Forums > Social Chat > We're TNT, we're dynomite!

Login/Join to Participate

ValuraSILVER Member
Mumma Hen
6,391 posts

Posted:
OH MY GOD
here we are, innocent little fire twirlers off for a big adventure in melbourne... we have de wicked our staffs and put them into the luggage hold, snuck our poi into our suitcases and are quite happily being scanned for various metal objects...
as we walk through into the departure lounge a sercurity guy stops us and says "um I'll have to swab you both for explosives.."

We think he is joking and Im all like.." yeah whatever" and Arsn is like "you'll have to swap my PANTS then" with a big cheesy grin, and we both go to walk off and the guy is like... "im serious"

And we are both like "oh"
so he swabs our clothes and my bag and sticks in into some kind of machine and it starts bleeping and going all red with TNT FOUND...flashing all over the goddamn screen.
I was dumbfounded.
The security guy is all like "huh? TNT aye? You guys been in the garden lately?"

I larffed and said to him "im not the worlds most avid gardener, nor do I blow stuff up" he then seems to get all serious and says
"right, we will have to swab you again and if it comes back positive then we will have to take you aside and ask you some questions"
Im sure arsn's ass tightened at this stage

The guy swabs us again and I tell him of our firey pasttime and he just cracks up laughing, hes like "OHHHHH your one of THEM... do you go to Burleigh and twirl?"

Dumbstruck we nodd and attempt to smile through our scared shitless looks...

He advised us then that is the reason that the machine has shown up with the TNT cause its in KERO and that we should have a good flight.. (the pootah this time reads all clear)

what a freaky situation... Just wanted to share with you in case you are flying and they wanna swab you!!! eek eek confused biggrin biggrin

TAJ "boat mummy." VALURA "yes sweetie you went on a boat, was daddy there with you?" TAJ "no, but monkey on boat" VALURA "well then sweetie, Daddy WAS there with you"

WryTerraThe reason we say "European"
912 posts

Posted:
LOL! OH MY GOD. I can't imagine the look on your face...

Frankly if I was told I was gonna be swabbed for explosives "By the way, I spin fire, it's a performance art but it uses flamable liquids" would kinda be the first thing outta my mouth. And if not before, it *will* be now!

"We have done the impossible and that makes us mighty" - Mal Reynolds

"I can't tell the difference between an electron and a cat" - Brother of a friend

OrangeBoboSILVER Member
veteran
1,389 posts

Posted:
Hehe, glad you two made out of it okay!! hughug

I've personally never had a problem like *that* but I set off metal detectors everywwhere I go. Even when I have no metal on me! It's weird. And no, I don't have a metal plate in my head, that *I* know of!

~ Bobo

wie weit, wie weit noch?
fragst mich, wo wir gewesen sind...
du fehlst hier

Narr(*) (*) .. for the gnor ;)
2,568 posts

Posted:
awww ... i poop myself when the metal detector goes off when i walk through it.(espaecially here in Oman cos i dont speak arabic and some of the airport staff speak very little english eek!) i imediately look guilty i reckon ubblol so god know what id be like if that happend ubblol

she who sees from up high smiles

Patrick badger king: *they better hope there's never a jihad on stupidity*

AnonymousPLATINUM Member

Posted:
Never a good idea to try to joke with airport security.... umm

pounceSILVER Member
All the neurotic makings of America's lesser known sweetheart
9,831 posts

Posted:
oh ya, don't mess with airport security. i was on a conference in high schhol, and when we flew out, one of the people joked that he had a bomb. they held him for questioning and he missed his flight and the conference entirely. eek and this was all before 9-11

I was always scared with my mother's obsession with the good scissors. It made me wonder if there were evil scissors lurking in the house somewhere.

Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons for you are crunchy and good with ketchup.

**giggles**

OrangeBoboSILVER Member
veteran
1,389 posts

Posted:
Quote:

Never a good idea to try to joke with airport security.... umm

That is a good idea, but last summer when I was in the Toronto airport, coming back to Halifax, I set off the metal detector (like usual). The guard was female and she got me to undo my belt, and flip out my pockets, and check my shoes, etc. I was wearing these jeans that I wrote on ALL over (including signatures of many buskers from buskerfest!!) And she commented on it, and we started talking about what was written on my pants. So we joked around about that.

Maybe I just had a nice guard? She was all smiling like, and very nice. She must've been an odd one!

I did find it odd, because it was after 911, and security didn't seem any tighter than before; actually I thought it was less than normal umm Maybe it was because there were HUGE lineups? I dunno.

~ Bobo

wie weit, wie weit noch?
fragst mich, wo wir gewesen sind...
du fehlst hier

coza-Why-
126 posts

Posted:
am going to be flying out to New York with some of my fire stuff, and im guessing the security is gonna be pretty tight there. hmmmmm should be fun ubbloco

If money is the root of all evil, then why do people sell Bibles?

WryTerraThe reason we say "European"
912 posts

Posted:
joking about what's written on your pants is very different to making bomb or explosives based jokes, especially when THEY comment on it first wink

"We have done the impossible and that makes us mighty" - Mal Reynolds

"I can't tell the difference between an electron and a cat" - Brother of a friend

DuncGOLD Member
playing the days away
7,263 posts

Posted:
When I went to Barcelona a couple months ago coming home was a nightmare. The security guard was, for want of a better word, a complete a-hole. Then when I went through the metal detector it went off, so out came my keys, it went off again, so off came my belt, and on and on and I'm starting to get worried cuz I was running out of things made of metal and was wondering if it could be my scrotum pericing that was setting it off but it turned out to be the zipper inside my wallet....phew!! Didn't really fancy showing my nads to an unfriendly spanish security guard armed with a sub-machine gun!!

Let's relight this forum ubblove

Pink...?BRONZE Member
Mistress of Pink...Multicoloured
6,140 posts

Posted:
Thats something that has always puzzled me..how come piercings and such dont let off the metal detecter but other small things like a keyring would set it off? Am i just being completely slow and missing an obvious answer or something? umm

I have never *touch wood* had any problems with security before. But after reading this i shall definately make sure that if they ever stop me for a swab i shall say that i spin fire! ubbangel

ubblove

Never pick up a duck in a dungeon...

DuncGOLD Member
playing the days away
7,263 posts

Posted:
it's to do with the metal they look for Pink. some metals aren't used for weaponry and guns but I'm never sure what countries look for what. My piercing is made from Titanium and I guess that would be too expensive for a gun...but a small knife maybe?!

next time I'm taking TNT to New York I'm deffinately saying I'm a fire spinner....whistle.....whistle.... ubbangel

*waits for CIA and MI5 to read this and come knocking at the door in a matter of minutes*

Let's relight this forum ubblove

Psycho_lemmingSILVER Member
Running hippy spinning lemming
15 posts

Posted:
i'm hoping to take my poi to NZ with me in july - eek - actually NZ doesn't worry me, its the stopping off in random countries if i do that will be more entertaining!!!!

should poi heads go in main luggage or hand, cos dont lighters and flamable stuff have to stay out of the cargo bit????

my brother set off metal detector with his studded belt - ubblol, he had to take it off and wasn't allowed to wear it, they wanted to take it off him but luckily it was allowed in a bag!!!

Fear leads to anger; anger leads to hate; hate leads to suffering...

ValuraSILVER Member
Mumma Hen
6,391 posts

Posted:
Oh no no no
The gaurd was really nice!!! dont get me wrong!! He was smiling and laughing and stuff... It was just the way we completly assumed that he was kidding about explosivies that was soo funny... we just honestly thought he was joking around... ubblol

TAJ "boat mummy." VALURA "yes sweetie you went on a boat, was daddy there with you?" TAJ "no, but monkey on boat" VALURA "well then sweetie, Daddy WAS there with you"

originalsmitSILVER Member
addict
469 posts
Location: nottingham, england. cornwall wales denmark or pra...

Posted:
Quote:

Thats something that has always puzzled me..how come piercings and such dont let off the metal detecter but other small things like a keyring would set it off? Am i just being completely slow and missing an obvious answer or something

metal detaectors work by producing a localised magnetic field and looking at the disturbances in it when metal passes through. titanium isnt magnetic and shouldnt set it off.
i think surgical steel is about magnetic enough to trip them but a peircing should be ok.

bobo........... your just odd. maybe you have an iron pelvis or something and you just dont know

my original signature was tooo long.
this one is shorter

Pink...?BRONZE Member
Mistress of Pink...Multicoloured
6,140 posts

Posted:
Ahh anouther one of the worlds greatest mysteries solved biggrin Thank you Smit hug

ubblove

Never pick up a duck in a dungeon...

Kitveteran
1,269 posts

Posted:
see i flew down to kent and was really worried that they wouldnt like my bag... but they didnt seem to mind... just as well i put them in my bag, they started of in the side knee pockets of my mammoth jeans... biggrin

random murbles

BELTANE FIRE FESTIVAL. 30th april ~ Calton hill - Edinburgh
SAMHUINN FESTIVAL. 31st October ~ Royal Mile - Edinburgh

GottaLoveItSponge
883 posts

Posted:
So what exactly does swabbing entail??
It sounds pretty scary eek

Monkeys monkeys and bananas

ValuraSILVER Member
Mumma Hen
6,391 posts

Posted:
um they just have a little machine thingo with material on it that they wipe all over our bag and then they put the little bit of material in the machine. The End

mechBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
6,207 posts

Posted:
*runs in*

has anyone made the explosive personality joke yet, am i to late?

*huf-pant*
poor sweetie, on a long trip you get the one arse gaurd! still same there was no strip search im sure arsen would have laughed lots right until they said he was going first! eek

Step (el-nombrie)

EeraBRONZE Member
old hand
1,107 posts

Posted:
There's another test they do for ammonium nitrate based explosives which is a little probe thing they stick in your bag.

Ammonium nitrate is a common fertaliser. At the time I was an exploration geologist working with lead contamination in rural Wales having carried a number of soil samples the week before. Pretty darn sensitive those probes are.

There is a slight possibility that I am not actually right all of the time.

CharlesBRONZE Member
Corporate Circus Arts Entertainer
3,989 posts

Posted:
Don't forget that kero traces will often set off alrms at post offices and other mail houses where they regularly test for bombs...

Sending used firetoys by post or courier is a really bad idea... frown

HoP Posting Guidelines
* Is it the Truth?
* Is it Fair to all concerned?
* Will it build Goodwill and Better Friendships?
* Will it be Beneficial to all concerned?