Forums > Videos > getting the most out of premier

Login/Join to Participate

ben-ja-menGOLD Member
just lost .... evil init
2,474 posts

Posted:
so this is how i go about compressing footage before putting it on the net, my personal view is that high res copys are the way to go with a good quality sound track

so the first thing is selecting what settings you are going to use throughout the project, it doesnt really matter that much what u choose just so long as you are consistant. ive played round with a couple of different ones and currently im using DV - PAL Standard 48kHz which has the following video settings

Frame Size 720 x 576

Pixel Aspect Ratio D1/DV PAL (1.067)

Frame Rate 25

Depth Millions

and audio

rate 48000 format 16 - stereo

we want to keep these settings (or which ever ones you choose) through the rest of the project. we can check the project settings by going to

project/settings viewer

as for a codec divx is pretty universal and is very customisable if you go to

export timeline/movie

then click on settings

on the top left drop down box click on video the select divx as the compressor and click on the configure button.

then change the encoding bitrate accordingly.

mmmm yeah thats about the extent of my knowledge of adobe from playing round if ppl would like to add more tips and tricks thatd be great

EDITED_BY: ben-ja-men (1079447099)

Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure. It is our light, not our darkness that most frightens us. We ask ourself, who am I to be brilliant, gorgeous and talented? Who are you NOT to be?

colemanSILVER Member
big and good and broken
7,330 posts

Posted:
you are an absolute star biggrin

many thanks for this - it will reduce my 'fumbling about with no help file' period considerably hug

"i see you at 'dis cafe.
i come to 'dis cafe quite a lot myself.
they do porridge."
- tim westwood

ben-ja-menGOLD Member
just lost .... evil init
2,474 posts

Posted:
no worries i look forward to seeing ur vids biggrin

Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure. It is our light, not our darkness that most frightens us. We ask ourself, who am I to be brilliant, gorgeous and talented? Who are you NOT to be?

Bender_the_OffenderGOLD Member
still can't believe it's not butter
6,978 posts

Posted:
My preferences are different - i want to spread the joy to as many people as possible.
that to me means lowest requirements for playback.
i like to produce to half that resolution to mp3 sound and to mono (i don't create much of a stereo effect with firetwirling)
premiere pro also allows for realtime editing and more-than-bloody-two timelines! woot! plus it's exporter's not tarded.

why premiere 6 has NO out-of-the-box MP3 encoding of sound is an idiotic omission, cosidering that DIV-X encoded movies i has (albeit mostly illegal copies of movies) have audio that are almost always encoded in mp3.

Also, my favourite masking/alpha colour for the blending of 3D Rendered sequences is black (cus green dun match my socks baby)

I finally have a decent vid production set up but no Paris Hilton yet frown

Laugh Often, Smile Much, Post lolcats Always

FrodoBRONZE Member
old hand
1,092 posts

Posted:
me just got hold of premire pro!! and it rocks!!

set the stuff up like ben-ja-men said.. and it seems to be going well!!

smile

passing through, this world still lives.

ben-ja-menGOLD Member
just lost .... evil init
2,474 posts

Posted:
so this is fairly simple but it stumped me for a little bit hope it helps

how to cut out bits u dont want

in the timeline window u have an arrow dashed square, a line with arrows either side and a razor on the top line. click on the razor and itll let u cut stuff into bits and to change back just click the arrow

intro pages

click file/new/title
type whatever u want save it then drag it into the video 1A track
if u want to overlay it on the video put it in video 2
when u play it through it wont show it if its in video 2 and theres footage in video 1 so to see what it looks like u have to hold down alt and click on the timeline

ben-ja-menGOLD Member
just lost .... evil init
2,474 posts

Posted:
*bump for cole* biggrin

colemanSILVER Member
big and good and broken
7,330 posts

Posted:
Written by: ben-ja-men

Frame Size 720 x 576

reading this all back, that bit there may be the bit i overlooked...

will attempt a quick render tonight and see what i end up with.

thanks again mr 'jammin hug2

cole. x

"i see you at 'dis cafe.
i come to 'dis cafe quite a lot myself.
they do porridge."
- tim westwood

mechBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
6,207 posts

Posted:
thats still quite a large file if you ask me

esp if you are adding pitures text and titles to it

what i would say is that that res is for svcd, so look fomr maybe the next size down

or two steps donw and you will still have a good video size wink

Step (el-nombrie)

ben-ja-menGOLD Member
just lost .... evil init
2,474 posts

Posted:
*bumped for jed*

Mr ChutneySILVER Member
Tosser
1,712 posts

Posted:
Havinf done quite a bit of playing with editors recently, i have to say I wouldn't touch Premier these days; its going to be Sony VEGAS from now on smile

strugzBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,964 posts

Posted:
good choice chutters biggrin

ubbrollsmile

"...We don't stop playing because we get old, we get old because we stop playing......."

bluecatgeek, level 1
5,300 posts

Posted:
mmmmm vegas.

Holistic Spinner (I hope)

glennerooprofessional loser
140 posts

Posted:
Must agree with Chutney in terms of serious PROFESSIONAL productions, Vegas and AVID are worlds ahead, but also thusly a bit more complicated for the non-techie. Premiere is already quite a bit more complex than, say, ULEAD or Pinnacle for the "normal" user.

Anyways wrong place to start a discussion of WHICH tool to use... some other bits of information with regards to Premiere...

Here's the official HOW-TO export DivX in Premiere with lovely screenshots and such:
https://www.divx.com/divx/windows/codec/guides/premiere.php

Though i would recommend AGAINST DivX format as it requires the end-user to install the DivX codec (or use VLC to play - requires no codecs and plays almost EVERYTHING!) If your target audience is solely HoP people, maybe that's OK... but if you want the rest of the world to download it... read on!

Instead, pick something that EVERYBODY already has! Namely Quicktime and/or WMV. WMV has the advantage that every Windows user can watch it (~85% of the world). Mac users need to install VLC (for playback) or Windows Media Player for OS X. Same with QuickTime as well, all Mac users have it but Windows users need to install (crappy) QuickTime player (or VLC). Flash is a 3rd alternative and has the highest saturation on both platforms... almost everybody has Flash installed (except some Linux peoples) so if you want to go all out and cover ALL your bases, get ESA's free Flash Player plug-in for your web-page (https://components.earthscienceagency.com) and get a free flash converter and then let people watch online (like YouTube) and give them the option to download in QT / WMV formats if they want to watch on their computer.

If you wanna this with Premiere, go to File > Export > Adobe Media Encoder. There you will find different defaults for exporting in both WMV and QT formats.

Firstly notice up top the FORMAT option. Select Windows Media (for WMV) or Quicktime.

Then pick a PRESET. I find the default presets almost never to be what i end up wanting but it also depends on how big of a file you want (or can) let people download. I agree with Ben about PAL 720x576 format.. ALL of my videos are in this quality and its absolutely beautiful and blows away these puny other vids you see out there. Basically it's the quality at which DVDs are made with (even though your TV only shows at 1/2 the quality... sorry another discussion wink

Try some of the presets out... IMHO the only one for WMV that looks decent is WM9 PAL download 1024 which has 640x480.

Try that and see how it looks.. if the size is still low, try upping the Frame Width/Height to 720 and 576 respectively and don't forget to set Pixel Aspect Ratio to 1.067 !! (read below for more info) Audio settings are plenty fine.

As for QuickTime, there are many QuickTime codecs available, but i haven't found a decent free codec that will allow at least 640 x 480 with a minimal size... my favorite (from VJing) is Photo JPEG with quality set to 75... for the internet more like 30-60 but that may also be too big! You will have to experiment a bit to find a decent size, and you may have to stick to a nasty size (320 x 240 with Square Pixels 1.0) to get something respectable. I can tell you now, forget everything except Sorenson 3, H.264, MPEG-4, Motion JPEG (a or b doesnt matter) and Photo JPEG.

Just as a note.. the Pixel Aspect Ratio should be set depending on the Frame Width/Height (resolution) you have chosen. If you are using a 4:3 size (i.e. computer sizes like 320 x 240, 640 x 480, 800 x 600 you will want to pick Square Pixels as this is what is shown on your computer. Your TV has different aspect ratio, thus why PAL/NTSC DVD sizes are different and have different Pixel Ratios (1.067 and 0.9 respectively) so 720 x 576 should be D1/DV PAL (1.067)

fotography: glenneroo.net
filmography: glenneroo.org

Bender_the_OffenderGOLD Member
still can't believe it's not butter
6,978 posts

Posted:
wmv makeths me weep most openly - but you're dead right, it's much more widely supported than div-X.
all hail div-x!

Laugh Often, Smile Much, Post lolcats Always

DurbsBRONZE Member
Classically British
5,689 posts

Posted:
Hail Div-X!

umm

Burner of Toast
Spinner of poi
Slacker of enormous magnitude

YakumoSILVER Member
veteran
1,237 posts

Posted:
xvid's a better codec than divx, is completely free, and anyone with divx or xvid installed should be able to play the video's it produces.

premier is a PITA to use and still crashes at the worst possible times.

I won't try to claim vegas is bug free, but it's totally lush in comparison, and very easy to pick up for starters.

Blinded by Hyperlights, please donate generously grin

glennerooprofessional loser
140 posts

Posted:
I would say that comparison is really very subjective.

From all the hundreds of threads i've read about the comparison, using default settings (i.e. what most people here will be doing) DivX is usually a little faster at encoding/decoding than XviD and XviD quality tends to be a LITTLE (i.e. not noticeably) better at the default settings. If you want to tweak the settings then some enthusiasts claim to achieve better results with DivX. Funnily enough though, these change all the time as every release seems to tweak some of the default settings enough that it's hard to say what's better.... just too many possibilities.

Personally i've been using both for the last 4 years, and i tend to always end up sticking with XviD (even though i paid for it) mainly because its FREE and also because it's open source. DivX is only free for the PLAYER, but if you want to encode your movies you gotta pay $29.99!

fotography: glenneroo.net
filmography: glenneroo.org