Page:
Posted:
on saturday afternoon i saw an arty program on bbc 2 and it was imagery describing the planets (you know the classical music pieces) and they showed footage from burning man and lots of happy spinners

well it made me happy four five minutes anyway.................. didn't spot eva either frown

DuncGOLD Member
playing the days away
7,263 posts

Posted:
There was a chick doing poi and contact on Never Mind The Buzzcocks tonight (presented by Hughie from FLC) and the footage was from 2001, then she did CJ 'live' in the studio and she sucked! ubblol No seriously, you'd think after 4 years she'd have gotten slightly better at least! Her makeup was cool tho smile

Let's relight this forum ubblove

nearly_all_goneSILVER Member
Pooh-Bah
1,626 posts

Posted:
I know it doesn't really count, but there was a good bit of staff fighting on Doctor Who tonight biggrin

Really made me smile after a day of stick, I come home to watch the one thing I watch on TV now, and there's more bloody stick on it. And THEY'RE hitting people in the face too! ubblol

What a wonderful miracle if only we could look through each other's eyes for an instant.
Thoreau

alien_oddityCarpal \'Tunnel
7,193 posts

Posted:
when's the repeat kevlarsoul bounce

Mags The JediGOLD Member
Fool
2,020 posts

Posted:
I saw the monk/ninjas on Doctor Who. I was kinda shocked by how scary it was. Good werewolf effects too. Hmmm. May have to start watching it regular like...

devil

"I believe the cost of life is Death and we will all pay that in full. Everything else should be a gift. We paid the cover charge of life, we were born."

Bill Hicks, February 1988

nearly_all_goneSILVER Member
Pooh-Bah
1,626 posts

Posted:
Doctor Who is ace biggrin The newer series, anyway. There were zombies (basically) in it last week! Quality!

What a wonderful miracle if only we could look through each other's eyes for an instant.
Thoreau

LemonkeyStalking amidst the desert, carrying an oversized scalpel...
1,019 posts

Posted:
 Written by: Dunc

There was a chick doing poi and contact on Never Mind The Buzzcocks tonight (presented by Hughie from FLC) and the footage was from 2001, then she did CJ 'live' in the studio and she sucked! ubblol No seriously, you'd think after 4 years she'd have gotten slightly better at least! Her makeup was cool tho smile

I saw that too! I was seriously shocked at how bad she was! After watching the progress Ed made in just a year, as a hobbyist, she (as I presumed professional circus peep) should be slightly better after 4 years!

Willy - is bad for your health...

IgirisujinSILVER Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
2,666 posts

Posted:
I only saw the contact, no poi.

We eh is that K-D Lang? Constant cravings waa eye!

Chief adviser to the Pharaoh, in one very snazzy mutli-coloured coat

'Time goes by so slowly for those who wait...' - Whatever Happend To Baby Madonna?

faith enfireBRONZE Member
wandering thru the woods of WI
3,556 posts

Posted:
i saw some fire poi on univision the other night, it looked like it was a soap opera

Faith
Nay, whatever comes one hour was sunlit and the most high gods may not make boast of any better thing than to have watched that hour as it passed

the_poierSILVER Member
the 1337 poier
346 posts

Posted:
There was also poi in peep show...quite alot of it actually but only in the background. I also reecently saw an advert for some comedy with dawn french in and some other known faces which including a woman doing fire poi (or atleast trying to as i think she sets some stuff on fire).

ive got a fuzzbox and im not afraid to use it
R.I.P. gayfest

poigmarmite and nutella sandwich
1,590 posts

Posted:
I saw some on a bbc advert about "this is what we do". It only lasted about a second though biggrin

THE hop Pyro.
(with parents)
Unowned

psycotic_furbyBRONZE Member
Hehe, you said 'Member'
105 posts

Posted:
 Written by: bing!

a manchester police program on a couple of nights ago showed someone down, what looked like oxford street, spinning fire in one of the clubs, one with a glass front.

The club sounds an awful lot like Jilly's (to answer a months old question) although AFAIK they've got a blanket ban on poi (boo!), so I don't imagine they'd have FIRE inside?!

And the Dawn French (et al) show is "Jam and Jerusalem", on BBC1. The woman sets fire to a church after letting go doing some half-arsed backwards circles, by the look of it :P

Eww, Liza Minelli...

The communists gave my mother a job, teaching sculpture to limbless children.

MikefromGlosSILVER Member
Hitman
985 posts

Posted:
theres a advert constantily on channel 4 at the moment for some telecommunication thing and its a got a fire club juggler on stilts on it just doing a standard cascade for bout 5 seconds but it pleased me to see it

he he i am mike the amazing gloscircus person who is mike.

Officaly an exception to the Poi Boys are Girls Thing

brittleGOLD Member
131 posts

Posted:
theres one advert with a woman doing stuff with hoops for heart 106.6 fm radio

also in papa roach's new video ...to be loved has fire fans and other stuff in =)

What to do in case of fire??? LET IT BURN!

Mr ChutneySILVER Member
Tosser
1,712 posts

Posted:
Agreed Spanner-

I saw this fiorst a few weeks back and was going to post a thread- I'm suprised one hasn't sprung up discussing it and it sterotypical mocking of youth/ poi culture.

_Clare_BRONZE Member
Still wiggling
5,967 posts

Posted:
wave

Just saw the ad for Jam and Jerusalem (which is on tonight at 9.30, btw)

ubblol

I think it's going to piss some people off.

But never worry, if poi/staff is ever going to be accepted as something other than a fad, or achieve the, ahem, lofty respect of juggling, it has to be able to be mocked by mainstream comedians...

Ah well, bring it on smile

Getting to the other side smile

MynciBRONZE Member
Macaque of all trades
8,738 posts

Posted:
I can mock poi biggrin in fact it's one of my favourite hobbies next to juggling and staff wink

A couple of balls short of a full cascade... or maybe a few cards short of a deck... we'll see how this all fans out.

_Clare_BRONZE Member
Still wiggling
5,967 posts

Posted:
Well if you're not a mainstream comedian (or meg, which is moreorless the same thing), it doesn't count tongue

Getting to the other side smile

Hanzveteran
1,328 posts

Posted:
on Medical Miracles the other night there was this really obese lady from NZ, she had two daughters who could be spotted using maori poi and then they showed them actually practising with them

IgirisujinSILVER Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
2,666 posts

Posted:
Oh I saw that I thought it was good smile.

We've all been at that point, picking up poi and spinning them in two circles and looking for praise, but never getting any couse its not any good. Did you see her face all the way through when she was trying to spin poi, and only ever getting any praise at the very end from one person, who is abit like all our mums who think everything we do is brilliant even though its clearly rubbish to everyone else.

It made me giggle

biggrin

Chief adviser to the Pharaoh, in one very snazzy mutli-coloured coat

'Time goes by so slowly for those who wait...' - Whatever Happend To Baby Madonna?

Hanzveteran
1,328 posts

Posted:
is this the lady or the kids? I liked the kids, can't remember her giving it a go though

the_mods_stole_my_nameSILVER Member
travelling without moving
1,286 posts

Posted:
did anybody see the chimaera crew last night on some late night show called 'BLAST!' ? those guys showed what the fire spinning community is really like, a tight knitted group of friends, not a group of stoner youths out to play with fire! nice one guys!

Heilige Scheiße, Batman kommt!

Reality is just a state of mind which occurs through a lack of lsd

XxX owned by devilsarmy XxX

O.B.E.S.E.

Winged AvengerSILVER Member
The official Emma Peel wannabe
226 posts

Posted:
Did anyone see An Audience with Take That - you don't have to admit it - but there was some fire club swinging. Quite obviously it was with Relight my Fire - but it was cool to see and the guy could clearly do it quite well - no fast weave!

"Always keep your bowler on in times of stress and watch out for diabolical masterminds" - Emma Peel

jo_rhymesSILVER Member
Momma Bear
4,525 posts

Posted:
"relight my fire, your love is my only desire, relight my fire! cos i neeeeeeeeeed, ooh neeeeeeed, your love, doo doo!" biggrin

Hoppers are angels who lift us to our feet when our wings have trouble remembering how to fly.

FixxGOLD Member
25 posts

Posted:
Yep, he was pretty good - did some nice double staff spinning to end the routine as well.

Can't believe I actually did admit to watching that... tongue

"If you're not living life on the edge, you're taking up too much space"

the_mods_stole_my_nameSILVER Member
travelling without moving
1,286 posts

Posted:
i spotted a girl doing contact baton twirling yesterday on the video to little chris' song, getting enough. i'm kinda embarrased to say i watched the video coz it's soooooo bad!

Heilige Scheiße, Batman kommt!

Reality is just a state of mind which occurs through a lack of lsd

XxX owned by devilsarmy XxX

O.B.E.S.E.

monseratSILVER Member
My flabber is gasted
737 posts

Posted:
In the new vodafone advert right at the start there's a guy doing fire ropes and a fire juggler in the background

Chaos is the natural state of the universe

Some days I'm the pigeon, some days I'm the statue.

honourary militant margerine ninJAH

If it wasn't for displacement activity I wouldn't get half as much done

FixxGOLD Member
25 posts

Posted:
Not quite TV (unless they show it sometime in the future) but i was at a Pink concert at Wembley on Monday night, and during one of the songs one of her dancers was spinning glow poi.

Nothing fancy, just weave, reels and lots of wheel plane circles, but made us smile smile

"If you're not living life on the edge, you're taking up too much space"

bluecatgeek, level 1
5,300 posts

Posted:
 Written by: Spanner

Written by: bbc.co.uk

Pauline McLynn - better known as father Ted's Mrs Doyle - plays Sal's best friend Tip, while Sally Phillips is her hippy daughter Tash, whose circus skills don't add any gravitas to her already skimpy CV.

It's highly misrepresentative of fire spinning and its culture but more concerningly a very bad example to be setting.

Quite simply, the BBC is currently broadcasting a trailer several times per day which shows Sally Philips unconfidently spinning fire poi in a church, wearing no head/hair cover and short sleeves, then cutting to one of the poi, presumably having left her hand, burning some decoration.

It's a couple of very quick shots but as far as I remember this is what can be seen.
What can't be seen is any evidence of any safety precautions as recommended by the HoP fire safety articles, for example, and as this trailer and the fuller programme will be an introduction to the whole range of fire arts for the vast majority of the audience, I find that absolutely unacceptable.

Expecting fire spinners to perform for free as requested earlier this year was bad enough.
I know: wrong forum for this kind of chat, but this complacency by the BBC could have very serious consequences frown

er. has anyone complained to them yet? i will, if noone else does.

Holistic Spinner (I hope)

kashGOLD Member
Dangerous cynic
166 posts

Posted:
Has anyone else noticed that whenever there is poi in mainstream media it is nearly always *really bad* poi, like someone has taken an extra to one side and given them some poi 5 minutes before they start rolling.

I think there must be a niche in the market here, perhaps we could start our own agency for fire dancing extras/character actors!

jemima (jem)SILVER Member
Pooh-Bah
1,750 posts

Posted:
There was a tiny bit of fire spinning at the Take That comeback concert.........thingy (I wasn't watching it I was channel flicking, honest ubbangel)

Never assume
Always Acknowledge

Page: