Forums > Help! > Anyone know a cure...

Login/Join to Participate

tiny_dancer_member
47 posts

Posted:
... for a black eye and seriously briused pride frown

I know I'm new but my colleagues are seriously taking the piss after they caught me practising outside just as I tried to do a reel thingy and wallop myself in the face. I know I have slight impatience issues and should stick to the very basics before attemping other stuff, but it looks as though it should be so easy and it's not (at least, not for me anyways)...

ubbcrying

BlackassBlueass
183 posts

Posted:
Keep going 'cos you'll show 'em in the end!

biggrin

and spank all your disbelieving colleagues!

---------------------------------
Breathing fire doesn't look good on the resume - Everclear

DeepSoulSheepGOLD Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
2,617 posts

Posted:
Black eye's are cool. Just look at Panda's. Everyone loves pandas ubblove

Don't worry about not being able to do it yet. If it was that easy everyone'd be doining it while jogging to work and shopping in tesco and stuff.

The basic rule for all this kind of stuff is that...every move/idea/thing/deely seems really, really difficult while your trying to figure it out. Them one day you can do it for no reason at all. Then you wonder why you could do it just a minute ago. Then you put on your panda suit and do a happy dance ubbrollsmile ubbrollsmile

Hang in there it gets better. smile

I live in a world of infinite possibilities.

tiny_dancer_member
47 posts

Posted:
Thank you ubblove, I'm doing a half panda at the moment, maybe tomorrow I'll have a matching pair wink

I actually went back outside and tried some more and whilst I still can't do the reel thingy without hitting myself on the head or bum, I did actually manage a mexican wave, a few of them in fact. And one of the colleagues actually said that it looked good (though I can't imagine it looked much better than someone flinging tennis balls around their head).

I'm just way too impatient, I want to be able to do it now!
*stamps feet and has a tangle tantrum*
Ah well, will practise, practise, practise...

CodySILVER Member
That guy from Reno
556 posts

Posted:
Your just like my girlfrend. She's learning a reverse weve and has just about knocked herself out. She too gets frustrated, and the learning stops. Stay calm and take it all in stride, everyone and I mean EVERYONE has hit themselves learning poi. Injuries from learning are little red badges of courage, or in your case black and blue. smile It may not completely apply to you but I have a saying.

Pain is temporary
Chicks dig scars
and glory is forever

Keep up the good work and don't be afraid of hitting yourself, it will always happen. smile

Cody Canon
Controlled Burn, Reno Nevada

BlackassBlueass
183 posts

Posted:
Quote:

Keep up the good work and don't be afraid of hitting yourself, it will always happen. smile

Absolutely, more infact the more you do - I still get cheesed off sometimes (maybe that's nicotine withdrawal though mad

---------------------------------
Breathing fire doesn't look good on the resume - Everclear

GottaLoveItSponge
883 posts

Posted:
Something about vinegar on bruises but DON'T YOU DARE DO IT ON YOUR EYE
Noooooo I don't want an acidic eye on my conscience (sp?)!

Like the others say and Don't give up...

although... sometimes patience is a virtue.... then again there are those times when it isn't some time.

Monkeys monkeys and bananas

_Aime_SILVER Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
4,172 posts

Posted:
ouch, i walloped myself in the eye loadsa times, luckyly it didn't bruise...which is strange cos i bruise like a peach. bout a week ago i did a bicep wrap and it went around me ear instead of my arm, ripping my cartalige piercing out on the way...now THAT hurt. anyways...keep practising. you hurt yourself more when ur frustrated. if you find yourself getting really angry, have a break for a few minuets then go back to it. if its swollen put a slice of cucumber over it. takes the swelling down a bit and is nice and refreshing smile

Tao StarPooh-Bah
1,662 posts

Posted:
i had a huge bruise on the undernieth of my chin for ages from trying to learn the 5bt reverse weave and some ridiculous staff moves that i don't know the names of, all in the same week.

people kept thinking i'd been uppercut!!!

I had a dream that my friend had a
strong-bad pop up book,
it was the book of my dreams.

AdeSILVER Member
Are we there yet?
1,897 posts

Posted:
secret black eye cure:

a hot boiled egg

the egg needs to be peeled and hot, wrap it in something and place on eye.

Do this the day AFTER your eye went black and the colour will be gone within no time

CharlesBRONZE Member
Corporate Circus Arts Entertainer
3,989 posts

Posted:
Hitting yourself is the key to learning spinning...the more you've hit yourself, (on average) the more advanced you are...

Kinda lie juggling, the worlds best jugglers have dropped more balls on the ground than anyone else in the world!

(In my opinion) smile

HoP Posting Guidelines
* Is it the Truth?
* Is it Fair to all concerned?
* Will it build Goodwill and Better Friendships?
* Will it be Beneficial to all concerned?

MillenniuMPLATINUM Member
Hyperloops suck
595 posts

Posted:
From what I've gathered, there is no medically sound method for making a bruise disappear. You just have to wait for your vessels to heal and the blood to dissapate back away from the bruise.

I could of course be completely misinformed, and in that case ignore me completely beerchug

woodnymphmember
313 posts

Posted:
Arnica cream,in the homeopathic section of chemists.I use it on my kids and sometimes it works so well that when the bruises fail to materialise,my kids are pissed off cos they have no "war wounds" to show off! rolleyes

BUT you have to use it as soon as the injury happens to give it a chance of working....
EDITED_BY: woodnymph (1078733088)

Pink...?BRONZE Member
Mistress of Pink...Multicoloured
6,140 posts

Posted:
I have always found arnica works aswell biggrin Miracle cure from nature ubbangel

Never pick up a duck in a dungeon...

Kitveteran
1,269 posts

Posted:
i hit my self in the same eye three times yest and once square on the nose yesterday! and NOTHING TO SHOW FOR IT! can i have you black eye? just send it to me! I promise i'll look after it and show it off as it should be!

random murbles

BELTANE FIRE FESTIVAL. 30th april ~ Calton hill - Edinburgh
SAMHUINN FESTIVAL. 31st October ~ Royal Mile - Edinburgh

tiny_dancer_member
47 posts

Posted:
Thank you everyone ubblove
I will try a mixture of arnica and boiled egg (missing out the vinegar, I'll try that on the other bruises), but not sure how successful it'll be, brings a whole new meaning to the phrase "egg on your face"!!
Kit, you're more than welcome to my black eye!!

bubblishisFalse Eyelash
346 posts

Posted:
The best cure for a black eye is MAKEUP!!! I recommend concealor by Kryolan which is pretty hardcore stuff. But you could work it with maybelline and powder I bet.

Besides black eyes are all badass and sexy looking. The secret is to come up with a good story - like you were rescuing a baby from under a moving car. tongue

All the freaky people make the beauty of the world.

Tao StarPooh-Bah
1,662 posts

Posted:
not a black eye, but while we're on the subject of making up good stroies....

my mate in school broke her collar bone in-ine skating, but she was a bit hardcore (played on the boys rugby team!) so she told everyone she got it when someone tackled her on the field!!! ubblol

I had a dream that my friend had a
strong-bad pop up book,
it was the book of my dreams.

[Nx?]BRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,749 posts

Posted:
good cure, dont spin batteries for poi.

ubblol @ kit, thats cos your hard.

T wave

This is a post by tom, all spelling is deleberate
-><- Kallisti

simian110% MONKEY EVERY TIME ALL THE TIME JUST CANT STOP THE MONKEY
3,149 posts

Posted:
Quote:

while we're on the subject of making up good stroies....

UCOF fell down a door and walked into some stairs once

Then he tried to blame an innocent monkey's knee for his black eye

i just want to state that i would never attack Jon with any part of my body, attached or unattached.

i am a pacifist peace

Well, i'm really crap at hitting people really, but it's basically the same thing... ubbangel

"Switching between different kinds of chuu chuu sometimes gives this "urgh wtf?" effect because it's giving people the phi phenomenon."

mechBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
6,207 posts

Posted:
Quote:

Black eye's are cool. Just look at Panda's. Everyone loves pandas ubblove

Then you put on your panda suit and do a happy dance ubbrollsmile ubbrollsmile

the sexual harrasment panda dont have a happy dance

*sexual harasment pan-da!*

yeah, i have done that luckiny though i practice with soft poi while learning moves, so i suffer from lil brising, but most of the stuff i do is well wrong anyways, and parp so i dont worry anymore, i know im a bad spinner!

Step (el-nombrie)

mechBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
6,207 posts

Posted:
Quote:

Quote:

while we're on the subject of making up good stroies....

UCOF fell down a door and walked into some stairs once

Then he tried to blame an innocent monkey's knee for his black eye

i just want to state that i would never attack Jon with any part of my body, attached or unattached.

i am a pacifist peace

Well, i'm really crap at hitting people really, but it's basically the same thing... ubbangel

while not there to see the event, i was there shortly after and i would lik eto state that it was jon who used his eye socket to try to attack simians knee cap, and failed!

it was in no way teh monkeys fault!

biggrin

Step (el-nombrie)

DuncGOLD Member
playing the days away
7,263 posts

Posted:
something I found to help avoid spinning knocks and bumps was spinning with my eyes shut. Honestly it works....your brain starts to tell you where the poi are instead of your eyes and you instinctvely miss them when they fly towards your head! It's great to learn new moves with your eyes shut and you don't see all those people pointing and staring either!!

Hope it goes soon kiss

Let's relight this forum ubblove