Forums > Social Discussion > A new government for Spain...

Login/Join to Participate

King Of Bongoaddict
522 posts

Posted:
A video recording was handed over to the Spanish media from a supposed al-quaeda source claiming responsibility for the bombings as punishment for supporting the US in its Afghanistan and Iraq ventures.

90% of the country was against the war in Iraq, and in the aftermath of the bombings a quarter of the entire population of Spain took to the streets in protest. Now the Spanish people have shown their repulse for violence by deciding to punish the PP (government in power until now) for going against their wishes and supporting a war they did not believe in, not lusting for more revenge and bloodshed, just calling for justice.

That is what I call real democracy in action. smile

cheers for listening to my somewhat exhillirated rant,

Ben

PS. Would like to hear other opinions on this one, as I also get the feeling I am also fairly biased by recent events.

EDITED_BY: King Of Bongo (1079320919)

Your life is ending one minute at a time...
So live it.

King Of Bongoaddict
522 posts

Posted:
hmmm. I've just been reading about that. I'm not sure whether I agree entirely, its an extremely controversial move- ok, it does send a big message out to the world that Spain did not support the war in iraq in the first place and will probably make people get a move on with holding propper elections in Iraq, but I would much rather it was an international peace-keeping force there than just a US one or everyone pulling out until such a time as the Iraquis are free to govern themselves...

So live it.

simian110% MONKEY EVERY TIME ALL THE TIME JUST CANT STOP THE MONKEY
3,149 posts

Posted:
hmm, first thing that springs to my mind is that it's an immediate result for Al-Quaeda, proving the effectiveness of their tactics frown

"Switching between different kinds of chuu chuu sometimes gives this "urgh wtf?" effect because it's giving people the phi phenomenon."

King Of Bongoaddict
522 posts

Posted:
I thought of that too, but then one can also see it as the Spanish people sending a clear message to the government saying that it was wrong to support the (unprovoked) war in Iraq (without the support of the people) and that the course of action they took brought the terrible consequences it did, for which the PP are therefore partly to blame. The elections were an important step to remedy that situation sending a clear message to the government that the people still rule the country.

It is an immediate result for Al-Quaeda, but is it a good result?
If anything it has toughened people against them, and showed that things like these only serve to unite people against terrorism. I know that sounds all wrong seeing as Spain is threatening to withdraw their troops from iraq. But I found quite an interesting article which outlines a few of the effects of recent events. One of the most interesting things is the bit about a "separation of the war on terror from the war in Iraq". Still thinking about that.

I also heard/read somewhere (will find a link later) that the EU countries are planning a conference to try and increase collaboration between countries against terrorism.

It has also been a wake-up call for the spanish authorities, alerting them to a new threat. They have dealt with the basque terrorist group, ETA, very effectively in recent years, but have neglected other possibilities such as al-queda. Now they can also put their experience and know-how to good use on them too.

I feel I have left a lot of stuff out, but i'm fairly tired and will return when I've had a cup of coffee and mulled it all over a bit more!

So live it.

MikeGinnyGOLD Member
HOP Mad Doctor
13,925 posts

Posted:
I agree with Simian, but more importantly, I think it shows that at least in some parts of the world, representative government still works. And Western Europe is that place. This puts Spain on the map as a true First World Democracy and, I hope, drives home the point to Spaniards that they are no longer one of those 'Poor Four' countries that got jammed in at the bottom of the EU.

Al Qaeda didn't get results. Al Qaeda could care less about Iraq. Al Qaeda could care less about anything. NOTHING could make them stop bombing because that's what they do. All this Islamist claptrap is simply their justification for being megalomaniac murderers, nothing more.

I actually am for staying in Iraq because I feel like we made the mess, so it's our job to clean it up. However, I would prefer that we allow the UN to get in there and help.

-Mike

Certified Mad Doctor and HoP High Priest of Nutella

A buckuht n a hooze! -Valura