Page:
simian110% MONKEY EVERY TIME ALL THE TIME JUST CANT STOP THE MONKEY
3,149 posts

Posted:
Hello wave

Multi beat airwraps...

It is said they are known to certain persons on this board umm
but they choose to remain silent about their forbidden knowledge, so as to avoid The Tanglish Inquisition!

so this is my attempt to lure them into the cold light of day, whereupon we shall tortur... uh... ask them nicely to impart their knowledge ubbangel

OK, you know airwraps, yeah?

(or static airwraps, as some would have it wink )

they generally tangle on the outside then switch to the inside and untangle

(or go from inside to outside, but lets ignore them for now)

Now to increase the number of beats you can keep switching from inside to outside before the poi reach the point of untangling.

It is hard frown but possible smile and you'll probably do lots of them by accident while you're trying to learn how to airwrap...

i've found that i can get a 4 beat airwrap happening most easily by doing the following:
(description assumes anticlockwise spinning. Transpose lefts for rights and vice versa for clockwise spinning smile )

The poi meet at an outward angle so that the 'tangle' is nearer the head of the left hand poi, and nearer the handle of the right hand poi.

The poi spin 180° on the outside as normal for your basic airwrap, and both come to the inside.

As the poi are just coming round to untangle, move your hands slightly back towards your body, so that the poi go into the outside position again.

Try to 'hook' the left poi with the right poi head that is rising up inside your arms and moving away from you.

The poi should re-tangle in the middle of both poi at the exact point in time that the old tangle comes apart, and we're back at the beginning of an airwrap tangle.

Complete normally and untangle for a 4 beat (?) airwrap

Or try for another other couple of beats ad infinitum biggrin

i find that these look really lovely when done slow and clean, and the tangle slowly moves down the length of the poi from right to left (getting harder and harder to retangle as it goes).

This is far more noticable with thick, non-stretchy socks. With thinner or stretchier material, theres a tendency for the knot to stay much more in one place. i don't know why...

Now come on, you hardcore tanglehedz, throw the monkey a banana and tell me some moooooore...

cos i'm really rubbish at working out what knots should do. i seem to recall that the last time i tried to discuss tangles properly with Coleman we ended up moving socks around on a concrete floor for ten minutes before finally deciding that the move we'd just been playing with was, in fact, impossible...
confused

"Switching between different kinds of chuu chuu sometimes gives this "urgh wtf?" effect because it's giving people the phi phenomenon."

arashiPooh-Bah
2,364 posts

Posted:
oh and hug for bluecat cause that post wasn't aimed at _anybody_, just trying to resolve the language frustration.
but by all means go outside and talk to a girl tongue

-Such a price the gods exact for song: to become what we sing
-Seek freedom and become captive of your desires. Seek discipline and find your liberty.
-When the center of the storm does not move, you are in its path.

simian110% MONKEY EVERY TIME ALL THE TIME JUST CANT STOP THE MONKEY
3,149 posts

Posted:
Whoa, i'm adding another long post that doesn't actually talk about tangles, but talks about talking about tangles.
confused
Ah never mind...

cheers Arashi smile and sorry too frown

i agree with everything you say, particularly about clearing up the definitions.

(you're absolutely right about the hyperloop\airwrap definition, although they're still confused terms even within the london group where we can refer to the naughty nomenclaturer responsible for them)

and i feel a bit bad about nagging you for tangly info i should just be working on independently really... noone should be coerced into writing those goddam goddam descriptions.

i do tend to make up new terminology as i go along, and use the old terminology, just using any words i can to try and make my explanations explanatory. But the room for interpretation is always there... i didn't know the distinction between inverted and inside which really didn't help.

and you're spot on with the props for Silvershadows crossed arm airwrap comment that went unnoticed (because it wasn't written down in a complex dissertation style?). Was playing more with these last night too, but they weren't untangling nice without pulling (which i hate frown ). Dunno whether i'm lacking momentum or if the tangle is wrong.

Do you reckon this shouldn't have been a new thread? i've recently skimmed through every thread on HOP that mentioned the word Nexus or Tangle or Hyperloop or Airwrap when i was making my list of links (fun fun fun ubbangel) and didn't see anything vaguely about the kinda tangle i was mentioning at the beginning. And multiple smaller threads are better than one massive thread about every tangle ever...

Oh, and why does obsessing about tangles mean you can't work on anything else? You gotta do stuff inbetween em, dontcha? Oh hang on, you don't. That was the point of the thread...

"Switching between different kinds of chuu chuu sometimes gives this "urgh wtf?" effect because it's giving people the phi phenomenon."

RevBRONZE Member
Bastard Newbie Messiah
1,269 posts

Posted:
You can ignore the first part if you don't want to read not relevent parts..

you know what.. I'm sick of this.. sorry no offense to anyone directly.. but I'm sick of this.. Everyone's so awesome nomencalture is a complete failure and serves no purpose but utter confusion... I'm sick of ever freaking yahoo thinking ariwrap and hyperloops are this that and the other.. I have met maybe 2 people that use the EXACT same definition for both and on top of that not only use the same definition but use it to refer to the SAME thing,,, unlike most everyone else.. and the really sad part is that there is no consistency anywhere save between the two people that can actually stand in front of each other and sya this is what I mean when I say x.... I admit that I don't use the same standards that other people do.. but I use them because I understand certain differences that need to be noted.. as arashi said more mathematical differences.. and sorry arashi, yes I use some terms that I heard you use, but no I don't know if I use them the same or not.... I see between the arms as being inverted and under the arms being inner.. whether you are refering perpendicualr or poarallel planes.. period.. and personally I could not care less about who says what.. I learn things like on my own and have to represent things to myself in a manner that makes sense logically.. and when there are such horribe descrepencies in what a term is, then perhaps that is a cry for a need for reclarification.. which is what I and aother have been trying for.. so many terms that were laid down (and here I'm not refering to anything in particular) were laid in ignorance.. so many times I feel that I ahve a grasp on something and then realize wait.. that's not how it works.. because so much of poi is deceptive in a appearance and actuality.. and one thing that pisses me off is when anyone takes my word OR ANYONE ELSES for that matter as absolute.. I will not hold terms that don't work simply because someone named it first.. nor do I intend for anyone else to holdmine if it does not work for them.. the point is.. maybe oneday we will have conrcrete reasoning on why this is this and that is that.. but so far we haven't gotten that... anyone who claims otherwise is completely deluding themselves.. wes made the comment to me once that everything would be better if we could show it.. I think that holds to some degree.. Because what is going on is not in dispute, only the words.. and words are vague people.. words cannot help but be vague because they derive from subjective referentials.. the word blue is no less vague the term hyperloop.. if you don't understand that, do a search (oustide of Hop) for sorities paradoxes..
th whole point of having forums like this is to debate and discuss things... which includes terminology.. because things change as well as understanding.. hyperloops are not something that just magically appeared for the first time when glass named them.. I'm sick of everyone ready to jump on everyone else on this forum (and some other forums too) we're hear to learn.. which means noones wrong, just different in opinions.. I could care less if this thread was calle dyour momma on crack, I would still post what I felt was relevent given the discussion, and my opinion on said discusiion not just what one person wants to hear...
when did things have to devolve so much? please people.. this is about poi discussion not social discussion.. can we just talk about that and leave the rest of the crap like this part of my post, and certain other posts off, or somewhere else.. they do nothing positive for this site, for poi, for understanding, or for anyone..

now on topic:
I didn't realize that you meant multi-beat airwraps in terms of letting them spin more before they symetricize.. I look at those as being the hypeloop (more conical in mannerisms.. and able to spin variable beats before moving to untangle) whereas airwrap(more of a perpetual motion that is neither wrapping nor unwrapping).. that being said.. I remove myself from this discussion..

peace out.. peace

More useless information courtesy of Rev...
Confusing the masses, one post at a time...
"Obviously, you're not a golfer.."- The Dude
"Buy the ticket... Take the ride..." -Raoul Duke
"FEMA has never done catastrophe planning..."-Michael Brown

bluecatgeek, level 1
5,300 posts

Posted:
no worries arashi, but i'm gonna stick with my own nomenclature until i can get you, me, drew, rev, t07, nix, cole, simone, and a few others in a room together.... read drews post in 'editing some terms' thread, and i hope you'll understand why(tho incidentally i no longer beleive airwraps and 'hyperloops' are the same thing, but my definitions are soooo different to anyone elses i'm going to hold on to them til they are clearer in my owwn head, and keep posting in the same style as i have been).

*steps outside to talk to a girl....*

Holistic Spinner (I hope)

RevBRONZE Member
Bastard Newbie Messiah
1,269 posts

Posted:
i jsut wanted to say that I feel out of place on that list.. not being as much of the poi caliber as the rest of the people in that listr.. ubblol

thanks for the respect though.. one day when I'm rich I'll fly all of us to one place just to have us all together.. the possibilities...

*we now return you to your previously scheduled topic*

More useless information courtesy of Rev...
Confusing the masses, one post at a time...
"Obviously, you're not a golfer.."- The Dude
"Buy the ticket... Take the ride..." -Raoul Duke
"FEMA has never done catastrophe planning..."-Michael Brown

arashiPooh-Bah
2,364 posts

Posted:
most important explanation yet;

irish car bomb:
shot glass, 1/2 bailey's and 1/2 GOOD irish whiskey (don't get cheap on me, i'm a dancer and i can afford them)
drop shot glass into half a pint of guiness
chug like a manly man (or womanly woman)

-Seek freedom and become captive of your desires. Seek discipline and find your liberty.

[Nx?]BRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,749 posts

Posted:
I try not to rely to heavily on terms, and try to write a physical desciption of what im doing. wave

This is a post by tom, all spelling is deleberate
-><- Kallisti

arashiPooh-Bah
2,364 posts

Posted:
friggin last night i did like at least 6 on one side and 8 on the other. fugifiknow how though confused cause i was StoooOOOooooOOOOoooned
oops another vague post hat's how i got in trouble last time tongue umm

[Nx?]BRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,749 posts

Posted:
spank

EDITED_BY: [Nx?] (1079644172)

This is a post by tom, all spelling is deleberate
-><- Kallisti

dreamSILVER Member
currently mending
493 posts

Posted:
Its gotten to the point where I have more than enough problems understanding what it is I'm doing. Explaining it, especially in text is nigh on impossible. Get everyone together in a room somewhere... Sounds good, need to organise who's bringin what spirits drugs etc but would be a mindblowing weekend

He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you.

Nietzsche

Page: