Loose Feetmember
3 posts

Posted:
Just a little rambling but, if you let go of poi and catch them again does that make you a juggler?

BirdGOLD Member
now available in "advanced"
6,086 posts

Posted:
first thing that popped into my head:

POIGGLING!!

erm..... i dunno whether it would be considered juggling or not!!

* looks expectantly at HoP's resident jugglers*

I can do the letting go of my poi, but can't seem to master the catching bit yet - I had one of my beamers in the pond the other night!!!

eek

My state of mind is not yours to define!

There is a very fine line between "hobby" and "mental illness."

DuncGOLD Member
playing the days away
7,263 posts

Posted:
funny you should post about this....I've just been practicing throws and I did both continuously round my arm and kept going for 4 straight throws the changed hands so it was like waeaving. I thought then that it might be similar to club throwing but with socks. (not that I actually know any more than jack about juggling...I know I know, I should do rolleyes) but is it juggling? Not sure really....I think piogling is the best explanation!

Let's relight this forum ubblove

thorFlaming Lesbian
181 posts

Posted:
most people actually consider staff, poi, and club to be juggling arts.

i can't juggle more than 3 balls, but i can firedance like.. well, a crazy naked white guy swinging flaming balls.

do people actually throw fire poi, or just the maori haka or tube sock variety?

Lights dancing off my skin as chains wrap round it.
Pain is in a little box and I'm so glad I found it.

MikeGinnyGOLD Member
HOP Mad Doctor
13,925 posts

Posted:
Quote:

i can't juggle more than 3 balls, but i can firedance like.. well, a crazy naked white guy swinging flaming balls.

Now you're turning me on... ubblol spank ubbrollsmile

-Mike

Certified Mad Doctor and HoP High Priest of Nutella

A buckuht n a hooze! -Valura

DuncGOLD Member
playing the days away
7,263 posts

Posted:
Quote:

Quote:

Now you're turning me on... ubblol spank ubbrollsmile

I thought it sounded like it hurt quite a lot!!
L i g h ni n g !!! tut tut...take yourself off to the cold shower please rolleyes tongue

Let's relight this forum ubblove

[Nx?]BRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,749 posts

Posted:
yes, poi is juggling, even without throwing. in the same way diabolo is.

the reason we get a percived diffrence, is cos juggling is sooo not cool, and fire stuff is. tongue

T wave

This is a post by tom, all spelling is deleberate
-><- Kallisti

DomBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,009 posts

Posted:
The answer is: yes, no, maybe and "it's juggling anyway".

Depends who you ask as some jugglers define any object manipulation involving skill and a performance focus as 'juggling'.
Others are adamant that juggling is maintaining 3 or more objects in a constant pattern involving 1,2 or more objects constantly in the air. Hence devil stick, diablo, contact, poi, staff etc... are not juggling.

End of the day - it doesn't really matter.

onewheeldaveGOLD Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,252 posts

Posted:
On a recent thread on poi and juggling on the IJDb forum I asked what they considered juggling to be. Many said it involved thrown and caught objects- this would mean that diablo and devil stick would be classed as juggling, but most poi wouldn't, unless the poi were released.

Others considered juggling to be thrown objects where there is always at least one object not in the hands.

For me, I think the latter is most useful because it allows us to distinguish ball/club juggling from other arts like diablo, poi and devil stick.

I don't see the advantage in referring to all these arts as 'juggling'- it covers too much stuff, and, if they're all juggling, how do we refer to 3 ball cascade etc? Also, once the definition is slacked off to this extent then a game of tennis could be referred to as juggling?

My preference would be to use the 'at least one object in the air'/'at least one more object than hands' type, with the additional requirement that the objects be 'thrown', rather than sprung off a spring (diablo), off a handstick (devil stick) or released (in the way that poi are in releases).

"You can't outrun Death forever.
But you can make the Bastard work for it."

--MAJOR KORGO KORGAR,
"Last of The Lancers"
AFC 32

Educate your self in the Hazards of Fire Breathing STAY SAFE!

MikeIconGOLD Member
Pooh-Bah
2,109 posts

Posted:
I dont consider all that stuff juggling. I think anything where the main focus of the act is the throwing/catching of objects is juggling. With poi, the main focus is the spinning even if there are a few tosses mixed in there. You COULD juggle poi if thats all you did but to call poi spinning juggling is like calling baseball juggling.

The only reason other such activities have been classified as juggling arts is because they all take the same hand/eye coordination to master and are usually displayed together (such as a circus or other performance art show.

Let's turn those old bridges we crossed into ashes.
We'll blaze a new trail,
and torch the rough patches.

-Me

oliSILVER Member
not with cactus
2,052 posts

Posted:
poi is poi

no matter if you spin them or juggle them or use them as slippers. they are still poi, so its ok.

Me train running low on soul coal
They push+pull tactics are driving me loco
They shouldn't do that no no no

RadzynSILVER Member
HoP Star Wars Aficionado
183 posts

Posted:
Mmmm... poi slippers... sounds warm!

~Love is a snowmobile racing across the tundra and then suddenly it flips over, pinning you underneath. At night, the ice weasels come.

[Nx?]BRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,749 posts

Posted:
silly argument!

as for the throwing multipul objects thing, whyfore is contact juggling so named?

object manipualtion thats not a sport or a job, innit.

oxford says: "perform feats of dexterity, esp. by tossing objects in the air and catching them." note 'especially' not 'exclusivly'.

T wave

This is a post by tom, all spelling is deleberate
-><- Kallisti

MillenniuMPLATINUM Member
Hyperloops suck
595 posts

Posted:
Quote:

do people actually throw fire poi, or just the maori haka or tube sock variety?

Of course! I quite regularly throw my fire poi, but only in outdoor locations with enough room around me in case of a mistaken release tossing it in to flammable objects/flammable people. It's quite a rush catching a 5+ rotation throw thrown 20+ feet in the air, and having people go "...Whoa." It's also a great way to convince casual observers that it is NOT just spinning things in a circle.

DomBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,009 posts

Posted:
Quote:

poi is poi

Yes, poi is poi. Technically the spinning 99.9% of us do is not poi. I have a pair of poi and was shown the basics of how the Maori use poi and understand it a bit. But as I'm not doing the dance and story behind it it's still debatably not poi.

On a regular basis I spin and manipulate suspended weights. So I believe we need another name. Spinning is too general as covers staff, clubs, etc... and 'fire chains' doesn't cover what I do. hmmmm confused

onewheeldaveGOLD Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,252 posts

Posted:
Quote:

Quote:

poi is poi

Yes, poi is poi. Technically the spinning 99.9% of us do is not poi. I have a pair of poi and was shown the basics of how the Maori use poi and understand it a bit. But as I'm not doing the dance and story behind it it's still debatably not poi.

On a regular basis I spin and manipulate suspended weights. So I believe we need another name. Spinning is too general as covers staff, clubs, etc... and 'fire chains' doesn't cover what I do. hmmmm confused

Maybe we should petition Malcolm to change the site name to 'HoMSW' (Home of Manipulated Suspended Weights)
smile

"You can't outrun Death forever.
But you can make the Bastard work for it."

--MAJOR KORGO KORGAR,
"Last of The Lancers"
AFC 32

Educate your self in the Hazards of Fire Breathing STAY SAFE!

peaches**86943thats sooooo not where i parked my car...................
198 posts

Posted:
welllllllll..............ummmmmmmmm.maybe.............nope sorry wouldnt have a clue its all the same and it all looks wicked to me

we cant stop here its bat country!!!!!!!!!!!

oliSILVER Member
not with cactus
2,052 posts

Posted:
Quote:

Maybe we should petition Malcolm to change the site name to 'HoMSW' (Home of Manipulated Suspended Weights)
smile

ubblol ubblol ubblol ubblol ubblol

DeepSoulSheepGOLD Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
2,617 posts

Posted:
Quote:

On a regular basis I spin and manipulate suspended weights. So I believe we need another name. Spinning is too general as covers staff, clubs, etc... and 'fire chains' doesn't cover what I do. hmmmm

I'm all for Bender's "Fwirlage" suggestion. cool

I live in a world of infinite possibilities.

simian110% MONKEY EVERY TIME ALL THE TIME JUST CANT STOP THE MONKEY
3,149 posts

Posted:
To verb "to fwirl" is to fire twirl innit? And i've always thought of it as foremost a staff term, that also includes poi and meteors and spinny stuff.

i don't like calling poi poi at all. Cos thats only acknowledging the maori variety of suspended weight swinging, which bears very little relation to what i'm doing when i spin "poi".
And as discussed before, it's not as if the maori people had a monopoly on the idea of swinging two weights on the end of a rope. For example, Chinese double rope dart stuff and Filipino double yoyo both developed independently.
also, the plural is the same as the singular which is always annoying.
also, i don't like monosyllabic words in general.
also, i don't want people to mishear me and think that i like swinging boys.
also... no, i think i've run out of reasons now...

When people asked what my poi were called, i used to say "balls on string" but now i say "balls in socks" smile

We could contract suspended weight swinging to -
"Suspweiswinginen"
which is intriguingly Scandinavian to pronounce ubblol

"Switching between different kinds of chuu chuu sometimes gives this "urgh wtf?" effect because it's giving people the phi phenomenon."

oliSILVER Member
not with cactus
2,052 posts

Posted:
Quote:

the plural is the same as the singular which is always annoying.
also, i don't like monosyllabic words in general.
also, i don't want people to mishear me and think that i like swinging boys.

i like the fact poi is plural and singular, means you can be vauge...
i like monosyllabic words, they are easy.
i like the fact people get confused about, poi, boy etc..

DurbsBRONZE Member
Classically British
5,689 posts

Posted:
On a technical (and probably wrong) note:
Aren't the props "Poi" and the spinning of it the art/dance of poi?
As in "Poi" isn't (technically) a verb?

So we don't actually Poi - we spin poi.
So you can thrown them, catch them (hopefully), spin them, swing them, hide them up trees and possibly teach them to fetch your slippers.
You'll never be "doing poi" - you'll be using poi....

This is probably bollocks wink

Burner of Toast
Spinner of poi
Slacker of enormous magnitude

DeepSoulSheepGOLD Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
2,617 posts

Posted:
No acutally your on to something there.

So that means that PIP is quite literally when a couple of pairs of poi go and hang out in a park?

I live in a world of infinite possibilities.

spherespinnermember
38 posts

Posted:
Hey there... smile

Just a quick note... I have thought about this a little bit.. having lived and grown up in NZ and learned poi through school and then seen the "poi" that occurs in europe and the UK.. there is rapidly growing a loss of what I would consider more traditional maori poi... and I find this a little sad. What I now see .. with the hyperloops.. isolations.. wraps etc.. bears very little resemblance to the flowing more tight wristed weave based movements I associate with our style of poi. I love both styles of poi.. and do a mixture.. but it is almost like the more 'new' style should be called something else!?? But then... who knows..... maybe poi is just poi.. but I think you need to come to NZ.. see a maori poi exhibition and then decide for yourself... I have never seen a poi thrown in any maori poi shows. The most beautiful poi I have ever seen done is by my maori friend.. who swings with grace and body movement that is lovely to behold.. but the most impressive poi I have seen is by people in the UK like bluecat.... interesting differences...

weavesmiley

smile
Start chasing dreams.... one day u may catch them..