Forums > Technical Discussion > Making homemade beginner's poi?

Login/Join to Participate

AmanitaSILVER Member
157 posts

Posted:
Can anybody recommend methods for making beginner's poi?

I want to get a set from the online shop sooner or later, but I want something to hold me over until then..
I'm looking for something affordable, safe, and fairly decent looking, NO fire just yet. It will be a long time before I'm ready to take that step eek

Are there any materials I should seek out or avoid? Safety issues with homemade poi? Any advice will be appreciated:)

"Do not meddle in the affairs of Tower Cranes, for you are soft and would look better when squashed by a full concrete bucket"

MikeIconGOLD Member
Pooh-Bah
2,109 posts

Posted:
There are 2 very easy, cheap and good sets you can make. First are sock poi. Get a pair of the longest tube socks you can find. Stick a pair of tennis balls inside them and voila, sock poi.

For the other set, you need two tennis balls and a length of rope. Tie a knot in one end of the rope. Cut 2 slits into each of the tennis balls (opposite sides) and slide the rope through the tennis ball so that the knot goes inside and holds the ball in place.

I personally prefer sock poi because they are versatile, look good in the day time, and have a great feel when swung. Also, if you ever want to increase the weight of the poi, just insert any number of coins (evenly) into the tennis balls until they are the right weight.

Hope that helps, good luck.

Let's turn those old bridges we crossed into ashes.
We'll blaze a new trail,
and torch the rough patches.

-Me

MasiSILVER Member
resident spelunker...cave bugs!!!!
152 posts

Posted:
The beginner's set I made put me back $5 but has the feel of store bought beginner's poi.

I've put up instructions on how I created my set here

Birthday Countdown:

ubbrollsmile 23 in 106 days ubbrollsmile

DuncGOLD Member
playing the days away
7,263 posts

Posted:
socks socks socks socks socks socks socks socks socks socks socks socks socks socks socks socks socks socks socks socks socks socks socks socks socks socks socks socks socks socks socks socks socks socks socks socks socks socks socks socks socks socks socks socks socks socks socks socks biggrin

Let's relight this forum ubblove

SkulduggeryGOLD Member
Pirate Pixie Crew Captain
8,428 posts

Posted:
Written by: Dunc

socks socks socks socks socks socks socks socks socks socks socks socks socks socks socks socks socks socks socks socks socks socks socks socks socks socks socks socks socks socks socks socks socks socks socks socks socks socks socks socks socks socks socks socks socks socks socks socks biggrin

Yes but dunc you forgot the balls balls balls balls balls balls balls balls balls balls balls balls balls balls balls balls balls balls balls balls balls balls balls balls balls balls balls balls balls balls balls balls balls balls balls balls balls balls balls balls balls balls balls balls balls balls balls balls balls balls balls balls balls balls balls balls biggrin

Feed me Chocolate!!! Feed me NOW!

nativeSILVER Member
sleeping with angels
508 posts

Posted:
yeah well you forgot the (edited do to content) ubblol

SLEEP WITH ANGELS muckieha

onewheeldaveGOLD Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,252 posts

Posted:
My recipe for sock poi-

standard white sports socks (ie not extra long; give them a few quick stretchesto lengthen them.

Put some water into a balloon, knot it, then fill another balloon with the same amount. (The actual amount depends on how heavy you want them to be, it's generally less than you think you'll need, but get plenty of balloons and experiment till you find your ideal).

Put the ballons in the socks and stretch/spin them fast, to get them a bit longer.

They're excellent for all poi moves from the basics to stuff like throws/catches/one hand stuff, are very soft when you hit yourself, and I've never had a set burst (though it's obviously going to be a good idea not to leave them on your hi-fi/tv).

"You can't outrun Death forever.
But you can make the Bastard work for it."

--MAJOR KORGO KORGAR,
"Last of The Lancers"
AFC 32

Educate your self in the Hazards of Fire Breathing STAY SAFE!

ammreSILVER Member
37 posts

Posted:
something i learned while making hand strengthning balls, stick one balloon inside another than fill them with desired fluid (or flour, sand, or rice, flour might be too dense and hurt a but more). If you use the double balloon method it makes them safer to smack yourself with without breaking.. you don't want to mess up a move and soak yourself...

that which yeilds is not always weak.

DuncGOLD Member
playing the days away
7,263 posts

Posted:
Yeah I wouldn't recomend water, as useful as it is the one day youre out and about playing and one balloon bursts you'll be gutter you can't fill it up till you get a new ballon again. Lentils are good, soft, plentiful and cheap. Other similar items are just as good so long as they don't have sharp pointy bits that can put a hole in the sack, you don't want that, beleive me, it takes like 4 weeks to heal although does look cool afterwards wink

Let's relight this forum ubblove

onewheeldaveGOLD Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,252 posts

Posted:
I've never had a sock poi water balloon burst; if it's a worry then these are so dirt cheap and easy to make that it's no problem to make and carry a spare set (that's a good idea anyway as you never know when the opportunity to introduce a beginner to spinning will arise).

"You can't outrun Death forever.
But you can make the Bastard work for it."

--MAJOR KORGO KORGAR,
"Last of The Lancers"
AFC 32

Educate your self in the Hazards of Fire Breathing STAY SAFE!

vanizeSILVER Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,899 posts

Posted:
make two minature hangman's nooses, and string up a couple small stuffed animals (I use whinny the Pooh and Piglet too). attach to some practice chains and you are done.

-v-

Wiederstand ist Zwecklos!

mechBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
6,207 posts

Posted:
i think you might find this thread usefull?

[Old link]

Step (el-nombrie)