Forums > Social Chat > Johannesburg; any advice?

Login/Join to Participate

dR pSYcHoSILVER Member
88 posts

Posted:
Hey y'all.. I'm about to finish exams (I hope) after which I'm off for 8 weeks to Johannesburg to do an elective in Trauma (oooh the excitement ubbrollsmile mixed with slight fear eek).

Just wandered if anyone had any good advice, places to go/not to go, any spinners out there(because of course where I go, staff goes)? I'm staying at the University of Wits Halls (hopefully).

Cheers folks weavesmiley

taco taco taco taco taco taco taco taco taco taco taco taco taco taco taco taco taco taco taco taco taco Damn those MexICan BANdits taco taco taco taco TACOFICATION taco taco taco taco taco taco

spritieSILVER Member
Pooh-Bah
2,014 posts

Posted:
When I was there in Dec/Jan. there was a great drum circle that met every other Friday night somwhere outside of town. It was actually quite nice and had a bunch of fire spinners in attendance as well. Vanize should know more info. about it.

Enjoy! South Africa is a beautiful country.

vanizeSILVER Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,899 posts

Posted:
Joberg is safe enough if you use common sense. don't look like you have anything valuable, don't carry much money, don't go around in an expensive car, don't walk at night unless you are in a big group, and don't piss anyone off. I lived in the area for a year and had no problems at all.

There is a great drumming circle just to the east of Pretoria near Garsfontain every other friday night. If I can find the SIM card I had for my cell phone in South Africa, I can give you the number of the guy in charge so you can get the details directly from him (PM me if you are interested). There is also a number of fire peeps in Jo-berg as well as pretoria, and I might have one or two of their phone numbers kicking around somewhere...

-v-

Wiederstand ist Zwecklos!

DeepSoulSheepGOLD Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
2,617 posts

Posted:
Erm. I used to live in South Africa 6 years ago and Johannesburg 10 years ago so I'm thinking any advice could be flawed.

However join this mailing list here and I'm quite certain all you seek shall be sook.

General advice... Johannesburg is very dangerous so don't go wandering round like Jonny Tourist unless you know where you're going.

Try and arrange to get a car. Buy / borrow / rent / steal (always steal red cars cause they can't be seen from helicoptors), unless ..... no unless nothing, I can pretty much guarantee there's no public transport.

Johannesburg isn't the best place to be in South Africa. There's a cool place called Gold Reef City, which is a themed park based around the gold mines and stuff and you can go down an old gold mine and there's rides....loads pretty ladies...if memory serves. A mix of fun and history me thinks....

The Randburg waterfront's nice for pubs restaurants.

The Carlton Centre's the highest building in the place. Only 50 stories high, it still gives you a nice view of the place.

I'm out of ideas....really I am, if anything else comes back to me I'll let you know.

If you plan on getting out of Johannesburg to the rest of SA let me know and I can advise you on where to go. Depending on your time to travel and stuff there's an entire world in that place.... ubblove

I live in a world of infinite possibilities.

dR pSYcHoSILVER Member
88 posts

Posted:
Quote:

always steal red cars cause they can't be seen from helicoptors

ubblol

I'll bear that in mind. Unfortunately, in my eagerness I kinda booked up my 8 weeks at the hospital so (at the moment) I have to stay in/around Johannesburg, BUT I am determined to make an effort to go travelling round there again in the next year or so once I start working (in August) and have Drs income (just ignore silly level of uni debts) biggrin

Any suggestions at all will be great, cause I may get the oppertunity. You never really know how these things are gonna pan out ubbidea

taco taco taco taco taco taco taco taco taco taco taco taco taco taco taco taco taco taco taco taco taco Damn those MexICan BANdits taco taco taco taco TACOFICATION taco taco taco taco taco taco

vanizeSILVER Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,899 posts

Posted:
I think you would find that Joberg is a different place than it was 6 to 10 years ago. still not exactly safe by any stretch of the imagination, but by my impression from last year, not nearly so bad as it has a reputation for - I've been in worse places by far.

-v-

Wiederstand ist Zwecklos!