thorFlaming Lesbian
181 posts

Posted:
ok. how do i go about getting a permit or whatever i need to be able to spin fire without getting arrested?

i'm actually a volunteer firefighter and just talked to my chief, and he dosen't even know. (he thinks i'm going crazy)

any help would be appreciated

Lights dancing off my skin as chains wrap round it.
Pain is in a little box and I'm so glad I found it.

CodySILVER Member
That guy from Reno
556 posts

Posted:
In Reno we used to get a special city park permit. This worked for about 3 years then our group got bigger and the city wanted us to go to the state. So now we have individual "Nevada state fire marshal Certificate of Registration." They do a background check on you and it's renewed twice a year. It's the same thing Magicians and pyrotechnicians (sp?) get. Mine says "Type: Flame Effect Fire Juggler and Fire Spinner" We follow their guidelines and play by the rules and everyone's happy. smile

Cody Canon
Controlled Burn, Reno Nevada

MillenniuMPLATINUM Member
Hyperloops suck
595 posts

Posted:
Cody, are you required to have liability insurance from Clowns of America or anything similar?

Big AndyBRONZE Member
186 posts

Posted:
Quote:

ok. how do i go about getting a permit or whatever i need to be able to spin fire without getting arrested?

i'm actually a volunteer firefighter and just talked to my chief, and he dosen't even know. (he thinks i'm going crazy)

any help would be appreciated

Me and my VERY small group just take off running when the police show up biggrin

The only time we actually came close to getting caught, the officer thought it was so cool he said he didn't care as long as we're safe about it and no one filed a complaint about it.

"We can't stop here! This is bat country!"

"Welcome to the U-S-A,
We'll treat you right, unless you're black or gay, or Cherokeeeeee!!"

-Brian Griffin from "Family Guy" (the dog)

LurchBRONZE Member
old hand
929 posts

Posted:
Sucks that I'm in a very small town right now with a very high police presence (multiple stations and a police academy within a couple miles)

#homeofpoi -- irc.newnet.net Come talk to us we're bored frown

Warning: Please Do Not Jump On The Seals

rbmnycBRONZE Member
lurker
194 posts

Posted:
Post deleted by rbmnyc

CodySILVER Member
That guy from Reno
556 posts

Posted:
Millennium, We don't need performers insurance to practice in a park or to burn on private property. If you want to do any venues you'll need the insurance. I have limped by under a magicians insurance policy for gigs at the Golden Phoenix, but I am getting Clowns of the US in April when the new year for them starts.

There's two ways to do fire in the city, either you play the game with the officials, or you run from them. We have always played by their rules and we have an awsome saftey record. This helps when you want to get permits for a performance. Luckally Reno's art community is huge and getting bigger by the day. Since we have made sure fire spinning is viewed as an art, we are allowed to do it. wink

Cody Canon

MillenniuMPLATINUM Member
Hyperloops suck
595 posts

Posted:
Ah... I contacted the city about spinning on public property (Pretty much no private property avaliable for spinning to an audience I'm afraid), and they said I pretty much need to give them a package of information about who's spinning, our safety procedure, how we will contain the area from the audience, proof of fire performance insurance, as well as 5 days notice to all places we spin. Far too harsh. We're pretty much playing the "Running from the cops" game at the moment, spinning on beaches without major roads near them, or in Ventura, a city 30 minutes away with a lot of fire performers that live in it. Nice and loose rules, the cops come and watch sometimes.

CodySILVER Member
That guy from Reno
556 posts

Posted:
What they asked is pretty standard. If you just want to practice w fire, just keep to Ventura, otherwise I could help you get that packet together as far as safety and perimeter. I'd suggest everyone get the insurance, it's only oh $125 for a year and it opens up a lot of doors. Great white still looms over our art and we need to bend like a willow in a hurricane if we are to survive. wink

Cody Canon

musashiistarring Skippy the green llama
1,148 posts

Posted:
125?? Where u getting that rate??

First intention, then enlightenment..
Ars Pyronomica

" Life is programmed. Whether death is programmed or not is yet to be determined."

spritieSILVER Member
Pooh-Bah
2,014 posts

Posted:
That's the rate it used to be for a year of coverage. I'm not sure if Clowns of America is increasing it this year or not (or if it got increased last year or not).

1,148 posts

Posted:
Last I talked with COTUS about 6 months ago, it was 165, still says 165 on their site, Just wondering, I'd love to be able to shave a few dollars off for performers

Ars Pyronomica

" Life is programmed. Whether death is programmed or not is yet to be determined."

CodySILVER Member
That guy from Reno
556 posts

Posted:
That number came off the top of my head I didn't have time to look it up. Sorry for the miscommunication. confused

Cody Canon

1,148 posts

Posted:
no prob, all good

Ars Pyronomica

thorFlaming Lesbian
181 posts

Posted:
finally got through to someone at parks and recreation. they want me to submit a written request outlining who's gonna be doing it, what safety precautions we're gonna be using, how we're gonna keep people from walking in to it, and what exactly /it/ is.

sounds simple, right?

only problem is, I'm the only one I know (and i've asked, believe me i've asked) who wants to spin fire. and nobody wants to come out and watch me spin fire just to be safety/crowd control.

any suggestions?

Lights dancing off my skin as chains wrap round it.
Pain is in a little box and I'm so glad I found it.