Page:
Dragon7GOLD Member
addict
625 posts

Posted:
Hey.

Your right its taken me over a year to understand all the different words used here.

Ok a buzzsaw is (real simple) just spin the poi between your arms at split time, sorta like a weave, and it sorta looks like a curcular blade. Now the hard part...

Air wraps and hyperloops are :... well there is a dissagrment by everyone here about the difference. Actually they are the same, or very simila moves where you tangle the chains and let them spin ( like a "buzzsaw" as above) and then untangle your chains. eek

There has been no concensus about the difference, but to me... a hyp is when u tangle your chains and the poi spin like the buzzsaw. An airwrap, as i define it, are almost all other ways of tangling your chains. But dont take what i say as true...hopefull were going to set up poll's and get this sorterd for real. beerchug

Butterfly hyp= tangle your chains and do butterfly. biggrin

Hope that helped a little, and luck learning those loops.

Oh yea a hyp is also called a tangled buzzsaw, a maxi +, and afew other that i forgot ubblol

stregAi*member
44 posts

Posted:
yes, all those names are really puzzling and not being an English mothertongue makes it even more complex umm
but people around here are so nice to explain everything whenever you ask them. Thanx everyone hug

I usually happen to find explanations within the single threads.
found loads of useful articles on www.poiinthepark.net, as well.

Now a brand new doubt: what I knew about Buzzsaw is that it consists in spinning poi between your arms, in front of you, like pushing the pedals of a bicycle, but isolating poi. so, is Buzzsaw isolated or is the isolation just something you can do as a variation of it?

wave roscia

"We're all mad here"

The adventures first! Explanations take such a dreadful time...

RevBRONZE Member
Bastard Newbie Messiah
1,269 posts

Posted:
there's another place.. ( I don't know if its cool to refer or not) but it has a compiled list of all the terms.. (not all these) but most every term.. defined clearly.. or at least that's what we are working on...

and as mentioned above the airwap/hyperloops are under debate.. currently I believe they are only similar in that they are tanlges..

airwrap is a static perpetual tanlge.. it stays in this motion that is neither tangling nor untangling.. its just like a tangled buzzsaw.. but you don't know what that is either.. all I can say is in the wall plane have on hand a little further out then the other when you caus the strings to tanlge.. I dunno its hard to describe.. suffice to say that you can do as many beats as you want while holding it.. and it disappear when you move on through..

a hyperloop is an actual tangle... its conical in design as in the shape made by the poi heads from the tanlge out is that of a cone... this also means that the tangle is either winding up, or unwinding depnding on where its at and its direction.. this tanlge involves manipulating the individual poi (i.e. changing which one leads where) in order to carry the tangle to more places.. in other words its a constant manipulating of it to tanlge more here while untangling some there.. until you finally reasch the poit where you want it it end and you just let it unwind completely..

now that being said.. those are just the theory behind those moves.. the acutal moves themselves vary.. there's no base to work from.. just pick one of the two and work with it.. I'd go into more detail, but Im a busy person.. i've done the hardwork..someone can come behind me and clean up the rest wink.. happy spinning..

More useless information courtesy of Rev...
Confusing the masses, one post at a time...
"Obviously, you're not a golfer.."- The Dude
"Buy the ticket... Take the ride..." -Raoul Duke
"FEMA has never done catastrophe planning..."-Michael Brown

RevBRONZE Member
Bastard Newbie Messiah
1,269 posts

Posted:
well I think the concensus is that we need two new terms for the two tangle types.. right now we're at tangle a and tangle b.. lol.. talk about more confuddleness for your clarity... but glad I could be of some help..

DomBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,009 posts

Posted:
Construct/Helix is not a move, it's an idea.

Carry - example is an arc within a waistwrap (an accurate description of a waist wrap is in the waist wrap clarificaton thread) that goes across the body from one side to the other, missing out the central circle that sits in the first pass across the body.

[Nx?]BRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,749 posts

Posted:
yo,

a few things.....

flowers dont happen in weaves, they either happen wall plane (infront or behind) or in side plane, poi swinging at either side. they can be paralell, follow time, splitime or butterfly.

reverse: diffrent from backwards, reverse is about the movement of the arm relative to the poi, so 'normall' is when the arm makes and arc in the same direction as the poi, like a weave, 'reverse' is when the arm moves in a circle in the opposite direction to the spin of the poi. thease can be seen on meenicks reverse flowers.

reel: you def is right in clubswinging terms, but it has also been used to describe parralel time wall plane spinning.

invert: is another name for buzzsaw, i.e. between the arms wheel plane.

inside: is wall plane, between the arms and the body. ie watermill, wich is a windmill done at the bottom between arms and body.

Cary: when the poi is transitioned over more than one plane in only one beat. for example behind you wall plane on the left side to behind you wall plane on the right side with no beat infront of you, just a carry across.

spiral: mostly used for what is also known as handcuff wraps, poi wrap around the hands held together spiraling down to the hands and then tugged to spiral back out again. dosnt nececarily have to be the hands or both hand together, can be done buttterfly or weave.

the whole hyperloop/airwrap/nexus/thingy debate.

bit of a cross continental devide here, they mean opposite things depending on where you are, this has caused muchos confusion. My own personal take is this, and its based of the phenomenon.

Airwrap: any move where the poi tangle (on either outside plane or inside, but not invert, see above) then both poi move to another plane to untangle. This included wheel plane airwraps (called weave airwraps by some) that go from right outer plane to left outer plane, and wall plane airwraps, with go outside wall plane to inside wall plane. the reason they are all airwraps is that the poi do the same thing in each place.

Orbitals: known as tangle buzzsaw, hyperloops (by dan and dragon), airwraps (but only by rev, see above) and maxi +. Orbitals is the glowstringer term and i like it, less confusing as the poi orbit one another. you can go directly into an orbital or come into it from an airwrap. they happen between the arms but not between the arms and the body (maybe this is where the diffrence between invert (between the arms) and inside (between the arms and the body) comes in.)

this means a slight change now, what used to be called a 4 beat airwrap is infact an airwrap with an orbital. Now a 4 beat airwrap is one that tangles on the ouside plane for 4 beats before transitioning.

family name: Loops or Hyperloops.

Like i said, this is my own take on things but i think the least confusing.

a few other terms not covered.

Buzzsaw/invert weave: you know how in a weave each hand does two circles on the opposite side and one on the same side? well a buzzsaw weave has the circle thats normally on the same side in buzzsaw instead.

5 beat buzzsaw weave: simialr but in 5 beat, bit of a debate as to how many beats inside, not going any further untill i can actually do both veriations.

notcloeman5: simialer but the bussaw beat is the 'open' beat of the 5.

straightjacket: register on t0xic's site and then go to here for the video.

crosser: spinning with arms crossed to opposite sides, check out toxics site for more.

T wave

edited for revs post.

EDITED_BY: [Nx?] (1079811272)

This is a post by tom, all spelling is deleberate
-><- Kallisti

[Nx?]BRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,749 posts

Posted:
oh,

sorry, it didnt load revs post before, where he said the complete opposite to what i have about airwraps and hyperloops. Nicly illustrating the problem tho.

we kneed a poll, once peaple have had a good look at this we will start one.

T wave

p.s. yes Rossia, isolation buzzsaw is just a vairient. wink kiss

-><- Kallisti

RevBRONZE Member
Bastard Newbie Messiah
1,269 posts

Posted:
yeah another rev rant

why the hell did I catch slack for misuse of inverted and inner.. I realized I goofed it up on spherec in the inverted butterfly part but I went back and corrected it everwhere else.. ie. inverte between arms (regardless of plane) and inner being between arms and body, and outer being between arms and the world.. RAR..

end another rev rant

ok family name.(airwraps, hyperloop, insert whatever name you wish to call them here). I call them tangles (even though they arne't technically both tangles..) and the way I define tangle as per the family is when the center of rotation is moved form the two hands to a single point.. in an airwrap this is the place that exhibits the funky untangling as it tangles effec t.. in a hyperloop its the tangle.. lol.. and in the (insert whatever name you wish to call them) its at that point..

there was something else I was going to put here.. not related to tangles.. but alas... that was 5 minutes ago and this is now.. so I guess its time to stop living in the past and move on.. hehe..

GlåssDIAMOND Member
The Ministry of Manipulation
2,523 posts

Posted:
Arise sir draghkyre - I now knight you:

the librarian on Poi tongue biggrin

seems like a worthy title, and I'm happy to give it to you, I've done with that job

sorry, i don't have time, or this week inclination to do this properly, hope that the quickly typed mess below makes some sense, bounce back the ones that don't. You can have a vote on the defs of certain moves, but I'd prefer if you didn't take a vote on any of the names I made up, its easier to ask me, and then realise I'm talking rubbish. and take a vote

I'll add something else, there an advantage to ambiguousity and bad definitions and misunderstanging and not having videos, it promotes innovation. Nx and I developed loads good stick stuff a couple of years ago because we couldn’t understand each other (NYC- i'm not even going to read your reply to this bit tongue)

carry - what dom said learn a waist wrap and you'll know what it is.

missing:

wheel planes or side planes - self explainitory

ceiling plane - self explainitory

syncronous time = yet another name for butterfly time

alternating time = yet another name for split time or follow time

misleading:

reverse = Spin in the opposite direction than before.

Invert = To "Invert" something, you spin in the opposite direction than before. - no you don't "you turn it upside down" (only for some mores this is

Inverted Plane = wrt above, this is meaningless. although if you want to see an inverted plane watch top gun and "watch the birdy".

if you read more carefully, this was originally a typo by arashi - in the trinity thread [Old link]

he clarifys further down the thread

Reel = nowdays it can be in any time not just alternating. definition got massively broad. reels in their butterfly versions are usually symmetrical.

Longarm = Spin the poi with the shoulder at the centre of rotation, so arn and poi make a straight line

Flower = Smaller circles in larger circles. Basic Flower: Do a weave with 'longarm's. Stop your arms at various intervals during the weave & each poi does a circle around the hand, then continue on with the weave in longarm. Each small circe looks like a petal. Menik defined this one, so go to him for a full definition. but should add that for fountains great circle is in the same direction as smaller circles and in

a flower the great circle (so is actually a small great circle) is in the opposite direction to the smaller circles. tongue

Trinity = ask arashi to define his terms. (trinty was the last peice in the jigsaw puzzle of the spider)

Isolate/Isolation = The centre of the spin is IN THE VERY MIDDLE of the chain.

Powered isolations = centre or rotation is closer to the poi head

Lazy isolations, half isolations or isolations with bad technique = centre of rotation is close to handle

Full Isolation = your def is misleading – what your describing is one of the 2 parents of Isolations it came from and oldskool orange poi london legend called nick, in theory it can only be done well for one beat with poi, (otherwise it’s a way of making vertical lines, not isolations) although can be done in theory perfectly and slow or fast with club swinging

airwraps = poi chains wrap around each other and smoothly unwrap all in the air. One of the 2 origins of tangles that came from the glowstick crowd

Tangles = the firespinners origin of airwraps.

tangle family=airwrap family=Hyperloop family

Hyperloop = an airwrap with the hands making an isolation (1 beat of) and a carry across to the other side of the body. so odd number of beats in the tangle. but coleman had the sense to simplify it to learn it by taken out the isolation and hence 1 less beat, and FAR FAR easier to learn. HLOOPs wrap in the middle of the chain (rather than near the heads with airwraps,) to give you more time to make the carry or the isolation.

12 and 6 o'clock – irrelevant, just an old tool we used to use to teach it

tangle buzzsaw = orbital according to nx above, that make sense, cool name - poi are neither wrapping or unwrapping - can be held in the same place as long as the poi have momentum. i've seen people run these continuous (hi richee) but timing wasn't clean

Notcoleman5- i think is called that cos it was arashi who suggested it- might be worth asking those 2 dudes to clarify

Construct/Helix = smile

Spiral = here you go: https://www.ics.uci.edu/~eppstein/junkyard/spiral.html

ubbrollsmile yawn
EDITED_BY: Glåss (1079907708)

[Nx?]BRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,749 posts

Posted:
yo,

Invert: actually i like having the diffrence, and its not meaningless, specially in the context of tangles, becuase orbatals wont work inside as defined above, they only work inverse. Maybe its a bad name (betweenthearms maybe?) but there is a distinction.

T wave

p.s. just for amusment....

from 'you can go to the ball....'

Quote:

WAIST WRAPS - oldskool clubswinging term, for me the carry defines the wastwrap. lush vaiations btb and butterfly

from above:

Quote:

carry - what dom said learn a waist wrap and you'll know what it is

ubblol spank hug

-><- Kallisti

stregAi*member
44 posts

Posted:
Thanks, thanks, thanks! hug

Even if I I can't join any of those discussions on tangles at the moment, I feel much more stimulated to try and work on them and other stuff now. At least I know what I'm trying to get and what other people are talking about.

I really think you helped a lot of confused spinners.

Indeed, what may happen is even finding out you can do a trick of which you didn't know the name but you were curious about and feel so happy! biggrin (this happened to me with flowers, if they are in a separated weave...?)

wave to all of you, guys.

kiss to the scoiattolo.
p.s. having a "mostro" watching you spinning and advising and smiling to you is much better, tho ubblove

S*

"The adventures first"..."Explanations take such a dreadful time!"

The adventures first! Explanations take such a dreadful time...

simian110% MONKEY EVERY TIME ALL THE TIME JUST CANT STOP THE MONKEY
3,149 posts

Posted:
Glass, your definition of hyperloop is clearly wrong and i don't care that you invented the word.

Robert Louis Stevenson invented the locomotive, but if he suddenly turned up now and said i couldn't call a locomotive a "locomotive" unless i isolated it as he intended, then i'd call him a rude name, such as Robert Pooey Stevenson, probably...

"Switching between different kinds of chuu chuu sometimes gives this "urgh wtf?" effect because it's giving people the phi phenomenon."

3,149 posts

Posted:
Continued...

Quote:

reverse = Spin in the opposite direction than before.
Invert = To "Invert" something, you spin in the opposite direction than before. - no you don't "you turn it upside down" (only for some moves this is

So inverted reverse weave is... the weave?

No wonder i was having trouble learning it... confused

Tangled buzzsaw describes both a body position and the tangle of the poi. When you do a wallplane airwrap with some "tangled buzzsaw" beats in the middle, it doesn't look like a buzzsaw at all (even though viewed from wheel plane it'd be inside the arms)
It'd be nice to have a term for a tangle buzzsaw type tangle wherever it's held.
At the moment Rev and i have tentatively named it tangle B. He also calls it an "airwrap" quite confusingly...

"Switching between different kinds of chuu chuu sometimes gives this "urgh wtf?" effect because it's giving people the phi phenomenon."

NYCNYC
9,232 posts

Posted:
Quote:

Glass, your definition of hyperloop is clearly wrong and i don't care that you invented the word.

Robert Louis Stevenson invented the locomotive, but if he suddenly turned up now and said i couldn't call a locomotive a "locomotive" unless i isolated it as he intended, then i'd call him a rude name, such as Robert Pooey Stevenson, probably...

Ok that makes NO sense. If Robert Louis Stevenson invented the locomotive and you heard the word "locomotive" but didn't know how it was originally defined and said "I'm going to call anything that flys in the sky a 'locomotive'" then you'd be wrong. Period.

But I'm all bark and no bite so don't take me too seriously.

Well, shall we go?
Yes, let's go.
[They do not move.]

3,149 posts

Posted:
aaaaaaaaaaah, but if Robert Louis Stevenson coined the term locomotive, and included in this definition that to qualify as a locomotive the vehicle in question must also be painted green, but this qualification remained unbeknownst to the general public, AND THEN at a later date Robert Louis Stevenson attempted to correct the definition once the definition that did not include greeness had already passed into the public lexicon without him passing comment then i would be justified in calling him Nob-ert Poo-ey Wee-venson would i not???? ? ? ?

ouch, i think i just overextended my metaphor redface

ps: NYC, don't worry, i never take anyone seriously, particularly when they've just said "period" biggrin peace

NYCNYC
9,232 posts

Posted:
Are you calling my mom a train?

mad

Well, shall we go?
Yes, let's go.
[They do not move.]

3,149 posts

Posted:
Oi! Did you spill my nomenclature?

mad

[Nx?]BRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,749 posts

Posted:
Quote:

It'd be nice to have a term for a tangle buzzsaw type tangle wherever it's held.
At the moment Rev and i have tentatively named it tangle B. He also calls it an "airwrap" quite confusingly...

thats what i mean by the orbital term, it aplies everywhere, but seing as they only happen between the arms, (weather thoes arms are widly or barly seperated) i dont really matter.

T wave

p.s. spank da monkey, you got your own tangles thread to get irrelevent on, shoo!

-><- Kallisti

arashiPooh-Bah
2,364 posts

Posted:
outside plane=planes facing away from each other , as in 3 beat weave.

inverted plane: planes facing each other, from the fingertips. one kind of move with inverted planes known as buzzsaw. even if fingertips (or source of chain handle) crossed over, as in inverted weaves, and maxi plus, planes still inverted. i'm going by the "turned inside out" definition of inverted

Inner/Inside plane = Spin the poi between one arm and your body or head. this refers to a body position, like wall plane- as most "inside" moves, are in a "planes" definition, simple outside moves. watermill, yes.

So these are wrong as the frist is just wrong and the second infers outside as a body postion term

Quote:

Inside = Spinning between your arms, or between both arms and your body(depending on move).

outside = Spinning away from the body. eg: hands are between body and the poi.

As is this;
Quote:

nvert = To "Invert" something, you turn it upside down(for most moves).

Costruct: i've talked about i think, these are conicals and isolated conicals in my words

-Such a price the gods exact for song: to become what we sing
-Seek freedom and become captive of your desires. Seek discipline and find your liberty.
-When the center of the storm does not move, you are in its path.

Dragon7GOLD Member
addict
625 posts

Posted:
Hey Arashi, yea sry if i did happen to get the def of the Maxi + wrong. Just 1 Q about that, is it in inside the arms, like tangledbuzzsaw? Or is the maxi+ in the front wall plane... pretty sure... its the 1st one (but all this talk of inverted is confused ) I know inverted is not horizontal (like buzzsaw fliped side on huh).

Please feel free to correct me, because you did name it (maxi+).

GlåssDIAMOND Member
2,523 posts

Posted:
quote me :
"Invert = To "Invert" something, you spin in the opposite direction than before. - no you don't "you turn it upside down" (only for some mores this is "
sorry in the rush to write an epic post, didn't finish this the first bit was partial dictionary def - not about poi.
its an arashi term. what he says.

which reminds me arashi dude: I gotta send you a big PM and some massive **Hugs**. been doing a lot of research on the "teaching moves" epic, and on advanced learning techniques for physical movement.
It boils down to the importance of nailing the basics clean and smooth as . learning technique first and golden paths of progression

spirals = theres at least 5 ways of making spirals, number 1= any wrap. 2-5 = experiment

maxi plus was a joke name for a tangle buzzsaw

arashiPooh-Bah
2,364 posts

Posted:
I know inverted is not horizontal (like buzzsaw fliped side on huh).

inverted has nothing to do with spatial or body position (horizontal, between the arms, etc.) which i only describe when necessary. it is purely a planar relativity reference.

because you did name it (maxi+). no i got this from glass, a tampon joke. but i love tampons(although i prefer sea sponges, they don't have that pesky string to get caught in your tongue stud) and it's the only airwrap description on the whole board i ever KNEW which kind it was.

glass: wait til you see what i've been up to! the ultimate poi instruction. half steppers betta recanize. my students are kicking severe a$$ and i can't wait to share my methods! i'll undoubtably have a good reply for you cause i might just fly my ass there so we can do some cool stuff.

-Such a price the gods exact for song: to become what we sing
-Seek freedom and become captive of your desires. Seek discipline and find your liberty.
-When the center of the storm does not move, you are in its path.

[Nx?]BRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,749 posts

Posted:
*waits*

-><- Kallisti

Dragon7GOLD Member
addict
625 posts

Posted:
Ok sry Glass, my bad. Least thats cleared up. Woohoo.

DomBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,009 posts

Posted:
Quote:

i might just fly my ass there so we can do some cool stuff.

*unfolds sofa bed. puts the kettle on. waits....*

GlåssDIAMOND Member
2,523 posts

Posted:
Hope to see ya again soon dude.
hug

joulzenlightened
187 posts

Posted:
i havent been folowing this thread from the beginning and my eyes are gonna bleed from reading all u guys write but i did it but since i cant reply to all of waht u guys say ill reply to the first thing said

Quote:

Inside = Spinning between your arms, or between both arms and your body(depending on move).
outside = Spinning away from the body. eg: hands are between body and the poi.
reverse = Circle your arm in the opposite direction to the rotation of the poi.

seems to me like your insisde thing is a buzzsaw but maybe your own version of it but i dont understand waht your deff of outside and many others u state
and umm if your a newb like u say.. u shouldnt worry bout the teminology until u can do the move itself umm

it must be green

duballstarSILVER Member
slack rating - 9.5
2,216 posts

Posted:
you can bring weaves inside your arms on a fountain or turn at the top or bottom...

It is our fantasies that make us real. Without our fantasies we're just a blank monkey' - Terry Pratchett

joulzenlightened
187 posts

Posted:
your new to this board but u certainly love to write
i ahve a feeling youll be staying in the comm for a while

it must be green

spiralxveteran
1,376 posts

Posted:
Oh, the notcoleman5 is a 5bt buzzsaw weave BTW.

"Moo," said the happy cow.

Page: