British
5,689 posts

Posted:
The reason for crossing your hands over and doing the "thumb pass" as Nx? describes above is to prevent your hands "walking" up the staff - by passing it thumb-to-thumb it keeps the staff nice and central...

I think.

Burner of Toast
Spinner of poi
Slacker of enormous magnitude

movax420BRONZE Member
1 post

Posted:
Hi there!

You guys are making me so confused that I have to unlurk... are you happy now? smile

Quote:

ok, your other question: how to spin the staff in front of you with handswaps
(i think it's called a pinwheel, but i may be wrong) anyway i don't do that, so i can't really answer.

Quote:

its another tecnique, you get the sattf to spin the extra bit by letting it roll over your thumb. Its usefull to be able to do, but not nececary, I never really do it for keeping the staff infront (but then again, i dont really do that anymore full stop )

You don't do that?! I don't get it... isn't this one of the most basic moves from which most other moves start? Is it even possible to pick up a staff without automagically starting to do this? Please explain... smile

Also, simian, I would love to get some more details about that twist to get another 180 degrees of rotation... sounds really cool.

Thanks biggrin

simian110% MONKEY EVERY TIME ALL THE TIME JUST CANT STOP THE MONKEY
3,149 posts

Posted:
movax:
Quote:

isn't this one of the most basic moves from which most other moves start? Is it even possible to pick up a staff without automagically starting to do this? Please explain...

i never ever ever do the 'pinwheel'. i never learnt it, i'll never bother to learn biggrin

the way i look at it, the 'basic move that other moves start from' is figure eight smile

"Switching between different kinds of chuu chuu sometimes gives this "urgh wtf?" effect because it's giving people the phi phenomenon."

mcpPLATINUM Member
Flying Water Muppet
5,276 posts

Posted:
Yeah I used to feel that both my hands had an equal share in moves. Nowadays, I do everything with one hand, then when my other hand feels left out, I pass it, using a complicated contact transition. (All my contact moves are actually transitions unlurking ) biggrin

kiss - why does this simley stick it's tongue out before kissing you?

"the now legendary" - Kaskade
"the still legendary" - Kaskade

I spunked in my friend's aquarium and the fish ate it. I love all fish. Especially the pink ones. They are my bitches. - Anon.