Forums > Social Discussion > stereotypes of americans...

Login/Join to Participate
Page:
KyrianDreamer
4,308 posts

Posted:
I'm mostly out to ask the people from England, Oz, and NZ, who supposedly speak the same language as us americans... heh.

Basically, I want to know what people's sterotypes of americans are. Obnoxious? Self-centered? Those are a few I've hit so far. But what things do you usually associate with them?

Keep your dream alive
Dreamin is still how the strong survive

Shalom VeAhavah

New Hampshire has a point....

StoneGOLD Member
Stream Entrant
2,829 posts

Posted:
True Rouge, I think I said as much towards the end of the UN Native title discussion. I don’t think resorting to the Nuremberg Defense is a solution either.

Provocative, because as stated, “I put that avatar up just for you and FireTom.”

If we as members of the human race practice meditation, we can transcend our fear, despair, and forgetfulness. Meditation is not an escape. It is the courage to look at reality with mindfulness and concentration. Thich Nhat Hanh

LurchBRONZE Member
old hand
929 posts

Posted:
It's blatant stereotyping Stone, I don't accuse anyone here who spins fire or has fire in their avatars as being pyromaniacs or arsonists.

#homeofpoi -- irc.newnet.net Come talk to us we're bored frown

Warning: Please Do Not Jump On The Seals

StoneGOLD Member
Stream Entrant
2,829 posts

Posted:
Then what does “I put that avatar up just for you and FireTom” mean?

If we as members of the human race practice meditation, we can transcend our fear, despair, and forgetfulness. Meditation is not an escape. It is the courage to look at reality with mindfulness and concentration. Thich Nhat Hanh

StoneGOLD Member
Stream Entrant
2,829 posts

Posted:
Lurch, your gun looks less menacing today; perhaps I missed your point. You could also be saying that as a gun enthusiast you enjoy the gun sports of hunting or target shooting, and your views on the use of guns for deadly force has changed.

faith enfireBRONZE Member
wandering thru the woods of WI
3,556 posts

Posted:
I'm a conservative person. Trust me, I'm not the majority at this point.
I do not regret my vote. I believe I made the right decision for the time we were in.
The American opinion I do not support and if you did know anything about Americans you would NEVER think that EVER.
Most of my beliefs come from my being Roman Catholic and that is not a popular thing to be no matter where you are from it seems.
You are only proving my point

Thanks, rouge.

Faith
Nay, whatever comes one hour was sunlit and the most high gods may not make boast of any better thing than to have watched that hour as it passed

KaelGotRiceGOLD Member
Basu gasu bakuhatsu - because sometimes buses explode
1,584 posts

Posted:
I think it's a stereotype to separate people into "conservatives" or "liberals" - a dangerous one too at that.

If people would stfu and look at their similarities instead of jumping to points like abortion, gun rights, immigration, and homosexuality and start screaming at each other, maybe stuff would get done around here.

PS - faith, Roman catholicism is still the largest "organized church" on the face of the planet. Not popular at all... nooooo ubblol Most Catholics are socially conservative, though I have heard Jesus was a liberal wink You know, taking care of the poor - welfare, raising the dead - healthcare, and generally being nice to thy neighbors - not jumping the gun and invading countries and creating insurgencies and animosity - that sort of thing... while most of the world was busy nailing people to crosses for saying we are all God's children. hug

To do: More Firedrums 08 video?

Wildfire/US East coast fire footage

LA/EDC glow/fire footage

Fresno fire

FireTomStargazer
6,650 posts

Posted:
Stone, this is chat... you should say something like: Please point your shotgun in another direction, Lurch - don't aim at us...

I know he's being provocative and who he aims for, but hey: shrug can't be bothered... by this (as being creative enough with Photoshop to make himself a more tingling and sophisticated avatar) he just fills in this USamerican stereotype that I'm trying to tolerate on an individual basis.

the best smiles are the ones you lead to wink

mcpPLATINUM Member
Flying Water Muppet
5,276 posts

Posted:
oh wow, I thought the Roman Catholic Church was the Eastern Orthodox Church! ZOMG! So now, the Catholic and Roman Catholic Church's are both the Vaticans Brand of Christianity and what I thought was Roman Catholic / former soviet bloc oldschool catholicism is in fact eastern orthodox... damn.

"the now legendary" - Kaskade
"the still legendary" - Kaskade

I spunked in my friend's aquarium and the fish ate it. I love all fish. Especially the pink ones. They are my bitches. - Anon.

StoutBRONZE Member
Pooh-Bah
1,872 posts

Posted:
Kael...that is just too weird. First you identify stereotyping as dangerous and then you and do it yourself by calling Jesus a liberal.

Faith. am I correct in assuming that you meant unpopular, here, on HoP ?

And who's to say we don't get things done BY screaming at each other. Why only recently I've come to realise that the second amendment is an aspect of US culture that I can't support ( as a non USAmerican ) by one comment Stone made.

3,556 posts

Posted:
yes stout, thank you and in my part of the country too, RC isn't that popular. And regular online communities.

conservative-modest in dress, spending, morality.

Faith
Nay, whatever comes one hour was sunlit and the most high gods may not make boast of any better thing than to have watched that hour as it passed

KaelGotRiceGOLD Member
1,584 posts

Posted:
Stout, that was sarcasm, I know it could be missed (especially by a non-american citizen) but I did judiciously apply the wink smiley.

Stereotypically across the USA, many conservatives say that the Republican party is the political party of religion, hence the "religious right" generally voting republican. Some even go as far as to proclaim it the way Jesus would have voted.

Though I would laugh and say the torture supporting, constitution bashing, homophobic (yet in the closet), money grubbing republican party of today is far from the values they proclaim themselves to be following.

Luckily there's people like Ron Paul - who will never win the election - but there's a republican i can admire for standing for values, even if I don't agree with his methods.

Stereotyping only serves to further alienate people from each other - when I actually think we all have the same goals. Less stress, more fun, and enjoy life.

Basically I'm saying, "If Jesus didn't discriminate against the poor and needy, why do so many *cough republicans *cough not realize their party are in fact morally corrupt looking to exploit the poor and needy?"

And no one can accuse me of being a "durn librual" either, because many democrats are also morally corrupt, but I say vote for the lesser of evils people!

(vote thrid party) biggrin

LA/EDC glow/fire footage

Fresno fire

StoneGOLD Member
Stream Entrant
2,829 posts

Posted:
faith, I was brought up a Roman Catholic, and even today I still value what Jesus said. Though, I think Kael raises a good point about what happens when we start mixing politics and religion.

FireTom, good to see you back smile I though about not being bothered, but shrug ok.

Lurch, Home of Poi is a peaceful, non-violent community. It is not America; the people that live here are from all around the world. Personally, I don’t like having a gun pointed at me when I’m online. I’d suggest putting up a more friendly avatar and showing some respect for other people in the community. Otherwise, you are just playing out the role of a stereotypical American. It should also be remembered that this is not forum for gun enthusiasts.

Stout, I was surprised to read that anti-American sentiment is so rampant in some places that people are saying they Canadian.

LurchBRONZE Member
old hand
929 posts

Posted:
confused How is my avatar unfriendly, violent, or disrespectful? It's a photo that I took months ago, and use on numerous other forums. While I know that this forum isn't for, and doesn't have many gun enthusiasts on it, I've always seen HoP as a welcoming, non-judgmental group. Personally I think it's sad that you see something as simple as an avatar as such a defining label on personal character, but then I guess that's what this thread is about isn't it?

Rouge DragonBRONZE Member
Insert Champagne Here
13,215 posts

Posted:
Back in the day there was only one branch of Christianity.

Then the Eastern Orthodox group toddled off and formed their own church (which has since branched into sections like Russian, Greek, Romanian etc).

Later on the Protestants had a fight with the Pope and went and did the same thing (including forming separate little branches like Lutheran, Methodist, Church of England etc.)

Catholicism is what they now call the section everyone branched off from. And even then it comes with its own branches like Franciscan and Jesuit.

/Christian Church history in a nutshell.

i would have changed ***** to phallus, and claire to petey Petey

Rougie: but that's what I'm doing here
Arnwyn: what letting me adjust myself in your room?..don't you dare quote that on HoP...

pkBRONZE Member
Lambretta Fanatic
4,997 posts

Posted:
I actually don't find Lurch's avatar offensive, disrespectful, unfriendly or what ever else is being said about it... but then I as a minority shall probably be shot down for it my opinion (no pun intended!).

There are enthusiasts on the board of other sectors, myself included. Avatars are defining to us as people and others should respect that, we are all entitled to an opinion.

Would a rocker mock my avatar?.. probably! wink

StoutBRONZE Member
Pooh-Bah
1,872 posts

Posted:
Kael...gotcha on the sarcasm. Jesus seemed like a pretty decent fellow. Did he actively preach against abortion and homosexuality, or did that come later, when the bible was written.

faith, I also assume you're talking about the general anti-American sentiment here on HoP, and not specifically the gun thread .......the stuff, that sort of creeps into the odd post here and there. It used to be worse, NYC mentioned it a couple of times and, unfortunately, I don't see it going away in the near future.

Think of it as more of an anti-American and their militaristic ways sentiment instead. I can't quite put my finger on it, but there's something seriously wrong with your federal government. The way i see it, the individual state governments are more with the program than the feds.

I don't know if it's obvious from within the US, but the US is fast becoming alone in the world with their wars on everything. Tourism to the US is down due to an increasing world view that this is not a "welcoming" tourist destination , the dollar's down, way down, ( making Europeans all smug ) Hey...wait a minute, that Pound's taken a beating in the past five years too.

Thing is, the federal gov't is coming off as just plain mean. America has to do something about that. now.

Stone..That Americans passing themselves off as Canadian has been going on since the seventies. I've only ever met one person doing it but I think it has more value as a myth that Canadians love to repeat. See, we don't want to be mistaken for Americans and since everyone loves us...we get all smug and stitch those flags, everywhere.

I like Lurch's avatar. I think it's the first artsy shotgun photo I've noticed.

PeleBRONZE Member
the henna lady
6,193 posts

Posted:
 Written by: Stout

Think of it as more of an anti-American and their militaristic ways sentiment instead. I can't quite put my finger on it, but there's something seriously wrong with your federal government. The way i see it, the individual state governments are more with the program than the feds.

I don't know if it's obvious from within the US, but the US is fast becoming alone in the world with their wars on everything. Tourism to the US is down due to an increasing world view that this is not a "welcoming" tourist destination , the dollar's down, way down, ( making Europeans all smug ) Hey...wait a minute, that Pound's taken a beating in the past five years too.

Thing is, the federal gov't is coming off as just plain mean. America has to do something about that. now.

I avoid this thread like the plague mostly, but someone told me to look here.

I think what gets me is that (and this is a broad generalization here) people who are not *in* america tend to think we are all ignorant to the fact that our federal govt sucks.

We know it.
We feel the economic hit of it every freakin' day.
We feel it in the deaths of our loved ones in this lonely war, every day.

Should I point out the flaws in *all* the federal govts everywhere? Great, focus on the US so you can ignore what's going on in your backyard. But, do you see US-ers on here filling up threads on stereotypes of other countries? Didn't think so.

"It needs to stop now." Yeah. Easy to say. Can you change your govt? Prolly no easier than we can ours.
Our voting system is antiquated and worthless. We can vote for who we want til we're blue in the face but in the end and electoral college makes the decision...not "we the people". There is *alot* that is screwed up here.

And it's really, really freakin hard to not notice how "alone" we are when we come on the internet to these supposed havens of open mindedness, like HoP, to have the judgements based solely on the fact that we were born someplace thrown in our faces as if we should be disgraced.

What someone needs to explain to me is how this entire thread is not petty and rude? How is it taking the higher ground and proving your country better? I am so sick of people from other countries taking the supposed "higher ground" when not only in the history of thier countries did their leaders wage war (but that's the distant past so it doesn't count, I forgot) AND they make ignorant blanket judgements on americans...which is one of the things they actually hold against americans.

Hello pot, this is kettle...you're really, really black!

There are alot of wonderful things about the US as well, *ALOT* but people are blinded too much by their disdain for the government and blaming every other citizen here to actually take the time to see them.

And for what it's worth, I have never *ever* met a single american who thinks a canadian lives in an igloo. Not one. But I have met countless people abroad who believe that everyone here in america lives a lush life and believes whole heartedly in bush and the war. There is no bigger myth than that my friends.

Pele
Higher, higher burning fire...making music like a choir
"Oooh look! A pub!" -exclaimed after recovering from a stupid fall
"And for the decadence of art, nothing beats a roaring fire." -TMK

PeleBRONZE Member
the henna lady
6,193 posts

Posted:
 Written by: Stone

Lurch, Home of Poi is a peaceful, non-violent community. It is not America; the people that live here are from all around the world. Personally, I don’t like having a gun pointed at me when I’m online. I’d suggest putting up a more friendly avatar and showing some respect for other people in the community. Otherwise, you are just playing out the role of a stereotypical American. It should also be remembered that this is not forum for gun enthusiasts.

Stout, I was surprised to read that anti-American sentiment is so rampant in some places that people are saying they Canadian.

His avatar is fine. It is not denoting any violence at all in fact. I also find it to be rather lovely and artistic for what it is. If he feels it is representative of him, then it especially works.

Why is it, and this is a vague generalization here, that when anyone sees a gun it is automatic that it means violence? Have you ever shot one? There is such a thing as target shooting for sheer pleasure. Nothing gets hurt. And honestly, it's pretty fun. I *hate* even paintball because I can't shoot at another person. I love target shooting.
Guns are for so much more than shooting people and do not mean violence. The intention of the weilder is what means violence.

I was told when I travelled to say I was from Canada. I never have and I haven't had an issue. I think that if you have a bad tourist attitude, no matter where you are from, it won't get you off the hook.

Pele

3,556 posts

Posted:
hug sorry for the whining

Faith

StoutBRONZE Member
Pooh-Bah
1,872 posts

Posted:
Pele..at least you agree that your federal government sucks. Now if you can only convince the voting public of this fact then maybe you'll be on your way to electing a government that isn't so quick to invade other countries for their resources ( as per Alan Greenspan ) or ideological reasons.

It was the elected American president that polarised us into making the choice whether we support America or not by issuing the statement "You're either with us or against us in the fight against terror" November 2001.

So is this "lonely" war about oil as per Alan Greenspan ?

Or is it a crusade ? Matthew 12:30: "He who is not with me is against me, and he who does not gather with me scatters."

Most anti-American sentiment comes from stories we read in the media and the message received by those of us outside America is clear. We should be afraid, very afraid of America and her military, especially those of us living in secular countries with oil reserves.

Fear of Americans is just an extension of that message.

PeleBRONZE Member
the henna lady
6,193 posts

Posted:

Pele..at least you agree that your federal government sucks. Now if you can only convince the voting public of this fact then maybe you'll be on your way to electing a government that isn't so quick to invade other countries for their resources ( as per Alan Greenspan ) or ideological reasons.

It was the elected American president that polarised us into making the choice whether we support America or not by issuing the statement "You're either with us or against us in the fight against terror" November 2001.

So is this "lonely" war about oil as per Alan Greenspan ?

Or is it a crusade ? Matthew 12:30: "He who is not with me is against me, and he who does not gather with me scatters."

Most anti-American sentiment comes from stories we read in the media and the message received by those of us outside America is clear. We should be afraid, very afraid of America and her military, especially those of us living in secular countries with oil reserves.

Fear of Americans is just an extension of that message.

And yet Americans are condemned for being judgemental, for being ignorant to other cultures, for blanket statements and gross generalizations.
You don't find this to be the *exact* same behaviour for which we are being condemned?
Cause I sure do.

If people would actually educate themselves (they way they keep preaching americans should) then perhaps they would see this. But they don't. They stand and point and judge and be exceedingly hypocritical at the same time.

They elect corrupt people into their governments, and when their government screws up...what happens? Can they fix it immediately? And to the ones who try to blame the big bad bully Bush I say stfu, since it's pretty easy to say screw off. France did. Blame *your* politicians, *your* voters, not ours. We have enough to deal with.

Okay, first of all, I have always, as have thousands upon millions of Americans, said this war is about oil not terrorism. How could it not be when GW was an oil monger himself? This is no new revelation. This has been going on since GW Senior was in office. It's a corrupt family business of people with delusions of granduer and intense amounts of greed at the helm.
Why does every single non-US person who makes this claim behave as if they are informing us of something new and breaking? It's old. It's obvious.

Quick and really abbreviated and fairly crude lesson in US voting. We have an electoral college. That is, the people that we trust to make our votes count.
We, the voters, listen to the schpiels. We go and we vote. Those votes are counted and tallied and sent to the electoral college. Representatives who go into the capital and are supposed to vote according to what the people in their constituancy have shown they want (according to our votes). So...one single politian is to represent thousands of voters. Voters say "Vote for Joe" and the representative is *supposed* to vote for Joe for us. HOWEVER, these are also corrupt politicians who can be bought and sold, who have an agenda all their own. When we vote, we are just like you...we vote for the lesser of the evils and hope for a shred of decency. Doesn't always work that way. It's why there are so many investigations into our elections lately. It's also why I said the electoral college, useless and antiquated. We aren't counting ballots by hand anymore (unless you're in Florida, and if they can't tech up, the should be kicked in the arse).

Here: the explaination from Wikipedia is quite lovely
"An electoral college is a set of electors, who are empowered as a deliberative body to elect a candidate to a particular office. Often these electors represent a different organization or entity with each organization or entity by a particular number of electors or with votes weighted in a particular way. Many times, though, the electors are simply important persons whose wisdom, it is hoped, would provide a better choice than a larger body. The system can ignore the wishes of a general membership whose thinking may not be considered. When applied on a national scale, such as the election of a country's leader, the popular vote can on occasion run counter to the electoral college's vote, and for this reason there are some who feel that the system is a distortion of true democracy in a democratic society."

See that last part? Yeah. Happens more than you think here.

The *entire* political system needs an overhaul imo. But it is so easy for you to sit and say "Now you can change it." Really, how? When our votes have the propensity to be worthless and our voices ignored, instead of pointing fingers and judging and entire nation of peoples on the idiot few, tell me how would you, a person with zero political power, change the entire system with one vote?

Pele

StoutBRONZE Member
Pooh-Bah
1,872 posts

Posted:
Well, we non Americans can't change it for you.

Pele. I'm not trying to inform you that the war in Iraq is about oil, what i am trying to inform you of is your president's insistence that it's all or nothing, black or white, with us of against us, and Iraq is a part of the war on terror.

So if i support only some aspects of the war on terror but not ALL of them, then where does that leave me with respect to Bush's demand ? There's no room for dialogue in there at all. btw, Canada said screw off too.

So am I mistaken in believing that the Republican party is duly reelected in the US ? That it was close enough to allow the fudge factor to put them back in power and they truly don't represent the wishes of the voting public ?

This thread isn't about comparing America to other countries, it's about America and where those stereotypes of Americans come from. Sure, there's some petty and rude things in here, like those videos, but those same stereotypes you mentioned above could be applied to denizens of any country...and we all know this.

The stereotypes we're dealing with here on HoP run toward the climate change denying ( that's over now ) fossil fuel gobbling ( read SUVs ) over consuming, garbage producing, and jingoism.

Are these only excuses to ignore what's "going on in your backyard" or mere specifically, what you're actually doing ? In some cases, yes, I'd have to agree.

pkBRONZE Member
Lambretta Fanatic
4,997 posts

Posted:
Ok.... so I was just taking a nice long soak in a hot bath cos I'm feeling shitty today and listening to the radio...
I listen a lot to the radio in particular Radio DeeJay in Italy, thank god for internet in this case... because I love this station... but anyway...

So very fitting to this thread, I heard an advert that I shall now translate.

So it starts with an American asking in Italian how much Coffee costs in a bar. The Barista replies, inside €2, outside €3, outside when it's sunny €4, in the evening €5, when the moon is out €7, full moon €8... then the Barista asks the American if he is American.. the American replies yes, the Barista replies coffee for Americans €10, then the Barista asks Are you from New York, in which the American replies Yes.... the Barista then says €12.

(The advertisement was for a store that price watches and was basically taking the piss and was meant as a joke)

But in Italy it is not uncommon to be ripped off if your a tourist. frown

I just thought that was quit fitting.

StoutBRONZE Member
Pooh-Bah
1,872 posts

Posted:
And contrary to another stereotype, one that's not found here on HoP, the one of the ugly American, at least the Italians had him ordering his coffee in Italian rather than demanding a cup a joe.

PeleBRONZE Member
the henna lady
6,193 posts

Posted:

Well, we non Americans can't change it for you.

Pele. I'm not trying to inform you that the war in Iraq is about oil, what i am trying to inform you of is your president's insistence that it's all or nothing, black or white, with us of against us, and Iraq is a part of the war on terror.

So if i support only some aspects of the war on terror but not ALL of them, then where does that leave me with respect to Bush's demand ? There's no room for dialogue in there at all. btw, Canada said screw off too.

So am I mistaken in believing that the Republican party is duly reelected in the US ? That it was close enough to allow the fudge factor to put them back in power and they truly don't represent the wishes of the voting public ?

This thread isn't about comparing America to other countries, it's about America and where those stereotypes of Americans come from. Sure, there's some petty and rude things in here, like those videos, but those same stereotypes you mentioned above could be applied to denizens of any country...and we all know this.

The stereotypes we're dealing with here on HoP run toward the climate change denying ( that's over now ) fossil fuel gobbling ( read SUVs ) over consuming, garbage producing, and jingoism.

Wow..aren't you the presumptuous one? eek

I didn't ask you to change it, did I? I asked what you would do and you gave a cop out answer. It's very easy to sit on a high horse and judge, but it's a whole 'nother matter when asked for a solution isn't it?

I can assure you that you are informing us of nothing. Have you watched any of our good ole speeches dealt out here by GW? The "Address the Nation" speeches? Probably not because you would have realized that your whole "I'm trying to inform you of..." is a very, very presumptuous and truthfully, ignorant, statement. Did you know that every time a country denied help in the war GW made a display here in the US giving the "If you're not with us, you're against us" redderick? All the time in fact, complete with the podium pounding fist temper tantrum style. Did you know we actually do have non-biased news here (or biased against him) that shows those types of speeches relentlessly..and those given overseas? Did you also know that he has stood up countless times and said, to us..."his people" that if we are not with him we are against him. That if we do not favor his view point then we are "committing treason", "un-american", "unpatriotic" and my favorite "no better than the terrorists".

Yeah. Didja get that? I am an un-american, un-patriotic, treasonistic terrorist in the eyes of my president because I do not agree with him.
So what was that you were saying about informing me?

Now, other points.

Let's see. That whole garbage study that was released internationally...did you read the fine print or research that one? The study was conducted solely in urban areas and does not take into account the amount of recycling, reuse and incineration that happens in many rural and suburban areas. Did you also know that because the strict guidelines for garbage that dumps don't just accumulate here. They are only allowed to get so big and then they are rolled over, mixed with dirt, topsoil is added and then sod. They have been turned into parks (we have a great sledding one near Niagara Falls) and land tracks for housing developments. Since this is land that previously couldn't have been used for such things, it is concidered turning it into useable property. So...that study, a bit off and slanted, and you bought it..as did so many, hook, line and garbage. In this area, in fact, we are required to recycle upon punishment of fine. And I *know* it is not uncommon nationally.

Moving on. When was the last time you drove the QEW in/around Toronto? How about 87 N to Montreal? Or even the busy streets of Vancouver? Have you looked at auto sales reports for Canada at all?
I've been on all of them and I can tell you that SUV's are just as prominent there as here. Incredibly so in fact. Every "hippy" I know up there owns one. Now, did you also know that if I were to go to Toronto and purchase a car to bring back here to NY that I couldn't without *alot* of upgrades to the emissions systems? The Canadian standards for emissions are not suitable for the US compatibility according to our Clean Air act. So your SUV's actually pollute more than ours, and you have just as many on the roads.

I stand by what I said. Look in your own backyard because people in glass houses should not cast stones.

Pele

StoutBRONZE Member
Pooh-Bah
1,872 posts

Posted:
Pele...enough of the condescension please, your country is not under attack here.

We're talking about stereotypes and where they come from. that's all.

What's the Canadian stereotype ? Something about being polite, back bacon and saying "eh"

I know Canada's "just as bad" as the US, and that we slip under everyone's radar when it comes to issues like garbage and SUVs we just don't get all the bad press over it like the US does.

But this isn't about that, unless you want to turn it into about that, which it appears you do.

3,556 posts

Posted:
but all my canadian, northern MN, WI, and MI friends say "eh"

(sorry, don't know what I was going for there. but they do.)
EDITED_BY: faithinfire (1192048827)

Faith

StoutBRONZE Member
Pooh-Bah
1,872 posts

Posted:
well there is some truth to that stereotype but it's more of a regional thing than a county wide phenomenon. It's sort of like stereotyping Americans as all having a southern drawl.

KaelGotRiceGOLD Member
1,584 posts

Posted:
So basically, all I learned from this thread is the stereotype that westerners like to whine and do nothing. wink

(nothing against ya'll, because I like you) hug

I think we established that unfounded stereotypes are bad when taken seriously...mmmmmk? But sometimes stereotypes can be funny as hell.

We should let the stereotypes that are negative spur us to throw off ignorance and work harder for the benefit of society. And we should celebrate our differences in speech, looks, and whatnot, because otherwise we'd all look/act like clones and be boring.

I wouldn't want to live in a world where everyone was the same, even if it was a perfect one.

LA/EDC glow/fire footage

Fresno fire

LurchBRONZE Member
old hand
929 posts

Posted:
Spur us to throw off ignorance? But then we just look like arrogant assholes because we're tired of people misjudging us.

And Thanks for the defense of my Avatar Pele
/me hands out the cookies

Page: