WryTerraThe reason we say "European"
912 posts

Posted:
Can anyone recommend a good UK bank? I've had it with NatWest.

As if I didn't have enough problems in my life right now...

I received a phone call today because my account that was being handled by "debt management" (a fancy word for recovery agents) was 1,000 pounds overdrawn.

Now I saw a few problems with this statement.

I have no account under "debt management" to my knowledge, the account they were referring to had a 1,000 interest free student overdraft and finally, it wasn't IN overdraft.

What happened is they cancelled the overdraft facility last month, without telling me, then a week after they cancelled it, told me they were going to cancel it in six months, then they took 1,000 pounds for no good reason (they said themselves on the phone they had no idea why they had cancelled my overdraft OR taken the money) and because it had been this way for a month (cause they didn't tell me) it was now under debt management.

ARGH!

So come on, anyone know a good UK bank that won't **** me around like this?

"We have done the impossible and that makes us mighty" - Mal Reynolds

"I can't tell the difference between an electron and a cat" - Brother of a friend

BirdGOLD Member
now available in "advanced"
6,086 posts

Posted:
I've had an account with the Halifax for well over 10 years now, and I've never had a single problem, the staff always seem willing to help etc etc!!

My only problem is that I never have as much money in my account as I seem to need, but I would certainly reccommend them as a bank!

good luck with your account - sounds like a total nightmare!

beerchug peace

My state of mind is not yours to define!

There is a very fine line between "hobby" and "mental illness."

Tao StarPooh-Bah
1,662 posts

Posted:
i've had a lloyds account for my whole life - they're pretty good but they let you have a huge intrest free overdraft when you're a student which is pretty dangerous IMO.

I had a dream that my friend had a
strong-bad pop up book,
it was the book of my dreams.

BethMiss Whippy
1,262 posts

Posted:
HSBC!
I work for them so im bias but they are really good, ive had an account with them forever and they have really good interest rates, especially on high interest savings accounts (ISAs).

Get loads of info on all the different banks, then decide which is best for you and your needs, thats the only way you're going to get what you need smile

P.S. choose hsbc biggrin

peace

Aim high and you'll know your limits, aim low and you'll never know how high you could have climbed.

Tao StarPooh-Bah
1,662 posts

Posted:
another one to think about is triodos.

they ethically invest all the money that goes through them -not just in ethical companies, but in projects that ACIVELY make a difference.

Quote:

Triodos Bank only finances enterprises which add social, environmental and cultural value - in fields such as renewable energy, social housing, complementary health care, fair trade, organic food and farming and social business. We also finance fair trade and microcredit organisations in developing countries. We do this with the support of depositors and investors who wish to contribute to social justice within the context of a more sustainable economy.

they also have good interest rates, and although they're more of a 'long distance' bank, you can use regular cash machines and stuff.

triodos.

strong-bad pop up book,

912 posts

Posted:
Quote:

HSBC!
I work for them

Can you do me any under the counter deals? wink

"I can't tell the difference between an electron and a cat" - Brother of a friend

_Aime_SILVER Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
4,172 posts

Posted:
no one has mentioned Nationwide yet?
Im with them.....but then again i only have a savings account so i can't really comment *shrugs*

GottaLoveItSponge
883 posts

Posted:
Nationwide's a building society thingy... I have an account with them, my card got eaten by the hole in the wall and we've had the microchip scams here and so I asked them to cancel it (I'd just been paid) but they said they wouldn't but it was okay! I just put the pin in wrong (3 times!) - yeah I'm a doofus like that...

Monkeys monkeys and bananas

originalsmitSILVER Member
addict
469 posts
Location: nottingham, england. cornwall wales denmark or pra...

Posted:
yeah i agree natwest suck. they tell me
yes come in on this date and we will upgrade my account.
i come in
they say sorry we cant do this unless you provide
proofof adress X2
passport
dissasociation order from experian
full credit history
inside leg measurement
creamcakes
and 3 llamas

seroiusly i hate them i want to bomb my natwest

looks around for fbi agents

its ok im in england.

my original signature was tooo long.
this one is shorter

tiny_dancer_member
47 posts

Posted:
Lloyds have been mentioned already, but in my opinion they are pretty good, even if you're as much of a financial screw up as I am umm
Have you looked at any of the on-line banks like cahoot or smile?

Pink...?BRONZE Member
Mistress of Pink...Multicoloured
6,140 posts

Posted:
Smile is meant to be really good. My sister and my mum both use it and are always telling me to transfer my account with them.
Although i'm on HSBC which has done me no harm.

ubblove

Never pick up a duck in a dungeon...

trixyBRONZE Member
100 posts

Posted:
nationwide is a building society and they just charged me £55 for a £2 cheqe going over! mad

the best one for students in terms of value for money and security is cooprative bank and they are more ethicaly sound.

oh and one more thing, stupid lamahs!!!

luv trixy ubbangel

THAT'S ABOUT AS SENSIBLE AS STANDING ON A HILL, IN A THUNDER STORM, HOLDING A GOLF CLUB AND SHOUTING AT THE TOP OF YOUR VOICE /ALL GOD'S ARE *BASTADS* -THE GREAT TERRY PRATCHETT.

912 posts

Posted:
Victory is Mine

Natwest have, in a feat of unprecidented humility, given back everything they took away and admitted all their mistakes, hooray!

I'm still going to leave them as soon as humanly possible, however.

Tao StarPooh-Bah
1,662 posts

Posted:
isn't it natwest that give funding to arms traders?

could be wrong, but i thought i heard that somewhere...

strong-bad pop up book,

912 posts

Posted:
Probably, wouldn't surprise me.

Their CEO appears to be the devil himself, afterall.

DuncGOLD Member
playing the days away
7,263 posts

Posted:
Quote:

Victory is Mine

Natwest have......admitted all their mistakes, hooray!

Any chance of some compensation for your inconvenience?! Just to rub their noses in it till you leave for fairer fields?!

Let's relight this forum ubblove

912 posts

Posted:
I'm not going to ask. All I want is what's fair.

912 posts

Posted:
Who knows what natwest would give me if i asked? But all I ever want is fair. I believe in fairness and what's fair here is for my account to be restored to how it was before hand. That's all. It really hasn't put me out much, because it's been resolved so quickly.