Forums > Social Chat > Poi orginated from Japan ??????

Login/Join to Participate

twinksmember
9 posts

Posted:
I just came across a Poi website which says that some people beleive Poi originated in Japan (obviously it would have been called something else!!!!) Does anyone know anything about this. Im interested in finding out because I'm thinging of going to Japan....thanks wave wave wave

MedusaSILVER Member
veteran
1,433 posts

Posted:
Where was the article??? I would love to read it.

twinksmember
9 posts

Posted:
Here is the address https://www.sonicstars.com/sonicstars.html
its just a mention not an article...but I would love any real info about this. I have done a bit of a quick net search but not really found anything to back this up....
wave wave

Bender_the_OffenderGOLD Member
still can't believe it's not butter
6,978 posts

Posted:
hey that be news to me too - I presume that they are entitled to claim that it was originally for wealthy Japanese children if they can substantiate such claims.

please keep us posted.

thanks.
EDITED_BY: bender™ (1079329077)

Laugh Often, Smile Much, Post lolcats Always

thorFlaming Lesbian
181 posts

Posted:
I believe poi originated in Pounce's netherregions, then were sent back in time to the peoples of rapa nui, who taught it to the maori just before they ate eachother... that dosen't mean it's true.

I wouldn't believe everything you read on the internet... especially since google dosen't believe it either ;]

Lights dancing off my skin as chains wrap round it.
Pain is in a little box and I'm so glad I found it.

DentrassiGOLD Member
ZORT!
3,045 posts

Posted:
well, its kindof hard to trace the origin of poi, much as to trace the origin of staff.

the origin person who picked up a stick and try to move it around was probably Urrhgarrrsh of the Ghrrrhdd tribe of what is now called ethiopia, in about 53254BC.

the guy who somehow attached a rock to some dried flax grass or sheep gut and swiing it around to try to hit people probably was a bit later... perhaps 43264Bc, was the Chieft Zzgrraahg of the Moolagabrrggh Clan of what is now called Iraq.

anyone since who had claimed invention for these devices is lying.

[im sure everyone gets my point!]

"Here kitty kitty...." - Schroedinger.

MillenniuMPLATINUM Member
Hyperloops suck
595 posts

Posted:
I'm going with the Pounce's nether reigon thing. From what I hear, it's the cause of and solution to most of life's wonders.

vanizeSILVER Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,899 posts

Posted:
well, ll I can say is the dozen or so Japanese poi spinners I have met, none have claimed poi came from Japan. I have never before heard of any mention of poi originating in Japan.

-v-

Wiederstand ist Zwecklos!

mechBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
6,207 posts

Posted:
Quote:

well, its kindof hard to trace the origin of poi, much as to trace the origin of staff.

the origin person who picked up a stick and try to move it around was probably Urrhgarrrsh of the Ghrrrhdd tribe of what is now called ethiopia, in about 53254BC.

the guy who somehow attached a rock to some dried flax grass or sheep gut and swiing it around to try to hit people probably was a bit later... perhaps 43264Bc, was the Chieft Zzgrraahg of the Moolagabrrggh Clan of what is now called Iraq.

anyone since who had claimed invention for these devices is lying.

[im sure everyone gets my point!]

i would lik eto dispute ur claim ed!

i feel you are very wrong, and oh so not right on this one!

it was not "Urrhgarrrsh of the Ghrrrhdd tribe" it was his mate bob, Urrhgarrrsh stol ethe idea cos it was going mainstream, and he wanted to look cool! wink ubbloco

Step (el-nombrie)

Narr(*) (*) .. for the gnor ;)
2,568 posts

Posted:
DUDE!! how could it possible have been Bob?!?! he had no arms or legs!!!

she who sees from up high smiles

Patrick badger king: *they better hope there's never a jihad on stupidity*

mechBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
6,207 posts

Posted:
WHAT!
SHHHHH now lady!
AGH GTG i have an offical meeting frown

Step (el-nombrie)

flidBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,136 posts

Posted:
ubbidea

screw you all guys. Everyone knows it was me who invents poi, yesterday infact. You all owe me royalties!

Tao StarPooh-Bah
1,662 posts

Posted:
a maori woman at sidmouth festival last year told me this too actually. She said they probably originated about the same time in japan and NZ.

same deal - that it was tought to rich kids.

i don't know who to believe - but there is a similar japanese weapon isn't there? can't remember what it's called - think that girl in Kill Bill except more realistic.

I had a dream that my friend had a
strong-bad pop up book,
it was the book of my dreams.

Red_RaveNGOLD Member
Neo - Hippie
358 posts

Posted:
I dunno... I know devilstick originated from japan or china or somewhere from that region but that was some 500 years ago... I don't think they'd have the ropedart (is this what it's called..?) there when poi was invented by the maori... I think it's more likely that someone brought poi to them and they made a weapon out of it like martial arts masters like to do ; o))

Smile.. It confuses people..:)

Wonders never cease as long as you never cease to wonder.

arsnHow do you change this thing???
1,903 posts

Posted:
Den... Mech... your both wrong... you see back in 53254BC there were still small traces of dinosaurs... and with evolution this would explain some peoples staff style... and so the question of which came first is answered... the staff came before the poi... tongue

I can't hear you... I have a banana in my ear.

"You mean I'll have to use my brain?... but I use staff!!!" ~ ben-ja-men

Bender_the_OffenderGOLD Member
still can't believe it's not butter
6,978 posts

Posted:
even though the events of that movie predominantly set in japan, ima fraid that rope dart is a wushu weapon (Chinese) Gogo Yubari's (sp?) form was consistent (if not 'assisted' somewhat) with some rope dart and nine-section forms (i have no idea what the movement names are) the fact that the dart itself was a round metal mass with a retractable circular blade is where it's simliarity with poi ends.
I'm at work rite now so i can't really look up when these tools began appearing in China.
As for the Japanese source, perhaps someone fluent in Japanese could find the name of poi and search for it(?)
who knows if there's always been a www.poi.jp/badger that had an online community this whole time!

Unfortunately, this debate linger only as speculation without hard facts.
confused

Laugh Often, Smile Much, Post lolcats Always

Dragon7GOLD Member
addict
625 posts

Posted:
Well if anyone had read the book by Ngamoni Huata (which i recomend) you would know the origin of maori poi (By some tribes). And also the establishment of what people call "rope dart". I know, i have a maori 1 made from jade.

As far as japan is concerned, thats not my field, but it would be rather interesting if any body knows the an asian origin (Personally, i think they just took two rope darts, or chain whip).

They are only just names, for things that have been round for ages, and to me it dont matter who invented it. It just seems like people are trying to be better than others by saying "sdfkjgn invented it and thats the true origin" but thats bull$hit, because everyone has their own form, and rite and heritage to it.

Though i do agree whit alot that has been posted so far...

MikeIconGOLD Member
Pooh-Bah
2,109 posts

Posted:
Poi were a Polish invention. We just used them a bit differently... Namely eating utencils.

Let's turn those old bridges we crossed into ashes.
We'll blaze a new trail,
and torch the rough patches.

-Me

LyraSILVER Member
spiny norman
314 posts

Posted:
i totally agree with Dentrassi, you can hardly determine who did it first, like: who invented toast anyways, you simply cant say (blank) was the first one to tie something to a string and swing it around a bit. ah damn, my cat is on the table>>

if you think that our kiss was all in the lips, come on you got it all wrong man, and if you think that our dance was all in the hips then, oh well, do the twist -The White Stripes

arsnHow do you change this thing???
1,903 posts

Posted:
No Icon... that's a spoon...

rolleyes

And Lyra... how do you know if (blank) was or wasn't the first to poi???

I can't hear you... I have a banana in my ear.

"You mean I'll have to use my brain?... but I use staff!!!" ~ ben-ja-men

LyraSILVER Member
spiny norman
314 posts

Posted:
eh?, i don't think i understand the question, please forgive me, but i think i have food poisining, ech!

if you think that our kiss was all in the lips, come on you got it all wrong man, and if you think that our dance was all in the hips then, oh well, do the twist -The White Stripes