• You must now select Courier Delivery if you wish to receive items before Christmas.

Page: 12345
licklefairygirl (aka smallgirl)

Total posts: 20
Posted:on saturday afternoon i saw an arty program on bbc 2 and it was imagery describing the planets (you know the classical music pieces) and they showed footage from burning man and lots of happy spinners

well it made me happy four five minutes anyway.................. didn't spot eva either frown

Delete Topic

bing!
BRONZE Member since Jan 2005

bing!

i beat my inner child

Total posts: 184
Posted:a manchester police program on a couple of nights ago showed someone down, what looked like oxford street, spinning fire in one of the clubs, one with a glass front. who was it? answers on a postcard

--the spark what lit the flame which started the fire that burned forever--

Delete

EnderWiggin
BRONZE Member since Apr 2006

EnderWiggin

Total posts: 8
Posted:I saw that survivor episode a few weeks ago. It was funny cuz i've been watching the whole season and whenever they spotlight on one person there's a caption underneath saying what they do. (Doctor, lumberjack, navy pilot, etc. And whenever they showed that chick all season, her caption was "fire dancer". So i figured she must be at least pretty good if that was the primary label she chose to be identified by. And I had no idea about the "luxury items" until all the sudden she shows up with a bunch of fire toys (with HD tivo i can confirm that they were well worn fire heads and not fluffy poi). she busted out some btb weave without them lit, and she seemed to have some nice wraps going as well.

"You spin me right round, baby right round like a record baby, right round round round"

Delete

faith enfire
BRONZE Member since Jan 2006

faith enfire

wandering thru the woods of WI

Total posts: 3556
Posted:i was disappointed they didnt show more last night

Faith
Nay, whatever comes one hour was sunlit and the most high gods may not make boast of any better thing than to have watched that hour as it passed

Delete

Dunc
GOLD Member since Aug 2003

Dunc

playing the days away

Total posts: 7263
Posted:There was a chick doing poi and contact on Never Mind The Buzzcocks tonight (presented by Hughie from FLC) and the footage was from 2001, then she did CJ 'live' in the studio and she sucked! ubblol No seriously, you'd think after 4 years she'd have gotten slightly better at least! Her makeup was cool tho smile

Let's relight this forum ubblove

Delete

nearly_all_gone
SILVER Member since Aug 2004

nearly_all_gone

Pooh-Bah

Total posts: 1626
Posted:I know it doesn't really count, but there was a good bit of staff fighting on Doctor Who tonight biggrin

Really made me smile after a day of stick, I come home to watch the one thing I watch on TV now, and there's more bloody stick on it. And THEY'RE hitting people in the face too! ubblol

What a wonderful miracle if only we could look through each other's eyes for an instant.
Thoreau

Delete

alien_oddity

alien_oddity

Carpal \'Tunnel

Total posts: 7193
Posted:when's the repeat kevlarsoul bounce

Delete

Mags The Jedi
GOLD Member since May 2004

Mags The Jedi

Fool

Total posts: 2020
Posted:I saw the monk/ninjas on Doctor Who. I was kinda shocked by how scary it was. Good werewolf effects too. Hmmm. May have to start watching it regular like...

devil

"I believe the cost of life is Death and we will all pay that in full. Everything else should be a gift. We paid the cover charge of life, we were born."

Bill Hicks, February 1988

Delete

nearly_all_gone
SILVER Member since Aug 2004

nearly_all_gone

Pooh-Bah

Total posts: 1626
Posted:Doctor Who is ace biggrin The newer series, anyway. There were zombies (basically) in it last week! Quality!

What a wonderful miracle if only we could look through each other's eyes for an instant.
Thoreau

Delete

Lemonkey

Lemonkey

Stalking amidst the desert, carrying an oversized scalpel...

Total posts: 1019
Posted: Written by: Dunc

There was a chick doing poi and contact on Never Mind The Buzzcocks tonight (presented by Hughie from FLC) and the footage was from 2001, then she did CJ 'live' in the studio and she sucked! ubblol No seriously, you'd think after 4 years she'd have gotten slightly better at least! Her makeup was cool tho smile

I saw that too! I was seriously shocked at how bad she was! After watching the progress Ed made in just a year, as a hobbyist, she (as I presumed professional circus peep) should be slightly better after 4 years!

Willy - is bad for your health...

Delete

Igirisujin
SILVER Member since Jul 2005

Igirisujin

Carpal \'Tunnel

Total posts: 2666
Posted:I only saw the contact, no poi.

We eh is that K-D Lang? Constant cravings waa eye!

Chief adviser to the Pharaoh, in one very snazzy mutli-coloured coat

'Time goes by so slowly for those who wait...' - Whatever Happend To Baby Madonna?

Delete

faith enfire
BRONZE Member since Jan 2006

faith enfire

wandering thru the woods of WI

Total posts: 3556
Posted:i saw some fire poi on univision the other night, it looked like it was a soap opera

Faith
Nay, whatever comes one hour was sunlit and the most high gods may not make boast of any better thing than to have watched that hour as it passed

Delete

the_poier

the 1337 poier

Total posts: 346
Posted:There was also poi in peep show...quite alot of it actually but only in the background. I also reecently saw an advert for some comedy with dawn french in and some other known faces which including a woman doing fire poi (or atleast trying to as i think she sets some stuff on fire).

ive got a fuzzbox and im not afraid to use it
R.I.P. gayfest

Delete

poig

poig

marmite and nutella sandwich

Total posts: 1590
Posted:I saw some on a bbc advert about "this is what we do". It only lasted about a second though biggrin

THE hop Pyro.
(with parents)
Unowned

Delete

psycotic_furby
BRONZE Member since Mar 2005

psycotic_furby

Hehe, you said 'Member'

Total posts: 105
Posted: Written by: bing!

a manchester police program on a couple of nights ago showed someone down, what looked like oxford street, spinning fire in one of the clubs, one with a glass front.

The club sounds an awful lot like Jilly's (to answer a months old question) although AFAIK they've got a blanket ban on poi (boo!), so I don't imagine they'd have FIRE inside?!

And the Dawn French (et al) show is "Jam and Jerusalem", on BBC1. The woman sets fire to a church after letting go doing some half-arsed backwards circles, by the look of it :P

Eww, Liza Minelli...

The communists gave my mother a job, teaching sculpture to limbless children.

Delete

MikefromGlos
SILVER Member since Jul 2006

MikefromGlos

Hitman

Total posts: 985
Posted:theres a advert constantily on channel 4 at the moment for some telecommunication thing and its a got a fire club juggler on stilts on it just doing a standard cascade for bout 5 seconds but it pleased me to see it

he he i am mike the amazing gloscircus person who is mike.

Officaly an exception to the Poi Boys are Girls Thing

Delete

brittle
GOLD Member since May 2006

brittle

Total posts: 131
Posted:theres one advert with a woman doing stuff with hoops for heart 106.6 fm radio

also in papa roach's new video ...to be loved has fire fans and other stuff in =)

What to do in case of fire??? LET IT BURN!

Delete

Spanner
BRONZE Member since Feb 2003

Spanner

remembers when it was all fields round here

Total posts: 2790
Posted: Written by: psycotic_furby

And the Dawn French (et al) show is "Jam and Jerusalem", on BBC1. The woman sets fire to a church after letting go doing some half-arsed backwards circles, by the look of it :P

Which I have seen and am not happy about at all frown

"I thought you are man, but
you are nice woman.

yay,

:R"

Delete

Mr_Chutney
SILVER Member since Apr 2003

Mr_Chutney

Tosser

Total posts: 1711
Posted:Agreed Spanner-

I saw this fiorst a few weeks back and was going to post a thread- I'm suprised one hasn't sprung up discussing it and it sterotypical mocking of youth/ poi culture.

Delete

Spanner
BRONZE Member since Feb 2003

Spanner

remembers when it was all fields round here

Total posts: 2790
Posted: Written by: bbc.co.uk

Pauline McLynn - better known as father Ted's Mrs Doyle - plays Sal's best friend Tip, while Sally Phillips is her hippy daughter Tash, whose circus skills don't add any gravitas to her already skimpy CV.

It's highly misrepresentative of fire spinning and its culture but more concerningly a very bad example to be setting.

Quite simply, the BBC is currently broadcasting a trailer several times per day which shows Sally Philips unconfidently spinning fire poi in a church, wearing no head/hair cover and short sleeves, then cutting to one of the poi, presumably having left her hand, burning some decoration.

It's a couple of very quick shots but as far as I remember this is what can be seen.

What can't be seen is any evidence of any safety precautions as recommended by the HoP fire safety articles, for example, and as this trailer and the fuller programme will be an introduction to the whole range of fire arts for the vast majority of the audience, I find that absolutely unacceptable.

Expecting fire spinners to perform for free as requested earlier this year was bad enough.

I know: wrong forum for this kind of chat, but this complacency by the BBC could have very serious consequences frown

"I thought you are man, but
you are nice woman.

yay,

:R"

Delete

_Clare_
BRONZE Member since Oct 2002

_Clare_

Still wiggling

Total posts: 5967
Posted:wave

Just saw the ad for Jam and Jerusalem (which is on tonight at 9.30, btw)

ubblol

I think it's going to piss some people off.

But never worry, if poi/staff is ever going to be accepted as something other than a fad, or achieve the, ahem, lofty respect of juggling, it has to be able to be mocked by mainstream comedians...

Ah well, bring it on smile

Getting to the other side smile

Delete

Mynci
BRONZE Member since Apr 2005

Mynci

Macaque of all trades

Total posts: 8737
Posted:I can mock poi biggrin in fact it's one of my favourite hobbies next to juggling and staff wink

A couple of balls short of a full cascade... or maybe a few cards short of a deck... we'll see how this all fans out.

Delete

_Clare_
BRONZE Member since Oct 2002

_Clare_

Still wiggling

Total posts: 5967
Posted:Well if you're not a mainstream comedian (or meg, which is moreorless the same thing), it doesn't count tongue

Getting to the other side smile

Delete

Hanz

Hanz

veteran

Total posts: 1328
Posted:on Medical Miracles the other night there was this really obese lady from NZ, she had two daughters who could be spotted using maori poi and then they showed them actually practising with them

Delete

Igirisujin

Igirisujin

Carpal \'Tunnel

Total posts: 2666
Posted:Oh I saw that I thought it was good smile.

We've all been at that point, picking up poi and spinning them in two circles and looking for praise, but never getting any couse its not any good. Did you see her face all the way through when she was trying to spin poi, and only ever getting any praise at the very end from one person, who is abit like all our mums who think everything we do is brilliant even though its clearly rubbish to everyone else.

It made me giggle

biggrin

Chief adviser to the Pharaoh, in one very snazzy mutli-coloured coat

'Time goes by so slowly for those who wait...' - Whatever Happend To Baby Madonna?

Delete

Hanz

Hanz

veteran

Total posts: 1328
Posted:is this the lady or the kids? I liked the kids, can't remember her giving it a go though

Delete

the_mods_stole_my_name
SILVER Member since May 2006

the_mods_stole_my_name

travelling without moving

Total posts: 1286
Posted:did anybody see the chimaera crew last night on some late night show called 'BLAST!' ? those guys showed what the fire spinning community is really like, a tight knitted group of friends, not a group of stoner youths out to play with fire! nice one guys!

Heilige Scheie, Batman kommt!

Reality is just a state of mind which occurs through a lack of lsd

XxX owned by devilsarmy XxX

O.B.E.S.E.

Delete

Winged Avenger
SILVER Member since May 2005

Winged Avenger

The official Emma Peel wannabe

Total posts: 226
Posted:Did anyone see An Audience with Take That - you don't have to admit it - but there was some fire club swinging. Quite obviously it was with Relight my Fire - but it was cool to see and the guy could clearly do it quite well - no fast weave!

"Always keep your bowler on in times of stress and watch out for diabolical masterminds" - Emma Peel

Delete

jo_rhymes
SILVER Member since Apr 2005

jo_rhymes

Momma Bear

Total posts: 4525
Posted:"relight my fire, your love is my only desire, relight my fire! cos i neeeeeeeeeed, ooh neeeeeeed, your love, doo doo!" biggrin

Hoppers are angels who lift us to our feet when our wings have trouble remembering how to fly.

Delete

Fixx
GOLD Member since Jul 2006

Total posts: 25
Posted:Yep, he was pretty good - did some nice double staff spinning to end the routine as well.

Can't believe I actually did admit to watching that... tongue

"If you're not living life on the edge, you're taking up too much space"

Delete

the_mods_stole_my_name
SILVER Member since May 2006

the_mods_stole_my_name

travelling without moving

Total posts: 1286
Posted:i spotted a girl doing contact baton twirling yesterday on the video to little chris' song, getting enough. i'm kinda embarrased to say i watched the video coz it's soooooo bad!

Heilige Scheie, Batman kommt!

Reality is just a state of mind which occurs through a lack of lsd

XxX owned by devilsarmy XxX

O.B.E.S.E.

Delete

Page: 12345