flamingfrogmember
19 posts

Posted:
I have been trying to make a flaming morning star - basically a short club/staff, with a wick on one end. Coming out of that end a chain with a poi head attached. So basically like one of those old-skool orc-bashing morning stars, AKA a club/poi combo. Had a go last night with a poi tied to a devilstick, and seemed to work okay - a little bit like poi, a littl bit like staff.....someone else out there MUST have tried this sorta thing before, any hints/tips on construction/moves?
EDITED_BY: flamingfrog (1080794224)

A paradise found is a paradise lost
-E.O. Wilson

My father had a profound influence on me. He was a lunatic
-Spike Milligan

flamingfrogmember
19 posts

Posted:
For that matter - I think when I make it I might try maybe a monkey fist on a kevlar rope rather than a poi, so's i could get a whole plane of fire...

-E.O. Wilson

-Spike Milligan

PheonnexxBRONZE Member
89 posts

Posted:
Now that sounds like an idea...Get some pictures to let us know how it goes smile

Burn !

flamingfrogmember
19 posts

Posted:
Ah man
I made the toy on monday with just a regular poi head and had a burn
Wicked fun - now just have to get my A into G and make a monkey-fist for it
The good news is the heads will be interchangeable so's I can put on a big lead knobbly skull-spliitin' head for all those drunks who come up "Can I have a go, I'm real good, even though i can't walk straight"
How do you post pics?

-E.O. Wilson

-Spike Milligan

DurbsBRONZE Member
Classically British
5,689 posts

Posted:
Just out of curiosity what moves do you do with it?
I can imagine the poi head flailing (no pun intended) about in a fairly uncontrollable way.
Were you thinking more weapon-formy kind of stuff - or dancey-poi/stuff ?

Burner of Toast
Spinner of poi
Slacker of enormous magnitude

Dragon7GOLD Member
addict
625 posts

Posted:
I was imagining a big ball of steel fire with like spikes and studs on a solid chain and ... wink biggrin

What ever your into... tongue

Though i think you would be able to do some serious moves with it (if it is just like poi), maybe a hybred between poi and chucks? Where did i put that hacksaw... confused

Hey wouldn't it be cool to make it extendable so you could change the length of chain, and variate it.

flamingfrogmember
19 posts

Posted:
The poi head doesn't spin all spastic - if you roll your wrist a bit it spins just like a poi.

What moves can you do? - well understand first off I am no poi expert! But a lot of poi moves can be done - in fact it can be used with a poi in the other hand to do weaves/reels and stuff no worries (tried this last night). But also you can do a few staffy-things, like behind the back passing, pinwheel thingies up behind back etc. I don't know any weapon forms (definitely a flaw in the NZ education system), so mostly just poi-ey danc-ey stuff...have a mate htough who is pretty handy with nunchucks so I reckon i will have to ask him some hints.....

I am working on the "Skullsplitter Mk. II" which will have a big heavy monkey fist for smashing stuff/people - I think i should probably get a little better at swinging it before adding spikes (smacked myself upside the face pretty well last night - looked like this for a few mintues ---> ubbloco)

-E.O. Wilson

-Spike Milligan

Mags The JediGOLD Member
Fool
2,020 posts

Posted:
I've seen people using a 1.5 foot staff with a chain and wick at each end. It's got a name...

Blast my memory.

"I believe the cost of life is Death and we will all pay that in full. Everything else should be a gift. We paid the cover charge of life, we were born."

Bill Hicks, February 1988

Mags The JediGOLD Member
Fool
2,020 posts

Posted:
Ah yeah. Meteorite. That's the bugger.

"I believe the cost of life is Death and we will all pay that in full. Everything else should be a gift. We paid the cover charge of life, we were born."

Bill Hicks, February 1988

Klaymen180 posts

Posted:
isnt meteorite the long sorta rope thing which can be twirled as a staff or held in 2 places and twirled as poi? :S. I thought that's what it was.

- Klaymen

TwirlyShoryuken!
233 posts

Posted:
Ner thats a meteor, they's a wee bit different.