Forums > Social Discussion > stereotypes of americans...

Login/Join to Participate
Page: ...
KyrianDreamer
4,308 posts

Posted:
I'm mostly out to ask the people from England, Oz, and NZ, who supposedly speak the same language as us americans... heh.

Basically, I want to know what people's sterotypes of americans are. Obnoxious? Self-centered? Those are a few I've hit so far. But what things do you usually associate with them?

Keep your dream alive
Dreamin is still how the strong survive

Shalom VeAhavah

New Hampshire has a point....

Fire_MooseSILVER Member
Elusive and Bearded
3,597 posts

Posted:
 Written by: Blueberry

Aside from that it can be expected that if your country is the biggest economic/political power in the whole world there is going to be some resentment.

Right there, I mean thats it.

O.B.E.S.E.

Owned by Mynci!

Invader XanSILVER Member
Your friendly neighbourhood mad scientist
479 posts

Posted:
Funny thing is, as much as stereotypes exist, I've personally never met one.

I've met lots of americans, and none of them have been obese, arrogant, obnoxious or ignorant. Actually, all the american folks I've ever met have been lovely people.

In fact, the only stereotype I've known to actually fit the people I've met is the tendancy to be outspoken and slightly opinionated -- which I hasten to add, is not necessarily a bad thing. wink

By the way, hands up anyone who's ever made reference to English people having bad teeth. biggrin That is the stereotype image of us, isn't it? wink

"Love the art in yourself and not yourself in the art."
--Konstantin Stanislavisky

Rouge DragonBRONZE Member
Insert Champagne Here
13,215 posts

Posted:
I was talking to my flatmate earlier about how the KFC refresher towlettes used to have instructions for use on them. As if that's not stupid enough, the first instruction was "remove moist towel from packet"

We concluded that if americans dont want us to think they're intellectually challenged then they shouldn't export things like that wink

i would have changed ***** to phallus, and claire to petey Petey

Rougie: but that's what I'm doing here
Arnwyn: what letting me adjust myself in your room?..don't you dare quote that on HoP...

Pogo69SILVER Member
there's no charge for awesomeness... or attractiveness
3,764 posts

Posted:
people love to stereotype... they do it everywhere... how many of us would even know how to navigate a cd store, that didn't categorise their products into genres...? personally, I'd love it, cos I find the genres rather confusing... but, I digress.

I really don't think that the stereotyping of USAmericans is any worse, proportionally, than you'll find with other countries.

there is, however, more of it, because there's so much more to choose from... and no, I'm not being antagonistic (deliberately); it's merely an observation of the saturation of local media with american culture. and it's the stereotypical images that make people watch, listen etc.

--pogo (pat) [forever and always]

mcpPLATINUM Member
Flying Water Muppet
5,276 posts

Posted:
amen to that! Damn, I hate finding a really good song by a band, and then listening to bands 'like' the first band, and realising it's all crap, because they're 'like' the style of the first band, but not 'like' the style of the song I enjoyed. I hate that.

"the now legendary" - Kaskade
"the still legendary" - Kaskade

I spunked in my friend's aquarium and the fish ate it. I love all fish. Especially the pink ones. They are my bitches. - Anon.

Invader XanSILVER Member
Your friendly neighbourhood mad scientist
479 posts

Posted:
In Soviet Russia, stereotype fits you!

"Love the art in yourself and not yourself in the art."
--Konstantin Stanislavisky

WooktasticBRONZE Member
the kicker of elves
371 posts

Posted:
 Written by: Tracered

I don't exactly call every frenchman I meet a cheese eating surrender monkey,
Tracered

I do! biggrin But only ion the same way I refer to my dyspraxic, illegitmate self as a Retarded b*stard. smile

Man is no more than a conduit for excrement to pass through.- daVinci

Jointly owned by BurdA and Tinypixie

Wielder of the voice of Patrick Stewart

FireTomStargazer
6,650 posts

Posted:
 Written by: faithinfire

For the sake of this post, US Americans are a race

Or would it be ethnicity-whatever you want to call it. I really don't know. Race seemed to fill the requirements of the word I was looking for

Can we not focus on the little things, but rather the post as a whole? Or just ignore it.

Dunno... semantics: the only US American race I could refer to would be the American Native Indians. If you are bending backwards to make the point of some comments about/ against US Americans here on HoP being "racist" or "prejudice", I'd be okay with your definition. But why are you then not simply saying so?

Following the news (like the "Blackwater affair" or better "Order 17" for example) and other facts about the USA, I find it very challenging not to assemble them into something, vaguely resembling "stereotypes" but to keep focus on discernment.

There is a lot of good stuff coming out of the US too. Great philosophers and artwork, great inventions, great people - hey my ex-wife was even born in Hempstead, we got married in Cayucos/ CA and at some time were not sure whether moving to L.A. would be a good idea... Excuse me for not pointing this out every time I'm posting something critical about the US.

Guess I'd expect US Americans to really *have* as much patriotism and self esteem as they sometimes appear to. I expected them to simply absorb all criticism...

If some of my posts/ comments about the USA have made you feel uncomfortable, then I thank you for venting this. From now on I will keep an eye on my (political) bias. This has been/ is really nothing personal, but about politics. Trust me on that one:

I'm more a juggle r than anything else.
EDITED_BY: FireTom (1191605804)

the best smiles are the ones you lead to wink

Bek66Future Mrs Pogo
4,728 posts

Posted:
 Written by: Rouge Dragon

I was talking to my flatmate earlier about how the KFC refresher towlettes used to have instructions for use on them. As if that's not stupid enough, the first instruction was "remove moist towel from packet"

We concluded that if americans dont want us to think they're intellectually challenged then they shouldn't export things like that wink

Do you know what KFC stands for? It's one particular state in the US...and one where maybe they need those instructions...but generally, I don't think I know of an American that would bother to read the instructions before they opened the packet...it's pretty much self-explanatory...

"Absence is to love what wind is to fire...it extinguishes the small, enkindles the great."
--Comte Debussy-Rebutin

FireTomStargazer
6,650 posts

Posted:
ubblol umm and which state would you be referring to, Fyrespirit?

the best smiles are the ones you lead to wink

AnonymousPLATINUM Member

Posted:
I dont know what views on Americans people have I can only say this..... I dont like my government, I dont like the fact my brother has served 4 tours in Iraq because he is Special Forces, I dont like that my paycheck gets over 200 bucks taken out in taxes, I hate the fact that the court system is failing and only 1% of cases it works, I hate having to watch my parents struggle to make ends meet when my father is a Vietnam Vet, I really hate how trashy philly looks and the fact that on the news there is a murder or 2 every night, I could go on.......... But.......

What I want to know is why people think this country is so great when we rather go to war with another country for oil then fix the homeless problems here in our own country.

Being an American we are brought up to "want" way more then we need, to waste precious resources and to disregard others. We are raised in fear that "they" are going to get us. They= meaning terrorists, militias and crazy vets from the 60's. Our government has more of a hold on our news then what you think. They programmed the news to show us fear and its in that fear they control us.

"We are looking for weapons of mass destruction" George Bush shortly after invading Iraq.

"I never said we are looking for weapons of mass destruction" George Bush 1 year ago.

What our president does dictates what the world views americans as. If he flip flops on his words then we look wishy washy. At this point the world looks at Americans as gun toting yahoos and I dont know about some of you on this board but I know there are a lot of Americans out there with gun permits. It frightens me that the amount of guns that are floating around on our streets.

I am sure many people on this board remember Columbine and the more recent V Tech incident. Does anyone remember Jim Jones, Charles Manson, David Koresche? The world has crazy people in it everywhere but somehow we have spawned some of the craziest. The world sees this and judges us on this.

On top of it look at what Americans have done while vacationing. I have heard that Americans can be downright obnoxious when traveling. Well that plays a part on how we are viewed too.

Recently I had a incident with a Australian that was visiting. I found him rude. He was the friend of my BF and I had to be polite no matter what. I pointed out how rude he was to my BF and it wasnt until I said something what he noticed. Am I going to think all Australians are rude because of this? No, this is one person, he doesnt represent the country.

Well anyway, I can understand why people have problems with Americans but I dont agree with it either. We are all different.

*gets off soapbox*

polaritySILVER Member
veteran
1,228 posts

Posted:
And it's because we don't notice the people we stand side by side with that we see more of the other kind of Americans (or people of any differing nationality). There are plenty who are decent, rational and intelligent, but they don't seem so different so as to be noticed.

[edit]

There are plenty of people just like the kind of Americans we dislike right here (chavs) so there really isn't any difference at all worth stereotyping.
EDITED_BY: polarity (1191681008)

You aren't thinking or really existing unless you're willing to risk even your own sanity in the judgment of your existence.

Green peppers, lime pickle and whole-grain mustard = best sandwich filling.

LurchBRONZE Member
old hand
929 posts

Posted:
"...in the United States, where people still feel the need to carry guns because they live with the collective fear of slave and Indian uprisings of the past."
^^^^^^
That along side the 'gun toting cowboy/redneck' ones frustrate me the most.

AnueBunnie: No offense but if your brother is Special Forces (or in the military at all actually) he didvolunteered for it.

#homeofpoi -- irc.newnet.net Come talk to us we're bored frown

Warning: Please Do Not Jump On The Seals

TheBovrilMonkeySILVER Member
Liquid Cow
2,629 posts

Posted:
 Written by: AnueBunnie

I dont like that my paycheck gets over 200 bucks taken out in taxes

At the risk of running off at a tangent, what level of tax would be acceptable?

But there's no sense crying over every mistake. You just keep on trying till you run out of cake.

polaritySILVER Member
veteran
1,228 posts

Posted:
Someone has to pay for trash collection, street lighting, road building+maintainance, invading other peoples countries, etc. tongue

You aren't thinking or really existing unless you're willing to risk even your own sanity in the judgment of your existence.

Green peppers, lime pickle and whole-grain mustard = best sandwich filling.

PhaiGOLD Member
113 posts

Posted:
I've visited America twice, neither as a tourist. Though I did meet some rather oddball, and a few downright offensive Americans (one told my German friend to "Get the hell out of the Arlington National Cemetery" since he was the "son of filthy Nazi scum"), I found that most them were friendly, interesting people.

Yes, I don't always understand my American friends. I don't understand the immense patriotism that some of them carry. But it's not necessarily a bad thing. The important thing was that, when myself or my American friends were offended by an offhand comment or assumption that either of us made, we could quickly recognise and resolve it.

Of course I carry stereotypes of Americans, based on my own experiences - I was speaking to a guy in Albuquerque, and ten minutes into the convo he goes "Hey, do you speak English???" *slaps head*. However, I also had to encounter quite a few Aussie stereotypes in the US. I was forever asked to say in broad Aussie 'Help me, help me! A dingo ate my baby!'

But I knew everything was going to work out from the beginning - looking nervious, my first American host approached me with a smile. Only slightly hesitant, she raised a palm and said "Geee Day"

I laughed, tipped my hat, and said "G'Day" ubbtickled

natasqiaddict
489 posts

Posted:
Since I'm pretty stationary, I wouldn't say I have the best grounding for stereotypes. I understand that not all ___ are ___. etc

Doesn't mean I won't cack myself laughing when "Chaser's war on Everything" does a segment on Americans.

So, is laughing racist?

organic_poiSILVER Member
32 posts

Posted:
 Written by: Pele

Oh, and technically, Canadians are Americans, as are people from the South American countries, the names of the continents are N. and S. America.

[Frown]

Ahh! I know people who will fight to the death over that statement-not wanting to be connected with the states at all. In fact, while traveling, a lot of people I know have said, 'make sure you identify yourself as Canadian and NOT American, because people will treat you better.' Along with visibly wearing Canadian flags to show the difference. I know when my cousing had her wedding in the dominican, and had a major problem with the resort-the manager told her, 'Go back to your country you stupid American' after treating her like crap.

Anyway-I don't want to infer that one is better than the other!

Stereotypes that I have come across:

Americans believe Canadians live in Igloos.

Extremist beliefs towards patriotism and what they deem is 'their essential right'

Conservatist: against gay/lesbian marriages, abortions, racist (looking at problems existing in certain states still-ie. treatment of victims from hurricaine katrina). These ideals though are highly stereotyped-mostly attributed to political ruling and those who follow that ruling.

Gun happy. (also going back to 'essential rights)

And I wanted to comment to the person who discussed not liking taxes-I give about 1500 to taxes every month to the Canadian government (I don't make more than 31 grand a year)-so 200 is NOTHING. Pocket money if anything~!

Something to think about...

If you watch Survivor on t.v-how come they NEVER include ethnic groups other than caucasian, asian, african-american, latino... they have never had someone on there representing east India-or other Arab countries? These people do exist in America.

AnonymousPLATINUM Member

Posted:
200 out of each paycheck turns out to be 800 a month turns into 9600 a year. Sure its not as much as what you have taken out but I also have 6000 in hospital bills because I have no insurance to cover them. That 200 could go towards paying an insurance company money so I could get health care. I dont make much at all but I make to much for any type of aid to help with my son. I accept it but I do not like it.

Acceptable tax rate for me would be one that doesnt tax the hell out of people who need the money and taxes people more who have the money. I would not complain one bit about taxes if I had the money to pay for my needs and my sons needs. Health insurance is the big one for me.

Yes my brother willingly went into the military and willingly became special ops but I still do not think sending him into a war for his 4th tour is right. I also dont think sending his wife 3 months after having her daughter was right either. Now they are expecting twins and sending him over seas shortly before they are due. That doesnt seem right to me.

TheBovrilMonkeySILVER Member
Liquid Cow
2,629 posts

Posted:
 Written by: AnueBunnie

Acceptable tax rate for me would be one that doesnt tax the hell out of people who need the money and taxes people more who have the money.

You mean in a similar way to the federal income tax brackets that increase the tax rate for those with a higher income? umm

But there's no sense crying over every mistake. You just keep on trying till you run out of cake.

StoneGOLD Member
Stream Entrant
2,829 posts

Posted:
faith, when you say you have been really bothered by what you’ve seen at HoP, I think you might be confusing racism with criticism.

Racism has many definitions, the most common and widely accepted is that members of one "race" are intrinsically superior or inferior to members of other "races." (wiki)

Criticism is the act of passing judgment as to the merits of anything, eg. U.S. foreign policy. Criticism is not necessarily bad, and can be constructive if people are prepared look at what’s behind the criticism.

Written by:

I love America more than any other country in this world; and, exactly for this reason, I insist on the right to criticize her perpetually. James Baldwin

When I’m critical of U.S. foreign policy or the U.S. gun culture then it’s because I hope people will see the damage caused by these policies, and Americans in particular will, see the impact that these policies are having on the rest of the world.

For some reason, people living in the United States seem particularly over sensitive to criticism, and take any criticism of the United States, as a personal criticism. I think this could be because they see any criticism as an attack on their patriotism.

Unfortunately, what many people living in the United States see as patriotism, is often see by people living in other countries as nothing more than jingoism. Jingoism refers to sections of the general public who advocate the use of threats or of actual force against other countries in order to safeguard what they perceive as their country's national interests (wiki).

Written by:

Patriotism is your conviction that this country is superior to all other countries because you were born in it. George Bernard Shaw

However, I take your point, and will try to be more sensitive and less critical of Americans in the future hug

Lurch, I’d suggest that if you don’t like the stereotype of a gun toting cowboy/redneck, then change your avatar.

If we as members of the human race practice meditation, we can transcend our fear, despair, and forgetfulness. Meditation is not an escape. It is the courage to look at reality with mindfulness and concentration. Thich Nhat Hanh

LurchBRONZE Member
old hand
929 posts

Posted:
Naw I put that avatar up just for you and FireTom wink

StoneGOLD Member
Stream Entrant
2,829 posts

Posted:
Lurch, I get that, but it only reinforces the stereotype of a gun toting cowboy/redneck.

Some quotes for you:

Written by:

We cannot be both the world’s leading champion of peace and the world’s leading supplier of arms. Jimmy Carter

Written by:

We have the Bill of Rights. What we need is a Bill of Responsibilities. Bill Maher

Written by:

Illegal aliens have always been a problem in the United States. Ask any Indian.” Robert Orben

If we as members of the human race practice meditation, we can transcend our fear, despair, and forgetfulness. Meditation is not an escape. It is the courage to look at reality with mindfulness and concentration. Thich Nhat Hanh

LurchBRONZE Member
old hand
929 posts

Posted:
Not at all, it just shows that I'm a gun enthusiast. But it does show a lot about your stereotypes to read that as a crazy gun nut wink

StoneGOLD Member
Stream Entrant
2,829 posts

Posted:
Lurch, I don’t want to turn this into anything, but you are being provocative. Let’s just say that your well-publicised opinions fit the stereotype of a gun toting cowboy/redneck. So, it’s not difficult to see where you are coming from. Like, you already admitted it anyhow - “I put that avatar up just for you and FireTom”.

Bek66Future Mrs Pogo
4,728 posts

Posted:
 Written by: FireTom

ubblol umm and which state would you be referring to, Fyrespirit?

The one that my son's ex-girlfriend was from...nuff said!!!

Okay, I have one more thing to say in this thread before leaving it and staying away...because it upsets me...

Please, PLEASE...do not equate the general American public with our government, nor with the idiots that you see on TV...we are human beings, just like the general public of every other country, state, province...whatever, on this planet...and I could swear that we all bleed the same colour...so how about we stop arguing amongst ourselves over who's better...cuz that's what causes the wars in the first place...

I don't stereotype people from other countries...so please do me the courtesy of not stereotyping me because of where I was born...my ancestral heritage is Scotch/Dutch...with a bit of English, Irish and Italian...so I think it would be pretty damn hard to put me in one category...I'm just a crazy lil woman that loves people...of all races, religions, backgrounds...I don't discriminate...I believe in an equal chance to be a good person or to be an arse...(yes, I know)...the choice is yours...no matter where you live...

Peace, Love and Hippieness, to all...and to all...a goodnight!!!

"Absence is to love what wind is to fire...it extinguishes the small, enkindles the great."
--Comte Debussy-Rebutin

hamamelisBRONZE Member
nut.
756 posts

Posted:
Hm.. just gonna add my personal 2 pence.. Just from what I've encountered. I spent 10 months backpacking round NZ, and in that time I met 7 US citizens.

You may wonder why I bother saying that- but in that trip I must have met literally thousands of people in hostels.. but I can remember every single US citizen I met.. and I can probably dredge up their names if you give me a sec.

4 of them were some of the nicest people I met on the whole trip, the other 3 guys I was having to restrain myself from slapping .. The fact that, within 2 minutes of meeting one guy, he was laughing and boasting about how little he could get away with paying his illegal immigrant Mexican cleaner is *not* an endearing characteristic (comments like, 'I mean, I don't know how she can live on that much money, I sure couldn't, but she's got a kid too!')

I guess the only thing I can generalise is.. I've never yet met anyone from the US who is happy to blend into the background.. wink

Unless I just never noticed them.

By the way, for the 'I've been to England/Europe- I spend a day in London once' guys, I tell 'em I've been to America- I spend 4 hours in Newark Airport..

THE MEEK WILL INHERIT THE EARTH!

If that's okay with you?

faith enfireBRONZE Member
wandering thru the woods of WI
3,556 posts

Posted:
Look it is not criticism. Please read the post again where I describe what I've seen.
The response to Lurch's avatar is only evidence.

And I'm sorry but those taxes go to transit. It goes to pay medical bills for those who can't pay them (at least in our state). It goes to trash pick up and fresh water.

Military service is not forced. SpecOps doubly so. It's horrible to send our loved ones over there but it's their job.

Maybe what people see as patriotism is defensiveness. What other country is "criticized" as much as ours? Maybe we just get tired of being ripped on ALL the time. And then told we just don't know anything

Faith
Nay, whatever comes one hour was sunlit and the most high gods may not make boast of any better thing than to have watched that hour as it passed

StoneGOLD Member
Stream Entrant
2,829 posts

Posted:
faith, I think some of the reasons behind this wave of anti-Americanism are Bush, the invasion of Iraq, a refusal to take any responsibility for a rampant gun culture and a refusal to take any responsibility global warming, as in signing the Kyoto agreement.

It has been said that we shouldn’t equate the general American public with government. I don’t think this is a valid excuse. Living in a democracy gives people the freedom to vote. Vote wise, there was not much difference between Bush and Gore in the 2000 US election.

If people are apathetic they get the government they deserve, and the criticism that goes with it. This also leads to another criticism, that Americans are complacent and insular to world affairs. This does not mean that they are not responsible for any crimes committed by their government.

You say, judge Americans as individuals and not collectively. Yet you seem to go out of your way to support any American opinion, even if it seems detrimental to your own cause. Maybe this is a confusion between patriotism and defensiveness.

As far as the avatar goes. I said, “Lurch, I’d suggest that if you don’t like the stereotype of a gun toting cowboy/redneck, then change your avatar.”

Perhaps it’s me, but it’s seems contradictory to claim not to like being stereotyped as gun toting cowboy/redneck, and then put up a avatar of a big gun and aim it at specific people in the forum. It’s not a very convincing argument.

As said previously, I take your point and will be more sensitive and less critical of Americans in the future.

Rouge DragonBRONZE Member
Insert Champagne Here
13,215 posts

Posted:
 Written by: Stone

It has been said that we shouldn’t equate the general American public with government. I don’t think this is a valid excuse. Living in a democracy gives people the freedom to vote. Vote wise, there was not much difference between Bush and Gore in the 2000 US election.

If people are apathetic they get the government they deserve, and the criticism that goes with it. This also leads to another criticism, that Americans are complacent and insular to world affairs. This does not mean that they are not responsible for any crimes committed by their government.

By that reasoning then you fall into your category of selfish australians who think that Aboriginals are less than human and support everything else that Howard says on that issue. John Howard is one man.

George Bush is one man. Sure, people voted for him. Sure, many of those people share his opinion while others were naive and didn't understand what was going on. But he is still one man. And the population of the USA is how many?
And not to mention that the Republican Party suely must have platforms that aren't about the Iraq War and not signing the Kyoto Protocol and all those other bad things. I don't know US politics but perhaps he was a good voting option for other policies his party has?

I think those Chaser videos are hilarious, but I know that before going to air they're edited and are edited to be funny and show the rednecks who think (for example) that muslims should be incarcerated. But do I think that all americans think that? HELL NO! And anyone who does after watching those videos shows a sad reflection on THEMSELVES, rather than of Americans.

Written by: Lurch

Not at all, it just shows that I'm a gun enthusiast. But it does show a lot about your stereotypes to read that as a crazy gun nut

Provocative? Or raising a very good point?
I'm anti-gun but I think that Lurch raises a very good point with such a simple action.

i would have changed ***** to phallus, and claire to petey Petey

Rougie: but that's what I'm doing here
Arnwyn: what letting me adjust myself in your room?..don't you dare quote that on HoP...

Page: ...