Forums > Social Discussion > Suggestions for the board...

Login/Join to Participate
Page:
DomBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,009 posts

Posted:
When the board migrated to this new version I asked people what functionality they would like. The response was great, although I couldn't do everything everybody asked for. Anyway, I'd like to ask that question again, so:

What functionality would you like integrated into this community?
Anything that you've seen on other boards you think might benefit HoP?
Anything that annoys you about the board at the moment?

All suggestions and ideas are greatly appreciated. Please post your suggestions here or PM me.

Thanks! smile

pounceSILVER Member
All the neurotic makings of America's lesser known sweetheart
9,831 posts

Posted:
Quote:

*MORE GRAEMLINS!!!! (ask me, narr, bug, lightning, and many others for really cool sites for icons ubblol )

Non-Https Image Link

especially that graemlin! i like it!!! biggrin

and i like this waving smilie better
Non-Https Image Link

ubblol

and this wiggle one is just too cute...
Non-Https Image Link

I was always scared with my mother's obsession with the good scissors. It made me wonder if there were evil scissors lurking in the house somewhere.

Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons for you are crunchy and good with ketchup.

**giggles**

UCOFSILVER Member
15,417 posts

Posted:
Quote:

*to stop getting that annoying "error on line 455" or whatever when i'm trying to get into the larger threads (such as my intro, either/or, or what do you know). i've changed the display number preferences a million times, it still happens.

its always line 219 for me.

mad

mechBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
6,207 posts

Posted:
id like to stop teh what do you knwo about hoper abouve you thread, as im sure there is nothing more we can learn about anone else frown

as for more e-cons, im up for that!

as far as teh board goes, its sound, biggest on net, what more can you say

ps have you noticed how every one is now going for community sites these days, this was brought to my attention last night by [nx?] and hes right you know! o-O?

laterdays

Step (el-nombrie)

pounceSILVER Member
9,831 posts

Posted:
Quote:

Quote:

*to stop getting that annoying "error on line 455" or whatever when i'm trying to get into the larger threads (such as my intro, either/or, or what do you know). i've changed the display number preferences a million times, it still happens.

its always line 219 for me.

mad

i also get 105. and recently i got a new number but i don't remember what it was. like 456 or something i think.

and you can always learn more about people mech!!! that's the point of the game, to go find out more if you don't know it tongue

I was always scared with my mother's obsession with the good scissors. It made me wonder if there were evil scissors lurking in the house somewhere.

Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons for you are crunchy and good with ketchup.

**giggles**

SpitFireGOLD Member
Mand's Girl....and The Not So Shy One
2,723 posts

Posted:
How about the ability to block PM's from specific users? I think the old board had that functionality...

Solitude sometimes speaks to you, and you should listen.

AjtagThe occasional one...
445 posts

Posted:
hows about some kiknd of RSS feed so that I can have post alerts to my desktop?
or something along those lines, that would be bliss ubbrollsmile

There are 10 types of people, those who understand binary and those who dont.
Enjoy - A

flash fireBRONZE Member
Sporadically Prodigal
2,758 posts

Posted:
Quote:

How about the ability to block PM's from specific users? I think the old board had that functionality...

lol... hug

HoP Posting Guidelines
Is it the Truth?
Is it Fair to all concerned?
Will it build Goodwill and Better Friendships?
Will it be Beneficial to all concerned?
If you can answer YES to these 4 questions then you may post a reply.

GottaLoveItSponge
883 posts

Posted:
I have a suggestion for the board, well the board users:
DO NOT EAT RICOTTA CHEESE RAW
I tried a bit a quarter the size of my little finger nail this morning and felt totally vomitous for the rest of the day I am just getting over it now!
EAT IT ON PIZZA WITH SPINACH BUT NOT RAW!

I post this here because I felt that someone should have told me before I tried it, as a suggestion.

biggrin

Monkeys monkeys and bananas

AjtagThe occasional one...
445 posts

Posted:
the board should be cork biggrin

There are 10 types of people, those who understand binary and those who dont.
Enjoy - A

mcpPLATINUM Member
Flying Water Muppet
5,276 posts

Posted:
Could you make it so that it works correctly in mozilla? I did enjoy having those little boxes pop down from the top menu (Home of Poi | Community | news | etc) but they don't work in Mozilla, all that comes up is all the text overlapped into a black mark in the top left corner.

Plus, maybe we could have a Wiki for the threads that get constantly repeated?

Yay for more gremlins, text options and spellchecking!

ubbloco

"the now legendary" - Kaskade
"the still legendary" - Kaskade

I spunked in my friend's aquarium and the fish ate it. I love all fish. Especially the pink ones. They are my bitches. - Anon.

pounceSILVER Member
9,831 posts

Posted:
oh i noticed this on other boards and thought it was kinda cool. the option of "see all of these user's posts" just lists em and you gotta click on each one. but on other boards i've seen it where it actually lists all the posts' texts, one after a another. would that be possible? am i making any sense?

**giggles**

mcpPLATINUM Member
Flying Water Muppet
5,276 posts

Posted:
oh oh oh!

If you had that, you could do fun stuff, like statisticify all the posts. So after some messing around in boats with numbers you could see who replies to who's posts, who dominates certain threads, who provokes most posts, that sort of thing. Then you could make diagrams!

Diagrams!

And then you could maybe make fun hop member maps in the style of internet maps!

Yay!

Only if you were nosy of course.

And geeky.

Yeah.

I'll get my coat.

"the now legendary" - Kaskade
"the still legendary" - Kaskade

I spunked in my friend's aquarium and the fish ate it. I love all fish. Especially the pink ones. They are my bitches. - Anon.

pounceSILVER Member
9,831 posts

Posted:
frown does that mean i'm geeky? or nosy? i mean, just cause i like to stalk you, my cute little nutmeg...

ubblol

ok so i'm TOTALLY kidding there. please don't hate me. please. it was funny. i swear. i'm innocent. innocent i tell ya!

**giggles**

bubblishisFalse Eyelash
346 posts

Posted:
I haven't read the whole thread but....

How about adding in a hot date for this weekend? I could use one of those. ubbrollsmile

All the freaky people make the beauty of the world.

spritieSILVER Member
Pooh-Bah
2,014 posts

Posted:
Oohhh...I'd love one of those too ubbangel

bubblishisFalse Eyelash
346 posts

Posted:
Great! Make it a hot double date then.

With steamed milk and chocolate powder sprinkled on top. tongue

All the freaky people make the beauty of the world.

DentrassiGOLD Member
ZORT!
3,045 posts

Posted:
can we get the flaming post indicator thing when there more that 20 posts? it doesnt really change/help me in any way, but it looked cool. cool

"Here kitty kitty...." - Schroedinger.

oliSILVER Member
not with cactus
2,052 posts

Posted:
Quote:

the board should be cork biggrin

ubblol ubblol

Me train running low on soul coal
They push+pull tactics are driving me loco
They shouldn't do that no no no

[Nx?]BRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,749 posts

Posted:
something else also missing from the new board....

a "jump to new posts" button at the top of the page on threads, would be really usefull on the "ive just learnt a new move thread" thread for example.

T wave

This is a post by tom, all spelling is deleberate
-><- Kallisti

UCOFSILVER Member
15,417 posts

Posted:
i second the one for the flaming icon. That was cool.

How about an option to receive a SMS when someone replies to your intro wink

[kit] jon just wants to look popular, he doesnt have any REAL friends to text him.... [/kit]

UCOFSILVER Member
15,417 posts

Posted:
Quote:

Failing that, can we figure out how to thread the PM' s like on the old board?

Fooking yes mate...

i have been wondering whats different about my PMs since the change...

ubbtickled

but yes.. have them threaded PLEASE!!!!!

DomBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,009 posts

Posted:
Thanks guys, some good suggestions there, even if I did have to dig through the waffle to find them wink

Anyone care to suggest graemlins to me as I am looking at revamping them. Maybe I'll have to organise a poll to see what stays and what gets added. Don't worry Cole, the angry face will stay.
Non-Https Image Link

pounce:
Quote:

keep getting the board showing there are new posts in threads i've already checked. i have to log out and log back in to clear it. it's quite annoying. could you fix that?

1 - Not sure why that's happening - but there is a "Mark all read" link at the top of the page that I use after visiting HoP and leaving my browser running (otherwise it keeps it as one long session). This might stop you having to log off

2 - Long thread errors - 'fraid that this ain't fixed yet, but hopefully something I'm working on will fix it. But (always a but) due to organisational issues it's not going to be implemented for a bit longer.

rexmember
263 posts

Posted:
how about when you run your mouse over the title of a thread, a lil pop up box shows the entire body of the first post.. makes it much easier to see if you really wanna click on it...

eh, i saw it on another board...

vanizeSILVER Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,899 posts

Posted:
yeah, something like that mouse pop up idea is good. one of the things I really liked on the old HoP was that you could read the first couple of lines of the latest post in a thread from the overview screen. I think I read more posts as a result of that actually.

-v-

Wiederstand ist Zwecklos!

pounceSILVER Member
9,831 posts

Posted:
Quote:

1 - Not sure why that's happening - but there is a "Mark all read" link at the top of the page that I use after visiting HoP and leaving my browser running (otherwise it keeps it as one long session). This might stop you having to log off

hehe, never noticed that before....i really should look around more sometime LOL

**giggles**

pounceSILVER Member
9,831 posts

Posted:
ok that didn't work. frown maybe i'm just doomed

**giggles**

NYCNYC
9,232 posts

Posted:
*** New suggestion that's actually on topic and real ***

Just throwing this one out there. I'm unsure if it's a good idea or one that would create division... But some might benefit from separating "Poi Moves" into "Beginner Poi Moves" and "Advanced Poi Discussion".

Right now, "Poi Moves" is far too intimidating for a newbie to post. Actually, it would be inappropriate for a newbie to post on most of the threads there since it would take months to explain all of the terminology. It's a GOOD thing that most of the threads there are Techy. I love it and learn most of my poi from it. But recently I think some of the Advanced spinners have been frustrated because "Poi Moves" is also somehow bound to the mortals by the influx of newbies.

So right now... "Poi Moves" is suffering because the newbies don't have enough background to participate in the advanced discussions and the Jedi are getting frustrated with the newbie questions. Individual threads don't seem to be enough. An advanced discussion entitled "Isolating your 5 beat weaves" will often be bogged down with "what's an isolation, what's a weave?"... maybe even allowing the poster to rank the post as advanced or beginner could be helpful.

I dunno... just thinking out loud. I would like to see a moves venue where newbies feel welcome and yet jedi can strut their stuff too... I don't think that a single "Moves" section allows that to happen.

-One man, one vote.
NYC

Well, shall we go?
Yes, let's go.
[They do not move.]

DomBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,009 posts

Posted:
Quote:

*** New suggestion that's actually on topic and real ***

Thanks NYC smile

Insteading of making it split I think the problem of recurring posts is going to be solved by your previous suggestion of an FAQ and some terminology definitions articles linked at the top of the forum. I'm currently trying to get Glass to write an article about isolations and air wraps. Similar posts will reside at the top of each forum.

DuncGOLD Member
playing the days away
7,263 posts

Posted:
Good point NYC....how about a flagging system that shows difficulty level. Like Green Amber Red for the ahrder it gets? Purely for the tech section of course.

Let's relight this forum ubblove

DomBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,009 posts

Posted:
Because there's lots of heated debate about how 'difficult' moves acutally are. For somebody who's just learnt the weave the reverse is dead hard. Other beginner do it btb after a couple of days.

Page: