Forums > Social Chat > Terrible terrible thing.

Login/Join to Participate

King Of Bongoaddict
522 posts

Posted:
I live in madrid outside university term time (I am in bristol at the moment), I grew up there. I know every inch of the city. I have been coping with it quite well untill now. But the bombs that went off in my home city this morning have finally got to me. I have been crying for the last hour thinking about it.
I am shocked and horrified by this meaningless loss of life.

90% of spain opposed the war in iraq. The biggest demonstrations in europe against the war in iraq were in spain. And now evidence has been found that supports the fact that an islamic terrorist groups was involved, namely al-quaeda. I cannot explain the anguish i feel. It is horrible.

why?
anyone... explain.
help. I don't know what to do. There is nothing I can do. I am not at home, I can't go and give blood, I can't offer to help in any way that is useful, I don't know if any of my friends have been hurt. I feel so useless.
Anyone have any advice on how to cope?
thanks,
love
Ben

PS All my thoughts are with my friends and the people of madrid, of whom I can name Sabbas, also a hopster, who lives there and I can only hope is well.

Your life is ending one minute at a time...
So live it.

bluecatgeek, level 1
5,300 posts

Posted:
ubbcrying

hug

until someone comes along with better advice then here are a few more: hug hug hug hug hug

ubbcryingR

Holistic Spinner (I hope)

pounceSILVER Member
All the neurotic makings of America's lesser known sweetheart
9,831 posts

Posted:
i wish i could give you good advice, but i'm at a loss. so instead i'll leave you with a few of these

hug hug hug hug hug hug hug hug

I was always scared with my mother's obsession with the good scissors. It made me wonder if there were evil scissors lurking in the house somewhere.

Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons for you are crunchy and good with ketchup.

**giggles**

pavementmember
121 posts

Posted:
I cant offer any advice - i wish i could. What happened today has destroyed any lingering hope for the world i had. I hope that all your friends and family are safe tonight and are coping somehow. hug hug hug hug

I just cant believe it, i cant believe that people can do this. Its the most evil, disgusting thing i have ever seen,

What has happened to the world?

SpitFireGOLD Member
Mand's Girl....and The Not So Shy One
2,723 posts

Posted:
hug hug hug hug hug hug hug hug

I don't have any advice to give. Sensless acts of violence like those terrorist attacks shake people and nations to the core because they make no sense to us.

Hang in there.

Solitude sometimes speaks to you, and you should listen.

ElannaSILVER Member
Where ignorance is bliss, 'tis folly to be wise.
2,293 posts

Posted:
I also have no advice to give....But have some more huggles, and I hope your friends and family are safe...

hug hug hug hug
hug hug hug hug
hug hug hug hug
hug hug hug hug
hug hug hug hug

Are you suggesting coconuts migrate?

Pies Jesu Domine *whack*
Dona eis requiem *whack*

Come join us and chat - we're bored! irc.newnet.net #homeofpoi

MikeGinnyGOLD Member
HOP Mad Doctor
13,925 posts

Posted:
And suddenly, it no longer feels like it's all so far away and happening to other people. frown

-Mike

Certified Mad Doctor and HoP High Priest of Nutella

A buckuht n a hooze! -Valura

telicI don't want a title.
940 posts

Posted:
Quote:

I cannot explain the anguish i feel. It is horrible.

why?
anyone... explain.
help. I don't know what to do. There is nothing I can do. I am not at home, I can't go and give blood, I can't offer to help in any way that is useful, I don't know if any of my friends have been hurt. I feel so useless.

Oh, honey! hug I know how you feel. I'm a native New Yorker, but when the twin towers went down, I was away at school in Maryland. I wanted to help, I wanted to see if my friends and family were safe, but I couldn't. I felt so impotent. And not only that - it was an experience that I wasn't a part of. I wanted to be there to suffer with my home, odd as that may sound.

You get by, though. I promise. I got in touch with friends I hadn't spoken with in years, on 9/11. Suddenly everyone in my high school was networking again, just to make sure all of were safe. (My high school had been used as a triage center, and we were particularly concerned about the teachers.) All the phones were down, but my father had DSL and IMed with me from his office in Brooklyn Heights, where he watched the towers collapse (and got photos) from across the East River. The worst was my uncle, who worked near the towers and had to walk about 8 miles to get home, and it was a long time before we heard from him and knew whether he was okay.

It was so hard going home afterwards. I avoided it for a few months. I had this weird feeling that if I never went back, never had to see my shattered skyline, it wouldn't have to be real for me. I could keep the city I grew up in pristine in my mind. But of course, eventually I returned. And it was okay, it was okay. I had friends with me.

If it works anything like NY did, though, they'll end up with more donated blood than they can even manage to store, and everyone will come together and take care of each other. (NY is beautiful in a tragedy; when the going gets bad, it's even safe to hitchhike in the Bronx - and I'm sure your home will be, too.)

So, all I can say is - keep in touch. Contact everyone you know, and everyone you used to know. Reach out to the people at home. Find someone to cry with. And know that we're thinking about the people there, and about you, too.

E pluribus unum, baby.

DentrassiGOLD Member
ZORT!
3,045 posts

Posted:
hug hug hug

"Here kitty kitty...." - Schroedinger.

GottaLoveItSponge
883 posts

Posted:
hug hug hug hug

Quote:

When I despair,
I remember that all through history
the ways of truth and love have always won.
There have been tyrants, and murderers,
and for a time they can seem invincible,
but in the end they always fall.

Think of it - always.

mahatma gandhi

Monkeys monkeys and bananas

WarchildBRONZE Member
After 17 hrs i got the little beautie
340 posts

Posted:
Hey ben, I wish i did have some advice to give that would make you feel better or help take away the pain but i also am at a loss on what to say.

Untill you hear anything these are for you hug hug hug hug

My thoughts are with the people of Madrid and there familys and friends.

EDITED_BY: Warchild (1079115804)

A wise man once told me, A friend will bail you outta jail, A great friend will be sitting beside you saying that was f**king awesome.

rbmnycBRONZE Member
lurker
194 posts

Posted:
I really don't know what to say - just that I can empathise with your pain. It was a terrible terrible thing that happened - regardless of politics, who's responsible whatever - it's just terrible.

hug hug hug hug hug hug

Darnup Emhulymember
8 posts

Posted:
I find the reaction of these attacks very interesting. If you look at Isriale and Palistine, neither country ever protested (atleast to this degree) and we all know what the US did and to the best of my very limited knowlege no country has every protested a terrorist attack.

This was a terrible attack done against innocent people and yet look at the reaction, in a way I find the reaction awe inspireing.

The Spanish populous is definatly in my thoughts and prayers hug hug hug hug

/editied due to very silly typo
EDITED_BY: Darnup Emhuly (1079124907)

RoziSILVER Member
100 characters max...
2,996 posts

Posted:
Ben hug

There are no words. hug

It was a day for screaming at inanimate objects.

What this calls for is a special mix of psychology and extreme violence...

King Of Bongoaddict
522 posts

Posted:
2 million people took to the streets today.
I am sad that I could not be there, but I am happy to say my parents were.
It is good to see some light in the face of such darkness.

thanks to everyone for the hugs, they were and are much needed. I just wish everyone else who has suffered far more than i could feel those hugs.
Our thoughts are with them.

thanks again.
hug to you all.
Ben

Your life is ending one minute at a time...
So live it.

MikeGinnyGOLD Member
HOP Mad Doctor
13,925 posts

Posted:
You know, I was raised by a housekeeper who lived with my parents when I was born. She's still very much part of the family and she's emotionally to me what most people's mothers are to them.

Tina (that's her name) is from Spain. Because she raised me, I think of myself as being partly Spanish. I speak with a Spanish accent (albeit a hick accent from out in the country), I cook Spanish food, I fit in when I go to Spain.

I've been so busy with school that I didn't have time to really even take in what happened in Madrid. But now I've seen the carnage, the demostraciones, and the spirit of the Spanish people.

So it's time for me to say something I should have said a long time ago:

¡Que Viva España!

Non-Https Image Link

Non-Https Image Link

Non-Https Image Link

Non-Https Image Link

Non-Https Image Link

Non-Https Image Link

Non-Https Image Link

Non-Https Image Link

-Mike

Certified Mad Doctor and HoP High Priest of Nutella