coza-Why-
126 posts

Posted:
Right, ive been making my own costumes for about a year now and have finially ran out of ideas. Ive been trying to make some new fire performance clothes, but am not having much luck. Any ideas, pictures, sites or designs would be very greatfully recieved. What clothes do the rest of you wear?

thanks coza biggrin

If money is the root of all evil, then why do people sell Bibles?

Tao StarPooh-Bah
1,662 posts

Posted:
i normally go one of 2 ways -

1. the glow type stuff with plenty of uv and flashy bits,
2. masquerade stylie - lots of gold and silver, dolls faces, glitter and flotay bits.

I had a dream that my friend had a
strong-bad pop up book,
it was the book of my dreams.

coza-Why-
126 posts

Posted:
do u make your own stuff?

Tao StarPooh-Bah
1,662 posts

Posted:
yeah - although normally there's ony 2 or 3 of us, so i just scour charity shops till i find what i want.

if you're trying to do cosumes for lots of people that wouldn't work cos you wouldn't find enough of the same stuff.

my main technique is to add on to existing clothes, but i have been know to start from scratch. Kind of a mixture of bought and made really.

strong-bad pop up book,

coza-Why-
126 posts

Posted:
yer thats what i have been doing i also have some cloths that ive made from sctrach. they are probably my fav.
most my new fire stuff, is older clothes but cut up 2 be sorta revealing tongue

Tao StarPooh-Bah
1,662 posts

Posted:
the best find i've ever had is when i blagged the offcuts of a thing they were making in the props department of th theatre i work in. it was all fireproofed!

blag from theatres whenever yu can -they have great costumes and they fireproof everything cos of safety regs!

strong-bad pop up book,

coza-Why-
126 posts

Posted:
ok thats where i'll head next, ive got a natural talent for blagging, kinda helps when you're a student

Tao StarPooh-Bah
1,662 posts

Posted:
Good Luck! ubbrollsmile

strong-bad pop up book,

PeleBRONZE Member
the henna lady
6,193 posts

Posted:
Go to a fabric shop, or a craft dept., and go through the pattern guides. There are tonnes and tonnes of ideas in them.
Think about what style costumes you want (circus, historical, etc...) and then look for books/sites with photo's to pilfer from.

It's what I do! wink

Pele
Higher, higher burning fire...making music like a choir
"Oooh look! A pub!" -exclaimed after recovering from a stupid fall
"And for the decadence of art, nothing beats a roaring fire." -TMK

Tao StarPooh-Bah
1,662 posts

Posted:
and once you've decided on a look, don't forget to take practical things in to consideration.

for example, don;t make costumes with lots of floaty bits on cause they get caught in the poi!

also, make sure you can do all the tricks you want to, so you can't have baggy trousers if you want to do under the leg moves etc.

it might seem quite obvious, but i've made some stupid mistakes by not thinking it through.

remember - Perfect Planning Prevents Pathetic Performance!!! ubbrollsmile

strong-bad pop up book,

coza-Why-
126 posts

Posted:
loving the ideas, is it possible to post pictures into these messages. because i'll post some of my designs if you can, or want to see them. ubbloco

Tao StarPooh-Bah
1,662 posts

Posted:
i'll try to dig some out for you - not sure if i'll be able to scan them though cos i can only do it at college.

strong-bad pop up book,

coza-Why-
126 posts

Posted:
would be good if you could

ShawnieGOLD Member
Captain Shawnie the Dreaded
126 posts

Posted:
You don't really have to put a lot of work into it if you don't want to. I like to look intersting when I spin too. So in the winter time I'll spin in the snow wearing short sleeves and sunglasses. At night. People think it's hilarious and it's comfortable too. cool

coza-Why-
126 posts

Posted:
i also dont fancy freezing, hehehe

MiGGOLD Member
Self-Flagellation Expert
3,414 posts

Posted:
one thing im considering doing, is getting an entirely black outfit, from shoes to a black balaclava and gloves, and firespinning with that on. Hopefully, at night, it would be very difficult to actually see me spinning, all you could see would be the poi spinning around. would be a different, intersting effect, methinks.

"beg beg grovel beg grovel"
"master"
--FSA

"There was an arse there, i couldn't help myself"
--Rougie

LaavelBRONZE Member
21 posts

Posted:
I havent actually finished my costume, but this is the one i'm making first:

this one is the one i'm wearing most often, as its simple. black tank top and black pants, simple, yes? NO!! i'm actually sewing bells to the bottom of my shirt and pants, and for this style i'd actually like wings or something (mind you, i'd be wearing some drapping stuff, so no fire in this suit, no no) I'd also like to get a pair of bracers for my forearms and so forth. now you got me wanting to go and make this, now!! wee ^____^

Where has my heart gone, trapped in the eyes of a stanger

DurbsBRONZE Member
Classically British
5,689 posts

Posted:
I'm also a fan of black clothing in shows.
Personally - I'd rather see the circles of light, rather than the person performing them.

However, we've just had a booking come in for an "Out of Africa" themed party - We've been given a small budget for 4 cosumes - so shall be out scouring charity shops for suede underpants and leopard skin jackets.

Possibly

Burner of Toast
Spinner of poi
Slacker of enormous magnitude

squarefishSILVER Member
(...trusty steed of the rodeo midget...)
403 posts

Posted:
Yum, costumes!
I want to make mine out of black leather,
long pants and a sleeveles top, sort of like a karate gi but made of loverly shiny black leather (drool slobber) biggrin

Ahem, redface

My choice is made firmly due to safety constraints of course. wink

Leaher being very fire proof and nice and easy to wwwipe clean if any thing should spill dow.....
I DON'T HAVE TO EXPLAIN MYSELF TO YOU LOT!!!!!! devil

(...straps, mmm yes, nice and tight...)

-M-