Forums > Videos > Martial Arts and Poi?

Login/Join to Participate

replicon2member
4 posts

Posted:
Hey all,

I'm looking for videos of poi forms, performed at martial arts tournaments. Anyone know a good one or two? Thanks!

Dragon7GOLD Member
addict
625 posts

Posted:
Dude, they dont have poi forms at tournaments, well to my knowledge anyway. The only real place for poi forms is with traditional weapons (Mau Rakau, example Patu and Mere) and i doubt you could find any on the net, but if you happen to find any... let me know.

I do know that "Waka Huia" had an awsome demostration weapons video, matching anything iv seen on the net.

replicon2member
4 posts

Posted:
Hmm, that's kind of sad. Well, I'd really like to combine poi and martial arts and come up with some forms, but I need inspiration, and unfortunately, most videos I've seen are much more dancey than martial artsy... any recommendations? Thanks!

Dragon7GOLD Member
addict
625 posts

Posted:
Dantana and Jedi White have some decent stuff

So does Bender

DurbsBRONZE Member
Classically British
5,689 posts

Posted:
It's mainly because Poi is a dance, not a martial art..

Closest thing you'll find in Martial Arts is double chain-whip although this is very different to poi.

Burner of Toast
Spinner of poi
Slacker of enormous magnitude

onewheeldaveGOLD Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,252 posts

Posted:
One of the VHSs of the Shaolin monks performing martial arts troupe had a small section of poi moves with a pair of long chains. It was done extremely fast with martial type stances.

Any double nunchuk stuff would also be worth a look as the moves are very poi like.

"You can't outrun Death forever.
But you can make the Bastard work for it."

--MAJOR KORGO KORGAR,
"Last of The Lancers"
AFC 32

Educate your self in the Hazards of Fire Breathing STAY SAFE!

DurbsBRONZE Member
Classically British
5,689 posts

Posted:
That'll be double chain whip then wink

Burner of Toast
Spinner of poi
Slacker of enormous magnitude

replicon2member
4 posts

Posted:
Quote:

One of the VHSs of the Shaolin monks performing martial arts troupe had a small section of poi moves with a pair of long chains. It was done extremely fast with martial type stances.

Hmm, this is excellent, I'll have to look into it, thanks! Do you happen to know the actual title of the vhs?

Bender_the_OffenderGOLD Member
still can't believe it's not butter
6,978 posts

Posted:
okay two important things to know aboot martial arts twirling.
1 - don't train from videos, train with a teacher. a video will not save you. martial arts is easy to learn and totally difficult to master, and a video will show you incorrect, dangerous forms.
2 - there is no second point
3 - have the right choreography or it may very easily be mistaken for a bunch of violent kicking. with fire.

what is paramount for me is the Taoist addage: "do not mistake your finger for the moon", ie if your focus is on the *best* twirlage you can, then aim your time and energy on the best performance routine, which is not necessarily true to any martial arts form.
as with my food, i like chinese..

yummo.

Laugh Often, Smile Much, Post lolcats Always

replicon2member
4 posts

Posted:
Thanks for the advice. I've actually been doing martial arts for a while now, and am getting into creative forms. My instructor is definitely up for helping me out in this, I just need some inspiration. By no means do I plan to train from a video, I just want to see what it looks like. smile

DioHoP Mechanical Engineer
729 posts

Posted:
We've found a good one that has actual, pre-choreographed forms for single and double whip chains that use a lot of poi-style moves with them. I don't recall what the exact title was, but I remember it was a Wushu video and it was pretty decent length, dividing each form into the individual moves and showing them 2 or 3 times before streaming them together to show the overall form.

Just better hope you can do some Butterfly Kicks if you want to try them biggrin

What hits the fan is not evenly distributed.

DJ DantanaBRONZE Member
veteran
1,495 posts

Posted:
sorry, but we took down most of the old videos (the ones that had martial arts style stuff) the only one left which is primarily martial arts oriented is "BEGININGS". It features a sword form and it features Hal doing some basic sock poi twirling (turning weaves and corkscrews and stuf) combined with lots of kung fu kicking action ubblove I think she looks beautiful doing kung poi.... biggrin

https://www.flamingsphere.homestead.com/files/beginnings.wmv

we eat and we drink and we smoke and we try!

729 posts

Posted:
Which sword form was that? I thought it was just u playing around ubbrollsmile

DJ DantanaBRONZE Member
veteran
1,495 posts

Posted:
spank I told you yesterday... duh!!!

that form is called

Kan Keek Shoom Ash

ubblol

729 posts

Posted:
You disgrace Sato!!! mad

Manticoremember
96 posts

Posted:
The video I think you mean is "Shaolin: Wheel of Life" - has some cool chain stuff.

I learned the weave from Nunchaku before I even knew what poi were - Yey Martial Arts smile

When I am in charge everyone who is lovely will get a Big Hat. That will be THE LAW!!

729 posts

Posted:
Indeed, yay martial arts smile

Going up for my black stripes in a little under a month now... one rank below black belt in ITF Tae Kwon Do. It goes well with poi.

Manticoremember
96 posts

Posted:
Personally I do WTF but I've got a teacher whose done more-or-less everything, so he showed us some nunchaku stuff.

Does ITF do anything poi-like? I know very little about the organisation frown

When I am in charge everyone who is lovely will get a Big Hat. That will be THE LAW!!

729 posts

Posted:
Umm, our art doesn't involve any formal weapons training, no... pretty much once we hit green belt at my school, we're free to learn whatever weapons we feel like, and several of our black belts are experts in a variety of weapons forms and techniques so we have quite a variety of stuff available to us.

Like you, I've seen nunchaku forms that have a lot of poi-ish moves to them. Pretty cool stuff, and I will say poi has made me much more adept with the chucks smile

DJ DantanaBRONZE Member
veteran
1,495 posts

Posted:
indeed, I knew the weave from using kali sticks before I ever knew poi existed.

729 posts

Posted:

Non-Https Image Link

For the last time Mr. Reeves, you do not know Kung Fu.

IocaineSILVER Member
12 posts

Posted:
My brother was a 3 time competitor in the Wu Shu Kung Fu Nationals for dual chainwhip. Ill see if I can find a few of the videos we have of his competitions. They're probably burried in my parents basement (a flash of lightning and crash of thunder)somewhere. Though if you wanna do a search look for Wu Shu Chainwhip forms. Wu Shu is the most "acrobatic" form.

Iocaine

Bender_the_OffenderGOLD Member
still can't believe it's not butter
6,978 posts

Posted:
Will Farrel ROCKS!!!!
:bows at dio:

wu shu means war art and is often in the west is referred to as kung fu.
'Southern' styles are the the acrobatic forms described as 'flowery punches and embriodery kicks'
whereas 'Northern' styles are closer to the the original 'Lohan Fist' which is the base set of movements that most Wu shu style use.

northern and southern are distinctions sometimes used to roughly classify the origin of a wushu style, as the development of a wushu style can be traced back to which of the northern or southern wushu schools it was taught at, Shaolin (Shao forest) being the most famous/marketed wink

i like ice tea.

Laugh Often, Smile Much, Post lolcats Always