Forums > Social Discussion > Suggestions for the board...

Login/Join to Participate
Page:
DomBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,009 posts

Posted:
When the board migrated to this new version I asked people what functionality they would like. The response was great, although I couldn't do everything everybody asked for. Anyway, I'd like to ask that question again, so:

What functionality would you like integrated into this community?
Anything that you've seen on other boards you think might benefit HoP?
Anything that annoys you about the board at the moment?

All suggestions and ideas are greatly appreciated. Please post your suggestions here or PM me.

Thanks! smile

NYCNYC
9,232 posts

Posted:
Hrmm... yes, there is a range in difficulty but I do believe that some sort of system is better than none at all.

There's just a lot of brilliance in the Poi Moves section that goes unread by most because people don't understand/take the time.

I'd even like to see some definitive articles. Obviously there are altering opinions but it'd be nice to see some constants. The problem with 'just doing a search' is that there is often discussion.

Example:
I'm an intermediate spinner who wants to learn what a waist wrap is. If you do a search, you'll find several articles and discussions... and eventually find one or two relevant threads after much fluff. It doesn't seem efficient.

Maybe there should be a distinction between "teaching moves" and "poi moves"... "teaching moves" would be articles posted after the tutorials that are written well by someone who can explain it well with the intent of teaching another who's reading it.

[On a side note, I think there is a contingancy of people out there who DON'T want to make it easy for newbies to learn... which goes against everything I believe.]

Well, shall we go?
Yes, let's go.
[They do not move.]

Big AndyBRONZE Member
186 posts

Posted:
I personally like NYC's idea of skill class forums. Other sites I've been a member of originally just used a FAQ and links, but it only slowed down the repeated questions a little bit, then they continued. A completely separate forum was eventually adopted to help this problem. I think it would help here too. It could also provide for some more in depth discussion in both forums by freeing up some space. Less clutter, more organized.

A FAQ and a "POI Dictionary" would be very helpful, but they need to be in the form of Sticky threads and discussions in the forum itself. Most of the time, when people post a much repeated question about basic poi moves, it seems like they just registered and jumped into the thread before even trying to do any research. While this is annoying to the old board regulars, a FAQ with links won't necessarily stop it (IMO).

I don't like the concept of segregating, but in this case, I don't think it will hurt anything. As long as other HoP-pers are respectful and don't poke fun at the "newb" forum folks. The search function is nice, but you can only lead a horse to water, you can't make him click the search button biggrin ubblol

----------------------------

NEW IDEA

One Idea I had that would make my life much easier is putting a "forum jump" pull down menu on the user main page/control panel/whatever it's called... ya know, the page it takes you to right after you log in that shows your pref's, private messages, favorite threads etc, MY HOME I think, yes that's it.... I hate having to go to the main index and then to a forum after logging in. If I'm missing out on how to do that, let me know, but I really think that would be nice if I could just use the "jump to" function straight from the My Home page.

I'm used to there being a Forum Jump option on practically EVERY page, because that's how the other boards I'm on have it. It's nice. No matter where you are, you can almost always jump to a specific forum. so a thread you were just looking at is never more than 2 clicks away while you're on the boards.

"We can't stop here! This is bat country!"

"Welcome to the U-S-A,
We'll treat you right, unless you're black or gay, or Cherokeeeeee!!"

-Brian Griffin from "Family Guy" (the dog)

DomBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,009 posts

Posted:
You mean like the Forum jump drop down at the bottom of this page and the option in your profile Home page, under Edit Display Preferences to select the option of "Main Index" under "When you login do you want to go to your My Home or the main index?"
wink

Big AndyBRONZE Member
186 posts

Posted:
HAHA, yeah, I thought about that. But I like going to the My home page after logging in.

Oh well, lol.

"Welcome to the U-S-A,

flidBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,136 posts

Posted:
Quote:

How about an option to receive a SMS when someone replies to your intro

you're a comp sci student, you could write a bot to do this smile

Big AndyBRONZE Member
186 posts

Posted:
I thought of another important one!!!

Change it so we can edit our posts more than 24 hours after the post is submitted. I screwed up some code in a post a while back, and got really really mad when it wouldn't let me edit it a DAY LATER!!! That's just ridiculous, IMO. What is that supposed to help anyways? If someone continues editing one post and nobody's paying attention, it's just that one members wasted time. Unless editing takes up too much bandwith, wich doesn't make much sense.

Sorry, i know this thread has pretty much died, but's an important change that I would love to see!!!

I'd also like to second the motion that the "QUOTE" button should automatically add the [ i ]Originally posted by ______[ / i ] and then automatically put [ b ] and [ / b ] around the text of the quote. I've just gotten used to it that way on so many boards, including the old HoP board (as few times as i actually posted).

"Welcome to the U-S-A,

DomBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,009 posts

Posted:
You should be able to edit posts any time afterwards - it was one of the changes I made just after the change over. My test user seems to be able to.

pounceSILVER Member
All the neurotic makings of America's lesser known sweetheart
9,831 posts

Posted:
ya you can edit posts indefinately. not sure why you couldn't andy

I was always scared with my mother's obsession with the good scissors. It made me wonder if there were evil scissors lurking in the house somewhere.

Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons for you are crunchy and good with ketchup.

**giggles**

spritieSILVER Member
Pooh-Bah
2,014 posts

Posted:
I just thought of another one...

When we do a search, could it tell us how many responses it found? It would be nice to know how many pages of stuff there will be to filter through so we can guesstimate how long it might take.

Thanks.

DomBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,009 posts

Posted:
In case anyone was wondering what I'd done with all your suggestions - I haven't ignored you all! I've done a lot of work on an update of the board that'll opefully be uploaded soon. As far as the board functionality goes it's nowhere near as big as change as last time - so don't worry! It does allow us to do some things slightly different, and cooler and more exciting things, including a lot of your suggestions, a calendar, threaded PMs ... actually the list of tinkerings little and large is quite long.

For now I have done a few things to the live board, but I don't want to do too much as it's not really worth the time.

Some of you may have noticed that I've changed the search and active topics pages to not list every post, but instead list threads.

And I've modified the Graemlins and post icons - which I reckon I'll get most PMs and posts about! Yes, there are more Graemlins coming in the new board.

Any questions, you know where I am!

SpitFireGOLD Member
Mand's Girl....and The Not So Shy One
2,723 posts

Posted:
well drats! the biggrin doesn't have such a big smile any more!

The angel looks...scary too.

More graemlins are a good thing though....but...can we also have some of the old ones as well as the new ones?

(yeah...thought I'd be the first to post about it and be a pest about it. wink )

Keep up the good work, Dom. biggrin

Solitude sometimes speaks to you, and you should listen.

PyrolificBRONZE Member
Returning to a unique state of Equilibrium
3,289 posts

Posted:
Id really like a function that allows me to turn avatars off. I find them generally useless, and annoying, and since Ive been connecting at 33.6k I'm really noticing the increase in page load time.

thanks,

Josh

--
Help! My personality got stuck in this signature machine and I cant get it out!

simian110% MONKEY EVERY TIME ALL THE TIME JUST CANT STOP THE MONKEY
3,149 posts

Posted:
erm... i think the new graemlins suck
(sorry dom)

despite the fact that most of them have been changed to yellow, they now look much less uniform thanks to the 'odd' ones drawn in a totally different style

the angel has lost it's "who? me?" faux-innocent look and many of its previous uses are now a bit nonsensical. look at it. its like a stoned mogwai with a combover ubbangel

and whats with the big fat love smiley? ubblove
not only is it totally different to all the other ones, its also got a really nasty white border. and why change it from the perfect old one?

this guy now looks really camp ubbrollsmile

and this one seems to suggest that all angry people are japanese mad

and why change them at all? adding to them i could understand...

i do like these ones though: redface beerchug cool umm wink

(To anyone who's about to say:"well, graemlins aren't important", i would reply that i see them as far more intrinsic to communication on the board than any of the other minor modifications discussed in this thread. Just because they're icons rather than words doesn't mean that they are any less important in conveying information. Quite the opposite. When you change the icons, it's like taking words out of a language and replacing them with different new ones.)

"Switching between different kinds of chuu chuu sometimes gives this "urgh wtf?" effect because it's giving people the phi phenomenon."

3,149 posts

Posted:
wicked changes on the other stuff though, particularly the search smile hug

"Switching between different kinds of chuu chuu sometimes gives this "urgh wtf?" effect because it's giving people the phi phenomenon."

DeepSoulSheepGOLD Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
2,617 posts

Posted:
Thanks Dom!!! beerchug

Quote:

! the doesn't have such a big smile any more!

Yea, I gotta say I really think the old biggrin is one of the best smileys's I've ever seen.

Any chance of a *shrug* smiley? I find myself shruggin a lot and would love a way of expressing it...

I live in a world of infinite possibilities.

DomBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,009 posts

Posted:
OK, they're a work in progress and I'm going to make changes based on suggestions.

Why change them?
They were looking a bit old and plain, espically as there was a mix of different styles on the board. So I've unified the post icons and graemlins I many cases the change is a bit of shading, with the same mouth and eyes of old.

DuncGOLD Member
playing the days away
7,263 posts

Posted:
Yeah this ubbangel is lame. Such a little change for such a big difference!! Bring back the old cutie angel smilie please! Oh and bring back old Mr Rollsmile as he used to look happy, now it looks....well....like a baby being pushed over!

hug is cool, cheers!

wave is a little lame compared to the oldie. This one is much better
Non-Https Image Link

Can we have more spinny emoticons please? Perhaps a staffer and a juggler to join the weave dude? weavesmiley

oh and a final one, biggrin doesn't seem happy enough. It needs a bigger smile on its face!

L8rs Dom,
the other sh1t is da bomb
Do what we ask please
And you'll get one of these! hug kiss

Let's relight this forum ubblove

mechBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
6,207 posts

Posted:
Quote:

Do what we ask please
And you'll get one of these! hug kiss

dom

gets a hug no matter what he does!

cheers dom, all teh update look good to me man! hope your not killing urself working on them, i owe you a biccie!

laterdays

Step (el-nombrie)

3,149 posts

Posted:
eek yay to speedy changes smile

my rolling smiley is decamped! ubbrollsmile

and my angel has regained it's innocence! ubbangel
(he still looks like a mogwai with a comb-over though... ubblol )

and i really like the new hug'n'beer smileys
hug beerchug

DomBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,009 posts

Posted:
Right, I'm asking for trouble here, I know, but I've just added a new popup to the Graemlins panel and they're buggy [image]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif
[/image] working on it!

3,149 posts

Posted:
do ya reckon Cole's gonna be annoyed that everyone gets to use his juggla now? juggle ubblol

Those are ace

is this one for me? soapbox

thankx Dom biggrin
EDITED_BY: Døm (1082473570)

colemanSILVER Member
big and good and broken
7,330 posts

Posted:
yes, i am going to be slightly annoyed.
but more happy cos i don't have to put it in as an image every bloody time now wink

i do want the old hug one back though (it wouldn't go amiss and i say if anywhere needs two hug smilies and a grouphug smiley, its hop).

hug to dom for his continuing hard work on our favourite forum hug

"i see you at 'dis cafe.
i come to 'dis cafe quite a lot myself.
they do porridge."
- tim westwood

DuncGOLD Member
playing the days away
7,263 posts

Posted:
Dom ur a star
That's what you are
We owe you tons
For updating our emoticons

Yeah for the rollysmillie ubbrollsmile

Whadya thunk bout it guys? grouphug *whisper whisper*

It's unanimous! thankx clap biggrin

sunbeamSILVER Member
old hand
1,032 posts

Posted:
i didn't see the work-in-progress smileys as I haven't been on HoP for a while

but i must say dom you truly truly rock (as you well know) and i heart the new tongue angel2 excl grouphug bye's

sunny sunny sunny I feel so privileged to have a smiley all of my own wink! sunny sunny

clap hip hip hooray for dom beerchug

"I don't take drugs. I am drugs" - Salvador Dali

sunny

Tao StarPooh-Bah
1,662 posts

Posted:
i want a smiley that says 'yay!'. that would save me a lot of typing.

and one that looks really shifty like it just said something rude but no one heard, one of those too.

I had a dream that my friend had a
strong-bad pop up book,
it was the book of my dreams.

pounceSILVER Member
All the neurotic makings of America's lesser known sweetheart
9,831 posts

Posted:
ya i didn't see the work in progress smilies as i was absent from the boards that day (i know, don't die of shock). but i do like the new graemlins. i'm with bug though on the waving smilie....i like that one he posted a lot too. ooh, and the butt wiggle one is cool too. but it's all good, i know where to find em if i want to post em, just takes a little less laziness ubblol

I was always scared with my mother's obsession with the good scissors. It made me wonder if there were evil scissors lurking in the house somewhere.

Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons for you are crunchy and good with ketchup.

**giggles**

DuncGOLD Member
playing the days away
7,263 posts

Posted:

Non-Https Image Link

arsnHow do you change this thing???
1,903 posts

Posted:
I would really like it if only the person who started a thread could and would be able to change the title of a thread... I think this could stop people from being being confuddled confused from changing thread names...

I can't hear you... I have a banana in my ear.

"You mean I'll have to use my brain?... but I use staff!!!" ~ ben-ja-men

DomBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,009 posts

Posted:
That's something that a number of people have asked for - but also a lot of people like it. Balance of opinion seems to be that it shouldn't be editable.

arsnHow do you change this thing???
1,903 posts

Posted:
*Crosses arms and pouts...* Poopie... rolleyes

How about if the person who first started the thread has the chose to allow if the thread can be renamed or not... like when you select new topic, it could have a button to allow renaming or not?... maybe... rolleyes

I can't hear you... I have a banana in my ear.

"You mean I'll have to use my brain?... but I use staff!!!" ~ ben-ja-men

Page: