• All Purchases made this month instantly go into the draw to win a USD $ 100.00 credit to your HoP account.

Page: 12345
licklefairygirl (aka smallgirl)

Total posts: 20
Posted:on saturday afternoon i saw an arty program on bbc 2 and it was imagery describing the planets (you know the classical music pieces) and they showed footage from burning man and lots of happy spinners

well it made me happy four five minutes anyway.................. didn't spot eva either frown

Delete Topic

monserat
SILVER Member since Apr 2006

monserat

My flabber is gasted

Total posts: 737
Posted:In the new vodafone advert right at the start there's a guy doing fire ropes and a fire juggler in the background

Chaos is the natural state of the universe

Some days I'm the pigeon, some days I'm the statue.

honourary militant margerine ninJAH

If it wasn't for displacement activity I wouldn't get half as much done

Delete

Fixx
GOLD Member since Jul 2006

Total posts: 25
Posted:Not quite TV (unless they show it sometime in the future) but i was at a Pink concert at Wembley on Monday night, and during one of the songs one of her dancers was spinning glow poi.

Nothing fancy, just weave, reels and lots of wheel plane circles, but made us smile smile

"If you're not living life on the edge, you're taking up too much space"

Delete

bluecat

bluecat

geek, level 1

Total posts: 5300
Posted: Written by: Spanner

Written by: bbc.co.uk

Pauline McLynn - better known as father Ted's Mrs Doyle - plays Sal's best friend Tip, while Sally Phillips is her hippy daughter Tash, whose circus skills don't add any gravitas to her already skimpy CV.

It's highly misrepresentative of fire spinning and its culture but more concerningly a very bad example to be setting.

Quite simply, the BBC is currently broadcasting a trailer several times per day which shows Sally Philips unconfidently spinning fire poi in a church, wearing no head/hair cover and short sleeves, then cutting to one of the poi, presumably having left her hand, burning some decoration.

It's a couple of very quick shots but as far as I remember this is what can be seen.
What can't be seen is any evidence of any safety precautions as recommended by the HoP fire safety articles, for example, and as this trailer and the fuller programme will be an introduction to the whole range of fire arts for the vast majority of the audience, I find that absolutely unacceptable.

Expecting fire spinners to perform for free as requested earlier this year was bad enough.
I know: wrong forum for this kind of chat, but this complacency by the BBC could have very serious consequences frown

er. has anyone complained to them yet? i will, if noone else does.

Holistic Spinner (I hope)

Delete

kash
GOLD Member since May 2006

kash

Dangerous cynic

Total posts: 166
Posted:Has anyone else noticed that whenever there is poi in mainstream media it is nearly always *really bad* poi, like someone has taken an extra to one side and given them some poi 5 minutes before they start rolling.

I think there must be a niche in the market here, perhaps we could start our own agency for fire dancing extras/character actors!

Delete

Spanner
BRONZE Member since Feb 2003

Spanner

remembers when it was all fields round here

Total posts: 2790
Posted: Written by: bluecat

Written by: Spanner

Written by: bbc.co.uk

Pauline McLynn - better known as father Ted's Mrs Doyle - plays Sal's best friend Tip, while Sally Phillips is her hippy daughter Tash, whose circus skills don't add any gravitas to her already skimpy CV.

It's highly misrepresentative of fire spinning and its culture but more concerningly a very bad example to be setting.

Quite simply, the BBC is currently broadcasting a trailer several times per day which shows Sally Philips unconfidently spinning fire poi in a church, wearing no head/hair cover and short sleeves, then cutting to one of the poi, presumably having left her hand, burning some decoration.

It's a couple of very quick shots but as far as I remember this is what can be seen.
What can't be seen is any evidence of any safety precautions as recommended by the HoP fire safety articles, for example, and as this trailer and the fuller programme will be an introduction to the whole range of fire arts for the vast majority of the audience, I find that absolutely unacceptable.

Expecting fire spinners to perform for free as requested earlier this year was bad enough.
I know: wrong forum for this kind of chat, but this complacency by the BBC could have very serious consequences frown

er. has anyone complained to them yet? i will, if noone else does.

I haven't sent in my complaint yet but I'm drafting one.
I'm glad you want to complain too and would encourage others who feel the same to do the same smile

Another point I thought of is that when the BBC ask spinners to perform with fire for free, those gigs don't count towards future Equity membership if I remember correctly.
(I wonder if the BBC has the cheek to approach actors expecting them to perform for free?)
I'm sure Sally Philips is an Equity member and has been paid very well for this episode involving fire poi, yet I'd say it didn't seem apparent whether she'd practiced for the amount of time you'd expect anyone to be confident - or safe! - enough to be spinning fire poi.

"I thought you are man, but
you are nice woman.

yay,

:R"

Delete

jemima (jem)
SILVER Member since Dec 2002

jemima (jem)

Pooh-Bah

Total posts: 1750
Posted:There was a tiny bit of fire spinning at the Take That comeback concert.........thingy (I wasn't watching it I was channel flicking, honest ubbangel)

Never assume
Always Acknowledge

Delete

Gayle......!
SILVER Member since Jul 2004

Pooh-Bah

Total posts: 2444
Posted:Quite amusing medieval women mace poi in a performance from Monty Pythons spamalot on the royal variety performace.

Gayle.....!

Delete

poig

poig

marmite and nutella sandwich

Total posts: 1590
Posted:Yep, just saw that, what a feeble attempt ubblol

THE hop Pyro.
(with parents)
Unowned

Delete

Brenn
PLATINUM Member since Jun 2004

Brenn

Will carpal your tunnel in a minute.

Total posts: 3286
Posted:I did Poi on TV once...but then i lost my balance and fell off.

ॐ

Owner of burningoftheclavey smile
Owned by Lost83spy

Delete

Lost83spy
BRONZE Member since Sep 2005

Lost83spy

Out! Out! You demons of stupidity!

Total posts: 587
Posted: Written by: Brenn

I did Poi on TV once...but then i lost my balance and fell off.

ubblol

It may be your sole purpose in life to serve as a warning to others

Founder and Official leader of the Curby Clan

*Owner of Brenn*

Delete

Danny_
GOLD Member since Aug 2005

Danny_

Total posts: 95
Posted:i was filmed, and broadcast live, a little while ago spinning fire poi on the roof of a music channel's studio in NZ... biggrin

Delete

psycotic_furby
BRONZE Member since Mar 2005

psycotic_furby

Hehe, you said 'Member'

Total posts: 105
Posted:Hmm... some trash TV on Channel 4 (uk) right now about 'pyromaniacs'. They've basically called fire spinning, whips, breathing etc as 'acceptable' outlets for pyromania, showing a few groups in america, and now they're basically saying playing with fire is a form of masturbation/sex (?!)

Oh, and we're all showoffs... Well that goes without saying, surely?

Eww, Liza Minelli...

The communists gave my mother a job, teaching sculpture to limbless children.

Delete

Axis

Total posts: 171
Posted:Here's one!

A couple of years back i was filmed doing poi for a tv ident, for Viasat i think. I was told it's Europe's 2nd biggest broadcaster with an audience of 250million across the continent.

Much to my dismay on the final footage my own body was painted out and dancers inserted into my trails of fire.

!

At least my flames are famous! Lol

True story.

Delete

Loewan
BRONZE Member since Mar 2017

Loewan

and behold!

Total posts: 464
Posted: Written by: psycotic_furby

Hmm... some trash TV on Channel 4 (uk) right now about 'pyromaniacs'. They've basically called fire spinning, whips, breathing etc as 'acceptable' outlets for pyromania, showing a few groups in america, and now they're basically saying playing with fire is a form of masturbation/sex (?!)

That is so true... Why do you think I need to change my trousers everytime I spin? Apart from the obvious reason of not wanting to get my nice clothes dirty. tongue

EDITED_BY: Lowan (1170807352)

Why let your body be a temple? When it can be a theme park?

Wii Console Number: 3294 0297 7824 7498

Delete

psycotic_furby
BRONZE Member since Mar 2005

psycotic_furby

Hehe, you said 'Member'

Total posts: 105
Posted: Written by: Lowan

That is so true... Why do you think I need to change my trousers everytime I spin? Apart from the obvious reason of not wanting to get my nice clothes dirty. tongue

Dude, so wrong...

Eww, Liza Minelli...

The communists gave my mother a job, teaching sculpture to limbless children.

Delete

Posted:Did anyone tape pyromania on channel 4, I would be grateful if someone could send me a copy.

Delete

Gayle......!
SILVER Member since Jul 2004

Pooh-Bah

Total posts: 2444
Posted:The new curry's christmas ad is advertising tvs with people spinning blue glow poi on them...

Gayle.....!

Delete

faith enfire
BRONZE Member since Mar 2017

faith enfire

wandering thru the woods of WI

Total posts: 3556
Posted:The goth guy on amazing race does a little staff doubles

Faith
Nay, whatever comes one hour was sunlit and the most high gods may not make boast of any better thing than to have watched that hour as it passed

Delete

jo_rhymes
SILVER Member since Apr 2005

jo_rhymes

Momma Bear

Total posts: 4525
Posted:ubblol Gayle, I saw the curry's advert with the dude spinning glow poi!
I was stunned! What has poi got to do with Currys?!! he was doing the fountain, perhaps it shows how good the colour is on their tellies?!!

Hoppers are angels who lift us to our feet when our wings have trouble remembering how to fly.

Delete

Live_in_a_spin
SILVER Member since Oct 2005

Live_in_a_spin

Dude where's my Poi?

Total posts: 383
Posted:PC World now have an advert with a bit of glow staff and juggling. It looks a lot like the stuff in the Currys advert.

Live life in a spin!!!
but if you fall don't come crying to me!!!

Delete

Posted:I know it's not poi, and not telly...but i'm in the current issue of Mac Format on page 33!

And honestly that was a totally random find flicking though the mag in Luton airport biggrin

The journo must have been at our show in Ripton Dec 2006...

Delete

DarkFyre
BRONZE Member since Nov 2005

DarkFyre

HoP mage and keeper of the fireballs

Total posts: 1965
Posted:I just saw an episode of Reba where the fat blond one is spinning her cheerleader batton and accidently sets one end on fire. She then flaps it about like an idiot before geting an idea so she then sets the other end on fire aswell and gives it a little spin (with that "I've just been bit by the fire bug" smile).

not the best example of spinning on TV but hey it's worth a smile

May my balls of fire set your balls on fire devil

Delete

ACT
SILVER Member since Nov 2007

ACT

enthusiast

Total posts: 318
Posted:Speaking of poi on TV.... Sci Fi's movie Tinman has a fire spinner in it. Its just brief and in the backround but I jumped up and down and was hotten and hollering about it.

Don't hate me because I am different, hate me because I still think I am better then you!

Delete

Fire_Moose
SILVER Member since May 2007

Fire_Moose

Elusive and Bearded

Total posts: 3597
Posted:How is that show? i saw a bit of one episode and seemed like i might give it a try....then i didnt, but i still may.

O.B.E.S.E.

Owned by Mynci!

Delete

ACT
SILVER Member since Nov 2007

ACT

enthusiast

Total posts: 318
Posted:its okay..... dry and slow but overall the story is neat. The ending sucked! Its worth a watch though smile

Don't hate me because I am different, hate me because I still think I am better then you!

Delete

Felixwah
SILVER Member since Sep 2005

Felixwah

journeyman

Total posts: 81
Posted:im gonna be on shameless next tues doing some poi spinning unless u already watched it last night on E4 :P. Wasnt too much of me n they didnt include much of my techiness but i canny complain smile

Delete

Mynci
BRONZE Member since Apr 2005

Mynci

Macaque of all trades

Total posts: 8737
Posted:I saw it biggrin

A couple of balls short of a full cascade... or maybe a few cards short of a deck... we'll see how this all fans out.

Delete

oli
SILVER Member since Jul 2003

not with cactus

Total posts: 2052
Posted:i saw that too... i was like, hmmm thats proper poi and they can do more than a 3 beat weave biggrin unusual to see that on tv for sure! well done smile

Me train running low on soul coal
They push+pull tactics are driving me loco
They shouldn't do that no no no

Delete

Igirisujin
SILVER Member since Jul 2005

Igirisujin

Carpal \'Tunnel

Total posts: 2666
Posted:Did no one else see it? I was at the gym and they have tv's built into the tred-mills and exersise bikes. They had fire poi on Dancing on Ice.

Chief adviser to the Pharaoh, in one very snazzy mutli-coloured coat

'Time goes by so slowly for those who wait...' - Whatever Happend To Baby Madonna?

Delete

Curly_Sue
SILVER Member since Nov 2006

Curly_Sue

laughter is the way to get through life

Total posts: 179
Posted:They had a guy with two pod type things on fire at the take that gig last year. it was a bit weird but nothing special. I actually think I could do better.

I fell down a hill once, got up then fell down it again.

Delete

Page: 12345