• All Purchases made this month instantly go into the draw to win a USD $ 100.00 credit to your HoP account.

Page: 12
Mr_Jedly
GOLD Member since Jan 2004

Mr_Jedly

Total posts: 195
Posted:Hi all!

When I was new to these forums I was trying to learn all these cool new moves that i didn't even know existed(thanks everyone!:D). But, many moves seem to have more than one name & some of the terminology used is completely foreign to the new person...confused I thought it'd be a good idea to compile a list of terms used & what they mean. NOT how to do the move, just what it is. Everyone knows what a weave & butterfly is, but what about a buzzsaw? hyperloop? nexus? hyperlooped butterfly? How do i Invert something??? what's the difference between airwrap and hyperloop? ubbloco

I had some trouble learning all these & would assume other people had trouble too... Here's my list of terms used around the place:

Parallel Time = Spin both poi in the same direction & parallel.

Follow/Alternating Time = (sometimes Split Time) Spin 180 apart, same direction.

Butterfly/Synchronous Time = Spin the poi in opposite directions. they cross at top & bottom.

Split Time = Spin in follow time, but poi go in opposite directions. See Split-Time Butterfly Below.

btb = behind the back

ttn = Thread the needle

btl = between the legs

bth = behind the head

ww = waist wrap

bf = butterfly

wall plane = Face a wall. spin the poi parallel to the flat of the wall(wall plane is a type of outer plane).

Side planes = Spin to your sides - Perpendicular to the wall plane.

Ceiling Plane = Spin parallel to the ceiling - perpendicular to side planes and wall plane.

Outer/Outside Plane = Planes facing away from each other , as in 3 beat weave.

Inner/Inside plane = Spin the poi between one arm and your body or head. - Refers to a body position.

Inverted Plane = Planes facing each other, from the fingertips. Sometimes used to describe spinning between the arms. eg:Buzzsaw.

cross follow = weave = chase & follow

split-time butterfly = Same as butterfly, but poi heads cross at 3 and 9 o'clock instead of 6 & 12.

Wrap = Poi wraps around a body part in some way.

Recoil Wrap = Wraps around a bodypart, stops & unwraps in the opposite direction.

Thru-Wrap = Carry-Over = A wrap that doesnt stop & change the direction of the poi. eg: start to wrap your arm, then pivot your body/arm so the poi unwraps without stopping.

Inside = Sometimes spinning between your arms, or between one arm and your body/head(depending on move). Also, described where your fingers face towards each other, but point in opposite directions(buzzsaw). - your wrists are apart.

outside = Spinning away from the body. eg: hands are between body and the poi. Also, described where your fingers point away from each other(point in same direction)(weave) - your wrists are together.

reverse = Circle your arm in the opposite direction to the rotation of the poi.

Invert = To "Invert" something, you turn it upside down. Or, turn inside out.

pirouette = Turn 360 while doing a move.

Atom = Spinning in different planes. To "Atomise" something.

Throw/Release = Throw the poi.

Reel = Alternate spinning on one side of your body to another. eg:Mexican wave(see HoP lessons). Also used for parallel time wall plane spinning.

Spider = Spin in follow time anywhere(eg: a weave).

Pull through = Pull the poi so it cuts off half a circle.

Stall = Stop the poi from moving.

Carry = When the poi is transitioned over more than one plane in only one beat. for example behind you wall plane on the left side to behind you wall plane on the right side with no beat infront of you, just a carry across. - [Nx?]

crosser = spinning with arms crossed to opposite sides

Orbital/Maxi+/Tangled Buzzsaw = Spin in Inverted plane in follow time between your arms, but the chains are tangled so one is tangling and the other is untangling => seemingly no change while spinning one.

Longarm = Spin the poi at the full extension of your arms - with your shoulder at the centre of rotation..

Flower = Smaller circles in larger circles. eg: Do a giant butterfly & stop your arms at various intervals & spin a smaller circle around your hand. can be done in paralell, follow time, splitime or butterfly. Each small circle looks like a petal of the flower.

Seperation = Spin so your hands aren't next to each other. eg: Flower is a form of seperation: your hands are not next to each other while doing the move.

Extension = Spin a larger circle, or, to 'extend' something eg: an airwrap - hold it for an extra circle(or more).

spiral = Any move where the poi 'spiral' from a larger circle to smaller circle, or, smaller circle to a larger circle. Mostly used for what is also known as handcuff wraps, poi wrap around the hands held together spiraling down to the hands and then tugged to spiral back out again. dosnt necessarily have to be the hands or both hand together, can be done butterfly or weave.

Isolate/Isolation = The centre of the spin is in the middle of the chain(so your hands move in a circle around the centre of the chain, at the same speed as the poi head.)

Powered Isolation = The centre of rotation is closer to the poi head.

Lazy/Half Isolation = The centre of rotation is closer to the handle.

Full Isolation = Like an isolation, but if you have the speed of a mongoose, the poi become the centre of the spin & don't move, while your hands rotate around. Currently, only one spin is possible doing this before it falls apart...

Buzzsaw = Spin in the inverted plane in follow time.

Tangle Buzzsaw = As above, but the chains are tangled - neither winding or unwinding. Can be held as long as the poi have momentum.

buzzsaw butterfly = face 90 degrees to the wall plane. the butterfly spins in the wall plane, but between(Inside) your arms. i.e. one arm on either side of the butterfly.

Butterfly Hyperloop = Do Buzzsaw Butterfly then tangle chains. bring them outside then inside again on other side of body.

Flaming Halo = Do an airwrap/hyperloop/tangle behind(or above *scary* ) your head.

nexus = created when the chains "tangle" eg: in a hyperloop/airwrap.

Construct/Helix = Some utterly Jedi idea that very few people know.

Trinity = A way of spinning moves. eg: Draw a big triangle (with angles of 60) on the ground & stand inside it. Spin in the planes parallel to the sides of the triangle. So, when you do a weave in trinity, if you turn three times in the same direction you end up in the original plane & have turned around once. Go here for a proper decription:

http://www.homeofpoi.com/ubbthreads/show...part=1&vc=1

airwraps/Hyperloop = The chains of the poi cross & tangle to form a smaller circle spinning faster than previously. This is about as detailed as possible right now as there are many different opinions on what the difference between these are. Poll coming soon?

notcoleman5 = Haven't found a clear description of this. Like a buzzsaw weave, but different? 5 beat weave with buzzsaw added in the middle?

I am fairly sure all these are correct. If there are any errors please let me know so I can fix it up! It's not in any sort of order... I might have to do that later. Have I missed anything? If there are also other names which mean the same thing, please let me know!

This isn't meant to be an official move list, just a list of terms used to DESCRIBE moves. It's hard to describe moves using text without a video or a person infront of you & hopefully these terms can be understood by everyone to make learning easier!

Enjoy! smile

EDITED_BY: raghkyre (1080885858)

We don't stop playing because we grow old,
We grow old because we stop playing.

Delete Topic

joulz

joulz

enlightened

Total posts: 187
Posted:i havent been folowing this thread from the beginning and my eyes are gonna bleed from reading all u guys write but i did it but since i cant reply to all of waht u guys say ill reply to the first thing said

Quote:
Inside = Spinning between your arms, or between both arms and your body(depending on move).
outside = Spinning away from the body. eg: hands are between body and the poi.

seems to me like your insisde thing is a buzzsaw but maybe your own version of it but i dont understand waht your deff of outside and many others u state
and umm if your a newb like u say.. u shouldnt worry bout the teminology until u can do the move itself umm

it must be green

Delete

duballstar
SILVER Member since Sep 2003

duballstar

slack rating - 9.5

Total posts: 2216
Posted:you can bring weaves inside your arms on a fountain or turn at the top or bottom...

It is our fantasies that make us real. Without our fantasies we're just a blank monkey' - Terry Pratchett

Delete

Mr_Jedly

Mr_Jedly

Posted:Joulz, i've changed the inside/outside definitions to incorporate Arashi's definitions. I've kept the previous ones because i have seen them described as this somewhere else.
The buzzsaw is spun in the inside plane.
The definitions i've given in the first post are NOT moves (except for a couple, eg: flaming halo/flower), but are descriptions of ways to spin.
Anyone can be given poi & spin inside or outside or stall the poi or spin in longarm.
it's combining these basic things that create moves. But if you dont understand the basic text descriptions, how can you learn from these boards?

Inside = Sometimes spinning between your arms, or between one arm and your body/head(depending on move). Also, described where your fingers face towards each other, but point in opposite directions(buzzsaw). - your wrists are apart.
outside = Spinning away from the body. eg: hands are between body and the poi. Also, described where your fingers point away from each other(point in same direction)(weave) - your wrists are together.

and... no i'm not new at poi, i'm new to these forums. When i first came here i read some of these posts & had no idea about the moves that were being described - i've only spoken to people about poi & never 'chatted' about it. When i understood all these terms i found many moves/tricks i could allready do, and others i couldn't, which made it all the effort.
It took me many hours to find out what all these meant & i hope by putting this list here i can help others so they don't have to spend hours trying to understand like i did.

Delete

joulz

joulz

enlightened

Total posts: 187
Posted:your new to this board but u certainly love to write
i ahve a feeling youll be staying in the comm for a while

it must be green

Delete

Mr_Jedly

Mr_Jedly

Posted:*Bump* for the new peoples.

Delete

spiralx

spiralx

veteran

Total posts: 1376
Posted:Oh, the notcoleman5 is a 5bt buzzsaw weave BTW.

"Moo," said the happy cow.

Delete

Richee
BRONZE Member since Jan 2002

HOP librarian

Total posts: 1841
Posted:
What is a HELIX?

POI THEO(R)IST

Delete

DeepSoulSheep
GOLD Member since Sep 2002

DeepSoulSheep

Carpal \'Tunnel

Total posts: 2617
Posted:I think it's an airwrap.

I live in a world of infinite possibilities.

Delete

oli
SILVER Member since Jul 2003

not with cactus

Total posts: 2052
Posted:Written by: Richee

What is a HELIX?

Written by: raghkyre

Construct/Helix = Some utterly Jedi idea that very few people know.

so i reckons thats not an airwrap. but other than here ive never heard of it. so your geuss is as good as mine.

Me train running low on soul coal
They push+pull tactics are driving me loco
They shouldn't do that no no no

Delete

Dentrassi
GOLD Member since Apr 2003

Dentrassi

ZORT!

Total posts: 3044
Posted:a helix is a mathematical shape like DNA. never heard of it in context of poi before.

have heard an airwrap called a NEXUS by dantana, but no idea bout at helix.

"Here kitty kitty...." - Schroedinger.

Delete

DeepSoulSheep
GOLD Member since Sep 2002

DeepSoulSheep

Carpal \'Tunnel

Total posts: 2617
Posted:Actually I was thinking about a Nexus which is what Dantana started calling airwraps.

Maybe the Helix is a name someone decided to put on swinging outside the box (or trinity as Arashi calls it). rolleyes

I live in a world of infinite possibilities.

Delete

oli
SILVER Member since Jul 2003

not with cactus

Total posts: 2052
Posted:well i have no ideas really, but i dont think raghkyre thinks a helix is the same as trinity, cos hes got trinity defiened up there.

Me train running low on soul coal
They push+pull tactics are driving me loco
They shouldn't do that no no no

Delete

Mr_Jedly

Mr_Jedly

Posted:As you can see above i don't know what a Helix is confused
To make this I scoured the boards for any terms I saw used around the place & I saw helix used in a few threads, but couldn't find a clear description.

Delete

Julie2022

Julie2022

Total posts: 145
Posted:Ok - two things I couldn't figure out from the list (though the list is quite helpful)

what's a wibble?

And this move that I do to change direction: butterfly > giant butterfly > (this is the part that has no name) then long arm the poi, paralell to the ground, away from you and then in close to your body. In kind of a "off ramp to the interstate" sort of way, when you bring them out of the "ramp" then they're going in the opposite direction.....so - what's that called?

"I'm your Huckleberry."

The muse spake her thought and then there was silence. Thy spiked tongue had melted, only a bitter heart remained.

Delete

Drudwyn

Drudwyn

Forget puppy power, Scrappy's just gay

Total posts: 632
Posted:The Nexus is the point at which the poi meet during an air wrap/hyperloop. So where they hit, that's the Nexus...

And what you do there kinda sounds like the way I go from a weave to a corkscrew, simply by forcing the poi to change planes. I have no idea on its name, if it has one!

Spin, bounce, be one with the world, because it is yours to enjoy...

Delete

Julie2022

Julie2022

Posted:lol! then I'll name it if no one comes out with something in a day or so.

"I'm your Huckleberry."

The muse spake her thought and then there was silence. Thy spiked tongue had melted, only a bitter heart remained.

Delete

Drudwyn

Drudwyn

Forget puppy power, Scrappy's just gay

Total posts: 632
Posted:The poi change planes, follow a smooth pattern then go back to the first plane, but in the opposite direction. What do you reckon, the 2022?

Spin, bounce, be one with the world, because it is yours to enjoy...

Delete

TheWibbler
GOLD Member since Apr 2003

old hand

Total posts: 920
Posted:A helix is the shape the poi move in most of the time, it's the path made when you spining e.g. a vertical circle and then move the center of the circle from side to side (to make a cylinder), but i'e not heard of a particular move being called a helix. But in any move where the poi goes form one plane to another it does so on a 'helical' path.

a wibble is continuous tail tapbacks, ie throw the poi, then tapback the tail, then tapback the tail again and so on. Much more on these on my site.

m

Spherculism ~:~ The Act of becoming Spherculish.

Delete

mr squirrel

Total posts: 37
Posted:bring on the wiki man. thats a totally unhelpful statement..... to most poeple tho.... ho hum

did i leave the iron on?

Delete

Julie2022

Julie2022

Posted:I still don't follow you on the wibble - I've seed videos of people chasing them on the ground - is that it?

Hmm - now calling a 2022 might be kind of cool. Lol - But no one would know what it is just from hearing the name, it would have to be something that describes it...like a giant butterfly switch or something like that? Or a giant butterfly 2022 smile That has a nice ring to it, hehe

"I'm your Huckleberry."

Delete

thelost
SILVER Member since Aug 2005

thelost

mmm...i feel all warm and fuzzy... 'no dude, that's your hair on fire'

Total posts: 355
Posted:er, along the ground? that's a new one to me..i thought wibbles were throws where the poi and string/sock rotate round once before you catch it again. confused

It's better to burn out than to fade away

Delete

Richee
BRONZE Member since Jan 2002

HOP librarian

Total posts: 1841
Posted:Can you make terminology words with BOLD?
thanks,
:R

POI THEO(R)IST

Delete

Page: 12