Forums > Technical Discussion > Renegade Blaze Balls vs HOP Monkey Fists?

Login/Join to Participate

thorFlaming Lesbian
181 posts

Posted:
Renegade Juggling has massive 4-inch monkeyfist heads they call `blaze balls`. They're $70/pair, so they're $20 more than HOP's 2.5" monkeyfists, but I was wondering if anyone had used them and could help me decide between them.

I'm just a noob, but I'm all for big fire =]

Lights dancing off my skin as chains wrap round it.
Pain is in a little box and I'm so glad I found it.

MikeIconGOLD Member
Pooh-Bah
2,109 posts

Posted:
HoP used to sell large monkey fists. They were really big and heavy. Nice Im sure but heavy.

Let's turn those old bridges we crossed into ashes.
We'll blaze a new trail,
and torch the rough patches.

-Me

[Nx?]BRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,749 posts

Posted:
really really heavy,

i like heavy poi, but thease were too much, the only person who really liked them was bov, and hes mental! ubbloco

T wave

This is a post by tom, all spelling is deleberate
-><- Kallisti

musashiistarring Skippy the green llama
1,148 posts

Posted:
sounds fun wink, tho I bet adam rices monster wix burn longer, for less the weight ..cathedrals jes have more surface area..diff airflo on the monekyfists, like it better meself
EDITED_BY: musashii (1080292399)

First intention, then enlightenment..
Ars Pyronomica

" Life is programmed. Whether death is programmed or not is yet to be determined."

darkpoetBRONZE Member
Irish
525 posts

Posted:
Quote:

not to be bashing or whatnot, but if your a noob you really shouldnt be using monkies in the first place, start with something like cathedrals then move up
you wont have the strength to spin the wicks out and could really endanger yourself or somebody else
mokyfists turn into endurance tests when spinnin esp the big ones

Jesus saves sinners and redeems them for cash and
prizes

Co-Founder of Keepers of Light

Educate yourself about the Hazards of Fire Breathing STAY SAFE!

adamricepoo-bah
1,015 posts

Posted:
I agree with the sentiment that newbies should start out with something manageable, but I that doesn't exclude any particular wick design. You can make a small monkey-fist or a big cathedral wick.

Laugh while you can, monkey-boy

MillenniuMPLATINUM Member
Hyperloops suck
595 posts

Posted:
Quote:

Quote:

not to be bashing or whatnot, but if your a noob you really shouldnt be using monkies in the first place, start with something like cathedrals then move up
you wont have the strength to spin the wicks out and could really endanger yourself or somebody else
mokyfists turn into endurance tests when spinnin esp the big ones

Erm, since when does strength go hand in hand with fire spinning experience? I'm quite experienced but I still have the endurance of a sloth. I spin monkey fists with no problem.

vanizeSILVER Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,899 posts

Posted:
with heavy wicks, you are far more likely to develop problems like tendonitis in your wrists or burcitis in your shoulders - especially if you are a newbie practicing a lot and still flailing around more than someone who has their movements more refined.

-v-

Wiederstand ist Zwecklos!

darkpoetBRONZE Member
Irish
525 posts

Posted:
Quote:

with heavy wicks, you are far more likely to develop problems like tendonitis in your wrists or burcitis in your shoulders - especially if you are a newbie practicing a lot and still flailing around more than someone who has their movements more refined.

exactly!
most people get wicks that are just to heavy for them and you can see it when they spin, it looks almost like their body is thrown by the wicks and so they overcompensate
those big monkies are quite heavy and if you cant spin out the wicks you really shouldnt be using them, like most things you have to build up your endurance and strength
now, on the strength topic
if you hand some beaming poi to somebody whom the heaviest thing that theyve ever spun is glowsticks you can see the differences in their style and they lose control very easily
strength can be a VERY big issue while spinning

prizes

MikeIconGOLD Member
Pooh-Bah
2,109 posts

Posted:
True that... But theres no better way to raise your strength and endurance than by using heavy poi. Im very thin and weak but I managed to go from shoelaces with glowsticks to beamers as my first real set of poi. Sure, they were too heavy for me during the first week or two but I got used to it and built up some strength and now I cant spin with anything lighter.

I think it actually made me an overall better spinner to be honest. And I sure as hell learnt how not to hit myself using those beamers.

Let's turn those old bridges we crossed into ashes.
We'll blaze a new trail,
and torch the rough patches.

-Me

darkpoetBRONZE Member
Irish
525 posts

Posted:
*makes reference to the 6month injury involving beamers and not having feeling from the elbow to the tips of ring and pinky fingers....entire left side of me arm was numb..i dont use beamers anymore i gave mine away...meteors get going to fast with beamers its deadly....ive gotten a concussion from those before.....but yeah....going from the HOP meteors back to monkies the monkies feel like glowsticks...and ive been spinning an iron pipe about 5 feet long for staff practice........but yeah

prizes

Big AndyBRONZE Member
186 posts

Posted:
I'm gonna have to agree with Icon that heavy poi not only helps build your endurance/strength for poi, but works out your upper body in general. Since graduating from rav'ns/glowsticks on shoestrings to spinning fire, I have burned fat AND built muscle on my arms, chest, back, ab's, shoulders, and sides. To the point that I'm finding really heavy things to swing around just as a workout technique. I can't seem to make myself go to the gym (can't afford it either), but by swinging heavy poi with some music on, I get a a good cardio workout as well as a muscle building workout. I was in a habit of doing that every day for a while, I need to pick it back up.

Of course, that doesn't mean everyone should go buy huge monkey fists to try to get built, lol. But they do have their place, and they do look really neat when lit. Noobs should definately not rush out and buy big wicks, but if you want heavier poi, and are willing to build some muscle and practice to do it, than go for it. Just don't expect it to be the same, then you are just asking to hurt yourself IMO.

"We can't stop here! This is bat country!"

"Welcome to the U-S-A,
We'll treat you right, unless you're black or gay, or Cherokeeeeee!!"

-Brian Griffin from "Family Guy" (the dog)

DeepSoulSheepGOLD Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
2,617 posts

Posted:
Only slightly off topic. If you were into using heavier poi for the sake of impoved technique and perhaps improved physical conditioning, I'd suggest that swinging clubs are supperior in both cases IMHO ubbangel

If your intention was purely physical, you can buy cheap plastic ones and but sand in them....

It was good enough physical exercise years ago... smile

I live in a world of infinite possibilities.