Staff Manmember
15 posts

Posted:
Recently customized my somewhat boring fire staff with eyelets and chains on the end for sum dubble wicking madness but i can atatch all sorts now which makes for grate viewing.

Ne1 els don ne customizations?

simian110% MONKEY EVERY TIME ALL THE TIME JUST CANT STOP THE MONKEY
3,149 posts

Posted:
i remember a guy i met ages ago who had a funky lo-fi technostick

it had all sorts of different led units and some bike lights and a tough plastic flourescent tube on it and load of other little bits and pieces and dangly stuff.

it also had a jet lighter on one end which was cool cool
but using it while spinning would be a bit tricky. never saw it attempted...

it was all bound together with duct tape and electrical tape, some of which had been melted so it was all tough and solid now.

and despite all appearances to the contrary it was really nicely balanced for spinning. although contact was risky due to strange shape and pokey bits eek

but i thought it was a quite awesome stick smile

"Switching between different kinds of chuu chuu sometimes gives this "urgh wtf?" effect because it's giving people the phi phenomenon."

originalsmitSILVER Member
addict
469 posts
Location: nottingham, england. cornwall wales denmark or pra...

Posted:
my housemate jordan in one of his more lucid moments of mushrrom fuelled madness decided to get all the sparkly things he could tape htem to a curtain pole and go a bit mad with a stik in the back garden.
seriously hes like a magpie. this staff had glowing chjanging flashing strobing light all over it.
then he dropped it and all the bits a. snapped or b. fell off
hey ho sellotape isnt a good staff consrtuction tool

my original signature was tooo long.
this one is shorter

Staff Manmember
15 posts

Posted:
im considerin putin two bars of wood in a cross each end and hangin led's from them for sum crucificial madnes.

Btw anyone know the ideal aperature (in f stops) to go wit a slow frame rate coz i have one of the kind of old cameras and i wanna try and get trails.

3,149 posts

Posted:
depends how fast you spin and what you want your pic to look like.

i reckon a one or one-half second exposure should be the shiznit you're looking for.

but experimentation is the route to enlightenment and injury smile

"Switching between different kinds of chuu chuu sometimes gives this "urgh wtf?" effect because it's giving people the phi phenomenon."

Staff Manmember
15 posts

Posted:
I'll bear that in mind. Does anyone have any idea if fire staff dueling looks good?

FaerieWithoutWingsmember
9 posts

Posted:
There'e a really funny video my friends and I made where I have my staff and my mate has his poi (all on fire), and we're deciding which is best by fighting. On second thoughts, that probably wasn't such a great idea...

Punkassemob***hmember
58 posts

Posted:
Quote:

I'll bear that in mind. Does anyone have any idea if fire staff dueling looks good?

If you're looking for a sparring partner, my friend Dave's built a fire three section that im sure he'd love to fight someone with... spank

You can always spot the moral victor.
They're the one bleeding on the ground.

EVIL DOES NOT WEAR A BONNET!- Mr Tinklestein

Mon the Biffy.

Tao StarPooh-Bah
1,662 posts

Posted:
i made my staff in to a glow staff by making little bags with ties on so i can put some light up hacksacks in and tie them to the end of the staff. Looks ok, but feels weird cos it's much heavier.

just a thought. i'm only a baby staffer though, so don't listen to me.
Non-Https Image Link

I had a dream that my friend had a
strong-bad pop up book,
it was the book of my dreams.

DeepSoulSheepGOLD Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
2,617 posts

Posted:
I wasn't going to reply cause I've never done this and I could be speaking doody. ubbangel But since everyone else's decended from Jonny Tightlips....

In my opinion a good way's watch some capoeria. Start slowly the way they do. Maybe have some kinda of system, like each person gets 2 turns to strike and the the first 2 should be horizontal high (so the other can duck) and the 3rd should be vertical, right of centre (so they can roll sideways out of the way).

That's just an example but the lesson is if you both know what's going to happen next and take turns and avoid, I'd imagine you could make a fight look good.

I live in a world of infinite possibilities.

Tao StarPooh-Bah
1,662 posts

Posted:
it looks f***ing amaaaaazing!

my daddy used to do fight direction (shakespeare stylie) with wooden sticks (as well as swords and stuff). I can't remember them all now, but i'm sure i could ask him and post some moves up if anyone wants any.

strong-bad pop up book,

addict
469 posts

Posted:
smit agrees the roda in caporia would be something to experience to get some idea of how to do stuff as it is all spin return spin return type movements.
i reccomend doing caporia generally as its good fun, but any sort of martial art would help. you can always alter a standard kata to be done by two people and make it so they miss each other. each person can then practice teir own kata remember it and when the two (three,four) of you all meet up youll know what your doing off by heart and the missing each other for real practice can begin.
just an idea

this one is shorter

Staff Manmember
15 posts

Posted:
Cool, Btw does anyone know why a staff throw (wit two icks on each end) comes out like an X sapeo long expsure?

Tao StarPooh-Bah
1,662 posts

Posted:
Quote:

Cool, Btw does anyone know why a staff throw (wit two icks on each end) comes out like an X sapeo long expsure?

maybe i'm stupid, but that didn't make any sense to me in the slightest.

strong-bad pop up book,

3,149 posts

Posted:
i understand it all, apart from the word "sapeo" confused

i've had it written on a post-it note stuck to my monitor at work today, since i read this post this morning, and have been pondering it's deeper meaning for some time without success. Its sounding more and more like the name of japanese car, though.

anyway, the questions pretty hard to answer without knowing what angle you throw the staff at (spinning horizontal or vertical), and where the picture is taken from.

But once you know both those it should be pretty obvious shouldn't it?

*thinks*

if it's an X shape then the staff is probably moving along the axis of rotation at a similar rate to it's spin i thiiiiink...

so a helicopter throw, yes?

as to why? well, um, because. That's where the ends go when you do that.

Bear in mind that you don't usually see or think of the world as a long exposure, so it's often different to how you'd expect.

Staff Manmember
15 posts

Posted:
Sorry it was the bluddy keyboard it meant 'shape on' but missd out some letters. I'll put it up in the pictures section soon

addict
469 posts

Posted:
okay if you think that a long exposure records every moment of the staffs path in a trail.
then think that in helicopter throw the staff rotates so that it creates a turning drag on the lens of the camera.
i have typed a crappy little diagram thus
imagine this to be the camera looking at the staff and with some massive feat of imagination think of these x's and dashes as a staff on fire being thrown in helicopter being veiwed by a camera.

X------------X side on again
...X------X turning back
........X to the camera at this point both the flames occupy the same space
...X------X turning
X------------X side on

asyou can see as you throw the staff up it 'drags' the fire over the lens in such a way as to create an elongated X
first noticed this with devilsticks when taking photos.

this one is shorter

Mr MajestikSILVER Member
coming to a country near you
4,696 posts

Posted:
yeh, on topic, one of my mates who does staff resently made a tri-sectional staff.
that being a staff with three sections linked by short chains, its really wikid but i almost axed myself useing it, and he told me a couple of days ago he put a wick on it which'd b awesome

"but have you considered there is more to life than your eyelids?"

jointly owned by Fire_Spinning_Angel and Blu_Valley