Zikiomember
4 posts

Posted:
Hi everyone,

I'm from singapore, small sucky lil island in south east asia.

Anyway, picked up spinning poi in koh phangan early this yr. Only a handful of people in singapore spins and I dun know any of them so I tried to spread the love of poi when I came back home, to my friends. A friend was spinning last night at a local park "Youth Park" when a group came to him and asked for a BATTLE! When he told them he just took it up and wouldn't mind spinning for fun with them, they still wanna battle with him. Thought only B-Boys used this term. Boy, was I wrong...

Anyone of you guys ever experienced this kinda thing before?

originalsmitSILVER Member
addict
469 posts
Location: nottingham, england. cornwall wales denmark or pra...

Posted:
poi battles?????????
well okay so me and duballstar and jon have had a poi battle before. it involves getting as far into your opponenets circles as possible and wrapping trick off them harmlessly it quite fun but you need long sleeves..the patent 'other people wrap'
its quite tricky. ever tried doing a strike or a sweep with a poi???
it doesnt work very well (for me anyway) .
to ma a poi battle would be a very well choreographed peice of work that looks like a battle but is very well put together over a long long time.
but no ones ever wanted a battle. rude boys coming along going 'let me try i can do that' is par for the course about once a month.

my original signature was tooo long.
this one is shorter

DomBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,009 posts

Posted:
It's a glow-sticking battle - it's got it's root in the B-Boy culture of 'battling' breaking moves.

First guy spins for 30 seconds and shows off, second guys tries to beat him, and cycle for a few minutes.

Realy good B-Boy dancing battles are amazing to watch. Glow sticking battle not so. Personally I don't like the glo-sticking style of continous wraps, but each to their own.

duballstarSILVER Member
slack rating - 9.5
2,216 posts

Posted:
i've never been 'challenged' either, even when glow stringing... i'm not into agressive competition stuff at all. a better mentality is definately just to spin with poiple and learn from each other because whether they're 'good' or not everyone thinks and uses poi differently and has something original to offer... it's not about spinning against poiple but with them! peace

that 'fight' we had the other night was pretty funny though smit! ubblol

It is our fantasies that make us real. Without our fantasies we're just a blank monkey' - Terry Pratchett

pounceSILVER Member
All the neurotic makings of America's lesser known sweetheart
9,831 posts

Posted:
ya people battle all the time in the circles i know. here it involves two people spinning and getting really close to each other without getting your strings tangled. the first person who messes up a trick loses the battle. it's actually kinda fun. we only do it with glosticks tho, not fire poi.

I was always scared with my mother's obsession with the good scissors. It made me wonder if there were evil scissors lurking in the house somewhere.

Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons for you are crunchy and good with ketchup.

**giggles**

MikeGinnyGOLD Member
HOP Mad Doctor
13,925 posts

Posted:
Did poi become a competitive sport? If so, why didn't I get the memo? rolleyes

-Mike

Certified Mad Doctor and HoP High Priest of Nutella

A buckuht n a hooze! -Valura

musashiistarring Skippy the green llama
1,148 posts

Posted:
would you want it if it came?

First intention, then enlightenment..
Ars Pyronomica

" Life is programmed. Whether death is programmed or not is yet to be determined."

pounceSILVER Member
9,831 posts

Posted:
it's less of a competition as it is for fun. all the people i know who do it take it really lightly, just as a way to practice your skills and learn new things. it's never about "i'm better than you"

I was always scared with my mother's obsession with the good scissors. It made me wonder if there were evil scissors lurking in the house somewhere.

Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons for you are crunchy and good with ketchup.

**giggles**

FrodoBRONZE Member
old hand
1,092 posts

Posted:
well ive used my poi to stop "battle" before, my mate was getting kicked in by three lads, and i happend to drive past with my poi, get out, light them, and then run at the lads,

Well all i can say is that they where quite efficent at both scaring and scareing!! also battering the c**p outta them!

ha

passing through, this world still lives.

FireSpiritSILVER Member
Classic 90's Fire Dancer... Poi, Staff, Doubles, and Breathing
743 posts

Posted:
Ha!! ubblol I think thats great! Scaring off the riffraff with lit poi!

I don't know about this Battle stuff though? confused Seems a bit Egotistical rolleyes And the fact they use silly little glowstics is almost insalting tongue
ubblol

FIRE IS ALIVE!
IT LIVES AND BREATHS!
IT CONSUMES, AND DISTROYS!
BUT WE CONTROL IT,
AND DANCE WITH FIRE!!

pounceSILVER Member
9,831 posts

Posted:
no it's not egotistical at all. at least not the way i've seen it done.

**giggles**

NYCNYC
9,232 posts

Posted:
It depends on the players. I think battles can be fun, and be absolutely amazing to watch as long as there's love for the art and the artists. Once it gets personal, it gets ugly.

Well, shall we go?
Yes, let's go.
[They do not move.]

SpitFireGOLD Member
Mand's Girl....and The Not So Shy One
2,723 posts

Posted:
I've actually done a choreographed poi battle scene. That was brilliant, and loads of fun. The performance was for a Halloween Gig here in Houston. biggrin

I've not seen the kind of poi battle folks are talking about here, though.

Solitude sometimes speaks to you, and you should listen.

DurbsBRONZE Member
Classically British
5,689 posts

Posted:
I've only ever been involved in a battle in the sense where you and a friend (who you know's a good spinner) just move in amongst each other trying to get as close as possible without tangling. Lots of fun (and quite a bit of hair-loss) often ensue biggrin

Burner of Toast
Spinner of poi
Slacker of enormous magnitude

mechBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
6,207 posts

Posted:
can i battle with my fire swords? mad

wink

Step (el-nombrie)

Same as Dostoevskiymember
54 posts

Posted:
About the poi-becoming-a-competitive-sport-and-the-i'm-better-than-you-thingies i can only say that i really support beerchug the dudes that take poi competitive. youguysrcool! if you don't take poi that way, lots of those, who do poi for fun (i beleive, i'm one of them) will have the example of higher level of technique'n'stuff, 'cause if you're into poi-becoming-a-competitive-sport/art?-and-the-i'm-better-than-you-thingies than you must be much better than me, and THAT means i got a lot to learn from you.
GO ON ALL OF YOU HOW DO!!!
TAKE POI AS A SPORT or breakdance of smth...!
It will be good for poi.
just always remember what P. De Coubertin told us about sport'n'stuff

МИР! peace

when it gets colder that -25, you don't really care