Forums > Social Chat > stereotypes of British??

Login/Join to Participate
Page:
--AuRIaN---member
69 posts

Posted:
After havin seen the responses to the topic - 'stereotypes of americans', i'm interested to know what u all think of us british folk???!

Morganemember
102 posts

Posted:
right u are cat
GB is one of my most favourite places to be...now if i forget about starting up twirling and cancel beer for about 3 months i might even be able to afford a trip...it's been gasp 2 years!!!
*bangs head against wall*
must go to GB must go....
Morgy

Out to Wrong Rights and Depress the Opressed.

miss_rummageSILVER Member
63 posts

Posted:
all i can is that before i jumped on a plane from nz and came over to london my impressions were:
geezers
skinny, white paisty boys
dreary coronation street
awesome parties.

and yes its all true,

of course not forgetting.....
adidas shoes.
big gold hoop earings.
yorkshire pudding
betting stores: (on every corner)
good party scene
cheap drugs
queues, everywhere at the bank, postoffice...
red phone boxes,post boxes and buses, which i think its pretty cool
pubs galore
the queen
a long long long winter

i could go on........

[ 18 April 2002, 21:01: Message edited by: kealaigh ]

stay smilin

bassjunkiemember
24 posts

Posted:

If music is the expression of emotion, politics is merely the decoy of perception.I sing with fire.

bassjunkiemember
24 posts

Posted:

Well Cacboy,

What I hate about the UK is their love afair with crappy little old cars.
Why, when you can buy yourself a lovely little toyota, would you fanny around scraping your knuckles every 5 mins when it breaks down.
I mean the Mini, rubber bungs for suspension, cheap and nasty design 30 years ago and people still drive round in them!
Then they used the same engine to put in a 'sports car' the MG's of the 60-70's were born, piss poor build and not actualy sporty at all.

Jaguar, TVR and Aston know what to do...
Small cars, leave it to Japan.

If music is the expression of emotion, politics is merely the decoy of perception.I sing with fire.

catboymember
167 posts

Posted:
oh yeah fish-fetish!!!... well at least my car doesnt have furry seats which shock the s#*t out of my girlfriend everytime she gets in or out of it!.....

and,... and,... and,... oh bugger it, Im off to buy a furd ka-rap so i can fit in with everyone else's ideals!....

no wait,... what if I just get another hooot-hatch?! that would be OK wouldnt it?... ...I mean as long as it doesnt have tiger stripes and a whale tail!

you can take the cat out of the jungle, but you cant take the jungle out of the cat

catboymember
167 posts

Posted:
yeah, we do have all those other things further up the list kealaigh... sorry its not like NZ, but...

adidas > rules (trainers not shell-suits)
good parties > yep!
cheap drugs > hence massive queues at the banks!
cat

you can take the cat out of the jungle, but you cant take the jungle out of the cat

bassjunkiemember
24 posts

Posted:
Well Cacboy,
Seems like I touched a nerve there!
Spent a lot of time broken down at the side of the road have we?
under the bunet covered in oil when you could have been out twirling with friends eh?

I have individuality (the full fake fur interior) and reilability at the same time along with cheap insurance and running costs.

As for the tiger stripes, I wouldn't know, youre from essex arent you? you must be the authority on them then.

Another bad thing in the UK is that all the tv prodramd are docusoapflyonthewall rubbish. Not only that but they are all gloomy and depressing.
American tv may be crap but at least its happy and colourfull.

I'm just getting bitter now arent I?

catboymember
167 posts

Posted:
if you like american junkola tv, Ill video some for you when I go back over there at the end of July!!!!!! haa-haa!

yes have to say, I am going back to the slightly more boring, but considerably more reliable modern hatch soon.
dont think i fancy the fur!... I could do with an ear bleeder stereo like yours tho'

oh and please dont go round telling people Im from essex ol'chap, its oxford dont you know...
see you at the boat-club after work?!

[ 19 April 2002, 00:36: Message edited by: catboy ]

bassjunkiemember
24 posts

Posted:
Having said all that...

We have one of the fer police forces left that don't carry guns.
We have forced half of the rest of the planet to speak our language.
and we did win the world cup in 66'...

Hang on, I was trying to go for positive points...

Never mind.

dibs_starmember
603 posts

Posted:
Hmmm, I think we british are a bit pathetic to be honest. I'm quite embarrassed sometimes to be a brit. We're far too lazy, and leave everything to everyone else.
Much rather be an aussie. Hmmm....Australia. Does someone wanna take me?....................... (Don't all jump in there too quickly)

Can miles truly separate us from friends? If we want to be with someone we love aren't we already there? If there is someone willing to show, and there is someone willing to see; magic happens. This is whem humans are alive. This is when the wingless fly.

TheBovrilMonkeySILVER Member
Liquid Cow
2,629 posts

Posted:
I'm going to have to leap to the defense of classic british cars.

it's a testiment to how well built they are that they're still running now, I drive a 1969 Morris Minor - it handles better than almost any car I could have got for the same money, the insurance is cheap, the running costs are cheap and it's got bucketfuls of character.
It does, however, let you unlock and start it even with the key upside down and only halfway into the lock, so it's not very secure, but thats not really of any consequence is it?

[ 19 April 2002, 02:01: Message edited by: TheBovrilMonkey ]

But there's no sense crying over every mistake. You just keep on trying till you run out of cake.

catboymember
167 posts

Posted:
I should have defended them too... i am a classic car nut and am currently driving a 67 midget... bass-junkie was just trying to pi$$ me off as he is sitting right opposite me...

DomBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,009 posts

Posted:
Yeah, nobody of sound mind, or even really unsound mind, would steal a 1969 Morris

The 1966 World Cup! When will English men please shut the f**k up about only winning some irrelevant tournament nearly 40 years ago. Actually can they just shut up about sport in general please and actually get off their fat, lazy, white asses and actually do some exercise.

Dibs, I'd offer, but thankfully I'm not Aussie. Maltese is probably as bad as English, but at least Malta is warmer and this summer I'll be doing a bit of powering about in a speedboat soaking up the sun and lying in my hammock in the courtyard. Can't wait!

bassjunkiemember
24 posts

Posted:
Dom,

I actualy agree!
I hate football and the idiotic culture that surrounds it. I was just having a laugh as most of the people that surround me turn into loonies at least once a week when those 22 blokes chase after the bag of wind on the TV.

Fortunately when these events occur, myself and Catboy usualy go out to the park and amuse ourselves with poi and parafin.
There is life other than football... Hoorah!

CassandraFroggie ... Ribbit !!!
4,224 posts

Posted:
I like football ...
We're world champions

::running to hide behind a tree::

"I want brown bread... no, that is diesel oil..."
"So I was raised in Europe, where History comes from ..."
"NON !!! La Plume de mon oncle n est pas Bingibangibungi !!!"

TwirlyVicnorthern monkey
235 posts

Posted:
right, i have dual nationality and its hard sometimes to admit i am half british (cringe) but it can be fun!

i'm guilty of alchopop dancing and wearing trashy clothes to clubs, but only certain types of clubs. otherwise i'm extremly classy. i think its a bit harsh to blame wifebeaters on ladettes, i mean come on!! do we force their handds?

my BIG complaint about britain though is their regional narrowmindedness. Okay so we explore, we're interested in stuff but we have a really bad of habit of attacking our own homegrown traditions.

and why do we all apologise for being british??

vic xx

p.s. i have something really horrid to admit... you know those godamn BAR OZ theme pubs?? Well... my dad kinda... you know... oh the shame... invented them.... (dies)

ex-hop-aholic, now inconsistent lurker...

Bertmember
2 posts

Posted:
Yo Janga,
Tracked u down at last... half a bottle of voddy did the trick... see u have strong thoughts about the girls of today, is that coz u aint gettin any or wot? Seems like the rantings of someone that aint gettin any... nofinks changed ;o)
Anyway, wacky place to find ya but dont surprise us.... get in touch coz i miss the "good ole times" ... we ad a laugh eh? Still in contact wit any of the old gang...? Last I saw any of u woz Rowan on Who Wants to be a Millionaire... engaged to some twat that couldnt win any decent money.. oh well.
Miss our adventures, suppose getting a bit old 4 it now but still like to endulge occaisionally... the brain can only handle so much now tho!!
So get in touch. Miss the times we ad in Lancaster, especially as time seems to go faster the older u get... bitch that innit! Seems like a distant memory now, but a good one...
Tried to find u as a DJ / Musician but obviously aint made the big time... peraps u should go back to the shagger 4 some lessons off clair....? ;o)
Still in touch with any of the old crowd?? Would be nice to see wot everyone is upto.. woz always shite at keepin in touch / storing contact details..doh.
Get in touch soon,
Later,
Bert
PS I dont reckon girls of today are gettin enough, mainly coz I aint on the Mainland to give it... unlucky girls!!!!!!

Bertmember
2 posts

Posted:
PS: Janga, yer link aint workin.. call yerself a programmer ...? Sort yer website out!

KyrianDreamer
4,308 posts

Posted:
**I'm going to be an american**

just warning you guys. you know, i was looking at some of these replies, and i thought, "yay, someone else hates football.." and then i thought "god, it's obviously late cause you just read a thread on HoP and thought they meant american football...." and then i had to laugh because i love football (soccer, to me) but here in America we don't care about it... just our dumb american football... and i should have gone to sleep a few hours ago, i hope i'm making sense!

Keep your dream alive
Dreamin is still how the strong survive

Shalom VeAhavah

New Hampshire has a point....

Hook's baneWill bite you (unless you tickle behind my ears)
188 posts

Posted:
I dont like American Football. I think it's cruel. Forcing those poor dumb animals to run up and down in the name of sport......

...tick tick tick....

Fire Wiremember
26 posts

Posted:
Ok having read all the above generalisations, I am mildly upset. Actually thats a mega understatement. I would consider myself an out and out brit girl. I have lived for 12 years overseas and having come back to the UK I am soo relieved to be back. Our gals here are the bestest and for those who say we are all mingers.... try https://www.facelink.co.uk/b41729
No comments about minging girls then please!! And besides hasn't anyone noticed the state of continental/european men if we are gonna generalize?? Anyway just me having a post p*ss-up shout and sorting out of the world!! Ignore me......

ses xxxxx

Fire Wire''Fire is the all consuming element, let it consume you.''

CassandraFroggie ... Ribbit !!!
4,224 posts

Posted:
Fire Wire, don't get too upset. As you can see in the title it says "stereotypes" o this thread can't be serious. At least I never took any of the current "stereotype" threads seriously .
A stereotype is by definition *mainly* false and yet there are a few things to learn about it.
Don't get too upset.
And the British girls i've met so far were shiny lovely girls.
I mean, the stereotype of a french is that we are snobish, rude, we stink and ...
Well... OK, it *is* true... but... eer..

Gotta go

shine on
cassandra

[ 21 April 2002, 07:12: Message edited by: Cassandra ]

"I want brown bread... no, that is diesel oil..."
"So I was raised in Europe, where History comes from ..."
"NON !!! La Plume de mon oncle n est pas Bingibangibungi !!!"

RoziSILVER Member
100 characters max...
2,996 posts

Posted:
Actually having a rather serious worry about the Brit stereotypes at the moment. I am a pom living in Australia. I have what would be considered a "nice proper English accent" (in reality it is only because my grandma sent my mum to a christian girls school where they tried to "turn them into young ladies", as such my mum could never get out of the habit of correcting her daughters pronounciation of words... I digress) & I have been known to use big words, just cos I do, its not deliberate.

But I keep on hitting this thing where Aussies think that I think they are stupid. It happened again this week. It gets worse cos I actually think I am not all that smart, so I have to explain myself, & say what I do know and what I don't. However all they hear is me saying what I do know in "a posh accent" with heaps of big words. So they think I am looking down on them. It has happened since high school with the "you think your sooooo superior don't you?". Actually, I don't.

It has happened with friends, partners & work mates. All Aussies.

It is a right royal pain in the arse. It goes along with people looking surprised at me when I swear, just cos I have a pommy accent.

(mild temper tantrum coming...) I hate it, I hate it, I hate it!!!

There, glad I got that off my chest...

R.

It was a day for screaming at inanimate objects.

What this calls for is a special mix of psychology and extreme violence...

DomBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,009 posts

Posted:
Rozi, know where you're coming from.

When we moved to the UK it was to the poshest part of the country, and I was sent to a posh school (that I escaped after 2 years). So got a posh accent. I think people do tend to assume you're a sterotypical stuck up posh git who thinks they're better than everyone else. Only way to get round that is for them to get to know you. You shouldn't have to completely change how you speak just to make people more comfortable.

However, as stated by people before, a posh english accent does wonders in some countries like the US.

SpiralOolering Man
729 posts

Posted:
Just because I was born on this lump of rock, in this certain geographical location, does it mean I'm British? And if I dont consider myself British, does that mean I'm left out when I hear people saying us or you Brits. The fact is I don't consider myself British, or English or anything like that. hmmm. Interesting. WHere does nationality become nationalism. I'm not having a rant, I've enjoyed reading these threads. I just spent to much time with my head in a book about exitentio-phenomenolgy last year, so things like this intrigue me. And to proove I'm not no old party pooper or ought like that, heres my own contribution. The english suck because all you hear them tlak about (in my family anyway) was how great the world was when we owned it.

SimosBRONZE Member
enthusiast
384 posts

Posted:
Your link doesn't work FIRE WIRE!!!! (...and i was really excited about seeing some nice pics of good-looking brit girls! Am i the only one who tried to have a look i wonder!)LOL
Simos

Trickymember
33 posts

Posted:
Whoa, easy people, why is everyone dissing all the beautiful English women?

Where are you guys looking?
LOOK at what you seeing, don't just see what you are looking towards!

Open your eyes people, to the great English eye-candy.

TrickySmile at a stranger!

Page: