Forums > Social Chat > ANOTHER black mark for burleigh!

Login/Join to Participate
Page:
ValuraSILVER Member
Mumma Hen
6,391 posts

Posted:
We will not set foot at a burleigh beats fire twirl ever again. mad mad

Tonight we witnessed three different twirlers spin their staffs into the crowd and one child got burnt. eek eek frown

I ran over with the silverzine cream only to cop a tounge lashing from the guys father who was screaming about a law suit, due to the god awful safety at burleigh "blah blah blah"

Yeah granted he is pissed off about his son getting a staff spun into him. I, as a reasonable parent would be also.

But to go OFF YOUR ROCKER at someone who had NOTHING TO DO with the incident, and is trying to administer first aid to the poor kid is a bit on the nose. The guy who hit the kid, bloody slunk off into the shadows and left!!!! I will refuse to do anymore at this place it is just a waste of time. Noone listens mad mad mad

I have screamed till Im blue in the face about safety at burleigh heads, but everyone calls me and arsn safety nazi's, so there is nothing more that we can do.

I was toying with the idea that I take a huge amount of rope to the park early in the day and section off a huge circle for the spinning and put up a notice saying "no more than 6 twirlers in the circle at any time, failure to comply will result in you being asked to leave. No fire breathing will be tolerated"

But who am I to do that? They would rebel against that really hardcore. People who twirl there are not only just learning ( the quality of twirlers aint that good minus a few) but also DRUNK public who have no bloody idea what they are doing!!! Lighting up in the middle of crowd and walking through the crowd to get to the circle... dripping fuel everywhere... dipping LIT staffs into buckets of kero... fire breathing with kero... Arsn stopped a kid from droping a match into a bottle of kero to 'SEE WHAT IT DID" " cause petrol and kero are different dontcha know?!?!?"

What we really need is buckets of water to be placed at four points of the circle and also fire blankets and at least two fire extinguishers at ALL times...

Im so pissed off. mad

The unfortunate thing is that I was just waiting for an accident. Hopefully people who twirl there will listen and finally wake up to themselves.

Now It has happened, and I feel terrible about it. mad

TAJ "boat mummy." VALURA "yes sweetie you went on a boat, was daddy there with you?" TAJ "no, but monkey on boat" VALURA "well then sweetie, Daddy WAS there with you"

PyrolificBRONZE Member
Returning to a unique state of Equilibrium
3,289 posts

Posted:
Thats really crap. If I were there I'd tell em too. but what difference would it make? These are the people who will/may stuff it up for all of us... mad

sorry to hear about this - perhaps you should consider alerting the authorities to it. Its obviously out of control, and it needs to be brought under control before someone gets more seriously hurt.

sounds like the meet should be dispersed.

Josh

--
Help! My personality got stuck in this signature machine and I cant get it out!

bluecatgeek, level 1
5,300 posts

Posted:
ubbcrying that it should have come to this...

the only thing i can think of is that you apply to some sort of authoritative body to AACTUALLY RUN the event. then you would be within your rights to set rules for it. you certainly have the right to find the guy who burnt the child and ask himm to apologise to the father and child. because that father could very easily get the whole thing stopped if he wants to now. a burnt child; no safety precautions; sounds like grounds for the council to come wading in and stopping it to me....

grrrrrrrr
mad

Holistic Spinner (I hope)

pounceSILVER Member
All the neurotic makings of America's lesser known sweetheart
9,831 posts

Posted:
sorry you've had to deal with that....you have a right to be pissed off. something you said struck me, about you and arsn being called the safety nazis. that just pisses me off. i get the same thing on occasion, and it always bugs me. i was spinning with someone the other day and while setting up, i made sure to get a damp towel on hand. he was like, "you really do safety??" and then kinda made fun of me. and stupid me, i felt like i had to defend my actions! it just strikes me how some people don't even consider safety as an issue. i remember having a conversation one day with another HOPper about the fact that i really wanted to spin but didn't have anyone to do safety for me. we chatted about it, discussed what kind of fuel i was going to use, what clothes i was going to wear, where i was going to spin, and what tricks i was going to do, and decide whether or not i should take the risk to do a spin. and he is a safety nut too and felt i was ok to do a spin based on everything we talked about, and i still was agonizing.

I was always scared with my mother's obsession with the good scissors. It made me wonder if there were evil scissors lurking in the house somewhere.

Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons for you are crunchy and good with ketchup.

**giggles**

ValuraSILVER Member
Mumma Hen
6,391 posts

Posted:
its so damn frusterating. This meet is a public meet, and last night there was over 300 people easily.. The fire circle is about 20 meters by 20 meters and people crowd around it.The circle is waaaayyyy too small. Kids run around in the circle and people drink and get blind and then twirl...

Its just like people dont care! They dont give a stuff about themselves or anyone around them.
The rate of kids going into comas from Firebreathing has risen dramatically all over australia and still people ignore it.
One father was given his 3 year old kid a fire staff and actually turned him around so that he was facing the wind! The fire is then licking up the staff and the kid drops it and starts crying. Five mins later the guy has his kid out there AGAIN and is turning him to the wind AGAIN.

I will call the council today blue and ask if anyone actually runs it.

As much as we love twirling and meeting with the safety concious fireys, maybe its time that this was broken up. Other wise someone is going to get seriously hurt. mad

TAJ "boat mummy." VALURA "yes sweetie you went on a boat, was daddy there with you?" TAJ "no, but monkey on boat" VALURA "well then sweetie, Daddy WAS there with you"

.:* Moon Pixie *:.Carpal \'Tunnel
3,492 posts

Posted:
Valura....

This really saddens me ubbcrying I think creating a fire safety group is definately in order.... I'm not sure if there is any one person who runs it... but I think I could get you closer to the sourse of it's creation... I'll pm you so that you can chat with someone about possible options, or at least express your conserns if you'd prefer to have nothing more to do with the group.

Would you object to having this thread linked to another webpage? It's more drumming based, but has a Burliegh Beat topic section and might help to spread the awareness

I really hope this problem can be overcome...for all of our sakes. I will back you up with anything you need, just let me know. smile

EDITED_BY: .:* Moon Pixie *:. (1079427557)

*:...one day all the fairy fridges will be aligned and my pixie world will be complete...:*

3,492 posts

Posted:
ummm I tried to get a contact through this websight https://www.queenslander.net/users/organic/forum/forum_topics.asp?FID=8
and just started a topic about it, in the hope that someone will reply with some info. feel free to go visit, and maybe post there. it is a drumming based websight, but full of lovely friendly people. peace

*:...one day all the fairy fridges will be aligned and my pixie world will be complete...:*

ValuraSILVER Member
Mumma Hen
6,391 posts

Posted:
angel! Thanks so much for helping
I have no objections of it being posted there at all. I hope that people will realise that this is causing major problems for so many people, and maybe it will help to have more safety for everyone at Burleigh other wise someone might get really badly hurt and I would hate for that to happen ubbcrying
Im going to join the fourum and see if I can get some help from the drummers!! hug I love you Pixie

3,492 posts

Posted:
.:*oh by the way, I'm .:*firefairy*:. on that board biggrin

mechBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
6,207 posts

Posted:
hug

im sorry lady, there is little i can say that hasnt already been said, but im just sorry that a sweet chicken is getting battered and brused over this.

hug sorry lady!

Step (el-nombrie)

becBRONZE Member
521 posts

Posted:
hey sweetie... so sad that you had to deal with all that emotional yuck thrown in your face - must have been awful frown

There is one person who organises/is responsible for the event - let me know if you would like his contact details/email and/or if you would like me to also speak to him re. the safety concerns too. (adding numbers to voices may help?)

The event is already under some pretty strict council guidelines re. noise restrictions and I think perhaps maybe some fire safety measures that were adhered to as strictly could only help. It is a real concern to all of us not only in terms of other large outdoor gatherings (obviously moonfest springs to mind) but obviously to the whole reputation of the fire arts.

please let elk & I know if there is anything we can do to help hug

Tao StarPooh-Bah
1,662 posts

Posted:
Quote:

It is a real concern to all of us not only in terms of other large outdoor gatherings (obviously moonfest springs to mind) but obviously to the whole reputation of the fire arts.

obviously the actual safety of everyone concerned is your main concern, but this has to be stopped if for no other reason than stuff like this gives every other fire meet a bad name. It's lack of safety in one place that makes aythorities say no to safety conciuos people. They owe it to everyone who will come after.

I had a dream that my friend had a
strong-bad pop up book,
it was the book of my dreams.

ValuraSILVER Member
Mumma Hen
6,391 posts

Posted:
damn it... NO PROGRESS... Im frusterated.

[Nx?]BRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,749 posts

Posted:
dis is [censored]. hug for valura.

maybe if you take a video camera, and film what you see as the safety issues, if you have some hard evidence maybe it will help?

Ive been to anarcic spins before, but thats gennerally in anarcic places, definatly speak to the council, and if you got a video, all the better.

T wave

This is a post by tom, all spelling is deleberate
-><- Kallisti

ValuraSILVER Member
Mumma Hen
6,391 posts

Posted:
damn thats a good idea babe!! I wonder why I have thought of that yet... oh.... thats right. Im not SMRT...LOL!
good to have you back T hug

Kiddamember
60 posts

Posted:
eek mad frown

sounds like it was an accident waiting to happen

Nice one for being clued up enough to realise it cant go on like that and for helping the kid out, what are they going to do if the next time someone spins a staff into the crowd it results in a more serious injury?

They shouldnt be let anywhere near fire if they cant take into account the safety of those around them.

Quote:

Lighting up in the middle of crowd and walking through the crowd to get to the circle... dripping fuel everywhere... dipping LIT staffs into buckets of kero... fire breathing with kero... Arsn stopped a kid from droping a match into a bottle of kero to 'SEE WHAT IT DID"

eek eek

Dont beat yourself up about it to much though, talk to people, make your concerns heard but if they choose not to listen and carry on as they all are, you cant do anymore and shouldnt feel the responsibility when someone gets hurt.

Maybe the organisation of the place needs shaking up a bit, get a saftey crew down there, set down a few ground rules about the drinking and stuff, make it clear why your doing it and people should understand, if people kick off and carry on with the saftey nazi insults they dont sound like the type of people you really need to waste your breath on anyway, they'll never listen. arent there ANY first aid points or easily indentifiable first aiders about?

The problem with things like this is it isnt just giving other crews and events bad names, it creates problems that are to dangerous to be left. The effects of an accident with fire can have serious consequences as well all know.

As for the parent giving the 3 year old a lit staff, im lost for words mad

ValuraSILVER Member
Mumma Hen
6,391 posts

Posted:
Quote:

Maybe the organisation of the place needs shaking up a bit, get a saftey crew down there, set down a few ground rules about the drinking and stuff, make it clear why your doing it and people should understand

Um, not possible with over 200-300 people who are used to the current conditions. They wont understand believe me!! they will fight agaisnt it and I feel really small compared to them! frown
Plus there is no orginisation there that actually runs it.... frown

Quote:

arent there ANY first aid points or easily indentifiable first aiders about?

no. Thats why Im spitting the dummy... I have fought for so long for safety and Im so upset that arsn and I seem to be the only regulars to really push for it. I so glad that I have the support of this board and espically the pixies
"MUAH"

ValuraSILVER Member
Mumma Hen
6,391 posts

Posted:
WOW...
I wasnt there on sunday cause arsn and I have been majorly ill but apparently a letter went around at burleigh on sunday night about the disgusting attitudes of the young people drinking and that the firey 's had TWO weeks to clean up the safety aspects and get some sort of resemblance of a dignified gathering or the police and the gold coast city council will shut down burleigh. This was inturn answered by the other fireys that we know bringing huge buckets of water and fire extinguishers and also making the circle bigger. I dont think personally that is enough.
The cops will be policing the area and making sure that there is no drinking and stuff like that... Im really happy about that aspect of things, the only thing that concerns me is that there are PUBLIC there who are using fire and making it very dangerous as they have no idea about safety, yet still refuse to listen. I think that they are going to ruin it for the ones who DO play properly....I am so concerned that we are going to loose this area now, because although burleigh is a dangerous gathering, it would be fantastic if people respected the fire rules and listened to people who know about safety.
ummm other than that, what if the police shut it down and then get really hard assed on all fire twirlers and try to shut a small group of us that play on a friday night?
WHAT ARE WE GUNNA DO NOW? I need suggestions as to how to present our side of the story to Ken the runner of the drumming circle to get a wee bit of support from his side and also the council if need be... mad This is so frusterating

PukSILVER Member
Sweet talented nutter
2,615 posts

Posted:
How about you just invite some lovely drumming friends to friday night ?

that shrewd and knavish sprite

Called Robin Good Fellow ; are you not he that is frighten of the maidens of the villagery - fairy

I am the merry wander of the night -puk

RoziSILVER Member
100 characters max...
2,996 posts

Posted:
It is a start, babe. And it is going to take time. but you have started a good thing moving. hug

It was a day for screaming at inanimate objects.

What this calls for is a special mix of psychology and extreme violence...

PoiGalmember
1 post

Posted:
Do you and arsn bring any fire safety gear to burleigh or help set up the fire twirling circle at all? Maybe if you guys started doing that, it could be set up the way you would like it? Then there maybe more room for twirling.

ValuraSILVER Member
Mumma Hen
6,391 posts

Posted:
oh yeah definatly we bring fire safety gear...

wow last night there were close to 1000 people there!
police were everywhere fining the underage drinkers.
and the vibe was heaps better than it has been in agggggeeeesss ubbrollsmile

yet I think that the drummers are unhappy with the fireys due to the safety aspect... we are getting a terrible name I think.. frown

ValuraSILVER Member
Mumma Hen
6,391 posts

Posted:
bad news for burleigh spinners

It was only a matter of time really

after I started this thread we started to go less and less... then we just stopped becasue it became so damn dangerous..and now this!!

A guy on the news said he saw a teenage firetwirler kicking a car with a mum and her two kids inside trying to get away... that makes me so sad!!

I have heard whispers from a couple of people at the coast that all firey activity at burleigh will be shut down by the cops from now on... The service station is only across the road from burliegh beats... how horrible.

Sad thing is that this has given us a really bad name here now, even though the majority of the trouble makers were drunk teenagers who just come to burleigh to "watch" (drink, fight, firebreathe)

Maybe if a lovely mod could move this into social discussion that would be great!! Thanks
frown frown frown frown

Sakura_MoonHop's Kitten Jester.
1,803 posts

Posted:
hug x 1000000000000000000000000000000000
i'm so sorry that happened, Valura, its really horrible how people can be so immature about something that could turn very ugly if not done properly.
I'm coming to queensland soon, so ive gotts meet up with you, i know that in cairnes where my dad lives, the council runsa firetwirling for the tourists...maybe you could speak to your council about running a proper meet - not open to anyone who wants to be a d**k about it?

.:Pink Exocutioner:.

I am Jack's Raging Bile Duct...

Loving you from the deepest part of my loins.

DentrassiGOLD Member
ZORT!
3,045 posts

Posted:
sorry to hear its still going downhill. thats why i love the park we meet in Sydney - its out of the way a bit, and harder to get to for alot of people - but there a zero problem with idiots as its completely away from any sort of major thoroughfare, social centre, or pub.

take care my friends hug

"Here kitty kitty...." - Schroedinger.

ValuraSILVER Member
Mumma Hen
6,391 posts

Posted:
yeah sakura this meet DID have support from the council, but not anymore...
GRRRR

3,492 posts

Posted:
hug hug hug

frown

shen shuiSILVER Member
no excuses. no apologies.
1,799 posts

Posted:
that really sucks, man.
:group hug:
words dont work for how much that sucks... cant even work out my feelings about it, although they are definitely in the that sucks category...
and i read your first post too...! ggrrrr and swear words abound, let me tell you...
but, as the wonderful moon pixie has pointed out...
hughughug

those that know, dont say. those that say, dont know.

flidBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,136 posts

Posted:
that sucks

I too have attended events with horrendously unsafe spinning (such as wirewool on a road in a residential area), and as a result never gone back. It's a shame, and in my case it's not even anything i've been involved with for any amount of time. You have my sympathy. The only thing i can really advise is to walk away, and start another group with people you trust/not advertise it openly.

AnotherPyronewbie
18 posts

Posted:
After you've made your concerns clear, find a nice secluded park and a small group and let the council deal with the fallout. Don't worry too much about the cops....We found that the most effective way to keep them off our backs was to talk to them, especially if the same ones are around every week. After about 8 weeks the cops who patrolled our spot started stopping for a chat and some soft drink. We even had one of them have a go at glow staff while he was on duty. Cops arn't so bad if you can prove u r responsiible......

Ahhhh Life.......So many wonderful shades of grey.

Jai - Staffmember
85 posts

Posted:
you are absolutly right valura. i have been going there for the last 3 months since i have been up here and it has had its good nights where people are doing the right thing. but the last 2 weeks i have been appauled at everything that has been going on there. it is not the regular spinners fault. it is the teenage drunks and kids parents that has made this place an absolute disaster. last week a drunk person got onto the fire staff and threw it into a group of teenagers. after that he tripped over in the crowd with a lit staff and crushed a babys pram just seconds after the baby was taken out.

i am so annoyed at this i have refused to go. i go there for a social outing more than a spinning session so i am annoyed at what has been happening.

valura i know i have been fighting with you on this issue for a while but i think i am now going to have to bow down and except defeat.

love ya all

peace

jai

I can't wait to die, I'm going to Hell. They have fire down there!

Page: