Forums > Social Chat > How do you view Juggling?

Login/Join to Participate
Page:
hexagonicClubbles Jugs
1,687 posts

Posted:
I was going enter this on the end of the “poi as viewed by other object manipulators” but I thought that it just about deserved a thread of its’ own.

I am a juggler who just decided (about two days ago) to start doing more poi, I heard it should help with my juggling. I go to a spinning workshop in London and I am surprised that poi and staff spinners don’t complain that my juggling balls constantly run under their feet and across their pattern. My question is how is juggling viewed by staff and poi spinners – I’m not interested in what is harder to learn or master, but (some) jugglers seem to get annoyed about the amount of space taken up by poi and staff and I was wondering if poi and staff users get annoyed with jugglers balls/clubs running through their patterns, or if anything else annoys them about jugglers.

Hex

ah wah wah wah a wah wah

DurbsBRONZE Member
Classically British
5,689 posts

Posted:
From a distance...

Burner of Toast
Spinner of poi
Slacker of enormous magnitude

Red_RaveNGOLD Member
Neo - Hippie
358 posts

Posted:
About the helping part - I do poi and a little juggling and have started contact juggling a month ago. My poi style seems to flow a little more since then and I have learned a few new combos. Any combination of any arts will help you in a certain way. I don't know how poi would exactly help you with ordinary juggling cos it didn't help me : o) then again, I might be a born sucker in juggling : o) the only aspect I can think of is coordination but IMO CJing will help you more with that and you can also combine CJ with ordinary juggling...
And I have never had a space problem with jugglers.. only other poiers : o) and the arts are about love and sharing that means also sharing of space so not many people will make a problem out of cramped conditions : o)

Smile.. It confuses people..:)

Wonders never cease as long as you never cease to wonder.

simian110% MONKEY EVERY TIME ALL THE TIME JUST CANT STOP THE MONKEY
3,149 posts

Posted:
well, i have this kind of quasi-religious juggler-guilt that makes me feel i deserved it when clubs or balls hit me ubbangel

i can't juggle at all
i've tried a bit
it doesn't go
maybe someday it will
not today

i love watching juggling, but have trouble gauging "difficulty" sometimes.

i'm often most interested with crazy 3ball stuff that messes with your head.
because it's still complex, but the fewer components make it more rewarding and rich to watch for someone who lacks the ability to visually follow too many individual things at once.

i am a bit hardness dyslexic with finer points of juggling

although i was able to tell that mr hexagonic is (a bit) rather good at it

wink ubbangel

"Switching between different kinds of chuu chuu sometimes gives this "urgh wtf?" effect because it's giving people the phi phenomenon."

colemanSILVER Member
big and good and broken
7,330 posts

Posted:
i learnt contortionist (one arm behind the back 3ball cascade) on both sides in the last month with relatively little effort.

i think being able to do waistwraps with poi first helped this immensely - it meant my arms could easily move into the behind the back position, quickly with no stretching or over-extension.

as far as how poi'ers view jugglers at spinning workshops, i don't think i'm qualified to comment any more ubbangel

"i see you at 'dis cafe.
i come to 'dis cafe quite a lot myself.
they do porridge."
- tim westwood

originalsmitSILVER Member
addict
469 posts
Location: nottingham, england. cornwall wales denmark or pra...

Posted:
me i veiw jugglers with awe.
seriously i cant juggle for toffee i drop things too much. its why i like poi and now meteors so much. they are a bit harder to drop.
im probably one of these people jugglers complain about (if jugglers do complian. ive never had it) cos i move around lots and lots.
i feel it somehow compensates me for my basic lack of talent smile

and durbs. you scumbag thats exactly what i was gonna say.

fools seldom differ

my original signature was tooo long.
this one is shorter

DeepSoulSheepGOLD Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
2,617 posts

Posted:
I don't think I've been to any of said workshops. Except in a park, which doesn't have space issues.

Regarding juggling in general ... I can juggle a little but I find juggling really difficult. I also find it harder to learn new things and I get frustrated and tired far faster.

I think it's really cool though and I can only seems to focus on one main activity / toy at a time. Maybe in the future juggling will become number 1 for a while so I can put in the work needed to enjoy it as much as I do other things.

I really respect the skill and practice it takes, but maybe even more so that I have a few skills myself.

Only my second juggling convention this weekend and I plan to juggle as much as possible so maybe I'll be different next week smile
EDITED_BY: DeepSoulSheep (1078402393)

I live in a world of infinite possibilities.

hexagonicClubbles Jugs
1,687 posts

Posted:
It's good to hear that other people also find that different things you do help you with other things - my juggling improved no end when i started cigar boxes.

I was really wondering whether it annoys spinners that rogue objects from jugglers disrupt the flow of their pattern. For people who rarely 'drop' i assume it would get annoying having to stop every so often to kick back that juggling object. any thoughts?

Hex

ah wah wah wah a wah wah

3,149 posts

Posted:
not a problem cos it's easier to stop and start spinning than juggling

and every spinner has hit someone sometimes, so they're empathetic when you hit them smile

"Switching between different kinds of chuu chuu sometimes gives this "urgh wtf?" effect because it's giving people the phi phenomenon."

DomBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,009 posts

Posted:
How do I view juggling? Same way I view poi - fun, with a twist of achievement thrown in.

And I don't get anoyed by stray clubs and balls because, well, my drop quota is rather high. And that's what jugglers do - they drop things in attractive patterns.

3,149 posts

Posted:
Quote:

that's what jugglers do - they drop things in attractive patterns

*remembers seeing hexagonic surrounded by 7 rolling balls and a sprawling toddler last night...*

ubblol

*agrees with Dom*

hexagonicClubbles Jugs
1,687 posts

Posted:
thank you Simian, I don't think i managed to drop a ball on the toddler all night, then managed to trip her up whilst trying to find a ball with my feet whilst juggling four. Maybe the dropping isn't the problem after all... ubbidea

ah wah wah wah a wah wah

3,149 posts

Posted:
yup, its that 'Throwing' business. Just asking for trouble, i reckon umm

actually, just before that, i'd bonked her head with my poi eek

it's just lucky that jugglers kids are well 'ard biggrin

DuncGOLD Member
playing the days away
7,263 posts

Posted:
The only thing that bugs me when it comes to space invasion is when a pedestrian just walks into your strings or chains mid spin. Especially when it's in a wide open feild and then they give you a funny look or curse you for being in there way! How folk miss big balls of fire flying around mystifies each time it happens. Although it has been know to help learn a new stall to change direction when suddenly they turn up almost hugging you cuz they're so close....

As for juggling balls/poi getting in the way when they share space it's no biggie, just move along and try your best not to hit the others and should it happen it's always very courtious and nice and can help you to make new friends! biggrin

The other day I heard about a guy who could spin poi whilst juggling....eek....now that I'd love to see!

Let's relight this forum ubblove

Jelloambiguous
646 posts

Posted:
I've been hanging out with jugglers for 2 years now, its taken that long to finally give juggling a try. I mess around with it on and off, I can on occasion pull off a quasi clean simple 3 ball routine. But mainly I do that walk forward thing until I drop them. I find it fun, learning something new. Though I still have alot I want to do with poi, so what little time I have I dedicate it to that.

colemanSILVER Member
big and good and broken
7,330 posts

Posted:
Quote:

space invasion

ubblol

all this talk of poi computer games and we've been looking in the wrong area completely.

galaxians clone where lots of badly moving poi swingers replace the hoard of approaching galaxians and a juggler firing small bean bags defends the workshop from the impending invasion...

weavesmileyweavesmileyweavesmileyweavesmileyweavesmiley weavesmileyweavesmileyweavesmiley

weavesmileyweavesmileyweavesmileyweavesmileyweavesmiley weavesmileyweavesmileyweavesmiley

. . . . . . . . . .
Non-Https Image Link
. . . . . . . . . . .

umm biggrin

oh and bug - an example of one of those people who can juggle and spin is kev who lives and plays in london with us (dev kev to some or kebbie to a few of the upsidedown people).

he is great and can do most things.

multi-toy madness includes split-time butterfly with inverse cascade or reverse split-time butterfly with regular cascade.

i have also seen him try spinning a diabolo whilst juggling a 3ball shower and a 3bt weave whilst juggling (a very twisted plane) 3b mills.

neither work.

yet...

"i see you at 'dis cafe.
i come to 'dis cafe quite a lot myself.
they do porridge."
- tim westwood

brodiemanold hand
1,024 posts

Posted:
being hit by a juggleing ball is just a occupational hazzard as much being hit by a staff or poi at a spinney/juggley club your gonna get clubed at least once or twice, its also good for learning to weave in and out of people so you see by being there your making all the spinners and i suppose the jugglers too smile even better (including my self)

[Nx?]BRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,749 posts

Posted:
I dont think most spinners could give a toss, if youll pardon the pun (i dont think i can).

jugglers just stand there, and as a poi player your really used to diving through spaces with spinning poi, and the juggler is effectivly a piller, he isnt even moving! as for stray clubs and balls, well. Im practicing a move called double backwards airwrap suicide, and for this I have to pick a victim cos 50% of the time i know they are gonna fly straight out and hit someone. therefore i choose my victimj carfully as someone who wont mind gettinga poi in the head. (step forward the london crowd) so i dont think its a problem.

as for the benifits of mixed media ubblol I basically see juggling as an addition to my contact juggling, and also a good way to inprove my speed, and juggling pushes the reaction times harder than poi. Ive always been bi-spinnable, so another toy is just fine biggrin

my main beef with juggling is that it has taken so many good spinners! Cole, Jhonny et al have wicked stuff but spend far to much time playing with thier balls thease days and not enough fondling thier socks. Therefore i gotta go making moves up all by myself!

thank god the monkey cant juggle. :rolleyes: ubblol

T wave

p.s. love the invaders analogy cole ubblol

This is a post by tom, all spelling is deleberate
-><- Kallisti

Tao StarPooh-Bah
1,662 posts

Posted:
picking up stray juggling balls and giving them back is just another great opportunity to be nice to someone and maybe get to know someone else.

it's alsoa bit different, cos if you hit someone with poi they're still in your hand, and you can just move out the way. If you hit someone with a juggling ball it NOT in your hand and if you don't pick it up for them it'll be out to door in a matter of seconds. ubbrollsmile

I had a dream that my friend had a
strong-bad pop up book,
it was the book of my dreams.

MikeGinnyGOLD Member
HOP Mad Doctor
13,925 posts

Posted:
My view is it's all good. My feeling is that juggling is a more traditional and established art than poi, so while juggling is impressive and cool, everyone has heard of it, while poi is more novel to most people.

But I respect all performers as fellow performers who have worked hard to learn their skills.

-Mike

Certified Mad Doctor and HoP High Priest of Nutella

A buckuht n a hooze! -Valura

bluecatgeek, level 1
5,300 posts

Posted:
Quote:

my main beef with juggling is that it has taken so many good spinners! Cole, Jhonny et al have wicked stuff but spend far to much time playing with thier balls thease days and not enough fondling thier socks. Therefore i gotta go making moves up all by myself!

thank god the monkey cant juggle. :rolleyes: ubblol

teheee ubblol ubblol ubblol
don't you worry. they'll be back.

weavesmiley

Holistic Spinner (I hope)

oliSILVER Member
not with cactus
2,052 posts

Posted:
i view juggling as being:

a)something co ordinated people can do.

b)someting i wish i could do, and maybe will spend time learning one day.

wave

Me train running low on soul coal
They push+pull tactics are driving me loco
They shouldn't do that no no no

[Nx?]BRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,749 posts

Posted:
p.s. juggling is still not cool tongue

-><- Kallisti

[Nx?]BRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,749 posts

Posted:
p.p.s. seven catches of five today, and 8 of 4 out of 5.

-><- Kallisti

oliSILVER Member
not with cactus
2,052 posts

Posted:
Quote:

p.s. juggling is still not cool tongue

which makes it cool.... right?

confused

dR pSYcHoSILVER Member
88 posts

Posted:
Juggling Rocks!! cool

It helps emmensly with interchangable skills since staff/poi/sword/contact/devil stix etc., is (in my view) all object manipulation, skills from any can be transffered to develop new trix and come up with wierd combos.. As for juggling being traditional, I guess it is in one respect. Not cool though eek, soooo wrong spank! You try juggling clubs atop a 7m pillar at 4am in the morning, that is both exciting, cool.. And involves some degree of risk assessment; there are soooo many interesting places you can get to to do these things (especially if ur a climber too), the trick is doing it safely (kit can help here). It's a kinda form of urban graffetti really (which requires a bit of prior time, planning and practice), how many times do you think people drive down the road @ 2am to see a juggler on top of a signpost flashing a 3 club cascade with fire ubbrollsmile (for the sake of a photo, no point otherwise). I have many related grand staff plans.... May be slightly off the point but still... ubbidea Oh yes, that was it; fighting the traditionality of juggling - EXTREME JUGGLING!!

Juggling is something people with farr too much time on their hands learn ubbloco

taco taco taco taco taco taco taco taco taco taco taco taco taco taco taco taco taco taco taco taco taco Damn those MexICan BANdits taco taco taco taco TACOFICATION taco taco taco taco taco taco

oliSILVER Member
not with cactus
2,052 posts

Posted:
Quote:

Oh yes, that was it; fighting the traditionality of juggling - EXTREME JUGGLING!!

reminds me of a program i saw on channel 4 a while ago about extreme ironing..... ubbrollsmile

AchluophobiaBRONZE Member
Magical Sock Dancer
255 posts

Posted:
I think it's cool, trying to learn. Can't seem to get it though.
If I spun around a juggler, it probably wouldn't be annoying since I'd probably bother him just as much. smile

fake teeth and glueBRONZE Member
Checking who's online, watching you!
1,972 posts

Posted:
Quote:

Juggling is something people with farr too much time on their hands learn

i have sort of far to lots of time on my hands, i learn juggleing

Quote:

reminds me of a program i saw on channel 4 a while ago about extreme ironing.....

i saw that, it was wierd

you just lost the game!!!!!! !!!!!

knowledge is power, power corupts, study hard, become evil.

dR pSYcHoSILVER Member
88 posts

Posted:
Yeah, I discovered that last year some time... But I don't Iron, I spin/juggle... With exceedingly creased shirts in incredibly silly places ubblol

taco taco taco taco taco taco taco taco taco taco taco taco taco taco taco taco taco taco taco taco taco Damn those MexICan BANdits taco taco taco taco TACOFICATION taco taco taco taco taco taco

PyrolificBRONZE Member
Returning to a unique state of Equilibrium
3,289 posts

Posted:
I love juggling, but I started object manipulation with twirly stuff. the only thing I dislike about juggling is that some people who juggle give you attitude when you break out the poi, although of these most will welcome a bit of club swinging which is wierd...

even the worst ball juggler doesnt take up as much space as me on doubles (even if they are matchsticks, shuddap Tom wink) so I dont really mind. I've seen some wicked diabolo done recently tho with mucho dancey stylee...took up a lot of space, eh - I dont mind. I get a bit annoyed with people who deliberately invade my poi space when I'm on the dancefloor at Doofs tho - its like; dude! I'm dancing too! smile

Josh

--
Help! My personality got stuck in this signature machine and I cant get it out!

Page: