Forums > Social Chat > Need some Job advise..

Login/Join to Participate

KatincaSee my vest.... see my vest...
693 posts

Posted:
Hey Everyone,

I need some advice. I am currently working for a large international contract company. Which means there are times where there is more work then people available to do the work. I worked here last year for 6 months. I then resigned as my contract had finish, and went to the USA for a holiday. When I came home and tried to get my job back, they weren't busy at the time and I was unemployed for 6 months. Then, early this year they gave me another 6-month contract, finishing at the end of June.

Now Josh and I are intending to go/move overseas mid-July and do some work in the UK and visit some fellow HOPers etc...However, today I found out that this company will be under staffed during July/August because there is a huge project due then, which will require all resources flat out (Including me..).

Now everyone here thinks I am staying (not that they have renewed my contract, mind you) but I am not, and I am worried that if I say something that I will be discriminated against. Currently, I am being taught some new databases that would greatly benefit me overseas.

What do you guys think I should do...?

[ 11 April 2002, 12:12: Message edited by: Katinca ]

Love and Light

~*~ Katinca ~*~

arsnHow do you change this thing???
1,903 posts

Posted:
Talk it over with Josh, I think that half a year wont reall hurt you guys from going to the UK... if the new stuff that your learning can help you in the future I say rape this company for all it's worth!!!

I can't hear you... I have a banana in my ear.

"You mean I'll have to use my brain?... but I use staff!!!" ~ ben-ja-men

adamricepoo-bah
1,015 posts

Posted:
You're under no ethical obligation to warn the company that you won't be renewing this time around.

If the big project fell through at the last minute, they could choose not to renew you, even if you thought your spot was secure. And you've already shown that you will take six months off when it suits you--if they don't consider that possibility, that's their mistake.

This is a big company, like you said, and while I don't doubt you are a good worker, there are other good workers out there who can pick up where you leave off. It's not like your departure will be gutting the entire IT department. And the skills you're picking up now will be able to benefit that company when you return, if you go back to work for them.

Also, I'm curious: you say you're on a 6-month contract. Could the company fire you before then, or could you quit? If so, are there penalties?

Laugh while you can, monkey-boy

AdeSILVER Member
Are we there yet?
1,897 posts

Posted:
Katinca, in what respect do you think you'll be discriminated against? If you have a six month contract that expires in June, and you're off on holidays in July, you're under no obligation to resign a contract for another 6 months. Have they asked you to work?

Itsgottabmember
244 posts

Posted:
i see no problem for you, its all asumption from their side, they don't own you yet. just keep smiling

693 posts

Posted:
Yes, the company can give me 2 weeks notice and I can do that to them in that 6 month contract. I don’t get sick pay, but I do get 10 days Annual leave. That’s pretty much it. I guess I feel that if I pike on them in a time of ‘need’ again (I did this last year too) then when future employers ring them, they will bad mouth me, and say that I am not a very secure worker. But if I tell them earlier they could train someone up.

Then again, they are the ones that gave me the 6 month contract, it would have been different had they given me a permanency or a 12 month contract. Also I feel because I am going overseas to get experience then that will be a plus for future employers when I get back.

The real question is…when do I tell that I am going?

Love and Light

~*~ Katinca ~*~

adamricepoo-bah
1,015 posts

Posted:
Does the contract require you to give advance notice of whether you intend to renew? If not, I'd say you should tell them when someone from HR first asks "are you going to renew?" Or use the two-week rule, and give them two weeks' notice prior to the expiration of your current contract. Whichever comes first.

It would be a bit of a rude surprise if they called you in on the day of the current contract's expiration to sign a renewal and have you say "Sorry!"

I suppose if you're concerned about your future rep but also want to keep your options open, you *might* try feeling out people in HR informally without giving too much away, but that way is fraught with pitfalls.

Laugh while you can, monkey-boy

693 posts

Posted:
Thanks everyone, but it’s all been sorted, I might as well give you the low down if you are interested. And thanks a lot Adam, your advise was very helpful, even though I didn’t need to use it.

Anyway…. my team leader just asked me to join her in her office. She asked me what I was intending to do at the end of my contract, since last year I went overseas, they thought maybe I was going to do it again. I told her it was more then likely that Josh and I would be going to the UK in mid-July. She said, that was fine!! and to give her a date ASAP, so she can extend my contract till that date.

She also added, that if I came back and they had a lot of projects, I would be able to get my job back straight way. I told her that was great to know, and it’s more then likely that I would come back to Adelaide. I just wasn't sure when. Again she stressed they always need trained people, and that I was a good worker, and providing the work is there they would take me back. She even said that I should talk to HR about companies in the UK, and that I might even be able to work for the same company over there. She also added that they have all these recruitment agencies that I should try and gave me some information.

So it’s all Hunky Dory!

UK here we come !!

[ 11 April 2002, 18:03: Message edited by: Katinca ]

Love and Light

~*~ Katinca ~*~