Forums > Help! > practice causing blisters

Login/Join to Participate

IcyFlamesBRONZE Member
3 posts

Posted:
hey guys...
ive just recently gotten into practicing for about an hour a day weavesmiley and am now getting huge blisters on my fingers (from where the leather straps are rubbing). any ideas on how to prevent this? or quick healing tips? i dont wanna cut my practice time down but fingers are starting to kill
THNX

MedusaSILVER Member
veteran
1,433 posts

Posted:
I used to get that too...there is no real cure but when you get them make sure you put Betadine on them...makes them heal faster.

You can always put bandaids on when you are practising....just remember to take them off to let your wounds heal.

The good part is when they heal the skin becomes stronger so it will happen less and less and eventually not happen at all.

It took me two months to stop ripping my fingers to pieces.

Good luck.

LurchBRONZE Member
old hand
929 posts

Posted:
athletic tape would probably help wonders. Could try moleskin (not actual mole's skin its a product to help blisters from boots and such) but I'm not sure it would work too well on fingers... I'd go with the athletic tape if its bothering you that much.

#homeofpoi -- irc.newnet.net Come talk to us we're bored frown

Warning: Please Do Not Jump On The Seals

oliSILVER Member
not with cactus
2,052 posts

Posted:
just live with it for a bit. i got blisters at first to when i started. but if you just spin untill it gets unbearable and then stop, and do that for a couple of weeks you form hard lumps of skin, and they dont hurt any more. think they might be called calouses. ive got them on the insides of my fingers from poi, and on my palms, from my bike smile

alternativly, get a new pair of soft handles, leather ones are really nice. (not that i use them)

weavesmiley

Me train running low on soul coal
They push+pull tactics are driving me loco
They shouldn't do that no no no

DomBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,009 posts

Posted:
Change your handles and find something that doesn't cause blisters. Try going to a fabric & leather shop and getting some cheap offcuts and experimenting. I find suede makes lush handles and I've still got no callouses.

UCOFSILVER Member
15,417 posts

Posted:
Cut your hands off.

Or.. use wider handles.

Spin slower (this really does stop you getting blisters)

Practice spinning with your féet when it gets too painful to spin.

Dance.

Laugh..

Smile.

RovoGOLD Member
(the person actually known as Chris Bailey)
544 posts

Posted:
This used to happen to me but it goes away with time.

Recently i started playing bass with my friends and for about a week i couldn't even type without some amount of pain due to the blisters on all my fingers. especially because i finger pick everything and bass strings mess your fingers up Though it was worth cause now everything is callused over and never hurts
biggrin

Peace, Love, Circles

Pink...?BRONZE Member
Mistress of Pink...Multicoloured
6,140 posts

Posted:
I used to have blisters now i just have hard bits of skin on 2 of my fingers where they have just been used to having poi handles rubbing against them! ubbangel

Never pick up a duck in a dungeon...

rbmnycBRONZE Member
lurker
194 posts

Posted:
Maybe trying new handles? I went to a fabric store and found really soft (almost suede) leather for my handles, and have never gotten a blister. Another thing - maybe you are holding on too tight? This was happeneing to a friend of mine - trust that the handles looped correctly through your fingers will hold and use the thumb and forefinger just to guide the chains ... just ideas.

happy spinning weavesmiley

CodySILVER Member
That guy from Reno
556 posts

Posted:
There is an old trapeese/gymnastics blister cure and it's no joke. Pee on them eek this works for atheletes foot too.

Try using rings or switching fingers. It will feel different, but you can still spin and not irritate the blisters. Plus changing things up can help you learn and break through dry spells and plateau's. biggrin Try putting your straps on backwards and spin palm side out. smile

Cody Canon
Controlled Burn, Reno Nevada

IcyFlamesBRONZE Member
3 posts

Posted:
thanks for the advice... ill try out the different techniques (but i think ill just have to wait the pain out). At least i have a high tolerance for pain biggrin

thnx

LurchBRONZE Member
old hand
929 posts

Posted:
Quote:

There is an old trapeese/gymnastics blister cure and it's no joke. Pee on them eek this works for atheletes foot too.

Don't forget jellyfish stings

#homeofpoi -- irc.newnet.net Come talk to us we're bored frown

Warning: Please Do Not Jump On The Seals

arsnHow do you change this thing???
1,903 posts

Posted:
Quote:

Originally posted by Lurch
Don't forget jellyfish stings

I do hope you mean "for" jellyfish strings...

I can't hear you... I have a banana in my ear.

"You mean I'll have to use my brain?... but I use staff!!!" ~ ben-ja-men

MillenniuMPLATINUM Member
Hyperloops suck
595 posts

Posted:
Nope, getting stung by jellyfish cures blisters. Slight side effect: death.

Tao StarPooh-Bah
1,662 posts

Posted:
get a good pair of gloves - not ideal cos if you forget to take them places you'll have to go without, but they're good for long stints of practice.

I had a dream that my friend had a
strong-bad pop up book,
it was the book of my dreams.