Page:
Posted:
on saturday afternoon i saw an arty program on bbc 2 and it was imagery describing the planets (you know the classical music pieces) and they showed footage from burning man and lots of happy spinners

well it made me happy four five minutes anyway.................. didn't spot eva either frown

margitaSILVER Member
.:*distracted by shiny things*:.
3,777 posts

Posted:
ubblol

the other day (or week maybe...i forget!) on some travel show they had this women teaching surf dancing (yes - dancing on a surf board) & they had some of the people poi-ing on surf boards!! eek biggrin

do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and good to eat!

if at first you do succeed, try not to look too astonished!

smile! :grin: it confuses people!

Mr ChutneySILVER Member
Tosser
1,712 posts

Posted:
I saw one of madoonas earlier videos (off an album before ray of light) and there is a very muscular chappie spinning fire, intercut with madonna looking all moody at the camera and lots of people just standing about (ohh that dancing is it!?).

I did know the track, but I forgot it now smile

Good bump BTW

faith enfireBRONZE Member
wandering thru the woods of WI
3,556 posts

Posted:
This was really cool. I watched wifeswap the other night and there was a whole herd of people doing poi and there was a guy with a fire staff. There was a good length segment on it. I liked some of the poi too. They were tailed and they were made of a dark material, but the cloth had iridescent threads so it sparkled in the lights. I couldn’t say if there was actual fire poi. I think there was, but if you get a chance to see the episode with Bella the Wiccaan priestess and the blonde woman watch the first half. This is not the one where the larger woman freaks out and just flips.

Faith
Nay, whatever comes one hour was sunlit and the most high gods may not make boast of any better thing than to have watched that hour as it passed

LemonkeyStalking amidst the desert, carrying an oversized scalpel...
1,019 posts

Posted:
On Scuzz I saw a video from some rubbish band where there was a load of girls spinning flags at the end. They were shockingly bad. I don't think they'd even picked poi up before that video-shoot.

Willy - is bad for your health...

dani_babybooSILVER Member
addict
667 posts

Posted:
that tv show poor little rich girls was on tonight when i got in from work... girl was doing poi whilst busking and raising money to find her father or something i jus saw the poi

enticed, entrapped, entombed.
intoxicated, impaled, ingested.
bewitched, beaten, broken.
enter the love realm...
insert ur token

o jej, ale bym ci wylizal ten pepek

stepped up promotions

AsenaGOLD Member
What a Bummer
3,224 posts

Posted:
Ye! The show got me all tearful. The poor girls mum died when she was fifteen... and she's raising money to fly over to go find her dad in italy. But she was really happy to live with the rich girls family as she felt what it was like to have parents again... *sniff* She tried to teach the mum poi... She even did some staff... but like, who cares about that?!

Lost83spyBRONZE Member
Out! Out! You demons of stupidity!
587 posts

Posted:
I saw an advert for the new VW Jetta last night. There was a bit of fire spinning and staff in it. Pretty cool!

It may be your sole purpose in life to serve as a warning to others

Founder and Official leader of the Curby Clan

*Owner of Brenn*

TinklePantsGOLD Member
Clique Infiltrator, Cunning Linguist and Master Debator
4,219 posts

Posted:
Written by: Lemonkey

On Scuzz I saw a video from some rubbish band where there was a load of girls spinning flags at the end. They were shockingly bad. I don't think they'd even picked poi up before that video-shoot.

I saw that on kerrang - they were dressed as carnies right? yeah the spinning was bad, so was the song lol

Always use "so's your face" and "only on Tuesdays" in as many conversations possible

alien_oddityCarpal \'Tunnel
7,193 posts

Posted:
i watched poor little rich girls too last, the hippy girl had some very cool mates but i did think is was out of order of some of them at the farewell party where asking " where's the rich girl?

GothFrogetteBRONZE Member
grumpy poorly froggy
3,999 posts

Posted:
does anyone know her? after watching what i did watch of it last night i just have to meet her

Life's too short to worry about where you put your marshmallows

Hanzveteran
1,328 posts

Posted:
Was just watching Channel V and there was a show on called "The Princess Of Malibu" and these kids had a party at their house when their parents were away (it was a mansion mind you) and there were a few Poi spinners- fire and elctroglo... thought that was cool

JonnyRokBRONZE Member
Look! I'm Darth Bunny!
446 posts

Posted:
I saw an advert that had a woman soinning poi. She was spinning 2 circles, 1 forwards and 1 sideways to make a number 10, simple but effective

Do what you want coz a pirate is free,
You are a pirate!
Yo ho fiddle dee dee, being a pirate is alright to be,
Do what you want coz a pirate is free,
You are a pirate!

FoxInDocsSILVER Member
Pooh-Bah
1,848 posts

Posted:

Right at the start of the add for the new Adelaide airport there's a guy walking though one of the tunnels doing staff or possibly poi... some thing that has fire on it anyways...

"i am exotic, and must keep my arms down" - Rougie

"i don't understand what penises have to do with getting married" - Foxie

IgirisujinSILVER Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
2,666 posts

Posted:
Poor little rich girls was really good this week. Wasnt that red headed girl hot! You could so tell all the guys she met had a boner afterwards ubblol. Did she find her dad? I didnt see where it said that.

Wasnt impressed with the dam camera man zooming in too much on the poi spinning part, missed some moves.

Chief adviser to the Pharaoh, in one very snazzy mutli-coloured coat

'Time goes by so slowly for those who wait...' - Whatever Happend To Baby Madonna?

alien_oddityCarpal \'Tunnel
7,193 posts

Posted:
Written by: Brit_Joe

all the guys she met had a boner afterwards ubblol.

ubblol she was hot ubblove i did find it funny at the end where they treat the rich girl to a squat party and their all sat round smoking herb ubbrollsmile

.:star:.SILVER Member
Pooh-Bah
1,785 posts

Posted:
 Written by: GothFrogette

does anyone know her? after watching what i did watch of it last night i just have to meet her

I didn't see it but I found out tonight, when talking to her friend in the pub that i know her! wish I'd seen it now! Does anyone know when/if its repeated?

grumpy poorly froggy
3,999 posts

Posted:
no i have looked but can not find anything other than the old tv listsings

Just_Another_Clownold hand
965 posts

Posted:
There is Fire Staff and Fire fingers in Placebo's video 'twenty years'

Q:"How many Jugglers Does it take to change a light bulb?"
A:"One, but another 99 others saying,'I could do that if I only practised more'" biggrin biggrin

Gate Keeper to Shocked_Prawn. None may pass.

Sic Kittymember
167 posts

Posted:
Ah!! I knew there was a thread about this somewhere!

I was watching TV (the USA channel) anyway they are having this contest about being a "character" because their slogan is Characters Welcome. And lo and behold what do I see?!

POI!!!

Yes, this woman was spinning poi, it made me so excited I just had to run and logon to post about it. lol

This is one girl's profile, I'm not sure if that's the one on the commercial or not. I looked up halfway into it and was watching the fire more than her. biggrin Sike I lie, this is her. You can go and watch the video of her and hear her interview (I guess it was an interview). I voted for her.

You've just been attacked by:
SIC KITTY!
*cackles maniacally*
I suffer...*sob*...because I am better.

I don't really believe that.... *coughs*

grumpy poorly froggy
3,999 posts

Posted:
ooooh i think she may be a HOPper... not 100% sure though. did you see the contact guy onthe site too? he's not too bad a bit too fast to see what he's actually doing. damn it when i did to be a techy grrrr.

anyway i saw some fantastic baloon modeling on the Fimbles yesterday reminded me of Bov at PLAY surrounded by kids for hours on end.

3,556 posts

Posted:
So I’m watching survivor and this girl comes back from a reward challenge and it’s said that she is a fire dancer but TV says a lot of things…and she has short staffs and poi. I could not tell if the first poi I saw her with was the blue fuzzy poi or post-burnt. But there she is spinning around. And later she is showing some of them how to dance with staff. At the end, she takes turns with staff and poi lit up. Ahhh, to be able to do a horizontal buzzsaw like that would be nice. Maybe they will show more of her and the poi and staff. It sort of sucks cause of how she gets portrayed, hippy and not in the neutral sense. So which one of you is she

Faith
Nay, whatever comes one hour was sunlit and the most high gods may not make boast of any better thing than to have watched that hour as it passed

daphnePLATINUM Member
91 posts

Posted:
I saw sic kitty's link with the girl, but she's not doing much, i was hoping for more moves.

I'm from greece and there's a singer from here that has this song "Party" and on the clip there are poi-spinners, juggling and fire-breathing. smile I was really happy to see it.

&You'll never guessed where i saw fire-poi... In a telemarketing commercial for the sauna belt!! There was this girl dressed in a hawain outfit and was doing the 3 beat. It was so weird...

I'll tell you this...
No eternal reward will forgive us now for wasting the dawn. "Jim Morrison"
"...but I, being poor, have only my dreams
I've spread my dreams under your feet
tread softly because you tread on my dreams..." Yeats

pounceSILVER Member
All the neurotic makings of America's lesser known sweetheart
9,831 posts

Posted:
my dad just showed me a survivor episode with that girl spinning poi. i don't know if it's the same one you saw faithinfire. i guess her team won some challenge and got a "luxury" item from home, so she got her poi. what i saw was actually pretty decent, she did some btb stuff and her skills were pretty good. i was just excited to see decent poi skills exposure on mainstream tv smile

I was always scared with my mother's obsession with the good scissors. It made me wonder if there were evil scissors lurking in the house somewhere.

Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons for you are crunchy and good with ketchup.

**giggles**

clarence_quackSILVER Member
QuackerJack
1,927 posts

Posted:
I saw about 10 seconds of a girl spinning poi with tails on bondi beach rescue last night...
Anyone know who it could have been?

Nutella Brigade Unite!

"Look! I have a rainbow penis!" - Rouge

Owned By Steaks

Mr MajestikSILVER Member
coming to a country near you
4,696 posts

Posted:
the connect financial add had fire twirlers and a juggler on it over summer. anyone know who that was?

"but have you considered there is more to life than your eyelids?"

jointly owned by Fire_Spinning_Angel and Blu_Valley

mrFlibbleSILVER Member
Ghostbuster
455 posts

Posted:
Never Mind the Buzzcocks on bbc2 last night had a clip from someone performing on Top of the Pops ages ago which featured a couple of people spinning poi.

IfritBRONZE Member
The GF of HoP
492 posts

Posted:
that new chick flick 'Shes the man' has a small sighting of a guy on stilts twirling tails.

fire leads to creation

bing!BRONZE Member
i beat my inner child
184 posts

Posted:
a manchester police program on a couple of nights ago showed someone down, what looked like oxford street, spinning fire in one of the clubs, one with a glass front. who was it? answers on a postcard

--the spark what lit the flame which started the fire that burned forever--

EnderWigginBRONZE Member
8 posts

Posted:
I saw that survivor episode a few weeks ago. It was funny cuz i've been watching the whole season and whenever they spotlight on one person there's a caption underneath saying what they do. (Doctor, lumberjack, navy pilot, etc. And whenever they showed that chick all season, her caption was "fire dancer". So i figured she must be at least pretty good if that was the primary label she chose to be identified by. And I had no idea about the "luxury items" until all the sudden she shows up with a bunch of fire toys (with HD tivo i can confirm that they were well worn fire heads and not fluffy poi). she busted out some btb weave without them lit, and she seemed to have some nice wraps going as well.

"You spin me right round, baby right round like a record baby, right round round round"

3,556 posts

Posted:
i was disappointed they didnt show more last night

Faith

Page: