Forums > Social Chat > a matter of contention...

Login/Join to Participate
Page:
Kapura MataaroHoP resident longboarder.
195 posts

Posted:
flynt and i, kapura mataaro have offically decreed that vinager on hot chips is urk and we were then told we were not right about it...EVIL thats what it is... ubbtickled and i think it is time that we BANI-SHED the evil poison affecting our damn hot chips... rolleyes ubbloco so if your interested i am proposing that all H.O.P. meeting be vinager free and that we set up a anti-vinager council to halt its spread...whaddya think? eek biggrin

"surely a longboarding fire spinner should have no trouble getting some action!"- NYC....

vanizeSILVER Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,899 posts

Posted:
do you like ketchup on chips? Because ketchup has a lot of vinegar in it you know...

-v-

Wiederstand ist Zwecklos!

Kitveteran
1,269 posts

Posted:
no!! that is dictator ship! each to there own!
i personally have a stron dislike ok i DETEST mayonaisse (i cant even spell it)
but i dont throw it up and try and get i banned!

leave our vinegar be!!

random murbles

BELTANE FIRE FESTIVAL. 30th april ~ Calton hill - Edinburgh
SAMHUINN FESTIVAL. 31st October ~ Royal Mile - Edinburgh

DeepSoulSheepGOLD Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
2,617 posts

Posted:
eek eek eek eek eek eek eek

Oh me oh my I think your serious umm

I live in a world of infinite possibilities.

DuncGOLD Member
playing the days away
7,263 posts

Posted:
No WAY KIT!! Mayo is the king of kings for chippies!! And I'll be bringing some to Troon next week but don't worry, you won't have to eat it!!

As for vinegar...erm.....I'm kinda indifferent. But I don't use salt I use Aromat which is mucho nicer but doesn't bode well with chips. If there was an outright ban tho I'd have to save the malt stuff....but the clear stuff can dissapear forever for all I care!!

Let's relight this forum ubblove

SpitFireGOLD Member
Mand's Girl....and The Not So Shy One
2,723 posts

Posted:
ketchup I can handle.

vinager seemed very odd to me when I was in the UK in January....but to each their own.

Let me have my ketchup and the vinager folks can keep their vinager.

And vanize? Ketchup may well have lots of vinager in it, but it's also got lots of tomato type stuff. biggrin

Solitude sometimes speaks to you, and you should listen.

vanizeSILVER Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,899 posts

Posted:
if you ban vinegar though, then ketchup must therefor go as well since it has vinegar in it - so all you'll be allowed is tomato paste on your fries!

-v-

spritieSILVER Member
Pooh-Bah
2,014 posts

Posted:
Personally, I think they should do away with all ketchup, mayo, mustard (hasn't been mentioned yet, but it's just as bad), and I guess vinegar now too on stuff.

I don't mean places shouldn't provide these oddities, but they shouldn't mandatorily put them on hamburgers or fries (chips). I can't stand any of them, and it's a good chunk of the reason I refuse to eat at fast food places. It takes forever for them to make a burger without ketchup or some other nasty on it, and then when they do, they usually screw something else up with it as well. So bluck to them all!!!

KatBRONZE Member
Pooh-Bah
2,211 posts

Posted:
Sacrilage! spank If my chips don't float there's not enough vinegar.

Extra vinegar please tongue

Come faeries, take me out of this dull world, for I would ride with you upon the wind and dance upon the mountains like a flame.

- W B Yeats

SpitFireGOLD Member
2,723 posts

Posted:
Ah Yes, wise vanize, though, as I said, to each their own. Folks who want vinager should have access to it, and those of us who want ketchup (or catsup? or catchup?) should have access to that as well.

Ok...so...is it nap time yet?

*collapses* ZzzzzZzzzzZZzzzz

DuncGOLD Member
playing the days away
7,263 posts

Posted:
what is this catsup stuff I hear about?? Is it a different type?? confused

vanizeSILVER Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,899 posts

Posted:
ketchup=catsup=anything that sounds similar. It is all tomato paste (hopefully), vinegar, sugar and salt (sometimes no salt). the only real variations are the quality of the tomato paste and how much sugar or salt is used. For example, ketchup in south africa usually used more sugar and typically no salt - which I didn't care for much.

-v-

SpitFireGOLD Member
2,723 posts

Posted:
as far as I can tell, no. To be honest, I've not seen it called that in a while, but some folks call ketchup catsup and I have no clue why.

Mind you, Ketchup is an odd name considering it's tomato and vinager. Why not Vintom or tomvin or tomger or vinato?

vanizeSILVER Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,899 posts

Posted:
ketchup
SYLLABICATION: ketch·up
PRONUNCIATION: AUDIO: kchp, kch- KEY
VARIANT FORMS: also catch·up (AUDIO: kchp, kch-) cat·sup (AUDIO: ktsp, AUDIO: kchp, kch-)
NOUN: A condiment consisting of a thick, smooth-textured, spicy sauce usually made from tomatoes.
ETYMOLOGY: Probably Malay kicap, fish sauce, possibly from Chinese (Cantonese) k-chap, equivalent to Chinese (Mandarin) qié, eggplant + Chinese (Mandarin) zh, sap, gravy.
WORD HISTORY: The word ketchup exemplifies the types of modifications that can take place in borrowing—both of words and substances. The source of our word ketchup may be the Malay word kchap, possibly taken into Malay from the Cantonese dialect of Chinese. Kchap, like ketchup, was a sauce, but one without tomatoes; rather, it contained fish brine, herbs, and spices. Sailors seem to have brought the sauce to Europe, where it was made with locally available ingredients such as the juice of mushrooms or walnuts. At some unknown point, when the juice of tomatoes was first used, ketchup as we know it was born. But it is important to realize that in the 18th and 19th centuries ketchup was a generic term for sauces whose only common ingredient was vinegar. The word is first recorded in English in 1690 in the form catchup, in 1711 in the form ketchup, and in 1730 in the form catsup. All three spelling variants of this foreign borrowing remain current.

-v-

vanizeSILVER Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,899 posts

Posted:
Note the importance of vinegar in the above post!

-v-

MikeGinnyGOLD Member
HOP Mad Doctor
13,925 posts

Posted:
Fries (or "chips" as you silly Brits call them) aren't really fries without the ketchup. It's like apple pie without apples or pizza without cheese. It's just... wrong.

-Mike

Certified Mad Doctor and HoP High Priest of Nutella

A buckuht n a hooze! -Valura

DuncGOLD Member
playing the days away
7,263 posts

Posted:
eugh chips with Ketchup is rather rank. Big Up the mayo!! You've seen Pulp Fiction...you know it makes sense! wink

Kitveteran
1,269 posts

Posted:
i havent seen pulp fiction ACtually

and those kenting people put mayo in the ketchup!

ewwwwwwwww

random murbles

BELTANE FIRE FESTIVAL. 30th april ~ Calton hill - Edinburgh
SAMHUINN FESTIVAL. 31st October ~ Royal Mile - Edinburgh

vanizeSILVER Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,899 posts

Posted:
watching people eat fries with mayo actually makes me wanna puke. It is mayo that we should be banning!!!

so if something is in pulp fiction it makes sense? Sorry, but I don't get your logic on that one...

Besides, ketchup and vinegar are fat free, unlike mayo (so what if the fries are dripping with fry vat lard anyway!)

-v-

DeepSoulSheepGOLD Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
2,617 posts

Posted:
Heinz brought out a limited edition green ketchup a year or 2. My impulsive house mate bought it one day. Wierd, it tasted exactly the same but looked disgusting. Beside being dark green it had this bizarre shine off it like high gloss paint or somthing :sicksmiley:

proof...
Non-Https Image Link

I live in a world of infinite possibilities.

spritieSILVER Member
Pooh-Bah
2,014 posts

Posted:
It was also produced in purple. Their marketing ploy was that kids would like the cool new colors and want to have some of it. It didn't exactly sell well even in the states. I've also seen blue and green squeezable butter marketed along those same lines - still yuck!

[Nx?]BRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,749 posts

Posted:
<------ has been known to drink malt vinigar

pizza without cheeze? i think youll find there is plenty of types of pizza without cheeze. In rome recently i discovered pizza with potato, and no tomato! it was yum. tho it could have done with some vinigar.

T wave

This is a post by tom, all spelling is deleberate
-><- Kallisti

pounceSILVER Member
All the neurotic makings of America's lesser known sweetheart
9,831 posts

Posted:
um, plain or with ranch only. thank you. biggrin

I was always scared with my mother's obsession with the good scissors. It made me wonder if there were evil scissors lurking in the house somewhere.

Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons for you are crunchy and good with ketchup.

**giggles**

mcpPLATINUM Member
Flying Water Muppet
5,276 posts

Posted:
<---- been known to eat the pickled onions then sup the picklin' vinegar.

My god, and I thought I was picky! You can beat curly fries, softened up a bit with vinegar, then with squirts of the following around: Brown Sauce, Ketchup, Majonaise, English Mustard, or alternatively all of the above, mixed in together. Then you could have salt and sauce instead of those. Or even better butter some bread, then put the chips on and sprinkle vinegar over the whole lot, leaving you with a warm, moist chip butty.... Hmmmm. ubbloco

Going to India didn't do nothing to my stomach! Honest!

"the now legendary" - Kaskade
"the still legendary" - Kaskade

I spunked in my friend's aquarium and the fish ate it. I love all fish. Especially the pink ones. They are my bitches. - Anon.

_Aime_SILVER Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
4,172 posts

Posted:
I drunk a shot glass full of viniger as a dare once biggrin
Mayo is discusting. My mum puts it on chips....*puke*
I had the purple ketchup once! It tasted the same put made a chip butty look rather disturbing......
You can't beat chips with a lil bit of salt and viniger on 'em. I didn't realise you could use viniger for anything else part from pickled eggs confused

oliSILVER Member
not with cactus
2,052 posts

Posted:
im a mayonaise man myself...

or mustard smile

i dont like salt or vinegar on chips, vinegar is yaky, and salt makes me want to drink..
i hate tomato ketchup, tastes so synthetic... i love my mums home made tomato sauce though, thats yummy smile

oo, and i like vinegar with oil, on salad (or what ever)
peace

Me train running low on soul coal
They push+pull tactics are driving me loco
They shouldn't do that no no no

FlyntSILVER Member
Intrepid Penguin
5,635 posts

Posted:
Quote:

Note the importance of vinegar in the above post!

and here's where it all comes crashing down...

Vanize dear, we live in Australia. We dont eat horrible KETCHUP.

We eat tomato sauce.

Which doesnt have vinegar in it

Because vinegar is evil.

It makes people screw up their faces, which while at first is just amusing, in long term affects, quite distressing.

It also makes the chips soggy and completely unappealing to the eater.

hence, I put my vote on the NON vinegar side of this arguement!

Thankyou for your time, thankyou thankyou.

No... thankyou!

Currently on the right side up of the world.

RoziSILVER Member
100 characters max...
2,996 posts

Posted:
For a long while when I was a kid, my dad used to put extra vinegar in the ketchup bottle. He spoilt it for everyone!!!

It was a day for screaming at inanimate objects.

What this calls for is a special mix of psychology and extreme violence...

Konstilovable smart-ass
785 posts

Posted:
Nothing, i repeat NOTHING is better on chips than mayo mixed with currysauce (the dutch kind).......

i rest my case.
wave

"is optimism in austria just a lack of information?"
-Alfred Dorfer

mrFlibbleSILVER Member
Ghostbuster
455 posts

Posted:
mayo is unbelievably horrible and induced instant violent puking.
ketchup is almost as bad.

vinegar is nice smile

oliSILVER Member
not with cactus
2,052 posts

Posted:
Quote:

Nothing, i repeat NOTHING is better on chips than mayo mixed with currysauce (the dutch kind).......

i rest my case.
wave

and cheese and beens ... ubblove

Me train running low on soul coal
They push+pull tactics are driving me loco
They shouldn't do that no no no

Page: